ECT DEFINING SACRED TRADITION

Aletheiophile

I'm no more free to deny or reject any formal teaching of Christ's Church than I am to deny or reject Jesus Christ himself---as the Head goes, so goes the Body (Lk. 10:16; cf. 1 Tim. 3:15). Whether or not I adequately understand or am personally comfortable with---or happen to "like"---a particular doctrine is entirely irrelevant with respect to a teaching's truth-status.

Talk more. Not quite sure what you're trying to say.

Are you familiar with what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says on this point?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Actually, no I'm not. Would you enlighten me?

Cruciform

Talk more.
I like your style, brother. ;)

Not quite sure what you're trying to say.
Only that the criterion for whether or not I affirm and follow a particular Catholic doctrine is not subjective (whether or not I happen to like or prefer---or even agree with---the doctrine), but rather is objective (the fact that Christ's one historic Catholic Church teaches it as dogma). In short, my feelings and preferences have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not a doctrine is, in fact, TRUE. That's as clear as I can make it, I think.

Actually, no I'm not. Would you enlighten me?
Sorry. I thought that, since I have a copy of the Orthodox Study Bible, you might own a copy of the Catechism, which says this about the relationship of Catholics with Jews and Muslims:

838 The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter [i.e., the Pope]. Those who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church. With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist.

839 Those who have not yet received the Gospel are related to the People of God in various ways.

The relationship of the Church with the Jewish People. When she delves into her own mystery, the Church, the People of God in the New Covenant, discovers her link with the Jewish People,326 "the first to hear the Word of God."327 The Jewish faith, unlike other non-Christian religions, is already a response to God's revelation in the Old Covenant. To the Jews "belong the sonship, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and of their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ",328 "for the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable."329

840 And when one considers the future, God's People of the Old Covenant and the new People of God tend towards similar goals: expectation of the coming (or the return) of the Messiah. But one awaits the return of the Messiah who died and rose from the dead and is recognized as Lord and Son of God; the other awaits the coming of a Messiah, whose features remain hidden till the end of time; and the latter waiting is accompanied by the drama of not knowing or of misunderstanding Christ Jesus.

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day..."330

843 The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as "a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life."332

844 In their religious behavior, however, men also display the limits and errors that disfigure the image of God in them:

Very often, deceived by the Evil One, men have become vain in their reasonings, and have exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and served the creature rather than the Creator. Or else, living and dying in this world without God, they are exposed to ultimate despair.333​

845 To reunite all his children, scattered and led astray by sin, the Father willed to call the whole of humanity together into his Son's Church. the Church is the place where humanity must rediscover its unity and salvation. the Church is "the world reconciled." She is that bark which "in the full sail of the Lord's cross, by the breath of the Holy Spirit, navigates safely in this world." According to another image dear to the Church Fathers, she is prefigured by Noah's ark, which alone saves from the flood.334

325 LG 16.
326 Cf. NA 4.
327 Roman Missal, Good Friday 13: General Intercessions, VI.
328 ⇒ Rom 9:4-5.
329 ⇒ Rom 11:29.
330 LG 16; cf. NA 3.
331 NA 1.
332 LG 16; cf. NA 2; EN 53.
333 LG 16; cf. ⇒ Rom 1:21, ⇒ 25.
334 St. Augustine, Serm. 96, 7, 9: PL 38, 588; St. Ambrose, De virg. 18, 118: PL 16, 297B; cf. already ⇒ 1 Pet 3:20-21.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Aletheiophile

I like your style, brother. ;)

(Actually sister, but thanks!)

Only that the criterion for whether or not I affirm and follow a particular Catholic doctrine is not subjective (whether or not I happen to like or prefer---or even agree with---the doctrine), but rather is objective (the fact that Christ's one historic Catholic Church teaches it as dogma). In short, my feelings and preferences have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not a doctrine is, in fact, TRUE. That's as clear as I can make it, I think.

I would agree that truth is objective, not subjective. But I do not believe that objective source is the Catholic Church.

