ECT "PISTEUO", the secret of the universe....

journey

Faither,

I reject your personal translations. They are based on a non-issue, your own confusion and/or fabrication. By the way, you still haven't posted your source and complete definitions that you base your confusion on.

Danoh

If you don't agree with the Scriptures I've posted with there corrections. Please directly tell why.

This is the overall scope and setting in which the "instruction in righteousness" described in Matthew thru Early Acts are to be understood:

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Case in point of many that could be cited:

Spoiler

Matthew 8:1 When he was come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him. 8:2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. 8:3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 8:4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

That "gift that Moses commanded"?

Leviticus 14:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 14:2 This shall be the law of the leper in the day of his cleansing: He shall be brought unto the priest:

Leviticus 14:11 And the priest that maketh him clean shall present the man that is to be made clean, and those things, before the LORD, at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: 14:19 And the priest shall offer the sin offering, and make an atonement for him that is to be cleansed from his uncleanness; and afterward he shall kill the burnt offering: 14:20 And the priest shall offer the burnt offering and the meat offering upon the altar: and the priest shall make an atonement for him, and he shall be clean.

Speaking of keeping Torah, here is another exanple showing my above assertion that Matthew thru John are NOT our "instruction in rigteousness," other then where a "same, but different" principle, would apply in both...

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions. 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

19:25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

19:27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore? 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

What had actually been the intent behind His actually having made the Law even heavier a responsibility to attempt to bear?

To point all to coming "faith OF Christ."

Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Note the argument from his own kinsmen that Paul's experience in these matters leads him to expect will once more be an issue as he pens Romans:

Romans 4:1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Paul then returns to the issue at issue within his "my gospel..." that he has been asserted throughout Romans God is "of power to establish" the member of the Body of Christ by, Rom. 16:25.

It is on this basis...

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

That he relates what he relates in...

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Having already related the impossibility of absolute surrender in Romans 1 thru 7.

He relates once more in Romans 12 what he has also already touched on in Romans 5 thru 8.

That only through the renewing of one's mind in the various details of HOW God works in the Believer this side of the Law is the Believer gradually transformed in his outward behavior.

The sequal to Romans 5:1-2 also being...

Colossians 2:6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

Recieved Him by faith; walk IN Him by faith.

This enabled as one's mind is renewed by the teaching- Paul's "as ye have been taught."

Colossians 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 1:10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; 1:11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; 1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

As you are taught all that God has done, and is doing in His Son; as you learn of the privelege of your role in this, its Grace builds in you an attitude of gratitude - Grace Motivation.

The "surrender" taking care of itself, just as Booster Rockets begin to let go and finally drop off a Rocket as it enters that area of space where the astounding force that is gravity easily enables it to continue its orbit.

In short...

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
Please asking that all replies are about the Scriptures posted in this thread. If your interested in this thread, I apologize for all the theatrics. Try to ignore the personal attack posts and feel free to reply concerning the Scriptures I've highlighted.

thank you.

See posts #130 and #139

Danoh

Faither,

I reject your personal translations. They are based on a non-issue, your own confusion and/or fabrication. By the way, you still haven't posted your source and complete definitions that you base your confusion on.

I think we both know the guy's mind is made up and there is no solving for that; he has obviously gone too long down his path; a hardening of the attitudes long ago set in the stone that is this obvious error of his. It is what it is...as to his misunderstanding of what was fully accomplished at the Cross by Jesus Christ...

Hebrews 5:11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Please asking that all replies are about the Scriptures posted in this thread. If your interested in this thread, I apologize for all the theatrics. Try to ignore the personal attack posts and feel free to reply concerning the Scriptures I've highlighted.

thank you.

See posts #130 and #139
A suggestion...

At each of these posts is that number you list. Right-click that number and select "copy link address". Now paste that link into a post like yours above or create a hyperlink of the numbers you used by selecting that little earth globe button with the chain link at its bottom. That way folks that have their pages set to display five posts per page do not have to scroll about looking for unlinked numbered posts.

AMR

Faither

BANNED
Banned
A suggestion...

At each of these posts is that number you list. Right-click that number and select "copy link address". Now paste that link into a post like yours above or create a hyperlink of the numbers you used by selecting that little earth globe button with the chain link at its bottom. That way folks that have their pages set to display five posts per page do not have to scroll about looking for unlinked numbered posts.

