ECT What is your reason for wanting to become a Christian?

Cross Reference

Angels are not real objects that can be 'beloved'. They are a form of spiritual artifice, invented by we humans, to represent experiential phenomena that we have no other way of making sense of. The phenomena is real, to be sure, but our characterization of it as some sort of disembodied humanoid-like spirit beings, is mostly the result of our own imaginative superstitions.

Also, I don't view mankind's existence is being the objective of God's love, alone. We are not just objects, for one thing. We are a spiritual phenomena. And as such we are the expressions God's love as much as we are the recipients of it. Just as your own child would be an expression of your love as much as being the recipient of it (if properly conceived, that is).

Indeed, you have a 'different' way of viewing God that I can't find in the scriptures to be in the slightest bit, to mu understanding of them, promising for eternal life.

May I suggest a good read, made to order for someone as yourself:

"Ultimate Intention" by Devern Fromke.

There are many URL's if you google him or the title. If you are serious, you won't be disappointed in the book.

PureX

Indeed, you have a 'different' way of viewing God that I can't find in the scriptures to be in the slightest bit, to mu understanding of them, promising for eternal life.
God is not in the scriptures. Or at least, not any more-so than anywhere else.

Why should we look for God in religion?
May I suggest a good read, made to order for someone as yourself:

"Ultimate Intention" by Devern Fromke.

There are many URL's if you google him or the title. If you are serious, you won't be disappointed in the book.
What do you think God's ultimate intention is? … And why do you think so?

Cross Reference

God is not in the scriptures. Or at least, not any more-so than anywhere else.

Why should we look for God in religion?
What do you think God's ultimate intention is? … And why do you think so?

Read the book. It is the best understanding about God by any author you will find.

Based upon what you have stated about yourself, I don't believe I could persuade you in anyway. That would obviously be my "intention". However and FWIW, believe for and experience a personal relationship with Him I wouldn't have had by any religious nominalism. So in that, I am in agreement with you. Having said that, you are still without excuse for not pursuing God to know Him as His Word requires for eternal life as He has purposed for this who love Him..

Happy hunting,

PureX

Read the book. It is the best understanding about God by any author you will find.
What makes you assume this author knows any more about God than anyone else? Even if you don't trust your own ability to reason and understand, why would you trust someone else's?
Based upon what you have stated about yourself, I don't believe I could persuade you in anyway. That would obviously be my "intention".
Why? Why do you assume that your understanding of God should apply to me?
However and FWIW, believe for and experience a personal relationship with Him I wouldn't have had by any religious nominalism. So in that, I am in agreement with you. Having said that, you are still without excuse for not pursuing God to know Him as His Word requires for eternal life as He has purposed for this who love Him.
Why do I need an excuse? Why do you assume that God wants us to try and understand 'Him'? Seems to me that if our understanding 'Him' was God's intent, we would, already. And if our pursuing 'Him' but not understanding 'Him' was God's intent, that would make God weirdly incoherent. Which does not seem very likely.

I think I'm asking some very reasonable questions, and making some very reasonable observation, here. Do you do the same in your own quest for God? If not, why not? Do you believe that the pathway to God is to forgo human reason? If so, then I guess it would be unreasonable for me to ask you to explain your reasoning. Wouldn't it.

But if that's true, and you want to forgo human reason, how can we even converse? And why are you here on TOL asking these questions?

Cross Reference

What makes you assume this author knows any more about God than anyone else? Even if you don't trust your own ability to reason and understand, why would you trust someone else's?

Read the book and then critique it. He's been at it longer than most and I taught from this particular book 50 yrs ago. It will explain God in a wonderful way you have never experienced.

Why? Why do you assume that your understanding of God should apply to me?

By what you presently espouse that speaks of serious confusion.

. . . . . Why do you assume that God wants us to try and understand 'Him'?

Because His word says such things a that.

Seems to me that if our understanding 'Him' was God's intent, we would, already. And if our pursuing 'Him' but not understanding 'Him' was God's intent, that would make God weirdly incoherent. Which does not seem very likely.

Based upon what? Your opinion, and what is that based upon __ whose books/writings?

I think I'm asking some very reasonable questions, and making some very reasonable observation, here. Do you do the same in your own quest for God? If not, why not?

My quest for God is satisfied. Knowing Him as He desires to be known is a love affair pursuit to Him I am enjoying.

Do you believe that the pathway to God is to forgo human reason? If so, then I guess it would be unreasonable for me to ask you to explain your reasoning. Wouldn't it.

Human reasoning took me to His 'doorstep'. I want what He promises.

But if that's true, and you want to forgo human reason, how can we even converse?

I am foregoing nothing. Try to fathom this reasoning. Try real hard because it is the truth: To be any earthly good one must be completely heavenly minded. Why?? . . because one day everything on this earth and beyond will be summed up in Jesus Christ.

And why are you here on TOL asking these questions?

I am trolling for hungry minds for honest and sincere discussions. Not silly debate and questions that profit no one.

revpete

Plenty seek after God. That is why missionaries are sent, i.e., to make disciples of those who understand His Name is Jesus..

Then you disagree with scripture: Ps 14:2,3; Jn 6:44; Rom 3:11. Missionaries are sent to preach the gospel and then to make disciples of those whose hearts The Lord has been pleased to open and respond as He did with Lydia: Acts 16:14.

Pete 👤

Cross Reference

Then you disagree with scripture: Ps 14:2,3; Jn 6:44; Rom 3:11. Missionaries are sent to preach the gospel and then to make disciples of those whose hearts The Lord has been pleased to open and respond as He did with Lydia: Acts 16:14.

Pete ��
So the missionary goes in and tells everyone they are going to hell if they don't have Jesus in their heart; quote a few proof texts, have an alter call and having all recite a sinners prayer. Is that correct?

revpete

So the missionary goes in and tells everyone they are going to hell if they don't have Jesus in their heart; quote a few proof texts, have an alter call and having all recite a sinners prayer. Is that correct?

Stick to the subject! What has that got to with the verses I quoted? 😠

Pete 👤

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
OP: What is your reason for wanting to become a Christian?

I didn't want to become a Christian.

The darkness pressed me towards the light and I discovered His name is Jesus.
I remember clearly, after coming to Christ, having my sins forgiven, my guilt removed, and being filled with the peace of GOD, saying, "Wow....now I'm a Christian! What am I gonna' tell my friends?"