Sorry. I thought that, since I have a copy of the Orthodox Study Bible, you might own a copy of the Catechism,

Well, I am not Orthodox or Catholic. I was raised pentecostal, but in the past few years have become more alligned with Lutheran thought. I am currently being catechized at a Lutheran church, although I have personally studied theology and the biblical languages intensively for the past few years. But I do appreciate much of Orthodox theology and practice.

which says this about the relationship of Catholics with Jews and Muslims:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

I don't want to make the page overly long by quoting your kindfully typed/pasted excerpts from the Catholic catechism. For clarification, would you summarize the view in either one of these ways:

1. Because there is a seeking of God in other religions, there is some modicum of truth to be found. However, they do not teach the Gospel of Christ and thus are not The Way.

Or

2. Because there is a seeking of God in other religions, there is truth to be found and thus they are valid alternatives to Christianity.

The thesis of all of scripture is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I appreciate Catholicism for bearing Christ in the West. He is the goal of all tradition, oral and written. If the proper understanding of these passages is something akin to the first summary, then it would agree with the tradition of Catholicism. If it is otherwise, then would it not be contradicting Catholic tradition of upholding Christ above all else?

The ultimate question to ask of any doctrine/hermeneutic/"religion" etc. is the place of Christ. If He is the center, the source, and the goal, then it is Truth. But if He is not one of these, then He is none of them.

Thoughts?

Cruciform

(Actually sister, but thanks!)
Got it! :)

I would agree that truth is objective, not subjective. But I do not believe that objective source is the Catholic Church.
That's where we differ at the moment. I maintain that, because the Catholic Church is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D. (Mt. 16:18-19/Is. 22:22)---and has therefore been endowed by Christ with his own power and authority to guide and teach the faithful (Mt. 28:18-20; Lk. 10:16; Ac. 15:2, 6; 16:4; 2 Thess. 3:4; 1 Tim. 3:15; 1 Jn. 4:6)---the Catholic Church is thus the authoritative teacher of Christian truth (1 Tim. 3:15).

Well, I am not Orthodox or Catholic.
Sorry, I assumed you were Orthodox.

I was raised pentecostal, but in the past few years have become more alligned with Lutheran thought.
I was raised Methodist, spent a decade as a Pentecostal, and another as a Calvinist (Presbyterian) before entering the Catholic Church fifteen years ago.

For clarification, would you summarize the view in either one of these ways:

1. Because there is a seeking of God in other religions, there is some modicum of truth to be found. However, they do not teach the Gospel of Christ and thus are not in themselves The Way.
This is fairly close, though I've added a phrase to your statement for clarification.

The ultimate question to ask of any doctrine/hermeneutic/"religion" etc. is the place of Christ.
I would hold that the ultimate question to ask of any religion or "church" is whether or not it can demonstrate that it is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D. In the end, it all boils down to ecclesiology.

If He is the center, the source, and the goal, then it is Truth. But if He is not one of these, then He is none of them.
Yet how are we to know with certainty that a particular "church" has correctly represented Christ and his teachings? After all, my Mormon friend maintains and believes that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon church) has Christ as "the center, source, and goal"---is Mormonism, then, "Truth"? My point is: Who can tell us with authoritative certainty who Jesus Christ actually IS in the first place but that one historic Church that Christ himself founded and endowed with his own binding doctrinal authority? For me, the Body explains the Head. Thus, the question of the Church necessarily precedes all others.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Aletheiophile

Got it! :)

That's where we differ at the moment. I maintain that, because the Catholic Church is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D. (Mt. 16:18-19/Is. 22:22)---and has therefore been endowed by Christ with his own power and authority to guide and teach the faithful (Mt. 28:18-20; Lk. 10:16; Ac. 15:2, 6; 16:4; 2 Thess. 3:4; 1 Tim. 3:15; 1 Jn. 4:6)---the Catholic Church is thus the authoritative teacher of Christian truth (1 Tim. 3:15).

Sorry, I assumed you were Orthodox.

I was raised Methodist, spent a decade as a Pentecostal, and another as a Calvinist (Presbyterian) before entering the Catholic Church fifteen years ago.

This is fairly close, though I've added a phrase to your statement for clarification.

I would hold that the ultimate question to ask of any religion or "church" is whether or not it can demonstrate that it is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D. In the end, it all boils down to ecclesiology.

Yet how are we to know with certainty that a particular "church" has correctly represented Christ and his teachings? After all, my Mormon friend maintains and believes that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon church) has Christ as "the center, source, and goal"---is Mormonism, then, "Truth"? My point is: Who can tell us with authoritative certainty who Jesus Christ actually IS in the first place but that one historic Church that Christ himself founded and endowed with his own binding doctrinal authority? For me, the Body explains the Head. Thus, the question of the Church necessarily precedes all others.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Fair enough. We shall agree to disagree at this point. We agree on enough points, and I have more differences with dispensationalists than with you. I can understand and appreciate why you would stand by the catholic church, even though I disagree. (For it could also be argued that the Orthodox is the original church, or even BOTH Catholic and Orthodox. How many people would even say that?)