AMR

Thanks AMR,

I'll try and see if I can follow your directions tomorrow. My computer skills are very limited.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
The Greek word "pisteuo". Probably the most important word that we will ever hear as called out ones. I consider this word to be the "secret of the universe". Because one day, God will reveal the importance of "pisteuo," and everyone will know it was right there in front of us all the time.

I beat this drum of "pisteuo ", because without actively exercising "pisteuo", no one can have the relationship with Christ that the NT talks about. An indwelling Holy Spirit, being in Christ, having Gods nature flowing through us, the word of God being ours to look at like a mirror, the mind of Christ, to be able to have that continual praying without ceasing. Without "pisteuo," none of these things will come to pass.

With those things said, what exactly is "pisteuo?"

"Pisteuo" is the Greek word, a verb, that's corresponds with the Greek word, a noun, "pistis".

When pistis and pisteuo were translated into the English texts, Pistis is where we get our word
"faith", the noun, was no problem. But when the translators tried to find an English word for "pisteuo," there was none. Pisteuo is a verb, An act, based upon a belief, sustained by confidence. The specific act that the Greek word pisteuo needed to translate to English is, the vines: "A personal surrender to Him, and a life inspired by such surrender." The Strongs: "Pisteuo means not just to believe, but to be persuaded, to trust, to place confidence in, signifies reliance upon, not mere credence, hence it is translated "commit unto," "commit to ones trust,"Be commited unto".

Pisteuo is the word that describes, encompasses, and teaches us what NT saving Faith is. We should have had the words faither, faithing, and to faithe, for the translators to use when translating pisteuo into English. But only because they had no other choice, they had to go with believer, believing, and to believe. The word pisteuo and it's English mistranslations are used over 250 times in the NT. The words believer, believing, and to believe are only one third of what Nt saving Faith is. And building an understanding on any of these three words is not NT saving Faith.

Over the next few days i'm going to post on this thread,certain Scriptures with the vines dictionary meaning in place of the mistranslated words. It will be very hard for many to accept. But remember, this doesn't just affect you, your entire household and family will be affected by this.

Positive comments and good questions only. Please no, "I don't accept the Greek dictionary definitions."

1) John 3:16

English translation : "For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever "believes" (mistranslation) in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Greek translation : "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever "pisteuo" surrenders their life and will to Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

2) John 5:24

English translation : "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and "believes" (mistranslation) in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life."

Greek translation : " Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and "surrenders their life" (pisteuo) to Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life."

The reason for the two different translations is the English language has no word for the Greek word Pisteuo. So taking out the mistranslated word "believes" and putting in the Greek definition of pisteuo gives us a better understanding of what the Greek texts were trying to convey.

Pisteuo is used 248 times in the Gospels alone. I'll continue to post the true meanings of other Scriptures

4) Rom. 3:22

English mistranslation : even the righteousness of God which is through Faith In Jesus Christ to all and on all who "believe". (mistranslated word "believe) For there is no difference;

Greek corrected translation : even the righteousness of God which is through Faith in Jesus Christ to all and on all who "surrender there lives to Him". (pisteuo) For there is no difference;

5) 1 Cor. 14:22,

English mistranslation: "Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; But prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe."

Corrected English translation from the Greek: Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who surrender their lives to Jesus but to those who surrender their lives to another Jesus; but prophesy is not for those who surrender their lives to someone other than the NT Christ but for those who do surrender their lives to the Jesus Christ of the NT.

6)Eph. 1:19

English mistranslation of "pisteuo." "And what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who "believe" (mistranslation) according to the working of His mighty power.

Corrected translation of "pisteuo" " And what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who surrender our lives to Christ, according to the working of His mighty power.

Interplanner

It still stands that when Jesus said in jn 6 that 'the work of God is to believe on him whom he sent' that he was contrasting human works with the work of God in Christ, and you don't do anything as such to access that for justification from sins. You may and should do many things in light of it, but you can't obligated God to yourself by surrendering.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
It still stands that when Jesus said in jn 6 that 'the work of God is to believe on him whom he sent' that he was contrasting human works with the work of God in Christ, and you don't do anything as such to access that for justification from sins. You may and should do many things in light of it, but you can't obligated God to yourself by surrendering.

Are you saying, because the word "believe" is used in Jn 6, that's what obligates God, not the word surrender?

Faither

BANNED
Banned

JN. 6:29

English mistranslation : "This is the work of God, that you "believe" (mistranslation) in whom he sent."

