No announcement yet.

Is believing/faith a work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know that from a child: I knew Scripture to be Truth. I know that no one ever told me that. No one in my family believed in God, for the most part. I was told, "You'd better not," by my mom when I told her that I was going to go forward at church the following Sunday and accept Christ. I believed long before I ever heard a sermon. I knew deep down inside that Scripture contained The Living Word of God. I have no explanation as to how or why; I just know. This isn't because I made any effort to believe or had to think about the decision for two seconds. I just knew. I still know. I know far more now, having a long-standing dynamic relationship with The Living God, Who lives inside me, but I still know. I'm not responsible for my faith or my beliefs. They're a gift from God. He put them in there. I'm very comfortable with them. I've doubted and asked every foolish question you might imagine, but I've seen my faith bring me back to belief in God and His Word every time. It's not my doing. I'd un-do it if it were up to me. He has kept me in the faith and will do so until the end.
    "That man of sin must first be revealed." -- Jesus

If you haven't tried: you've already failed. -- Aimiel

Comment

• Originally posted by Aimiel View Post
      I know that from a child: I knew Scripture to be Truth. I know that no one ever told me that. No one in my family believed in God, for the most part. I was told, "You'd better not," by my mom when I told her that I was going to go forward at church the following Sunday and accept Christ. I believed long before I ever heard a sermon. I knew deep down inside that Scripture contained The Living Word of God. I have no explanation as to how or why; I just know. This isn't because I made any effort to believe or had to think about the decision for two seconds. I just knew. I still know. I know far more now, having a long-standing dynamic relationship with The Living God, Who lives inside me, but I still know. I'm not responsible for my faith or my beliefs. They're a gift from God. He put them in there. I'm very comfortable with them. I've doubted and asked every foolish question you might imagine, but I've seen my faith bring me back to belief in God and His Word every time. It's not my doing. I'd un-do it if it were up to me. He has kept me in the faith and will do so until the end.
      This demonstrates beautifully exactly what I have been saying.
      Ecclesia reformata et semper reformanda secundum verbum Dei
      “The Church reformed and always reforming, according to the Word of God.”

Comment

I know that from a child: I knew Scripture to be Truth. I know that no one ever told me that. No one in my family believed in God, for the most part. I was told, "You'd better not," by my mom when I told her that I was going to go forward at church the following Sunday and accept Christ. I believed long before I ever heard a sermon. I knew deep down inside that Scripture contained The Living Word of God. I have no explanation as to how or why; I just know. This isn't because I made any effort to believe or had to think about the decision for two seconds. I just knew. I still know. I know far more now, having a long-standing dynamic relationship with The Living God, Who lives inside me, but I still know. I'm not responsible for my faith or my beliefs. They're a gift from God. He put them in there. I'm very comfortable with them. I've doubted and asked every foolish question you might imagine, but I've seen my faith bring me back to belief in God and His Word every time. It's not my doing. I'd un-do it if it were up to me. He has kept me in the faith and will do so until the end.
        Believing is a act of the mind/heart no matter how you try to spin it. And so its a work man does with his mind/heart.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
        "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
        preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
        called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
        a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

• Originally posted by beloved57 View Post
          Believing is a act of the mind/heart no matter how you try to spin it. And so its a work man does with his mind/heart.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
          I believe in my heart and confess with my mouth only because God put that belief in me. I'm nothing. His Faith inside of me does the work. I can do nothing good, except my Father gives me to do it.

Comment

I believe in my heart and confess with my mouth only because God put that belief in me. I'm nothing. His Faith inside of me does the work. I can do nothing good, except my Father gives me to do it.
            Its still a work, cant get around it. Believing in the heart and confessing with the mouth are works men do.

Look at Rom 10:9-10

9 that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

In vs 9 confess is a verb homologeō and believe is a verb pisteu, The same is true in Vs 10 of the same words. Its no way around they are works done by man, even if God gave the man or women the ability to do those works by His Grace !