If by presupposition, we both strongly view authority in different ways, arguing and proof-texting won't really get us anywhere. But I look forward to future discussion on other points! :)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
(For it could also be argued that the Orthodox is the original church...

The Coptic Orthodox Church is one of the most ancient Churches in the world, founded in the first century in Egypt by Saint Mark the Apostle and writer of the second Gospel of the New Testament. (copticcentre.com)​

Cruciform

For it could also be argued that the Orthodox is the original church...
...except that the Orthodox Churches did not even exist until the 11th century A.D. [SOURCE] [SOURCE]

...or even BOTH Catholic and Orthodox.
Their mutual contradiction of one another over papal authority would leave only three possibilities:
1. The Catholic Church is Christ's one historic Church.
2. Eastern Orthodoxy is the true church.
3. Neither one is Christ's one historic Church.​

Which then leads back to the question: Which ONE of the tens-of-thousands of Protestant denominations and sects in the world today (with more being invented every week) IS in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D.? :think:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Aletheiophile

...except that the Orthodox Churches did not even exist until the 11th century A.D. [SOURCE] [SOURCE]

Their mutual contradiction of one another over papal authority would leave only three possibilities:
1. The Catholic Church is Christ's one historic Church.
2. Eastern Orthodoxy is the true church.
3. Neither one is Christ's one historic Church.​

Which then leads back to the question: Which ONE of the tens-of-thousands of Protestant denominations and sects in the world today (with more being invented every week) IS in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D.? :think:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

...Except that there's always been an Eastern and a Western church, from the first few centuries.

But in the end, I would not limit it to physical/natural history. There is a spiritual heritage that has been passed on, and for that I am thankful to both the Eastern church and Rome. I would not claim that any one denominational church has the corner on truth, let alone being THE physically historical church. Erasmus and Lorenzo Valla (Catholics who honored church authority) declared that the language, culture, and theology had all been corrupted. And that was only the 16th century, and they were Catholics!

Nonetheless, the church of Jesus Christ are those that are in Him. I will not argue with you that the physical, natural tradition is unbroken in Rome. But, I cannot agree that the theological purity is unbroken.

Cruciform

...Except that there's always been an Eastern and a Western church, from the first few centuries.
True, but they weren't divided into "Catholic" and "Orthodox." Rather, there was one historic Catholic Church that believed and taught a single authoritative body of truth.

But in the end, I would not limit it to physical/natural history.
Neither would I. However, though the Church is more than that---it definitely isn't LESS.

I would not claim that any one denominational church has the corner on truth, let alone being THE physically historical church.
Why not? After all, Jesus Christ declared that he would build ONE Church---not "churchES"---and that the gates of Hades would never prevail against that one Church (Mt. 16:18). He then proceeded to build that one Church by choosing and appointing the apostles as its authoritative leaders, who then instituted the particular government of Christ's one Church by establishing the three-fold ecclesial offices of bishop, priest, and deacon. Thus, Christ's one Church was from the start also an inherently historical entity, just as the Christian faith itself had always been. Jesus founded only ONE historic Church, which he vowed would never cease to exist as his Church. Therefore, Christ's one historic Church must still exist today. Which of the professing Christian "churches" today actually qualifies as that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D.? I maintain that both Divine Revelation and the testimony of ecclesiastical history demonstrate that Christ's Church is in fact the Catholic Church.

But, I cannot agree that the theological purity is unbroken.
If Christ's one historic Church has ever fallen into formal heresy as your comment here suggests, then Jesus Christ must have either been mistaken or was outright lying (Prov. 19:5) when he declared in Matthew 16:18-19:

"'And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.'"

This represents the unanimous belief and teaching of the early Church Fathers as well.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Aletheiophile

True, but they weren't divided into "Catholic" and "Orthodox." Rather, there was one historic Catholic Church that believed and taught a single authoritative body of truth.
Well, that's going by labels then, isn't it? For we could say that the church always sought orthodoxy. These labels may be capitalized, but they originally held the meanings of "universal" and "right belief." It could be debated who schismed from who.