Correct Greek translation : This is the work of God, that you "continually surrender your lives" to whom He sent

I should have just used the word "surrender" to replace the word "believe". But I added the words "continual and lives" because that's also part of the true meaning of "pisteuo." We in English can't define "pisteuo" in one word, we have to use multiple words to get it's entire meaning.

Last edited:

journey

Faither,

Strong's and Vine's don't contain your definition for "pisteuo." So, what did you use - if anything?

Faither

BANNED
Banned
The Greek word "pisteuo" was mistranslated into English , using the words believe, believer, and believing. The reason this was done is because the English language has no verb for the noun, "Faith". To have a verb that corresponds with the Noun "Faith," we just need to add the er, ing, and the e endings to the Noun "Faith" and we would have Faither, Faithing, and to Faithe. Since we didn't have these words available to the translators, they had to choose other words, believe, believer, and believing. These words are a part of what NT pisteuo or Faithing is, but only a part. By themselves they create a false path, thinking all we have to do is "believe", to have a personal relationship with Christ.

Interestingly enough, the definition for a verb, is an action , based upon a belief, sustained by confidence. The translators not only had to use a word that only partially defined Pisteuo, but they accually used the definition of what a verb is. Interesting!

The true complete meaning of the Greek word pisteuo used 248 times in the NT is,

1) "A personal surrender to Him, and a life inspired by such surrender. "

What is it were surrendering to Him?
What does it mean by a life inspired by such surrender?
Is this a one time act, or is it continuous?

These are some good questions to be asking our selves.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
If the definitions I'm presenting on this forum were not accurate, I would expect the admins. would take the appropriate action. As u you can see they haven't

Danoh

If the definitions I'm presenting on this forum were not accurate, I would expect the admins. would take the appropriate action. As u you can see they haven't

If they went by your standard there would be very few allowed to post.

Work away "Faither."

:doh:

journey

There are many false posts on TOL, including your posts. Post your sources and full definitions. We both already know that your definition is NOT from Strong's or Vine's - as you claim.

Danoh

There are many false posts on TOL, including your posts. Post your sources and full definitions. We both already know that your definition is NOT from Strong's or Vine's - as you claim.

It is rather obvious how "Faither" arrived at his notion - AA.

He bought into its' absolute surrender principle together with its pagan higher power concept.

At some point, as with Mormons, and Buddhists, and Charismatics (most Christians are Charismatic in their basic "Spirit's leading" belief), he began to believe he "felt led by God," and here we are...

To that, he added reading about and googling for some kind of understanding of what he was going through...

His view is not new - it is all over the internet.

All this together has been taken by him as "the Spirit's leading..."

Thus, both his strong conviction, and his great exasperation that anyone here is not hearing this great voice in the wilderness he has ended up convinced he is.

But what it all boils down to is the exact same logic behind the drinker's "just one drink," and what that leads to for such an individual.

Bottomline, the poor guy has ended up trading "addictions."

And we all know the great difficulty facing anyone attempting to reason with a drunk.

Its regretable I have to lay all this out. But perhaps some other "drunk" will at least recognize him or herself in the above, lay down their Bible thumping and take up the Grace that is in Christ Jesus.

One can only hope...

genuineoriginal

The true complete meaning of the Greek word pisteuo used 248 times in the NT is,

1) "A personal surrender to Him, and a life inspired by such surrender. "
Here are the official definitions of πιστεύω pisteuō, and your definition is not in them:

πιστεύω pisteuō - G4100
The KJV translates Strongs G4100 in the following manner: believe (239x), commit unto (4x), commit to (one's) trust (1x), be committed unto (1x), be put in trust with (1x), be commit to one's trust (1x), believer (1x).
  • to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
    • of the thing believed
      • to credit, have confidence
    • in a moral or religious reference
      • used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul
      • to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith
      • mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith
  • to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity
    • to be intrusted with a thing

Strong's Definitions
πιστεύω pisteúō, pist-yoo'-o; from G4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), i.e. credit; by implication, to entrust (especially one's spiritual well-being to Christ):—believe(-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.​

Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words
Belief, Believe, Believers:
"to believe," also "to be persuaded of," and hence, "to place confidence in, to trust," signifies, in this sense of the word, reliance upon, not mere credence. It is most frequent in the writings of the Apostle John, especially the Gospel. He does not use the noun (see below). For the Lord's first use of the verb, see Jhn 1:50. Of the writers of the Gospels, Matthew uses the verb ten times, Mark ten, Luke nine, John ninety-nine. In Act 5:14 the present participle of the verb is translated "believers."
See COMMIT, INTRUST, TRUST.​

