Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter, the great feast of the Paschal Mystery,

https://www.facebook.com/Dr.ScottHah...28195920534831

Every year, as we prepare to celebrate Easter, the great feast of the Paschal Mystery, we undergo purification through forty days of desert: the “forty days” of Lent. Lent is the season that begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, the day before Easter. When we exclude Sundays (the ancient Fathers forbade fasting on Sundays), that usually makes for a total of forty days.

The number forty is primarily symbolic—and it is richly symbolic. The earliest reference we have to a forty-day preparation for Easter is in the canons of the Council of Nicaea (a.d. 325). One of the most compact expressions of its meaning, however, appears in the work of St. John Cassian in the fifth century. He describes Lent as “the tithes of the year,” because it is roughly a tenth of the days in a year. We give those days to the Lord as a special offering; and, in doing so, we imitate his own fast, as he intended us to do. Cassian also notes the Old Testament models of Israel in the wilderness, and of Moses and Elijah, who also underwent fortyday fasts.

If we are lay people living in the world, we need not take on a monastic fast of bread and water. In my country, we follow the Lenten custom of fasting by “giving something up,” preferably a favorite food or pastime to which we are unduly attached. We may also stop eating between meals, or skip dessert, or forgo second helpings. We return it all to God for forty days, not because any of it is “bad,” but because it is indeed very good. Only good things should be offered in sacrifice to God; only the best of the harvest could be offered as a tithe. We give them to God so that we learn not to put anything in God’s place in our lives.

—I hope you enjoyed this excerpt from my book “Signs of Life.” Learn more at https://stpaulcenter.com/product/sig...biblical-roots

Scott Hahn

Ready or Not, It’s Lent
    https://www.catholic.com/magazine/on...r-not-its-lent

Lent is here, that penitential season on the liturgical calendar when Catholics give up all sorts of things for spiritual reasons. And it is again that time of year when the questions start pouring into Catholic Answers’ apologetics department about how Catholics should observe Lent. The unspoken problem at the root of many of the concerns often seems to be a need to know how quickly the Lenten penances can be chucked.

Comment

So, what's the mystery about??
      I Champion GOD’s holiness:
      - GOD did not need evil so did not create evil for any reason.
      - All evil is creature-created.

I Champion Our Free will:
      - All spirits created in HIS image had an equal ability and opportunity to choose either heaven or hell by their free will.

Comment

Originally posted by Trump Gurl View Post
        Ready or Not, It’s Lent
        https://www.catholic.com/magazine/on...r-not-its-lent

Lent is here, that penitential season on the liturgical calendar when Catholics give up all sorts of things for spiritual reasons. And it is again that time of year when the questions start pouring into Catholic Answers’ apologetics department about how Catholics should observe Lent. The unspoken problem at the root of many of the concerns often seems to be a need to know how quickly the Lenten penances can be chucked.
        No such thing in the Bible.
        Oh how I love the Word of God!

Don't just hear the word and believe it---do it.

Comment

My Mom had us give up dessert during lent!

Comment

Originally posted by God's Truth View Post

No such thing as oxygen in the Bible.
            "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

Comment

Originally posted by Idolater View Post
              Do you want to make up an oxygen ritual that isn't in the Bible?

Don't you fear God?

What happened to Aaron's two son's?

Comment

Do you want to make up an oxygen ritual that isn't in the Bible?

Don't you fear God?

What happened to Aaron's two son's?
                If something's not in the Bible, like how oxygen isn't in the Bible, that really doesn't mean very much at all then, wouldn't you say?

@Nee_Nihilo

Comment

If something's not in the Bible, like how oxygen isn't in the Bible, that really doesn't mean very much at all then, wouldn't you say?
                  You can't make up rituals that God didn't command.

It is called obeying man rather than God.

It is called nullifying God with your traditions.

Matthew 15:6-9 Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.’”

Comment

So we can make up anything that we want?

All of my ancestors are human.
                    Originally posted by Squeaky
                    That explains why your an idiot.
                    Originally posted by God's Truth
                    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
                    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
                    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
                    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

Comment

It is called obeying man rather than God.

It is called nullifying God with your traditions.

Matthew 15:6-9 Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.’”

Non-responsive.

@Nee_Nihilo

Comment

Non-responsive.
                        I gave you a response, a biblical one.

Comment

Originally posted by ttruscott View Post
                          So, what's the mystery about??
                          The greatest mystery of all: The almighty God who became man and let himself be nailed to a cross so men could be saved and be with God.

Comment

Not true.

Question:

Every year during Lent I'm asked why Catholics fast and abstain. How can I explain our Lenten practice?

Answer:

Explain that Lent is the 40 days before Easter in which Catholics pray, fast, contemplate, and engage in acts of spiritual self-discipline. Catholics do these things because Easter, which celebrates the Resurrection of Christ, is the greatest holy day of the Christian year (even above Christmas) and Catholics have recognized that it is appropriate to prepare for such a holy day by engaging in such disciplines.

The reason Lent lasts 40 days is that 40 is the traditional number of judgment and spiritual testing in the Bible (Gn 7:4, Ex 24:18, 34:28, Nm 13:25, 14:33, Jon 3:4). Lent bears particular relationship to the 40 days Christ spent fasting in the desert before entering into his public ministry (Mt 4:1-11). Catholics imitate Christ by spending 40 days in spiritual discipline before the celebration of Christ’s triumph over sin and death.

Fasting is a biblical discipline that can be defended from both the Old and the New Testament. Christ expected his disciples to fast (Mt 9:14-15) and issued instructions for how they should do so (Mt 6:16-18). Catholics follow this pattern by holding a partial fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Abstinence from certain foods is also a biblical discipline. In Daniel 10:2-3 we read, “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning for three weeks. I ate no delicacies, no meat or wine entered my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, for the full three weeks.” Catholics use a practice similar to Daniel’s when, as a way of commemorating Christ’s Crucifixion on a Friday, they abstain from eating meat on that day of the week during Lent. The only kind of flesh they eat on Friday is fish, which is a symbol of Christ.

Even the Ash Wednesday practice of having one’s forehead signed with ashes has a biblical parallel. Putting ashes on one’s head was a common biblical expression of mourning (1 Sm 13:19, Est 4:1, Is 61:3; see also Est 4:3, Jer 6:26, Ez 27:30, Dn 9:3, Mt 11:21, Lk 10:13). By having the sign of the cross made with ashes on their foreheads, Catholics mourn Christ’s suffering on the cross and their own sins, which made that suffering necessary.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/why-do-c...ce-during-lent

Comment

Show us all where God commanded that a New Testament be put together.

Waiting.....

tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock,

You are wrong. Buh bye.

Comment

Working...
                              X