Neither would I. However, though the Church is more than that---it definitely isn't LESS.

Agreed.

Why not? After all, Jesus Christ declared that he would build ONE Church---not "churchES"---and that the gates of Hades would never prevail against that one Church (Mt. 16:18). He then proceeded to build that one Church by choosing and appointing the apostles as its authoritative leaders, who then instituted the particular government of Christ's one Church by establishing the three-fold ecclesial offices of bishop, priest, and deacon. Thus, Christ's one Church was from the start also an inherently historical entity, just as the Christian faith itself had always been. Jesus founded only ONE historic Church, which he vowed would never cease to exist as his Church. Therefore, Christ's one historic Church must still exist today. Which of the professing Christian "churches" today actually qualifies as that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D.? I maintain that both Divine Revelation and the testimony of ecclesiastical history demonstrate that Christ's Church is in fact the Catholic Church.

And yet, we must remember that the superordinate meaning of church (Ekklesia) is those that are called out. The church as a physical/natural structure developed secondarily to that. There has been and always will be a remnant of those holding to the true doctrine of the faith, martyrs and witnesses of Christ, bound to Him. Is not Christ the temple? Is not Christ the kingdom? Is not Christ the prophet? Is not Christ the head of the church? Everything points to Christ to the Spiritual first. We had the natural in Israel. Now we have the Spiritual in Christ. (1 Corinthians 15) Thus the natural must be subordinate to the spiritual.

If Christ's one historic Church has ever fallen into formal heresy as your comment here suggests, then Jesus Christ must have either been mistaken or was outright lying (Prov. 19:5) when he declared in Matthew 16:18-19:

"'And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.'"

This represents the unanimous belief and teaching of the early Church Fathers as well.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

First of all, I did not say formal heresy. I said corruption or perversion, which does not imply heresy, only error and wandering. Erasmus and Lorenzo Valla made such statements out of a heart of love for the truth to restore her to theological purity.

And of course Christ was not mistaken or lying. See above response.

In Christ.

Cruciform

Well, that's going by labels then, isn't it?
Of course. The question is whether or not the label accurately applies.

It could be debated who schismed from who.
And yet only one historical scenario is in fact TRUE.

First of all, I did not say formal heresy. I said...error...
I see no essential difference between "heresy" and theological "error." The former merely describes the latter.

And of course Christ was not mistaken or lying.
You agree with Christ, then, that he built a single historic Church that he vowed would never fall into heresy or apostasy?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Permission is given to post this in full
Posted in response to hateful lies about Catholic Tradition
Scripture and Tradition
https://www.catholic.com/tract/scripture-and-tradition

Some Christians claim the Bible is the only rule of faith, meaning that it contains all of the material one needs for theology and that this material is sufficiently clear that one does not need apostolic tradition or the Church’s teaching authority to help one understand it. In the Protestant view, the whole of Christian truth is found within the Bible’s pages. Anything extraneous to the Bible is simply non-authoritative, unnecessary, or wrong—and may well hinder one in coming to God.

Catholics, on the other hand, recognize that the Bible does not endorse this view and that, in fact, it is repudiated in Scripture. The true "rule of faith"—as expressed in the Bible itself—is Scripture plus apostolic tradition, as manifested in the living teaching authority of the Church, to which were entrusted the oral teachings of Jesus and the apostles, along with the authority to interpret Scripture correctly.

In the Second Vatican Council’s document on divine revelation, Dei Verbum (Latin: "The Word of God"), the relationship between Tradition and Scripture is explained: "Hence there exists a close connection and communication between sacred Tradition and sacred Scripture. For both of them, flowing from the same divine wellspring, in a certain way merge into a unity and tend toward the same end. For sacred Scripture is the word of God inasmuch as it is consigned to writing under the inspiration of the divine Spirit. To the successors of the apostles, sacred Tradition hands on in its full purity God’s word, which was entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit.

"Thus, by the light of the Spirit of truth, these successors can in their preaching preserve this word of God faithfully, explain it, and make it more widely known. Consequently it is not from sacred Scripture alone that the Church draws her certainty about everything which has been revealed. Therefore both sacred Tradition and sacred Scripture are to be accepted and venerated with the same devotion and reverence."