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
Spoiler

πιστεύω; imperfect ἐπίστευον; future πιστεύσω; 1 aorist ἐπίστευσα; perfect πεπίστευκα; pluperfect (without augment, cf. Winers Grammar, § 12, 9; (Buttmann, 33 (29))) πεπιστεύκειν (Acts 14:23); passive perfect πεπίστευμαι; 1 aorist ἐπιστεύθην; (πιστός); the Sept. for הֶאֱמִין; in classical Greek from Aeschyl, Sophocles, Euripides, Thucydides down; to believe, i. e.
1. intransitive, to think to be true; to be persuaded of; to credit, place confidence in;

a. universally: the thing believed being evident from the preceding context, Matthew 24:23,(26); Mark 13:21; 1 Corinthians 11:18; with an accusative of the thing, Acts 13:41 (L T Tr WH ὁ for Rec. ᾧ), to credit, have confidence, followed by ὅτι, Acts 9:26; τίνι, to believe one's words, Mark 16:13; 1 John 4:1; τίνι ὅτι, John 4:21; τῷ ψεύδει, 2 Thessalonians 2:11; περί τίνος, ὅτι, John 9:18.

b. specifically, in a moral and religious reference, πιστεύειν is used in the N. T. of "the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of his soul"; thus it stands α. absolutely to trust in Jesus or in God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: Matthew 8:13; Matthew 21:22; Mark 5:36; Mark 9:23; Luke 8:50; John 11:40; followed by ὅτι, Matthew 9:28; Mark 11:23; (Hebrews 11:6); τῷ λόγῳ, ᾧ (ὅν) εἶπεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς, John 4:50. β. of the credence given to God's messengers and their words, with a dative of the person or thing: Μωϋσεῖ John 5:46. to the prophets, John 12:38; Acts 24:14; Acts 26:27; Romans 10:16; ἐπί πᾶσιν οἷς ἐλάλησαν οἱ προφῆται, to place reliance on etc. Luke 24:25. to an angel, Luke 1:20; followed by ὅτι, Luke 1:45. to John the Baptist, Matthew 21:25 (26),32; Mark 11:31; Luke 20:5. to Christ's words, John 3:12; John 5:38, 46; John 6:30; John 8:45; John 10:(37),38{a}; τοῖς ἔργοις of Christ, John 10:38{b}. to the teachings of evangelists and apostles, Acts 8:12; τῇ ἀλήθεια, 2 Thessalonians 2:12; ἐπιστεύθη τό μαρτύριον, the testimony was believed, 2 Thessalonians 1:10 (cf. Winers Grammar, § 39,1 a.; Buttmann, 175 (152)); τῇ γραφή, John 2:22. ἐν τῷ εὐαγγελίῳ, to put faith in the gospel, Mark 1:15 (Buttmann, 174 (151f); cf. Winers Grammar, 213 (200f)) (Ignatius ad Philad. 8, 2 [ET] ((but see Zahn's note); cf. John 3:15 in γ. below)). γ. used especially of the faith by which a man embraces Jesus, i. e. "a conviction, full of joyful trust, that Jesus is the Messiah — the divinely appointed author of eternal salvation in the kingdom of God, conjoined with obedience to Christ": πιστεύω τόν υἱόν τοῦ Θεοῦ εἶναι Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν, Acts 8:37 Rec.; ἐπιστεύθη (was believed on (cf. Winers Grammar, § 39, 1 a.; Buttmann, 175 (152))) ἐν κόσμῳ, 1 Timothy 3:16. the phrase πιστεύειν εἰς τόν Ἰησοῦν, εἰς τόν υἱόν τοῦ Θεοῦ, etc., is very common; properly, to have a faith directed unto, believing or in faith to give oneself up to, Jesus, etc. (cf. Winers Grammar, 213 (200f); (Buttmann, 174 (151))): Matthew 18:6; Mark 9:42 (R G L Tr text); John 2:11; John 3:15 R G,; (R G L); ,(),; ,(); ; Acts 10:43; Acts 19:4; Romans 10:14; Galatians 2:16; Philippians 1:29; 1 John 5:10; 1 Peter 1:8; εἰς τό φῶς, John 12:36; εἰς τό ὄνομα αὐτοῦ, John 1:12; John 2:23; John 3:18; 1 John 5:13; τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ, to commit oneself trustfully to the name (see ὄνομα, 2, p. 448a), 1 John 3:23; ἐπ' αὐτόν, ἐπί τόν κύριον, to have a faith directed toward, etc. (see ἐπί, C. I. 2 g. α., p. 235b (cf. Winers Grammar, and Buttmann, as above, also Buttmann, § 147, 25)): Matthew 27:42 T Tr text WH; John 3:15 L text; Acts 9:42; Acts 11:17; Acts 16:31; Acts 22:19 ((cf. Wis. 12:2)); ἐπ' αὐτῷ, to build one's faith on, to place one's faith upon (see ἐπί, B. 2 a.γ., p. 233a; Buttmann, as above): Romans 9:33; Romans 10:11; 1 Timothy 1:16; 1 Peter 2:6; ἐν αὐτῷ, to put faith in him, John 3:15 (L marginal reading; cf. T Tr WH also (who probably connect ἐν αὐτῷ with the following ἔχῃ; cf. Westcott's Commentary at the passage, Meyer, others)) (cf. Jeremiah 12:6; Psalm 77:22 (), where πιστεύειν ἐν τίνι means to put confidence in one, to trust one; (cf. Mark 1:15 above, β. at the end)); ἐν τούτῳ πιστεύομεν, on this rests our faith (A. V. by this we believe), John 16:30; with the simple dative, τῷ κυρίῳ, to (yield faith to) believe (cf. B. 173 (151)): Matthew 27:42 R G L Tr marginal reading; Acts 5:14; Acts 18:8; supply τούτῳ before οὗ in Romans 10:14; to trust in Christ (God), 2 Timothy 1:12; διά τίνος, through one's agency to be brought to faith, John 1:7; 1 Corinthians 3:5; διά Ἰησοῦ εἰς Θεόν, 1 Peter 1:21 R G Tr marginal