Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE UNIQUE HISTORICAL LEGACY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by republicanchick View Post
    u may be right but I don't read "historical" accounts written by posters here or anywhere else, to speak of.

    we all know how history gets distorted based on the "historian's" bias

    I trust CATHOLIC accounts of Church history and no one else's. The way i see it.. If someone is dishonest enough to NOT be Catholic after studying Church history for X number of years, he is a liar
    Well, here is a short excerpt from a history of the Council of Florence, for your brief perusal...



    TO THE OTHER afflictions which the Orthodox delegation suffered in Florence was added the death of the Patriarch of Constantinople.

    The Patriarch was found dead in his room.

    On the table lay (supposedly) his testament, Extrema Sententia, consisting in all of some lines in which he declared that he accepted everything that the Church of Rome confesses. And then: "In like manner I acknowledge the Holy Father of Fathers, the Supreme Pontiff and Vicar of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Pope of Old Rome. Likewise, I acknowledge purgatory. In affirmation of this, I affix my signature."

    There is no doubt whatever that Patriarch Joseph did not write this document. The German scholar Frommann, who made a detailed investigation of the "Testament" of Patriarch Joseph, says: "This document is so Latinized and corresponds so little to the opinion expressed by the Patriarch several days before, that its spuriousness is evident." [1] The ''Testament" appears in the history of the Council of Florence quite late; contemporaries of the Council knew nothing of it.




    Taken from: http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/stmark.aspx

    So I fully agree with you, "how history gets distorted based on the "historian's" bias"...

    The Latins clearly re-wrote/invented this "history" of the Patriarch's fictional "consent"...

    The Latins bullied the Orthodox delegation into signing,
    and then tried to kill St. Mark of Ephesus,
    who refused to sign,
    and he had to flee overland back to Constantinople,
    and was unable to ride by ship with the rest who signed,
    for fear of his life...

    The west is pretty famous for re-writing history, and especially ours...

    Arsenios
    Arsenios

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Cruciform View Post
      Consider the following facts regarding Christ's one historic Catholic Church:

      Jesus promised, "I will build my Church [not "churchES"], and the powers of hell shall not prevail against it" (Mt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

      The Catholic Church is the only universal Christian Church that has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian group is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant communities were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today's Protestant groups are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

      Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

      Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth century. Some even began during your lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.*


      That historical and ecclesiastical status belongs to the Catholic Church alone.



      Gaudium de veritate,

      Cruciform
      +T+



      _______
      *http://www.catholic.com/documents/pi...illar-of-truth
      Good post. You post good posts.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Cruciform View Post
        Consider the following facts regarding Christ's one historic Catholic Church:

        Jesus promised, "I will build my Church [not "churchES"], and the powers of hell shall not prevail against it" (Mt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

        The Catholic Church is the only universal Christian Church that has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian group is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant communities were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today's Protestant groups are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

        Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

        Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth century. Some even began during your lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.*


        That historical and ecclesiastical status belongs to the Catholic Church alone.



        Gaudium de veritate,

        Cruciform
        +T+



        _______
        *http://www.catholic.com/documents/pi...illar-of-truth
        False teachings were around even crept in with the brothers in the New Testament times.

        The Catholic church being around a long time is not assurance of being the truth.

        1 Timothy 4:1 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

        2 Thessalonians 1:6 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you

        1 Timothy 1:3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer

        2 Timothy 2:17 Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus,

        1 John 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

        Galatians 1:8-9 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

        2 Corinthians 11:13 For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

        Acts 20:29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock.


        And Peter warns us---

        2 Peter 2:1-3 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping




        Comment


        • #64
          Catholics started with Simon who thought he could but holy spirit.
          This is the real start of the catholics hiding their paganism under a veneeer of Chrsitianity:

          Catholics believe that our Lord Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church in the year 33. Jesus appointed the apostle Peter as the first vicar or pope. Matthew 16:18-19 are the scriptural references Catholics give to support this. "And I say unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock, I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the Kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shalt be loosed in heaven." (KJV)

          Around the year A.D. 45, Peter went to Rome and assumed control of the church. During the persecution of Christians by the emperor Nero, Peter was imprisoned and scourged. He gave his farewell blessing to all of his flock, and especially to Saint Paul, who was going to be beheaded the same day outside Rome. He was then led to the top of Vatican Mount to be executed by crucifixion. Deeming himself to be unworthy to die in the same position as our Lord, he asked to be crucified upside down. He received his eternal reward on June 29 in the year 67. Two hundred sixty six popes have succeeded Peter since.

