ECT PneumaPsucheSoma and AMR Discuss Trinitarianism

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
A thread for PPS and myself to drive a few things to ground related to some particular sacred theology proper topics in hopes of edification and glorifying God.

Background...

An Olive Branch (AMR):
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4222285#post4222285

A Welcomed Response (PPS):
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4224234#post4224234

Let's begin, PPS.

Let's. :)

And my intention is to severely limit any other cross-talk with others. The time limitations of a 1-on-1 make this thread the most feasible solution.

One of my priorities is clearly determining and representing both cataphatic (what something is) and apophatic (what something is not) statements.

As I understand your posts on the topic, it seems to me your basic thesis statement is as follows:

1. God is a singular transcendent hypostasis underlying an ousia.

Yes, and we'll need to clearly define transcendent/transcendence, along with hypostasis and ousia (and physis and prosopon, etc.).

2. God's literal Logos and Pneuma are the two-fold, singular, external, economic procession of His hypostasis into creation when / as He spoke to create.

Yes. The foundation is also understanding the definition of Rhema and it's interrelation with Logos, and the definition for Logos.

I'd also specify God's Logos and Pneuma to be intrinsically and ontologically divine (again acknowledging the need to define terms such as ontology).

3. Each (Logos and Pneuma) are qualitatively, rather than quantitatively distinct.

Yes, the foundational premise partially being that God, in His inherently immutable and transcendent UNcreated Self-existence, cannot be measured or otherwise quantified.

Rather than start too much beforehand, I need to know if I have accurately captured your basic starting premise. Have I?

AMR

Yes, though it will all require cohesive lexical and exegetical narrative.

--------

And I'll follow up with the below general affirmation outline that will demonstrate that I clearly eschew any form of Sabellianism/Semi-Sabellianism, Arianism/Semi-Arianism, or Socinianism/Unitarianism/Ebionism/Adoptionism; or any formulaic that includes a created angelic being as the Son (SDA, JW) or any form of Tritheism (LDS, etc,). Nor I'm an Emanationist, Docetist, or Gnostic of any "flavor".

I affirm:
There is One Deity.
The Father is Deity.
The Holy Spirit is Deity.
The Word (Son) is Deity.
These are One Deity.

The Father is Eternally Pre-Existent.
The Holy Spirit is Eternally Pre-Existent.
The Word is Eternally Pre-Existent.

The Father is Uncreated and Unbegotten.
The Holy Sprit is Uncreated and Unbegotten.
The Son is Uncreated and the Only Begotten.

The Father is not the Holy Spirit nor the Son (Word).
The Holy Spirit is not the Father nor the Son (Word).
The Son (Word) is not the Fahter nor the Holy Spirit.

The Son proceeded forth and came from the Father, Sent by the Father.
The Holy Spirit proceedeth from the Father, Sent by the Father and the Son.
(The Holy Spirit proceedeth NOT from both the Father and the Son [Filioque], though Sent by Both.)

Jesus is the Son of God and is Fully and Authentically Divine, Begotten of the Father by the Holy Spirit.
Jesus is the son of man and is fully and authentically human with a rational soul, born of the virgin by the Holy Spirit.
The Virgin Birth of Jesus was a Supernatural Procreative Act of God, NOT a Creative Act.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all distinct, uncreated, eternal, non-modal, non-sequential, concurrent, con-essential, con-substantial, inherently ontological Deity.

The Father is not the Son is not the Father (are not the Holy Spirit).

--------

I predominantly affirm Cappadocian resolution of the regional definitions and usages for the major terms, but ultimately I disagree with the final application and quantity of "hypostasis/es".

I also affirm Chalcedonian Dyophysitic Christology of the Hypostatic Union, though allowing for some inclusion of Cyrillian Miaphysitism. I DISaffirm Nestorian, Eutychian, and Apollinarian variants of Christology and any hint of pure Monophysitism. Theanthropos is the singular qualitatively-processed divine hypostasis, having taken on (and underlying) a human physis to accompany the inherent divine physis for God's singular ousia.

Contrary to Western innovation, the ousia does not "have" the hypostasis/es. The hypostasis is the underlying foundational reality for the ousia. And the prosopon "has" the hypostasis, being the outward observable appearance with both intangible and tangible reality. There is no ousia distinct from the hypostasis/es as a "second/fourth aspect". The only "being" of the ousia is that of the hypostasis/es as its foundation for existence.