reading; διά τῆς χάριτος, Acts 18:27; διά τοῦ λόγου αὐτῶν εἰς ἐμέ, John 17:20; διά τί, John 4:39 (), ; . πιστεύω followed by ὅτι with a sentence in which either the nature and dignity of Christ or his blessings are set forth: John 6:69; John 8:24; John 10:38c R G; ,(); ; (); ; 1 John 5:1, 5; Romans 6:8; 1 Thessalonians 4:14; μοι ὅτι, John 14:11; τί, John 11:26; πιστεύω σωθῆναι, Acts 15:11; the simple πιστεύειν is used emphatically, of those who acknowledge Jesus as the saviour and devote themselves to him: Mark 15:32 (here L adds αὐτῷ); Luke 8:12; Luke 22:67; John 1:50(); f; Rec.; ; Acts 5:14; (); ; (); Romans 1:16; Romans 3:22; Romans 4:11; Romans 10:4; Romans 15:13; 2 Corinthians 4:13; Ephesians 1:13,(); 2 Thessalonians 1:10; Hebrews 4:3; with ἐξ ὅλης καρδίας added, Acts 8:37 Rec.; with a dative of instrumentality καρδία, Romans 10:10; participle present οἱ πιστεύοντες, as a substantive: Acts 2:44; Romans 3:22; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 3:22; (Ephesians 1:19); 1 Thessalonians 1:7; 1 Thessalonians 2:10, 13; 2 Thessalonians 1:10 Rec.; 1 Peter 2:7; equivalent to who are on the point of believing, 1 Corinthians 14:22, cf. 1 Corinthians 14:24f; aorist ἐπίστευσα (marking entrance into a state; see βασιλεύω, at the end), I became a believer, a Christian (A. V. believed): Acts 4:4; Acts 8:13; Acts 13:12, 48; Acts 14:1; Acts 15:7; Acts 17:12, 34; Romans 13:11; 1 Corinthians 3:5; 1 Corinthians 15:2, 11; with the addition of ἐπί τόν κύριον (see above), Acts 9:42; participle πιστεύσας, Acts 11:21; Acts 19:2; ὁ πιστεύσας, Mark 16:16; plural, ; Acts 4:32; οἱ πεπιστευκότες, they that have believed (have become believers): Acts 19:18; Acts 21:20; (on (John's use of) the tenses of πιστεύω see Westcott on 1 John 3:23). It must be borne in mind, that in Paul's conception of τό πιστεύειν εἰς Χριστόν, the prominent element is the grace of God toward sinners as manifested and pledged (and to be laid hold of by faith) in Jesus, particularly in his death and resurrection, as appears especially in Romans 3:25; Romans 4:24; Romans 10:9; 1 Thessalonians 4:14; but in John's conception, it is the metaphysical relationship of Christ with God and close ethical intimacy with him, as well as the true 'life' to be derived from Christ as its source; cf. Rückert, Das Abendmahl, p. 251. Moreover, πιστεύειν is used by John of various degrees of faith, from its first beginnings, its incipient stirring within the soul, up to the fullest assurance, John 2:23 (cf. John 2:24); ; of a faith which does not yet recognize Jesus as the Messiah, but as a prophet very like the Messiah, John 7:31; and to signify that one's faith is preserved, strengthened, increased, raised to the level which it ought to reach, ; 1 John 5:13b Rec.; (cf. references under the word πίστις, at the end). is applied also to the faith by which one is persuaded that Jesus was raised from the dead, inasmuch as by that fact God declared him to be his Son and the Messiah: John 20:8, 25, 29; πιστεύσῃς ἐν τῇ καρδία σου ὅτι ὁ Θεός αὐτόν ἤγειρεν ἐκ νεκρῶν σωθήσῃ, Romans 10:9 (cf. Buttmann, § 133, 19). Since according to the conception of Christian faith Christ alone is the author of salvation, ὁ πιστεύων repudiates all the various things which aside from Christ are commended as means of salvation (such e. g. as abstinence from flesh and wine), and understands that all things are lawful to him which do not lead him away from Christ; hence, πιστεύει (τίς) φαγεῖν πάντα, hath faith to eat all things or so that he eats all things, Romans 14:2; cf. Rückert at the passage; (Winers Grammar, § 44,3 b.; per contra Buttmann, 273f (235)). δ. πιστεύειν used in reference to God has various senses: αα. it denotes the mere acknowledgment of his existence: ὅτι ὁ Θεός εἷς ἐστιν, James 2:19; acknowledgment joined to appropriate trust, absolutely, Jude 1:5; εἰς Θεόν, John 12:44; John 14:1; equivalent to to believe and embrace what God has made known either through Christ or concerning Christ: τῷ Θεῷ, John 5:24; Acts 16:34; Titus 3:8; 1 John 5:10; ἐπί τόν Θεόν, Romans 4:5; τήν ἀγάπην, ἥν ἔχει ὁ Θεός, 1 John 4:16; εἰς τήν μαρτυρίαν, ἥν κτλ., 1 John 5:10. ββ. to trust: τῷ Θεῷ, God promising a thing, Romans 4:3, 17 (on which see κατέναντι); Galatians 3:6; (James 2:23); absolutely, Romans 4:18; followed by ὅτι, Acts 27:25. ε. πιστεύειν is used in an ethical sense, of confidence in the goodness of men: ἡ ἀγάπη πιστεύει πάντα, 1 Corinthians 13:7. τό πιστεύειν is opposed to ἰδεῖν, John 20:29; to ὁρᾶν, ibid. and 1 Peter 1:8 (Theophilus ad Autol. 1, 7 at the end), cf. 2 Corinthians 5:7; to διακρίνεσθαι, Romans 4:19; Romans 14:1, 23, cf. James 1:6; to ὁμολογεῖν, Romans 10:9.