          For the next 300 years, Rome would begin a serious persecution against the truth. Christians began to meet behind closed doors and gradual changes were made. Elders of the church were known as bishops, and by the close of the third century; each congregation of any size had a bishop as its head, with a group of elders under him. No work was to be done on Sunday.

          In A.D. 606, Boniface III was given the title "universal bishop," the pope of Rome. The word "pope" means father. This marked the beginning of the Roman Catholic Church.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by WYRose View Post
            Catholics started with Simon who thought he could but holy spirit..
            What a retarded thing to say.

            Comment


            • #66
              A brief excerpt from "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth"
              (source link):

              QUOTE:


              Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

              Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

              Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.

              The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. It must be more than a merely human organization, especially considering that its human members— even some of its leaders—have been unwise, corrupt, or prone to heresy.

              Any merely human organization with such members would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit.

              FOUR MARKS OF THE TRUE CHURCH

              If we wish to locate the Church founded by Jesus, we need to locate the one that has the four chief marks or qualities of his Church. The Church we seek must be one, holy, catholic, and apostolic.

              The Church Is One (Rom. 12:5, 1 Cor. 10:17, 12:13)
              Jesus established only one Church, not a collection of differing churches. The Bible says the Church is the bride of Christ (Eph. 5:23–32). Jesus can have but one spouse, and his spouse is the Catholic Church. His Church also teaches just one set of doctrines, which must be the same as those taught by the apostles (Jude 3). This is the unity of belief to which Scripture calls us (Phil. 1:27, 2:2). Over the centuries, as doctrines are examined more fully, the Church comes to understand them more deeply (John 16:12–13), but it never understands them to mean the opposite of what they once meant.

              The Church Is Holy (Eph. 5:25–27, Rev. 19:7–8)
              By his grace Jesus makes the Church holy, just as he is holy. This doesn’t mean that each member is always holy. Jesus said there would be both good and bad members in the Church (John 6:70), and not all the members would go to heaven (Matt. 7:21–23). But the Church itself is holy because it is the source of holiness and is the guardian of the special means of grace Jesus established, the sacraments (cf. Eph. 5:26).

              The Church Is Catholic (Matt. 28:19–20, Rev. 5:9–10)
              Jesus’ Church is called catholic ("universal" in Greek) because it is his gift to all people. He told his apostles to go throughout the world and make disciples of "all nations" (Matt. 28:19–20). For 2,000 years the Catholic Church has carried out this mission, preaching the good news that Christ died for all men and that he wants all of us to be members of his universal family (Gal. 3:28). Nowadays the Catholic Church is found in every country of the world and is still sending out missionaries to "make disciples of all nations" (Matt. 28:19). The Church Jesus established was known by its most common title, "the Catholic Church," at least as early as the year 107, when Ignatius of Antioch used that title to describe the one Church Jesus founded. The title apparently was old in Ignatius’s time, which means it probably went all the way back to the time of the apostles.

              The Church Is Apostolic (Eph. 2:19–20)
              The Church Jesus founded is apostolic because he appointed the apostles to be the first leaders of the Church, and their successors were to be its future leaders. The apostles were the first bishops, and, since the first century, there has been an unbroken line of Catholic bishops faithfully handing on what the apostles taught the first Christians in Scripture and oral Tradition (2 Tim. 2:2). These beliefs include the bodily Resurrection of Jesus, the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, the sacrificial nature of the Mass, the forgiveness of sins through a priest, baptismal regeneration, the existence of purgatory, Mary’s special role, and much more —even the doctrine of apostolic succession itself. Early Christian writings prove the first Christians were thoroughly Catholic in belief and practice and looked to the successors of the apostles as their leaders. What these first Christians believed is still believed by the Catholic Church. No other Church can make that claim.

              Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

              Man’s ingenuity cannot account for this. The Church has remained one, holy, catholic, and apostolic—not through man’s effort, but because God preserves the Church he established (Matt. 16:18, 28:20). He guided the Israelites on their escape from Egypt by giving them a pillar of fire to light their way across the dark wilderness (Exod. 13:21). Today he guides us through his Catholic Church.

              The Bible, sacred Tradition, and the writings of the earliest Christians testify that the Church teaches with Jesus’ authority. In this age of countless competing religions, each clamoring for attention, one voice rises above the din: the Catholic Church, which the Bible calls "the pillar and foundation of truth" (1 Tim. 3:15).

              Jesus assured the apostles and their successors, the popes and the bishops, "He who listens to you listens to me, and he who rejects you rejects me" (Luke 10:16). Jesus promised to guide his Church into all truth (John 16:12–13). We can have confidence that his Church teaches only the truth.


              END EXCERPT QUOTE

              Comment


              • #67
                Catholics is pagans who worship idols of Ishtar.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by WYRose View Post
                  Catholics is pagans who worship idols of Ishtar.
                  Could you not say Ishtar? How about not worshiping as those worship Ishtar?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Trump Gurl View Post
                    A brief excerpt from "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth"
                    (source link):

                    QUOTE:


                    Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

                    Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

                    Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.

                    The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. It must be more than a merely human organization, especially considering that its human members— even some of its leaders—have been unwise, corrupt, or prone to heresy.

                    Any merely human organization with such members would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit.

                    FOUR MARKS OF THE TRUE CHURCH

                    If we wish to locate the Church founded by Jesus, we need to locate the one that has the four chief marks or qualities of his Church. The Church we seek must be one, holy, catholic, and apostolic.

                    The Church Is One (Rom. 12:5, 1 Cor. 10:17, 12:13)
                    Jesus established only one Church, not a collection of differing churches. The Bible says the Church is the bride of Christ (Eph. 5:23–32). Jesus can have but one spouse, and his spouse is the Catholic Church. His Church also teaches just one set of doctrines, which must be the same as those taught by the apostles (Jude 3). This is the unity of belief to which Scripture calls us (Phil. 1:27, 2:2). Over the centuries, as doctrines are examined more fully, the Church comes to understand them more deeply (John 16:12–13), but it never understands them to mean the opposite of what they once meant.

                    The Church Is Holy (Eph. 5:25–27, Rev. 19:7–8)
                    By his grace Jesus makes the Church holy, just as he is holy. This doesn’t mean that each member is always holy. Jesus said there would be both good and bad members in the Church (John 6:70), and not all the members would go to heaven (Matt. 7:21–23). But the Church itself is holy because it is the source of holiness and is the guardian of the special means of grace Jesus established, the sacraments (cf. Eph. 5:26).

                    The Church Is Catholic (Matt. 28:19–20, Rev. 5:9–10)
                    Jesus’ Church is called catholic ("universal" in Greek) because it is his gift to all people. He told his apostles to go throughout the world and make disciples of "all nations" (Matt. 28:19–20). For 2,000 years the Catholic Church has carried out this mission, preaching the good news that Christ died for all men and that he wants all of us to be members of his universal family (Gal. 3:28). Nowadays the Catholic Church is found in every country of the world and is still sending out missionaries to "make disciples of all nations" (Matt. 28:19). The Church Jesus established was known by its most common title, "the Catholic Church," at least as early as the year 107, when Ignatius of Antioch used that title to describe the one Church Jesus founded. The title apparently was old in Ignatius’s time, which means it probably went all the way back to the time of the apostles.