The Logos and Pneuma are qualitative ontological distinctions, economically and externally processed out from (exerchomai and ekporeuomai, respectively) God's singular hypostasis at creation, and are not quantitatively distinct as individuated hypostases.

This contrasts to the Orthodox formulaic that Father (eternally unbegotten), Son (eternally begotten) and Holy Spirit (eternally proceeding) are both qualitatively and quantitatively distinct as multiple hypostases (underlying the ousia) according to internal procession/s.

And my further premise is that there is clear distinction between eternal (aidios: without beginning or end), everlasting (aionios: having a beginning, but without end), and temporality (chronos and chairos: chronological time and seasons relative to the cosmos, having both a beginning and an end). Orthodoxy has virtually universally and interchangeably combined the former two (aidios and aionios).

Other contrasted pairings of terms that will need definition will include essence/energies, ontology/economy, phenomenological/noumenological, and others.

--------

That may be a bit of a big initial chunk, but we can distill it down in various manners. My intention is to both preempt and prompt questions in addition to those you already have.

My primary and preferred lexical source is Spiros Zodhiates, the late preeminent native first-language Greek scholar; but no single lexical source could suffice, for obvious reasons.

And... Off we go. I pray immeasurable blessings on your heart and life as iron mutually sharpens iron. And I do so with great heaviness, not having known of your home hardships until your last rep to me.

Feel free to set the pace and tone; and to ask whatever you will for clarity to begin and beyond.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
"I also affirm Chalcedonian Dyophysitic Christology of the Hypostatic Union, though allowing for some inclusion of Cyrillian Miaphysitism. I DISaffirm Nestorian, Eutychian, and Appollinarian variants of Christology and any hint of pure Monophysitism. Theanthropos is the singular qualitatively-processed divine hypostasis, having taken on (and underlying) a human physis to accompany the inherent divine physis for God's singular ousia......."

I affirm I prefer listening to Jethro, and Ellie Mae...

john w

Hall of Fame
Yes, they are much better than the Professor and Gilligan

I reckon I'll take a "3 day" cruise away from this thread, and brush up on my ciphering, international nought nought seven spying, and my gazinta's. I might even smoke me some crawdads.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
My bong is in the shop.

2 Corinthians 3 KJV

12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:

Plainness*of*speech is an English word cluster used to translate the single Greek word "parresia"; and it, like most other English words, doesn't mean what many/most presume it means in their arrogant and ignorant presumption.

Parresia is freedom or frankness in speaking; freely saying all that one thinks, all that one pleases; confidence or boldness, particularly in speaking; plainness, particularly of speech; openness, making speech public; freedom, liberty; denotes being public or publicly known, in opposition to being concealed. Denotes the unwavering, fearless, and unhesitating confidence of faith in communion with God; in fulfilling the duties of the evangelist and holding fast our hope, and in every act which implies a special exercise of faith.

Parresia removes the fear and anxiety which characterize man's relation to God. It comes as the result of the ground of guilt being set aside and manifests itself in undoubting confidence in prayer.

I use nothing BUT great parresia, as evidenced in my above post and to the contrary of those who don't know what parresia means and make up their own false conceptual understanding.

English and its many varied concepts are irrelevant if not an accurate translated definition.

Parresia is not some dumbed-down form of simplicity to be demanded by those with puffed-up pseudo-knowledge.

john w

Hall of Fame
Plainness*of*speech is an English word cluster used to translate the single Greek word "parresia"; and it, like most other English words, doesn't mean what many/most presume it means in their arrogant and ignorant presumption.

Parresia is freedom or frankness in speaking; freely saying all that one thinks, all that one pleases; confidence or boldness, particularly in speaking; plainness, particularly of speech; openness, making speech public; freedom, liberty; denotes being public or publicly known, in opposition to being concealed. Denotes the unwavering, fearless, and unhesitating confidence of faith in communion with God; in fulfilling the duties of the evangelist and holding fast our hope, and in every act which implies a special exercise of faith.

Parresia removes the fear and anxiety which characterize man's relation to God. It comes as the result of the ground of guilt being set aside and manifests itself in undoubting confidence in prayer.

I use nothing BUT great parresia, as evidenced in my above post and to the contrary of those who don't know what parresia means and make up their own false conceptual understanding.

English and its many varied concepts are irrelevant if not an accurate translated definition.

Parresia is not some dumbed-down form of simplicity to be demanded by those with puffed-up pseudo-knowledge.

"12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: "

vs.

"the single Greek word "parresia";

Thanks for proving my point, you proud, as puffed up as a bullfrog, in heat, and blowhard.

