Jesus Cleanses the Temple of His Body Like an Aggressive Moose

Jeff Wickham

Jesus cleansed the temple but then revealed that the true temple is His body. The time He drove out the money changers was an illustration of the greater work He desires to do within His members. He approaches this work in an aggressive and refreshing manner, like a moose chasing away threats. This video shares three points that unpack the deeper meaning of this living parable.

What are some ways you have experienced Christ's cleansing work in your life?

popsthebuilder1

Jesus cleansed the temple but then revealed that the true temple is His body. The time He drove out the money changers was an illustration of the greater work He desires to do within His members. He approaches this work in an aggressive and refreshing manner, like a moose chasing away threats. This video shares three points that unpack the deeper meaning of this living parable.

What are some ways you have experienced Christ's cleansing work in your life?

Good topic friend. I didn't watch the video though, to be honest.

To answer your question though; for starters; by making sun exceedingly sinful.

The conscience is key I believe.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Jeff Wickham

Good topic friend. I didn't watch the video though, to be honest.

To answer your question though; for starters; by making sun exceedingly sinful.

The conscience is key I believe.

Conscience is so important, isn't it? And I think the thing that awakens our conscience more than anything is contemplating the life of Christ. As we behold His matchless love, it awakens love in our hearts for Him. In college I went to a private Christian university for a couple years. One of the professors gave us a 10-day challenge. Those who took him up on it were to spend an hour first thing in the morning studying and reflecting on the life of Christ. It was such a blessing that I eventually incorporated a similar practice into my devotional life.

Right Divider

Body part
One of the biggest problems with Churchianity (that is my name for Christianity that is full of myths and confusion) today is focusing too much on "the life of Christ" without consideration for the details of that life.

This includes:
  • He was a Jew under the law. (Gal 4:4)
  • He was a minister of the circumcision. (Rom 15:8)
  • He would rarely even speak to gentiles and even then only after they acknowledged their subservience to Israel. He called them "dogs" and called their faith great only after they acknowledged that. (Matt. 15:26-28)
  • Jesus taught His disciples to follow the law (Matt 28:20 with Matt 23:1-3).
  • Jesus is never once recorded in scripture of preaching "grace", though he often taught the law.
  • There are many, many more.

popsthebuilder1

One of the biggest problems with Churchianity (that is my name for Christianity that is full of myths and confusion) today is focusing too much on "the life of Christ" without consideration for the details of that life.

This includes:
  • He would rarely even speak to gentiles and even then only after they acknowledged their subservience to Israel. He called them "dogs" and called their faith great only after they acknowledged that. (Matt. 15:26-28)
  • Jesus is never once recorded in scripture of preaching "grace", though he often taught the law.
Yeah; the law of the Spirit is a real thing we will really be trying to abide by if sincere followers of the Christ of GOD; not hearers only, but doers of the gospel.

popsthebuilder1

Stop :spam: ing

If you want to response to my posts, respond to my posts.
What are you calling spamming? And I did respond to your last "response" which was no real response at all.

Anyone can go around hollering "spammer" ,when a valid point is brought up. Pretty childish and in no way refutes anything posted; but do you I guess

Right Divider

Body part
What are you calling spamming? And I did respond to your last "response" which was no real response at all.

Anyone can go around hollering "spammer" ,when a valid point is brought up. Pretty childish and in no way refutes anything posted; but do you I guess

No... you did NOT address anything that I posted.

Cntrysner

You Sir, should be canned like spam.

popsthebuilder1

The Spirit does rebuke those He loves.

Sometimes it is now doubt needed that the good Shepard ring is in with His crook

popsthebuilder1

The Spirit does rebuke those He loves.

Sometimes it is now doubt needed that the good Shepard ring is in with His crook

Does anyone know why I can't edit my posts? I guess I could bring such a question to moderation.

Maybe it will help me to proof my posts, and re-read them a couple times.

Jeff Wickham

By way of reminder, the way we treat members of the body of Christ is the way we treat Christ. This is true even if those members are not acting Christlike. Courage, brothers and sisters. The Lord will help us in this endeavor.

This includes:

If I understand the gist of this statement correctly, the concern is that we not spiritualize texts and thus lose out on their plain meaning. I agree that it is possible to read things into passages where it is unwarranted. But there are other texts that do have deep meaning below the surface, and I believe this is one of them. John wrote his book, first, to prove that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and second, to pave the way for people to have life in His name (John 20:31). He holds very closely to these two themes, alternating between witnesses testifying about Christ, and teachings that reveal how to enter union with Christ.

And even within this passage about cleansing the temple there are clues that Jesus had a deeper meaning in mind. The Jews challenged Him for a sign to show His authority to do these things, and He replied, "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up." However, John records, "But He was speaking of the temple of His body" (John 2:19, 21). Thus, Jesus is the Father's house. And there are places for us to dwell in Him as well (John 15:4). And unless Jesus cleanses us, we have no part with Him (John 13:8).

Arthur Brain

This includes:

You think that Jesus called people "dogs"? You think that's what Jesus was calling the Canaanite Woman?

Well, wow, did she have a "dogged" response then...

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+15:21-28&version=NIV

Jesus wasn't calling her a "dog" at all.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You think that Jesus called people "dogs"? You think that's what Jesus was calling the Canaanite Woman?

Well, wow, did she have a "dogged" response then...

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+15:21-28&version=NIV

Jesus wasn't calling her a "dog" at all.

Are you actually denying what Jesus said? That's exactly what Jesus called her.

He used the diminuitive form of the word for dog, so more like "doggette", (translated as "little dogs") but he still called her (and the gentiles as a whole) a dog, and he contrasted them being dogs with Israel being the children.

But He answered and said, [JESUS]“It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”[/JESUS]And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.” - Matthew 15:26-27 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew15:26-27&version=NKJV

98ea98fcbcf174154093d42e8d7de306.jpg

Strong's g2952

- Lexical: κυνάριον
- Transliteration: kunarion
- Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
- Phonetic Spelling: koo-nar'-ee-on
- Definition: a little dog, a house dog.
- Origin: Neuter of a presumed derivative of kuon; a puppy.
- Usage: dog.
- Translated as (count): dogs (4).

She was asking for food from the Master's table, miracles meant only for the children of Israel.

Arthur Brain

Are you actually denying what Jesus said? That's exactly what Jesus called her.

He used the diminuitive form of the word for dog, so more like "doggette", (translated as "little dogs") but he still called her (and the gentiles as a whole) a dog, and he contrasted them being dogs with Israel being the children.

But He answered and said, [JESUS]“It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”[/JESUS]And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.” - Matthew 15:26-27 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew15:26-27&version=NKJV

98ea98fcbcf174154093d42e8d7de306.jpg

Strong's g2952

- Lexical: κυνάριον
- Transliteration: kunarion
- Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
- Phonetic Spelling: koo-nar'-ee-on
- Definition: a little dog, a house dog.
- Origin: Neuter of a presumed derivative of kuon; a puppy.
- Usage: dog.
- Translated as (count): dogs (4).

She was asking for food from the Master's table, miracles meant only for the children of Israel.

So, you think Jesus called her a derogatory name and then went on to do her the biggest favour she could (and did) ask for? If anything, Jesus showed that prejudices based on race or creed didn't really fly, the parable of the good Samaritan being an obvious example.