                    The Church Is Apostolic (Eph. 2:19–20)
                    The Church Jesus founded is apostolic because he appointed the apostles to be the first leaders of the Church, and their successors were to be its future leaders. The apostles were the first bishops, and, since the first century, there has been an unbroken line of Catholic bishops faithfully handing on what the apostles taught the first Christians in Scripture and oral Tradition (2 Tim. 2:2). These beliefs include the bodily Resurrection of Jesus, the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, the sacrificial nature of the Mass, the forgiveness of sins through a priest, baptismal regeneration, the existence of purgatory, Mary’s special role, and much more —even the doctrine of apostolic succession itself. Early Christian writings prove the first Christians were thoroughly Catholic in belief and practice and looked to the successors of the apostles as their leaders. What these first Christians believed is still believed by the Catholic Church. No other Church can make that claim.

                    Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

                    Man’s ingenuity cannot account for this. The Church has remained one, holy, catholic, and apostolic—not through man’s effort, but because God preserves the Church he established (Matt. 16:18, 28:20). He guided the Israelites on their escape from Egypt by giving them a pillar of fire to light their way across the dark wilderness (Exod. 13:21). Today he guides us through his Catholic Church.

                    The Bible, sacred Tradition, and the writings of the earliest Christians testify that the Church teaches with Jesus’ authority. In this age of countless competing religions, each clamoring for attention, one voice rises above the din: the Catholic Church, which the Bible calls "the pillar and foundation of truth" (1 Tim. 3:15).

                    Jesus assured the apostles and their successors, the popes and the bishops, "He who listens to you listens to me, and he who rejects you rejects me" (Luke 10:16). Jesus promised to guide his Church into all truth (John 16:12–13). We can have confidence that his Church teaches only the truth.


                    END EXCERPT QUOTE
                    Who is ready your long copy and paste?

                    You don't even highlight any of it.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by God's Truth View Post

                      Could you not say Ishtar? How about not worshiping as those worship Ishtar?
                      Catholics worship Ishtar. That is the truth.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by WYRose View Post

                        Catholics worship Ishtar. That is the truth.
                        No they don't, they worship Mary and other "Saints". They worship them as the pagans worship their gods.

                        Stop saying they worship someone and they never even heard of that name before.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          These wonderful Catholics: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-51821411
                          quote; 'the cult had tenuous links to Roman Catholicism with its leadership dominated by a number of defrocked priests and nuns, including Ursula Komuhangi and Dominic Kataribabo.'

                          The heart of the righteous studieth to answer: but the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things.
                          -Proverbs 15:28

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by jamie View Post
                            Which of the seven churches of Jesus Christ is the Catholic church?
                            Seven is a number of completeness. That section of the Bible is not to be taken literally.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Cruciform View Post
                              Consider the following facts regarding Christ's one historic Catholic Church:

                              Jesus promised, "I will build my Church [not "churchES"], and the powers of hell shall not prevail against it" (Mt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

                              The Catholic Church is the only universal Christian Church that has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian group is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant communities were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today's Protestant groups are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

                              Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

                              Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth century. Some even began during your lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.*


                              That historical and ecclesiastical status belongs to the Catholic Church alone.



                              Gaudium de veritate,

                              Cruciform
                              +T+



                              _______
                              *http://www.catholic.com/documents/pi...illar-of-truth

                              Comment


                              • #75


                                Originally posted by Cruciform View Post
                                Consider the following facts regarding Christ's one historic Catholic Church:
                                Jesus promised, "I will build my Church [not "churchES"], and the powers of hell shall not prevail against it" (Mt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

                                The Catholic Church is the only universal Christian Church that has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian group is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant communities were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today's Protestant groups are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

                                Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

                                Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth century. Some even began during your lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.*




                                That historical and ecclesiastical status belongs to the Catholic Church alone.



                                Gaudium de veritate,

                                Cruciform
                                +T+



                                _______
                                *http://www.catholic.com/documents/pi...illar-of-truth
                                Jesus' body is what went to Hell and the GATES of that HELL could not keep him there.

                                The church is the body of Christ, and NOT the apostate Catholic church.

                                The Catholic church wasn't in Hell and came out of it.

                                The Catholic church has been around for a long time, and so has false workers.

                                Paul said their were preachers of falseness back then, even among the brothers.

                                So why take pride in having been around a long time?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X