Stuff and shuck your pseudo "intellectual" fancy word(s), and your "Greek," as you can't speak it, write it, understand it, and would not know the difference between "Jimmy the Greek," and a gyros, and thanks for just looking in a Strong's Concordance, and "translating" a "Greek" word into "the English," and then thinking, "I impressed everyone, as I caint get enough from this 'the greek' addiction/high, and everyone looks up to me" jazz.

Fraud. Man pleaser, as the LORD God is quite capable of providing His word in English, without your "hep," Jethro.

And stuff this..

I also affirm Chalcedonian Dyophysitic Christology of the Hypostatic Union, though allowing for some inclusion of Cyrillian Miaphysitism. I DISaffirm Nestorian, Eutychian, and Apollinarian variants of Christology and any hint of pure Monophysitism. Theanthropos is the singular qualitatively-processed divine hypostasis, having taken on (and underlying) a human physis to accompany the inherent divine physis for God's singular ousia.

Anyones got sum ousia's or physis I can munch on?

OCTOBER23

Fine, I won't waste my Brilliant parrhesia in its nominal Latin form

on this meaningless "free speech" discussion. :mario:

john w

Hall of Fame
john w

Would an UZI Machine gun DO ?

I'm still checkin' out my Roger's/Roget's Thesaurus for the below stumper:

"Yes, and we'll need to clearly define transcendent/transcendence, along with hypostasis and ousia (and physis and prosopon, etc.)."

I once offered to buy a chick, 2 1/3 drinks, that transcends transcendence. Does that qualify me to enter into the ring, to debate?

Isn't "prosopon" an Alaskan fish?

I think Barney Fife did a little "hypostasis." Wait...That was hypnosis...

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let's. :)
And my intention is to severely limit any other cross-talk with others. The time limitations of a 1-on-1 make this thread the most feasible solution.
Wonderful and agreed!

That may be a bit of a big initial chunk, but we can distill it down in various manners. My intention is to both preempt and prompt questions in addition to those you already have.
Fair enough and appreciated. I will need some time to parse it all into "bite size chunks" for discussion. In so doing I want to say I am not ignoring your "initial chunk" and appreciate your taking the time to lay out a good foundation, thus I will try to deal with things in a cascading sequence building upon antecedents.

My primary and preferred lexical source is Spiros Zodhiates, the late preeminent native first-language Greek scholar; but no single lexical source could suffice, for obvious reasons.
Good to know. I have several of his works and may not agree with him on some of his doctrinal points, but find him to be lexically trustworthy. I tend to rely much upon BDAG in my studies and where Zodhiates and BDAG are at odds (I hope not much!), I will be careful to note the same.

And... Off we go. I pray immeasurable blessings on your heart and life as iron mutually sharpens iron. And I do so with great heaviness, not having known of your home hardships until your last rep to me.
Very kind and charitable words. Thank you!

Feel free to set the pace and tone; and to ask whatever you will for clarity to begin and beyond.
Again, I appreciate the willingness to bear with me and my personal situation.

AMR

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
1. God is a singular transcendent hypostasis underlying an ousia.
One distinction underneath an existence or being. But you are still an idolater.

Ask Mr. Religion said:
2. God's literal Logos and Pneuma are the two-fold, singular, external, economic procession of His hypostasis into creation when / as He spoke to create.
No a logos is greek meaning statement. So he has his own logos, which would be his name, not being the name Jesus. The Early Church Fathers didn't know the word Yahweh. Yahweh is modern Hebrew but close enough.

Ask Mr. Religion said:
3. Each (Logos and Pneuma) are qualitatively, rather than quantitatively distinct.
You propose 3 Yahweh's.

Last edited:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It would be appropriate to limit the responses on this thread to PPS and AMR. I have found there is too much cross talk on what should be a one on one.

Simon Baker

BANNED
Banned
One distinction underneath an existence or being. But you are still and idolater.

No a logos is greek meaning statement. So he word have his own logos, which would be his name, not being the name Jesus. The Early Church Fathers didn't know the word Yahweh. Yahweh is modern Hebrew but close enough.

You propose 3 Yahweh's.

Start Your Own Thread. Omni Ain't A Great Way To Start. Listen, For a Change. A Bold New Concept

Zeke

One distinction underneath an existence or being. But you are still and idolater.

No a logos is greek meaning statement. So he word have his own logos, which would be his name, not being the name Jesus. The Early Church Fathers didn't know the word Yahweh. Yahweh is modern Hebrew but close enough.

You propose 3 Yahweh's.