Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did we get the idea of the need for infant baptism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECT: Where did we get the idea of the need for infant baptism?

Where did that thinking originate? Is it necessary? Is it a decree of God?
    "That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;" Philippians 2:15 (KJV)

Matthew 19:13-14?

That and the general overall idea that baptism is necessary for all humans and infants are humans.

Comment

The Catholic view is going to be totally different than anything I'm used to.

The Presbyterian view defends infant baptism on the grounds of a continuity between the old and new covenants, as well as several references to "households" being baptized. I would disagree because of Jeremiah 31:31-35 as well as the Biblical formulation being "repent and be baptized."

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
        Matthew 19:13-14?

That and the general overall idea that baptism is necessary for all humans and infants are humans.
        So where do we get the "overall view". Matt 19 -- does even allude to it.
        "That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;" Philippians 2:15 (KJV)

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Liberty View Post
          The Catholic view is going to be totally different than anything I'm used to.

The Presbyterian view defends infant baptism on the grounds of a continuity between the old and new covenants, as well as several references to "households" being baptized. I would disagree because of Jeremiah 31:31-35 as well as the Biblical formulation being "repent and be baptized."

I want to and hope we can limit this discussion strictly to infant baptism.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Reference View Post
            "Thinking" is in covenant. If you are a believer, your significant is a believer, does God promise a line of promise thereafter, yes, spiritually and scripturally Acts 2:37-40
            "I will guard my ways That I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle While the wicked are in my presence." I was mute and silent, I refrained even from good, And my sorrow grew worse. My heart was hot within me, While I was musing the fire burned; Then I spoke with my tongue:"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. NASB

Comment

I think it's the faulty idea that water baptism is the new covenant version of circumcision.
              Originally posted by Interplanner
              They can't compete with a real writer and grammar scholar
              You're too literal to get it.
              The New Covenant preceded the Old Covenant.

Comment

Originally posted by dreadknought View Post
                "Thinking" is in covenant. If you are a believer, your significant is a believer, does God promise a line of promise thereafter, yes, spiritually and scripturally Acts 2:37-40

Infant baptism only, please.

Comment

Infant baptism only, please.
                  I'm sorry, which part of covenant did you not understand?
                  "I will guard my ways That I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle While the wicked are in my presence." I was mute and silent, I refrained even from good, And my sorrow grew worse. My heart was hot within me, While I was musing the fire burned; Then I spoke with my tongue:"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. NASB

Comment

Originally posted by dreadknought View Post
                    I'm sorry, which part of covenant did you not understand?
                    What part of my asking it be limited to infant baptism, don't you understand?
                    Last edited by Cross Reference; January 27, 2015, 09:59 AM.

Comment

That's an excellent leading question. Thanks for asking it. It's a great occasion for someone to ask 'Are bicycles a decree of God?' No? So why are we riding them? They should be outlawed. In France they used not to eat potatoes because potatoes never occurred in the Bible. Potatoes aren't necessary so we shouldn't eat them. This is the same as your argument against infant baptism.

And listen everyone, haven't you worked out that this thread is limited to infant baptism? You are all off topic!
                      Well, except the few of you who are on topic. And even if you are on topic, you are not on topic unless xref says you are. Or at least doesn't say that you're not. Got it? And if you disagree with him, that probably means that you are off topic anyway. So, carry on and be good!
                      Total Misanthropy.
                      Uncertain salvation.
                      Luck of the draw.
                      Irresistible damnation.
                      Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
                      (The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

RevTestament: It doesn't matter to me too much that the "New Testament wasn't written in Hebrew.
                      Dialogos: Calvin, as a sinner, probably got some things wrong.
                      Brandplucked: I'm shocked that other people disagree with me.

Comment

Where is infant baptism noted in the scriptures?

Comment

Where did we get the idea of the need for infant baptism?

from the same theologians who figured out how many angels could dance on the head of a needle
                          a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

Where is infant baptism noted in the scriptures?
                            where does it say the world is round?
                            a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

So where do we get the "overall view". Matt 19 -- does even allude to it.
                              This is clearly too complex for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X