2. transitively, τίνι τί, to intrust a thing to one, i. e. to his fidelity : Luke 16:11; ἑαυτόν τίνι, John 2:24; passive, πιστεύομαι τί, to be intrusted with a thing: Romans 3:2; 1 Corinthians 9:17; Galatians 2:7; 1 Thessalonians 2:4; 1 Timothy 1:11; Titus 1:8 (Ignatius ad Philad. 9 [ET]; examples from secular authors are given in Winers Grammar, § 39, 1 a.). On the grammatical construction of the word cf. Buttmann, § 133, 4 (and the summaries in Ellicott on 1 Timothy 1:16; Vaughan on Romans 4:5; Cremer, under the word). It does not occur in Revlation, nor in Philemon, 2 Peter, 2 and 3 John (Cf. the references under the word πίστις, at the end.)​

journey

Genuineoriginal,

I hope you don't mind me asking: which forum font did you use to properly post Greek words? All I got was question marks for Greek when I tried. Thanks in advance.

genuineoriginal

Genuineoriginal,

I hope you don't mind me asking: which forum font did you use to properly post Greek words? All I got was question marks for Greek when I tried. Thanks in advance.

I am using the advanced editor, but I do not use the WYSIWYG mode.
I copied the definitions from blueletterbible, except the Thayer's definitions which I copied from biblehub.
I pasted the copied definitions directly into the advanced editor, made a couple of formatting changes, but did not change the font at all, and submitted them.