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Sounds very pious. So does that mean people who never believe in their heart nor confess with their mouth like you did, does it mean God didnt put His faith in them to the work in them like He did for you ?

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Its still a work, cant get around it. Believing in the heart and confessing with the mouth are works men do.
                You're attempting to make The Bible into a lie. Scripture says that NO ONE has entered into Heaven on works. I believe Scripture. Yes, we have faith in God. Yes, believing is a work. That work being done in us by God is His Grace. We don't have the faith to believe. We don't have the courage to stand up and say, "I want to be saved." God does it for us, in us and through us. He is Sovereign. We can do NOTHING good, except God do it through us. That's a fact. There is NONE good. None seeks after God. Fact.

Comment

Sounds very pious. So does that mean people who never believe in their heart nor confess with their mouth like you did, does it mean God didnt put His faith in them to the work in them like He did for you ?
                  That's what Scripture says. The wicked were created for the day of destruction.

Comment

• amiel

You're attempting to make The Bible into a lie.
                    False accusation, Im stating a true fact. You are in denial

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

That's what Scripture says. The wicked were created for the day of destruction.
                      So you believe God doesnt Love everyone without exception nor Christ didnt die for everyone without exception ? Correct ?

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

So you believe God doesnt Love everyone without exception nor Christ didnt die for everyone without exception ? Correct ?
                        I didn't say or do I believe either of your premises; I do however believe in pre-destination. God knows the end from the beginning. There's NOTHING He doesn't know. Exhaustively.

Comment

• aimiel

Yes, believing is a work.
                          Thats my point, if a person says God saved them on the basis that they believed, a work of theirs, then they believe in salvation by their works, which nullifies Salvation by Grace !

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

False accusation, Im stating a true fact. You are in denial
                            You're attempting to make The Bible into a lie. Scripture says that NO ONE has entered into Heaven on works. I believe Scripture. Yes, we have faith in God. Yes, believing is a work. That work being done in us by God is His Grace. We don't have the faith to believe. We don't have the courage to stand up and say, "I want to be saved." God does it for us, in us and through us. He is Sovereign. We can do NOTHING good, except God do it through us. That's a fact. There is NONE good. None seeks after God. Fact.

Comment

The answer is absolutely yes. If we agree with the overall definition of work according to the greek word for work ergon:

See strongs # 2041:

1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied
                                1. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

3. an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

A work is anything done, accomplished by #1 hand, #2 art, #3 industry, #4 or MIND

The mind is :

(in a human or other conscious being) the element, part, substance, or process that reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges, etc.

Psychology. the totality of conscious and unconscious mental processes and activities.

So believing something via the mental activity and process of reasoning is work. The process of decision making is a activity, work of the mind.

Now for instance, the sin of hatred Gal 5:19-20

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

How is that sin committed ? It starts in the mind or heart ! Yet in Vs 19 its stated as an work of the flesh

So activity in and with the mind/heart is a work, this cannot be denied..

Now believing is either a work of the flesh [unregenerate] or of the Spirit [ regenerated]

But now Salvation is not by works, Neither by works of the flesh or works of the Spirit.

Salvation is not a work of the flesh as you may have pointed out.

Salvation is a completed work of God in Christ which we receive by doing Romans 10:9.

Does it take effort on our part to meet the prerequisites of Romans 10:9? Yes.

But did we earn our salvation?

No it is a gift bought and paid for by God in Christ.

Thus it is free to us if we are willing to hold out our mouth and heart to receive it.

Salvation is a gift which costs us nothing
                              "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

"Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind" Philippians 2:2

Pro scripture = Protestant

Comment

I didn't say or do I believe either of your premises; I do however believe in pre-destination. God knows the end from the beginning. There's NOTHING He doesn't know. Exhaustively.
                                Then it sounds like to me you are in contradiction and doublemindness

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Working...
                                X