But Evangelical and Fundamentalist Protestants, who place their confidence in Martin Luther’s theory of sola scriptura (Latin: "Scripture alone"), will usually argue for their position by citing a couple of key verses. The first is this: "These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name" (John 20:31). The other is this: "All Scripture is
inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be equipped, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16–17). According to these Protestants, these verses demonstrate the reality of sola scriptura (the "Bible only" theory).

Not so, reply Catholics. First, the verse from John refers to the things written in that book (read it with John 20:30, the verse immediately before it to see the context of the statement in question). If this verse proved anything, it would not prove the theory of sola scriptura but that the Gospel of John is sufficient.

Second, the verse from John’s Gospel tells us only that the Bible was composed so we can be helped to believe Jesus is the Messiah. It does not say the Bible is all we need for salvation, much less that the Bible is all we need for theology; nor does it say the Bible is even necessary to believe in Christ. After all, the earliest Christians had no New Testament to which they could appeal; they learned from oral, rather than written, instruction. Until relatively recent times, the Bible was inaccessible to most people, either because they could not read or because the printing press had not been invented. All these people learned from oral instruction, passed down, generation to generation, by the Church.

Much the same can be said about 2 Timothy 3:16-17. To say that all inspired writing "has its uses" is one thing; to say that only inspired writing need be followed is something else. Besides, there is a telling argument against claims of Evangelical and Fundamentalist Protestants. John Henry Newman explained it in an 1884 essay entitled "Inspiration in its Relation to Revelation."

Newman’s argument

He wrote: "It is quite evident that this passage furnishes no argument whatever that the sacred Scripture, without Tradition, is the sole rule of faith; for, although sacred Scripture is profitable for these four ends, still it is not said to be sufficient. The Apostle [Paul] requires the aid of Tradition (2 Thess. 2:15). Moreover, the Apostle here refers to the scriptures which Timothy was taught in his infancy.

"Now, a good part of the New Testament was not written in his boyhood: Some of the Catholic epistles were not written even when Paul wrote this, and none of the books of the New Testament were then placed on the canon of the Scripture books. He refers, then, to the scriptures of the Old Testament, and, if the argument from this passage proved anything, it would prove too much, viz., that the scriptures of the New Testament were not necessary for a rule of faith."

Furthermore, Protestants typically read 2 Timothy 3:16-17 out of context. When read in the context of the surrounding passages, one discovers that Paul’s reference to Scripture is only part of his exhortation that Timothy take as his guide Tradition and Scripture. The two verses immediately before it state: "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it, and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus" (2 Tim. 3:14–15).

Paul tells Timothy to continue in what he has learned for two reasons: first, because he knows from whom he has learned it—Paul himself—and second, because he has been educated in the scriptures. The first of these is a direct appeal to apostolic tradition, the oral teaching which the apostle Paul had given Timothy. So Protestants must take 2 Timothy 3:16-17 out of context to arrive at the theory of sola scriptura. But when the passage is read in context, it becomes clear that it is teaching the importance of apostolic tradition!

The Bible denies that it is sufficient as the complete rule of faith. Paul says that much Christian teaching is to be found in the tradition which is handed down by word of mouth (2 Tim. 2:2). He instructs us to "stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thess. 2:15).

This oral teaching was accepted by Christians, just as they accepted the written teaching that came to them later. Jesus told his disciples: "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me" (Luke 10:16). The Church, in the persons of the apostles, was given the authority to teach by Christ; the Church would be his representative. He commissioned them, saying, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations" (Matt. 28:19).

And how was this to be done? By preaching, by oral instruction: "So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes by the preaching of Christ" (Rom. 10:17). The Church would always be the living teacher. It is a mistake to limit "Christ’s word" to the written word only or to suggest that all his teachings were reduced to writing. The Bible nowhere supports either notion.

Further, it is clear that the oral teaching of Christ would last until the end of time. "’But the word of the Lord abides for ever.’ That word is the good news which was preached to you" (1 Pet. 1:25). Note that the word has been "preached"—that is, communicated orally. This would endure. It would not be
supplanted by a written record like the Bible (supplemented, yes, but not supplanted), and would continue to have its own authority.

This is made clear when the apostle Paul tells Timothy: "[W]hat you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also" (2 Tim. 2:2). Here we see the first few links in the chain of apostolic tradition that has been passed down intact from the apostles to our own day. Paul instructed Timothy to pass on the oral teachings (traditions) that he had received from the apostle. He was to give these to men who would be able to teach others, thus perpetuating the chain. Paul gave this instruction not long before his death (2 Tim. 4:6–8), as a reminder to Timothy of how he should conduct his ministry.

