Alcoholism, a gentle nudge

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I just want to address the issue of alcoholism. A particular aspect about it. Or, rather, not about it. I do not have a lot to offer. To my knowledge I have never had anything with alcohol in it. Now to the reason for this post.

It seems that one here says it is not a sin to be an alcoholic, only to drink in excess I guess. But why would a person who no longer sins want the label of sinner? In other words, if a label is not the sin itself, what is the reason for the label? Wouldn't it be better to be called a former alcoholic, or to have it said that you used to be an alcoholic?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
This does not belong in the politics section

Why not? It is not a matter of Religion. What forum would you place it in? The thread that inspired it was in the Politics Forum. What about government? If it is only a matter of alcoholism. It was an excuse for homosexuality or retaining the label of homosexual without committing a homosexual act or sin. But the Bible says that such were some of you. It does not say to retain the label even when you don't sin. It says to become a Christian basically.

Thank you.

Jacob

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The highlighted section in your post, and the following excerpt from your OP, are the reasons why this thread should not be in the "Politics" section.

Why not? It is not a matter of Religion. What forum would you place it in? The thread that inspired it was in the Politics Forum. What about government? If it is only a matter of alcoholism. It was an excuse for homosexuality or retaining the label of homosexual without committing a homosexual act or sin. But the Bible says that such were some of you. It does not say to retain the label even when you don't sin. It says to become a Christian basically.

Thank you.

Jacob

It seems that one here says it is not a sin to be an alcoholic, only to drink in excess I guess. But why would a person who no longer sins want the label of sinner? In other words, if a label is not the sin itself, what is the reason for the label? Wouldn't it be better to be called a former alcoholic, or to have it said that you used to be an alcoholic?

The fact that you are talking about "sin" rather than "crime" puts it squarely in the "Religion" category.

The thread will be moved there.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The highlighted section in your post, and the following excerpt from your OP, are the reasons why this thread should not be in the "Politics" section.

The fact that you are talking about "sin" rather than "crime" puts it squarely in the "Religion" category.

The thread will be moved there.

Okay. You know best. But is sin crime? Or is it that just crime is sin?

The government should not be limited to only some sins in what they should or can prosecute. Have they limited themselves and are you following that? Alcoholism is a crime. It also has to do with the label of homosexuality which is both a sin issue and a Politics topic in the Politics Forum list beyond just government.

When I think about alcoholism I think about people who drink and get drunk. It is a crime to do so. Maybe you have already moved the thread now.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just want to address the issue of alcoholism. A particular aspect about it. Or, rather, not about it. I do not have a lot to offer. To my knowledge I have never had anything with alcohol in it. Now to the reason for this post.

How about using the term recovered alcoholic? Insofar as whether or not alcohol is a sin, I would say *abusing* alcohol is sinful when your actions harms others. Harming others can include hurting yourself.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
How about using the term recovered alcoholic? Insofar as whether or not alcohol is a sin, I would say *abusing* alcohol is sinful when your actions harms others. Harming others can include hurting yourself.

It depends on what a person means by recovering alcoholic. Recovered implies they were recovering when they started not drinking any longer. Or not drinking in excess or not inebriated any longer. The first person is you and if you have sinned in drinking. The next is those whom you have affected.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It depends on what a person means by recovering alcoholic. Recovered implies they were recovering when they started not drinking any longer. Or not drinking in excess or not inebriated any longer. The first person is you and if you have sinned in drinking. The next is those whom you have affected.

My view of alcoholism is ... once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. That doesn’t mean one can’t or won’t stop drinking but rather that they are always susceptible to fall off the wagon.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
My view of alcoholism is ... once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. That doesn’t mean one can’t or won’t stop drinking but rather that they are always susceptible to fall off the wagon.

It does not allow for the recovery when a person can say that they used to be an alcoholic. Some people can do this.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It does not allow for the recovery when a person can say that they used to be an alcoholic. Some people can do this.

More than likely what they mean is “I am in recovery and no longer drink”.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
More than likely what they mean is “I am in recovery and no longer drink”.

That may be a meaning, but the word choice is not the best due to the grammar of how verbs work. Used to.

Last edited:

quip

BANNED
Banned
Can you rephrase so that I can understand what you mean?

'Sin' and 'alcoholism' are just concepts. Words which people bandy about for a variety of motives and reasons. Don't be over concerned about pinning them down else....people around here will proudly pin them down for you!

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
'Sin' and 'alcoholism' are just concepts. Words which people bandy about for a variety of motives and reasons. Don't be over concerned about pinning them down else....people around here will proudly pin them down for you!

Interesting. Just concepts, eh? Well, alcoholism is not something that I have to worry about personally. I don't drink alcohol. But sin? Well, if I obey that is not sin. Better to obey than to sin. Sin is lawlessness or transgression of the Law.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Interesting. Just concepts, eh? Well, alcoholism is not something that I have to worry about personally. I don't drink alcohol.

Good, then begin worrying about its social effects. And you can start that by dispensing with the labels.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned

AA is the purest and best form of religion I’ve ever found. FWIW.