ECT The Jerusalem above

Interplanner

When the expression 'anothen' (from above) was coined for NT use, it was Jesus speaking to Nicodemus about the Judaism he grew up in. Most of the NT is speaking to the Judaism that it was born into. That should make expressions like '...and have life more abundantly' look slightly different from using the expression about today's mass society or poverty contexts.

Judaism was stuck in literalism in many ways, especially about the law. Many of Nic's responses are a pretty sad indicator of such thinking. But a person in Judaism did need to be born all over/from above.

We learn later (Galatians and Hebrews being written later at least than the source material for John) that there is a Jerusalem above. It is also contrasted to the existing city, and not surprisingly, the existing one/below is in slavery with its children. In Galatians that meant it had not believed the Gospel and did not have the freedom of the Gospel. Each one 'stands for' each of the covenants that matter at this point: old and new.

The Isaiah 54 quote shows again that the Isaiah passage is not about Israel as such but that people who have faith are the children of the city above.

The children born the ordinary way persecute the children born of the Spirit, Jew or Gentile.

In Hebrews we know that the angel-delivered message, the priesthood and the covenant of Judaism all give way to the Christ/ian message that is now here. Likewise the cities. Ch. 11 goes retroactive, too, and says that even Abraham was not 'there' when he was in the promised land, because he was really seeking another city. 11:14+ must be handled delicately; it means Abraham was not thinking of Judea nor of returning to Persia; indeed, of no place on earth. There was to be a heavenly one, and it wasn't to be on this earth.

Vs 39 says none of these people (even David) recieved what had been promised. Because it is actually Christ's sacrifice that was being waited for.

Those who are in Christ (relying on and savoring his sacrifice for them) have come to the Mt Zion, the heavenly city, the fellowship of the cloud of witnesses, to all the believers of the past, and of course to Christ. This is not on earth, yet it is present tense. Those who have faith enjoy it.

Having said that in 24, he says that everything on this earth will be shaken (demolished, destroyed) but the kingdom in Christ will not. the universe will be shaken on the day of judgement. Then the NHNE will be made and it does not have exactly the same kind of corporeality. For ex., the Lamb is the temple.

Finally in 13:13 a nearly snide remark is made about Judaism and its sacrifice system, telling believers to get outside the (existing) city and temple, just like Christ's own death took place outside. Why? The city. We aren't expecting a city here. But one that is to come, that is currently above and enjoyed by faith.

The city he loves is his church and cloud from ch 12. In the Rev 20, it is violated briefly all over the world by the allowance God gives to Satan, but then everything is destroyed, or becomes a punishing lake of fire, while believers are elsewhere with God and Christ the Temple in the NHNE. In this sense, the city finally 'comes down'.

Needless to say, this whole sketch is entirely different from an episode of a city in Judea with Judaism up and running again. There is no such picture in the NT. It is all about Christ and in Christ.

Interplanner

Do you refer to all those elements which will melt in fire just prior to the Lord's return?

Right. This universe materials becomes the lake of fire. The NHNE is not the same corporeality: the Lamb is the temple. God is the light. There is no sun.

SaulToPaul 2

Right. This universe materials becomes the lake of fire. The NHNE is not the same corporeality: the Lamb is the temple. God is the light. There is no sun.

Irrelevant to my point. Who do you think was supposed to build the city, and failed?
Why does Satan have a counterfeit city? Yes, an actual city.

Danoh

What was the place Christ was going to prepare for his disciples?

:chuckle: - why do you play these questioning games - why not just state your case?

Case in point - Not only did He distinctly say MANY, but with-IN the Father's HOUSE.

He was not referring to "the place" but to Twelve chambers within the Father's House: the Temple.

He was referring to "a place" for EACH of them as Princes over Israel from WITHIN said HOUSE: The Temple.

As in our modern day phrase "Judge's CHAMBERS" WITHIN a Courthouse.

Feel free to correct me on my above stated understanding of all that.

Acts 17:11,12.

Last edited:

SaulToPaul 2

:chuckle: - why do you play these questioning games - why not just state your case?

Case in point - Not only did He distinctly say MANY, but with-IN the Father's HOUSE.

He was not referring to "the place" but to Twelve chambers within the Father's House: the Temple.

He was referring to "a place" for EACH of them as Princes over Israel from WITHIN said HOUSE: The Temple.

As in our modern day phrase "Judge's CHAMBERS" WITHIN a Courthouse.

