ECT The 4 major Christian baptisms

Wick Stick

Baptism is for pickles and scuttled ships. No, really.

There's a fun manuscript from Biblical days with a recipe for pickles. It instructs one to baptize cucumbers in vinegar. There are a number of other Greek texts that refer to shipwrecked vessels as having been baptized.

The meaning is clear - baptism isn't sprinkling or dunking. Baptism is being submerged, and staying submerged. Sunk.

Are you sunk in the Holy Ghost?

DAN P

Baptism is for pickles and scuttled ships. No, really.

There's a fun manuscript from Biblical days with a recipe for pickles. It instructs one to baptize cucumbers in vinegar. There are a number of other Greek texts that refer to shipwrecked vessels as having been baptized.

The meaning is clear - baptism isn't sprinkling or dunking. Baptism is being submerged, and staying submerged. Sunk.

Are you sunk in the Holy Ghost?

Hi and if you mean SUNK , you have just pointed ouy those who drowned during NOAH'S TIME , WHERE only 8 souls where saved by a DRY BAPTIZING !!

dan p

DAN P

IMO, Paul meant there is one baptism into ...
salvation, the body of Christ, the church!

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body —
whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free —
and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

Hi and the Greek word BAPTIZO is a transliteratd word and it means PLACED into the Body of Christ !!

The Greek word BAPTIZO Has 12 different meanings in the bible !!

dan p

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
IMO, Paul meant there is one baptism into ...
salvation, the body of Christ, the church!

Salvation is by grace through faith. Baptism is an act of faith pertaining to the remission of sin.

Didn't John baptize with the Holy Spirit? But it's true he did not baptize with fire. That's the only difference.

turbosixx

I disagree with 1 out of the 4.

Just a quick look

Baptism into the church (salvation) --- the Holy Spirit is the baptiser (1 Cor 12:13)
This refers to being “born again (from above)” with the Holy Spirit entering the person.
7 verses say the Holy Spirit takes up residence INSIDE the believer.

While I agree we are baptized into the church which is how we are saved, what I would suggest is the Holy Spirit isn’t the baptizer but the adder. When we are water baptized, the Holy Spirit adds us to the church. That’s what 1 Cor. 12:13 is telling us. In the first chapter of 1 Corinthians, when Paul is talking about baptism they understand it to be water. In chapter 10 when he talks of the baptism of Moses, the readers would understand this as water. Same for chapter 12, they would understand this as when they were water baptized the Holy Spirit added them.

Here is an example of that very thing.
Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received (believed) his word were (water) baptized; and that day there were (HS) added about three thousand souls.
The Holy Spirit added those who had been (water) baptized.

Baptism in water (symbolic demonstration of faith) --- man does the baptising
Jesus died to self, went down under the earth, was resurrected with a new incorruptible body.
We are to die to self, go down under the water, come up a new man ready to live a new life.
Paul said, “Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel” (1 Corinthians 1:17).
I would like to see a verse that supports your claim that baptism is a “symbolic demonstration of faith”. That is not what Paul says about it.
Rom. 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

He says we have buried with him through baptism into death so that “we can demonstrate our faith”? No, so that we too might walk in newness of life.
Baptism is how we die with Christ. That‘s what the bible says.

Baptism with the Holy Spirit (mostly power for ministry) --- Jesus is the baptiser
John the Baptist proclaimed that Jesus is the One who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.
The baptism with the Holy Spirit comes after being born again (or at the same time).
7 verses say the Holy Spirit comes UPON the believer.

The bible only tells us of 2 times people were baptized with the Holy Spirit and each time was a special situation, the apostles on the day of Pentecost and the first Gentile converts.
It was directly from God and evident by speaking in tongues. Everyone else got gifts of the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands.

If you know of another instance, other than the two I mentioned, where the bible tells us it was baptism with the Holy Spirit, I would be glad to look at it.

Baptism with fire (extreme suffering for the gospel’s sake) --- Jesus is the baptiser
John the Baptist proclaimed that Jesus is the One who baptizes with fire.

I agree with this one.

Jerry Shugart

While I agree we are baptized into the church which is how we are saved, what I would suggest is the Holy Spirit isn’t the baptizer but the adder.

It seems to me that the Holy Spirit is the baptizer:

" For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit
" (1 Cor.12:13).​

What am I missing?