What is Tradition?

In this discussion it is important to keep in mind what the Catholic Church means by tradition. The term does not refer to legends or mythological accounts, nor does it encompass transitory customs or practices which may change, as circumstances warrant, such as styles of priestly dress, particular forms of devotion to saints, or even liturgical rubrics. Sacred or apostolic tradition consists of the teachings that the apostles passed on orally through their preaching. These teachings largely (perhaps entirely) overlap with those contained in Scripture, but the mode of their transmission is different.

They have been handed down and entrusted to the Churchs. It is necessary that Christians believe in and follow this tradition as well as the Bible (Luke 10:16). The truth of the faith has been given primarily to the leaders of the Church (Eph. 3:5), who, with Christ, form the foundation of the Church (Eph. 2:20). The Church has been guided by the Holy Spirit, who protects this teaching from corruption (John 14:25-26, 16:13).

Handing on the faith

Paul illustrated what tradition is: "For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures. . . . Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed" (1 Cor. 15:3,11). The apostle praised those who followed Tradition: "I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you" (1 Cor. 11:2).

The first Christians "devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching" (Acts 2:42) long before there was a New Testament. From the very beginning, the fullness of Christian teaching was found in the Church as the living embodiment of Christ, not in a book. The teaching Church, with its oral, apostolic tradition, was authoritative. Paul himself gives a quotation from Jesus that was handed down orally to him: "It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35).

This saying is not recorded in the Gospels and must have been passed on to Paul. Indeed, even the Gospels themselves are oral tradition which has been written down (Luke 1:1–4). What’s more, Paul does not quote Jesus only. He also quotes from early Christian hymns, as in Ephesians 5:14. These and other things have been given to Christians "through the Lord Jesus" (1 Thess. 4:2).

Fundamentalists say Jesus condemned tradition. They note that Jesus said, "And why do you transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?" (Matt. 15:3). Paul warned, "See to it that no one makes a prey of you by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ" (Col. 2:8). But these verses merely condemn erroneous human traditions, not truths which were handed down orally and entrusted to the Church by the apostles. These latter truths are part of what is known as apostolic tradition, which is to be distinguished from human traditions or customs.

"Commandments of men"

Consider Matthew 15:6–9, which Fundamentalists and Evangelicals often use to defend their position: "So by these traditions of yours you have made God’s laws ineffectual. You hypocrites, it was a true prophecy that Isaiah made of you, when he said, ‘This people does me honor with its lips, but its heart is far from me. Their worship is in vain, for the doctrines they teach are the commandments of men.’" Look closely at what Jesus said.

He was not condemning all traditions. He condemned only those that made God’s word void. In this case, it was a matter of the Pharisees feigning the dedication of their goods to the Temple so they could avoid using them to support their aged parents. By doing this, they dodged the commandment to "Honor your father and your mother" (Ex. 20:12).

Elsewhere, Jesus instructed his followers to abide by traditions that are not contrary to God’s commandments. "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat; so practice and observe whatever they tell you, but not what they do; for they preach, but do not practice" (Matt. 23:2–3).

What Fundamentalists and Evangelicals often do, unfortunately, is see the word "tradition" in Matthew 15:3 or Colossians 2:8 or elsewhere and conclude that anything termed a "tradition" is to be rejected. They forget that the term is used in a different sense, as in 1 Corinthians 11:2 and 2 Thessalonians 2:15, to describe what should be believed. Jesus did not condemn all traditions; he condemned only erroneous traditions, whether doctrines or practices, that undermined Christian truths. The rest, as the apostles taught, were to be obeyed. Paul commanded the Thessalonians to adhere to all the traditions he had given them, whether oral or written.

The indefectible Church

The task is to determine what constitutes authentic tradition. How can we know which traditions are apostolic and which are merely human? The answer is the same as how we know which scriptures are apostolic and which are merely human—by listening to the magisterium or teaching authority of Christ’s Church. Without the Catholic Church’s teaching authority, we would not know with certainty which purported books of Scripture are authentic. If the Church revealed to us the canon of Scripture, it can also reveal to us the "canon of Tradition" by establishing which traditions have been passed down from the apostles. After all, Christ promised that the gates of hell would not prevail against the Church (Matt. 16:18) and the New Testament itself declares the Church to be "the pillar and foundation of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15).