Feel free to correct me on my above stated understanding of all that.

Acts 17:11,12.

I go and prepare a place for you...

Danoh

stay on topic; the topic is not so and so's ability to spell

lol - apparently not.

For were it the topic, perhaps then you might have typed the phrase "so and so's ability to spell" correctly.

That is to say - with quotation marks :chuckle:

Nevertheless, Rom. 5:8.

Danoh

"I go and prepare a place for you..."

John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go TO prepare a place for you.

My Father's House?

The Temple....

John 2:13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 2:14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 2:16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 2:17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

Many mansions?

Positions of Authority from within said Temple.

Matthew 21:33 Hear another parable: There was a certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round about, and digged a winepress in it, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country:

21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. 21:44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder. 21:45 And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Where were their seats or positions of authority over Israel within Moses' seat, office, or position of spiritual rule or authority over Israel?

Luke 2:45 And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him. 2:46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. 2:47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

The Temple has mansions, chambers, offices, or abodes, for the various offices, rulers or rulerships, or positions of authority, or princes, over the various aspects of Israel's spiritual life.

Case in point, again...

Luke 1:8 And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course, 1:9 According to the custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord.

That is a description of his "place" within all that - within said spiritual authority, rule, or office over Israel.

1:10 And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense. 1:11 And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense. 1:21 And the people waited for Zacharias, and marvelled that he tarried so long in the temple. 1:22 And when he came out, he could not speak unto them: and they perceived that he had seen a vision in the temple: for he beckoned unto them, and remained speechless. 1:23 And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house.

Where'd the guy minister from; and where did he sleep, during said days of his ministration?

Reread the various descriptions of "prince(s)" and their equally various "chamber(s)" within the Temple, as described in plans for the Temple by such as Samuel; Zechariah; the writer of Hebrews, etc.

Nevertheless, Acts 17:11,12.

Or as you might say - "oh." :chuckle:

SaulToPaul 2

John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go TO prepare a place for you.

My Father's House?

The Temple....

John 2:13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 2:14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 2:16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 2:17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

Many mansions?

Positions of Authority from within said Temple.

Matthew 21:33 Hear another parable: There was a certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round about, and digged a winepress in it, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country:

21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. 21:44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder. 21:45 And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Where were their seats or positions of authority over Israel within Moses' seat, office, or position of spiritual rule or authority over Israel?

Luke 2:45 And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him. 2:46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. 2:47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

The Temple has mansions, chambers, offices, or abodes, for the various offices, rulers or rulerships, or positions of authority, or princes, over the various aspects of Israel's spiritual life.

Case in point, again...

Luke 1:8 And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course, 1:9 According to the custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord.

That is a description of his "place" within all that - within said spiritual authority, rule, or office over Israel.

1:10 And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense. 1:11 And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense. 1:21 And the people waited for Zacharias, and marvelled that he tarried so long in the temple. 1:22 And when he came out, he could not speak unto them: and they perceived that he had seen a vision in the temple: for he beckoned unto them, and remained speechless. 1:23 And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house.

Where'd the guy minister from; and where did he sleep, during said days of his ministration?

Reread the various descriptions of "prince(s)" and their equally various "chamber(s)" within the Temple, as described in plans for the Temple by such as Samuel; Zechariah; the writer of Hebrews, etc.

Nevertheless, Acts 17:11,12.

Or as you might say - "oh." :chuckle:

Does not the 12 have their inheritance in the City?

Danoh

Does not the 12 have their inheritance in the City?

That's "Do not" not "does not" :chuckle:

And yes, they have their inheritance in the City - but He was not talking about that in John 14.

He was talking about their position of authority over all things WITH Him, one day, from WITHIN the Father's House: The Temple.

Lol, no wonder you remain off on aspects of Romans, Galatians, etc. - you're not being specific enough IN the finer things that differ WITHIN the things that differ :chuckle:

And my point in pointing such things out to you is not to knock you, but out of my own - ongoing experience - with the all in one question I ask myself - 'boy was I off on this (that, the other) - if I was off on this; what else might I be off on, that I might do well to perhaps re-examine? And what principles of study might I have neglected and or learn from this, and or perhaps further refine, as a result of this?'

THAT has always been my intent in my calling you on one thing or another.

Or as I used to end my call outs to you with...

In the spirit of Eph. 4:16.

Rom. 5:8