ECT The 4 major Christian baptisms

turbosixx

Of course the "öne Spirit" who is doing the baptism is the One mentioned here:

"There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all" (Eph.4:4-6).​

I agree that is the one spirit and we see one baptism also in that passage.

These people were baptized and were added, who added them?
41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.
Did the Spirit do the baptizing?

Do you have any supporting verses for your claim of "the Spirit does the baptizing?"

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Only the Holy Spirit can add a person to the church. Jesus was added to the church by the one Spirit through John and then began his ministry with miracles, wonders, and signs which the Father did through him. Later Jesus purchased the church with his death.

We are baptized into death through water to be added by the one Spirit to Jesus' church. We are then raised up out of our death to walk with Christ in a new life. Baptism is a demarcation in a person's life where the human nature dies and the Spirit nature begins.

Only the Spirit can beget the Spirit person who will later be born of the Spirit with immortality and a spirit body.

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
"In the sea" the all stayed DRY and walks across on DRY LAND.

That is NOT a water baptism.

It's not the water that baptizes a person, it's the one Spirit.

In 1 Corinthians 10:1-4 Paul explained, "Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ."

These first Christians were baptized into Moses who was their shepherd.

Isaiah 63:11-12 Then he remembered the days of old, Moses and his people, saying: "Where is He who brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of His flock?

Baptism is done by the one Spirit by passing us through water, not leaving us in water. The water is a symbol of the sea through which the Spirit baptized the first Christians.

And we have a different Shepherd, not Moses.

Jerry Shugart

Why is it not still in order?

Today there is just "one baptism" (Eph.4:4) and the "one baptism" is the one performed by the Holy Spirit (1 Cor.12:13).

Better question. What is the purpose of water baptism?

When water baptism was in order its purpose was to prepare the way for the Lord Jesus:

"In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight" (Mt.3:1-3).​

The people were to repent of their past way of living so that they could serve the Lord Jesus "in holiness and righteousness " (Lk.1:75).

So when a person submitted to the rite of water baptism they were pledging to change their past way of living so that they could serve the Lord Jesus in holiness and righteousness in the earthly kingdom. But due to the unbelief of Israel the earthly kingdom has been postponed and it will not appear until the Lord Jesus returns to the earth, as witnessed by the words of the Lord Jesus here:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand" (Lk.21:27-31).​

When the kingdom was postponed then the rite of water baptism was phased out since that rite was to prepare a people to serve the Lord Jesus in the kingdom.

Last edited:

Wick Stick

Ephesians 4:5 says there's just one baptism.

It requires action on the part of the one being baptized, the church, and God. And when we look at what each does, we may wrongly think there is more than one baptism, but they're all part and parcel of the same thing.

The baptizee must repent, and consent to be immersed.
The church must immerse, and recognize the baptizee as becoming a member.
God must impart His Spirit and power.

They're all part of the same thing - the adoption of a believer unto the Body of Christ. One baptism.

Jarrod

Right Divider

Body part
It's not the water that baptizes a person, it's the one Spirit.
So John was pouring water on them and the one Spirit was baptizing them?

Your story is very confused.

In 1 Corinthians 10:1-4 Paul explained, "Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ."

These first Christians were baptized into Moses who was their shepherd.
Yes, that was Israel. God's chosen people on the earth. His sheep ... see Ezekiel 34.

Isaiah 63:11-12 Then he remembered the days of old, Moses and his people, saying: "Where is He who brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of His flock?

Baptism is done by the one Spirit by passing us through water, not leaving us in water. The water is a symbol of the sea through which the Spirit baptized the first Christians.

And we have a different Shepherd, not Moses.
I have a HEAD and I am a body part.

Sheep need a shepherd, a body part does not. A body part needs a HEAD.

Your understanding is way off.

Jerry Shugart

Ephesians 4:5 says there's just one baptism.

They're all part of the same thing - the adoption of a believer unto the Body of Christ. One baptism.