Jerry Shugart

Tell us the so-called "tradition" which lead to Rome teaching the assumption of Mary.

Epiphanius was an early Church Father (4th century), gives the earliest mention of anything concerning the end of Mary's Life. He said that Mary may have died and been buried, or been killed--as a martyr. 'Or she remained alive, since nothing is impossible with God and he can do whatever he desires; for her end no one knows.'"

How did that "tradition" lead to the teaching of the Bodily Assumption of Mary?

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
THE TRANSMISSION OF DIVINE REVELATION

74 God "desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth":29 that is, of Christ Jesus.30 Christ must be proclaimed to all nations and individuals, so that this revelation may reach to the ends of the earth:

God graciously arranged that the things he had once revealed for the salvation of all peoples should remain in their entirety, throughout the ages, and be transmitted to all generations.31
I. THE APOSTOLIC TRADITION

75 "Christ the Lord, in whom the entire Revelation of the most high God is summed up, commanded the apostles to preach the Gospel, which had been promised beforehand by the prophets, and which he fulfilled in his own person and promulgated with his own lips. In preaching the Gospel, they were to communicate the gifts of God to all men. This Gospel was to be the source of all saving truth and moral discipline."32

In the apostolic preaching. . .

76 In keeping with the Lord's command, the Gospel was handed on in two ways:

- orally "by the apostles who handed on, by the spoken word of their preaching, by the example they gave, by the institutions they established, what they themselves had received - whether from the lips of Christ, from his way of life and his works, or whether they had learned it at the prompting of the Holy Spirit";33

- in writing "by those apostles and other men associated with the apostles who, under the inspiration of the same Holy Spirit, committed the message of salvation to writing".34

. . . continued in apostolic succession

77 "In order that the full and living Gospel might always be preserved in the Church the apostles left bishops as their successors. They gave them their own position of teaching authority."35 Indeed, "the apostolic preaching, which is expressed in a special way in the inspired books, was to be preserved in a continuous line of succession until the end of time."36

78 This living transmission, accomplished in the Holy Spirit, is called Tradition, since it is distinct from Sacred Scripture, though closely connected to it. Through Tradition, "the Church, in her doctrine, life and worship, perpetuates and transmits to every generation all that she herself is, all that she believes."37 "The sayings of the holy Fathers are a witness to the life-giving presence of this Tradition, showing how its riches are poured out in the practice and life of the Church, in her belief and her prayer."38

79 The Father's self-communication made through his Word in the Holy Spirit, remains present and active in the Church: "God, who spoke in the past, continues to converse with the Spouse of his beloved Son. And the Holy Spirit, through whom the living voice of the Gospel rings out in the Church - and through her in the world - leads believers to the full truth, and makes the Word of Christ dwell in them in all its richness."39

II. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TRADITION AND SACRED SCRIPTURE

One common source. . .

80 "Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, then, are bound closely together, and communicate one with the other. For both of them, flowing out from the same divine well-spring, come together in some fashion to form one thing, and move towards the same goal."40 Each of them makes present and fruitful in the Church the mystery of Christ, who promised to remain with his own "always, to the close of the age".41

. . . two distinct modes of transmission

81 "Sacred Scripture is the speech of God as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit."42

"And [Holy] Tradition transmits in its entirety the Word of God which has been entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit. It transmits it to the successors of the apostles so that, enlightened by the Spirit of truth, they may faithfully preserve, expound and spread it abroad by their preaching."43

82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."44

Source: Catechism: https://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_c...m/p1s1c2a2.htm

Jerry Shugart

Again, you do not answer anything in an intelligent manner but instead copy and paste some nonsense.

Why don't you address Rome's "traditions" and her teaching on the Assumption of Mary?

Cat got your tongue?

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Again, you do not answer anything

Are you finally figuring out that I am ignoring your stupid posts? After that disgusting hateful thread you started I want nothing to do with you. Your posts are all lies and there is nothing in them to answer. Wallow in your lies and hate by yourself.

Jerry Shugart

Are you finally figuring out that I am ignoring your stupid posts?

Of course you have no answer about the so-called "tradition" concerning the assumption of Mary so you find an excuse why you fail to address this point!

You pagans must have a queen of heaven to worship so you just make up one!