ECT WHAT ACTS 2:28 REALLY MEANS !!

turbosixx

Because they were baptized with John's baptism and that was way before Jesus baptized with the Holy Spirit.

It was not way before, it was just in the latter part of the previous chapter they were baptized. It was obviously after the D,B &R because Paul baptized them into Christ and gave them Spiritual gifts. Paul realizes that you can not received the Spirit without the proper baptism, they is why he asks, 3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

God's Truth

It was not way before, it was just in the latter part of the previous chapter they were baptized. It was obviously after the D,B &R because Paul baptized them into Christ and gave them Spiritual gifts. Paul realizes that you can not received the Spirit without the proper baptism, they is why he asks, 3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

They said they were baptized with JOHN'S baptism. They said they had not even heard of the Holy Spirit.

turbosixx

Washing away your sins is symbolic and is done by water baptism.

Water baptism is symbolic of what should have already happened in our hearts.

Paul prayed and fasted, and no doubt those prayers were of Paul begging for forgiveness.

Paul still had to be water water baptized after being saved, just as Paul was expected to obey Jesus in all other ways after being saved.

If what you say is true, it would read differently, like: be baptized for you sins have been cleansed or washed away, but that is NOT what it says. If baptism doesn't wash away sins why would he say, what are you waiting for? There would be ZERO rush.

16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’

God's Truth

If what you say is true, it would read differently, like: be baptized for you sins have been cleansed or washed away, but that is NOT what it says. If baptism doesn't wash away sins why would he say, what are you waiting for? There would be ZERO rush.

16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’

Because baptism is symbolic, and it is a pledge to God.

turbosixx

They said they were baptized with JOHN'S baptism. They said they had not even heard of the Holy Spirit.

They heard the gospel with one exception, proper baptism. And they were water baptized after hearing the gospel.

Acts 18:24 Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. 25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John.

God's Truth

Why don't you address all my comments as I do with your comments?

Tell me, do you know the scripture where the people were water baptized and did NOT receive the Holy Spirit?

turbosixx

Because baptism is symbolic, and it is a pledge to God.

It is not symbolic, it is HOW we make the pledge. It is HOW we die with Christ.

Rom. 6:3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. 5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.

That agrees with 1 Pt. 3
21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

God's Truth

They heard the gospel with one exception, proper baptism. And they were water baptized after hearing the gospel.

Acts 18:24 Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. 25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John.

You give a scripture that shows you are wrong. Apollos WAS instructed IN THE LORD, and was TAUGHT ABOUT Jesus more accurately.

God's Truth

It is not symbolic, it is HOW we make the pledge.

It is symbolic and it is how we make the pledge.

It is HOW we die with Christ.

I died with Christ when I confessed my sins and told Jesus I repent of them and will live to please him.

It is about what is in our heart and mouth.

Acts 15:8 God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us.

turbosixx

Why don't you address all my comments as I do with your comments?

Tell me, do you know the scripture where the people were water baptized and did NOT receive the Holy Spirit?

Yes, they were added to Christ but they didn't receive the Spiritual gifts until the apostles gave it to them.

18When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money

How could Simon see they received the Spirit if they weren't visible gifts?

turbosixx

You give a scripture that shows you are wrong. Apollos WAS instructed IN THE LORD, and was TAUGHT ABOUT Jesus more accurately.

Except baptism.
25He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John.

God's Truth

Yes, they were added to Christ but they didn't receive the Spiritual gifts until the apostles gave it to them.

18When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money

How could Simon see they received the Spirit if they weren't visible gifts?

No, they were merely baptized in the name of Jesus...they had not yet received the Holy Spirit. Nothing happened in their water baptism.

turbosixx

Acts 15:8 God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us.

And guess what, Peter ordered them to be water baptized. Why would he order them to be baptized if he didn't understand that completes the conversion?

God's Truth

Except baptism.
25He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John.

He didn't know about baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Don't you think it is important to know about the Holy Spirit and how the Holy Spirit can live inside of us?

God's Truth

And guess what, Peter ordered them to be water baptized. Why would he order them to be baptized if he didn't understand that completes the conversion?

I have told you many times that we should be water baptized, just as we should obey and not commit adultery, etc.

turbosixx

No, they were merely baptized in the name of Jesus...they had not yet received the Holy Spirit. Nothing happened in their water baptism.

Ok, lets supose they hadn't been water baptized. Do you think the apostles would give them the spirit without being baptized? Paul didn't in Acts 19.