Thanks!

turbosixx

" For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Looking at the same book, is this baptism water or Holy Spirit?
1 Cor. 1:16 Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other. 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize,

The rest of them had been baptized by other men and they were claiming to be of whoever baptized them.
12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ."
That's why Paul was glad he only did a few so they wouldn't claim to be baptized in his name.
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name.
Everyone was baptized by someone. Was it water or Holy Spirit?

Chapter 10, is this water or Holy Spirit baptism?
2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

When we get to chapter 12 why would they see being baptized into Christ as anything but water?

Here is 12:13 in action.

Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

When they were baptized the Holy Spirit added them.

Right Divider

Body part
You're free to make up all kinds of stuff before your retirement,
butski I was referring to ...

Jesus asks His 12 disciples if they are able and willing to be martyrs after Him …
“Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and be baptized with the
baptism that I am baptized with? … You will indeed drink My cup, and be baptized
with the baptism that I am baptized with …” (Matthew 20:22-23, Mark 10:38-39)
That baptism is NOT fire.... it is DEATH!

Right Divider

Body part
Salvation is by grace through faith. Baptism is an act of faith pertaining to the remission of sin.

Didn't John baptize with the Holy Spirit? But it's true he did not baptize with fire. That's the only difference.
You're so typical of churchianity today.... mixing oil and water to make your religious salad.

Right Divider

Body part

What am I missing?

Thanks!
You ain't missin' a thing Jerry.

Right Divider

Body part
Looking at the same book, is this baptism water or Holy Spirit?
1 Cor. 1:16 Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other. 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize,

The rest of them had been baptized by other men and they were claiming to be of whoever baptized them.
12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ."
That's why Paul was glad he only did a few so they wouldn't claim to be baptized in his name.
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name.
Everyone was baptized by someone. Was it water or Holy Spirit?

Chapter 10, is this water or Holy Spirit baptism?

When we get to chapter 12 why would they see being baptized into Christ as anything but water?

Here is 12:13 in action.

Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

:nono: :juggle:
"In the sea" the all stayed DRY and walks across on DRY LAND.
Exod 14:22 (AKJV/PCE)
(14:22) And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry [ground]: and the waters [were] a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left.

That is NOT a water baptism.

turbosixx

:nono: :juggle:
"In the sea" the all stayed DRY and walks across on DRY LAND.
Exod 14:22 (AKJV/PCE)
(14:22) And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry [ground]: and the waters [were] a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left.

That is NOT a water baptism.

I guess Paul really messed this up. He should have said "they were baptized into Moses when they stayed dry passing through the sea". Strange he didn't.

If Paul's point is dry (no water), why does he add the cloud??

Is this dry baptism in chapter 1?
13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name. 1 6 Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other.

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
I guess Paul really messed this up. He should have said "they were baptized into Moses when they stayed dry passing through the sea". Strange he didn't.

If Paul's point is dry, why does he add the cloud??

Is this dry baptism in chapter 1?
13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name. 1 6 Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other.
Because baptism is about IDENTIFICATION.

When a piece of WHITE cloth is baptized into a BLUE dye.... it become a BLUE CLOTH.

Paul did NOT receive all of his REVELATION at ONE TIME. I know that is hard for many, like you, to understand.

In the church which is His body, there is ONE baptism and it's NOT water, or fire or ANYTHING else.

It's baptism by the Holy Spirit INTO Christ (into His DEATH).

Like it or leave it.

If you want to be in the kingdom with its water ceremony; good luck.

I'd rather stick with God's CURRENT revelation of the mystery and be in HIS body.

Jerry Shugart

I am not denying that believers were baptized with water when that rite was in order. What I am saying is that by the wording in the following verse that it is the Holy Spirit doing the baptism:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).​

This is saying we are all baptized into one body BY ONE SPIRIT. The one Spirit is doing the baptism. I don't know how what is said at 1 Corinthians 12:13 can be understood in any other way.

Of course the "öne Spirit" who is doing the baptism is the One mentioned here:

"There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all" (Eph.4:4-6).​

turbosixx

I don't know how what is said at 1 Corinthians 12:13 can be understood in any other way.

Ch. 1 - 13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Ch. 10 - 2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

Are these water baptisms?