No, men are the ones who baptize during the rite of water baptism. On the other hand, it is the Holy Spirit who baptize believers into the Body of Christ:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit"
(1 Cor.12:13).​

This is the "one baptism" for today. It is ridiculous to argue that water baptism is the one baptism to the exclusion of the baptism where the Holy Spirit baptizes believers into the Body of Christ.

DAN P

No, men are the ones who baptize during the rite of water baptism. On the other hand, it is the Holy Spirit who baptize believers into the Body of Christ:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit"
(1 Cor.12:13).​

This is the "one baptism" for today. It is ridiculous to argue that water baptism is the one baptism to the exclusion of the baptism where the Holy Spirit baptizes believers into the Body of Christ.

Hi Jerry and he has you !!

The KJV has that word BAPTISM and that is wrong !!~

The actual Greek word is BAPTISMA and it just there is only ONE BAPTIZER in the AGE of Grace , the Holy Spirit !!

Just check the Greek and LEARN !!

It is sure that the WATER BAPTIZERS will say it means IMMERSION , God have mercy !!

dan p

Jerry Shugart

Do you have any supporting verses for your claim of "the Spirit does the baptizing?"

When a believer is baptized into the Body of Christ he receives life. And it is the Spirit which gives life, as witnessed by these words of the Lord Jesus:

"It is the spirit that giveth life; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6:63).​

How could the Lord Jesus say that His "words" are Spirit and they are life?:

Because the gospel comes in the power of the Holy Spirit:

"For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much assurance" (1 Thess.1:5).​

And once again,we see that the baptism into the Body of Christ is "BY" the One Spirit:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).​

You need to learn to compare Spiritual things with Spiritual (1 Cor.2:13) and when you do that then it is evident that the Holy Spirit gives Spiritual life. It is impossible that "water" can give Spiritual life to anyone.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Hi Jerry and he has you !!

The KJV has that word BAPTISM and that is wrong !!~

The actual Greek word is BAPTISMA and it just there is only ONE BAPTIZER in the AGE of Grace , the Holy Spirit !!

Just check the Greek and LEARN !!

I've said all along that the only baptizer for the present time is the Holy Spirit.

DAN P

I've said all along that the only baptizer for the present time is the Holy Spirit.

Hi Jerry and so , if you say so , I do not remember as you do believe in WATER BAPTISM , CORRECT ME ON THIS !!

Did you check the Greek text on what the Greek word is in Eph 4:5 ?

You Baptists are over the place with DIPPING , IMMERSION , WASHINGS and CEREMONIAL , BAPTISMS and are very confused !!

dan p

DAN P

Cognate: 908 báptisma – baptism (note the -ma suffix, emphasizing it is a result, i.e. of sincere repentance.) 908 (báptisma) indicates submerging (dipping, immersion). http://biblehub.com/greek/908.htm

Hi and thank you jamie , so did you doubt me !!

At least you looked it up , but Jerry did not and the ONLY one more thing , as Translations are not Inspired NEITHER is VINE'S nor STRONG'S not Inspired , How do you like that and more common folk has a better understanding that most polished scholars !

All WATER BAPTISMS are so mis-understood and have no idea what BAPTISM means , do you agree ??!

dan p

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Sheep need a shepherd, a body part does not. A body part needs a HEAD.

Acts 20:28 Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

John 10:15-16 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father, and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have which are not of this fold, them also I must bring and they will hear My voice and there will be one flock and one shepherd.

John 10:11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Sir Robert Anderson, the father of systemized Mid Acts Dispensationalism.

He was also the head of the Criminal Investigation Department for Scotland Yard and he solved the Jack the Ripper case while he was there.

I've been intending to tell you, Jerry, that since you've been back and had that picture of Anderson, I've been going back and rereading some of his books, like 'Forgotten Truths', 'The Coming Prince', etc.

I appreciate your reminding me of his very valuable work.

DAN P

Hi Jerry , and does this mean , that WATER BAPTISM is out , and correct me ??

At least there are many that believe that there is more than 12 kinds of Baptisms!!

Where do you stand ??

dan p