Why people don't like discussing Religion & Politics

The reason is that people's minds tend to go out the window when talkign about either one.

The reason for that is that people get entrenched in their own ideas and philosophies and refuse to even listen to anyone who sees things differently.

i myself have come to see that, while i am a dyed in the wool R, the Ds DO have some valid ideas--

not many, that's true..

On the other hand, D's don't seem to want to listen to the Rs either

I am pro life and i hate the D's position on that topic. But there are other issues i agree w/ them on. Rs sometimes act like they have ditched the heart for the head-ONLY.

What? are we robots? or should we at least aspire to being virtual robots? You'd think.. listening to some of them. For example, some Rs seem to think that there couldn't possibly ever be a time when a person would have to be (have no choice but to be)dependent on government. Oh, I (they say) would never be poor or down and out.. Oh? Well, to that i say.. How nice for you. But I know people who really DONT have many options. Not everyone was born with a rich family, and some are poor AND have families from hell.. and etc... etc. Yes, people abuse the system. But a lot of Rs act like everyone not working 40 hours or whatever is lazy, stupid, or whatever. |Then there are a couple other issues that maybe the Ds have a little more right than the Rs (although i can't think of any more at this time)

So anyway, i think if people cannot discuss their differences without wanting to slap someone, something is not right. They are a little too rigid in their thinking, their philosophy, e tc., right?

which is not to say you should just throw all caution to the wind and discuss religion/politics with just anyone.. nope, not a good idea..

It's amazing how the mind snaps shut when it comes to discussing these topics with people who do not agree w/ us! And of course, we hardly ever find someone who agrees w/ us on absolutely everything. So we have these problesm.. I say getting along is better than getting all snarky b/c someone who disagrees. You can agree to disagree (w/o hating people)

:shocked:

PureX

I have noticed that what really snaps people's minds shut is any hint that they may be wrong about anything.

:)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am pro life and i hate the D's position on that topic. But there are other issues i agree w/ them on. Rs sometimes act like they have ditched the heart for the head-ONLY.

What? are we robots? or should we at least aspire to being virtual robots? You'd think.. listening to some of them. For example, some Rs seem to think that there couldn't possibly ever be a time when a person would have to be (have no choice but to be)dependent on government. Oh, I (they say) would never be poor or down and out.. Oh? Well, to that i say.. How nice for you. But I know people who really DONT have many options. Not everyone was born with a rich family, and some are poor AND have families from hell.. and etc... etc. Yes, people abuse the system. But a lot of Rs act like everyone not working 40 hours or whatever is lazy, stupid, or whatever. |Then there are a couple other issues that maybe the Ds have a little more right than the Rs (although i can't think of any more at this time)

:thumb:

exminister

You cannot learn anything if you don't listen.

The fact that the country has become so polarized will be its' downfall. It is not outsiders that destroy great nations it's those inside. Compromise has become a dirty word. However, If we don't hang together we will hang separately.

Republicans love Reagan but they certainly would not tolerate him today because he did work with the other party and compromise. He knew it wasn't just like minded people he represented.

Shouldn't the government represent its citizens, ALL of its citizens? If it does then compromise is the logical outcome. We are a diverse nation and its only get more that way as we move forward.

Democrats were right on Civil Rights. And that is the reason they lost the south causing a shift in who supported them and who supported Republicans. Rubio loves to say the Republicans are the party of Lincoln and Reagan. That has become somewhat meaningless now in practice.

You cannot learn anything if you don't listen.

The fact that the country has become so polarized will be its' downfall. It is not outsiders that destroy great nations it's those inside. Compromise has become a dirty word. However, If we don't hang together we will hang separately.

Republicans love Reagan but they certainly would not tolerate him today because he did work with the other party and compromise. He knew it wasn't just like minded people he represented.

Shouldn't the government represent its citizens, ALL of its citizens? If it does then compromise is the logical outcome. We are a diverse nation and its only get more that way as we move forward.

Democrats were right on Civil Rights. And that is the reason they lost the south causing a shift in who supported them and who supported Republicans. Rubio loves to say the Republicans are the party of Lincoln and Reagan. That has become somewhat meaningless now in practice.

i dont quite get the last part of this post?

hmmm

PureX

What is especially worrisome is this attitude that "if we don't get our way, we'll impede and even destroy the government and harm the whole nation in the process, until we do!". This has basically been the republican party's strategy since Obama took office. They refuse to pass even legislation that is needed for the operation of the nation, even when they are in keeping with their own ideals, simply because Obama might get credit for it. Now they refuse to carry our their responsibilities as elected officials because they don't want Obama to appoint a replacement for the supreme court. So once again they refuse to act on behalf of the nation they are supposed to be serving, even to the point of breaking the law, because they want to have everything their own way.

Bradley D

I have not seen a lot come out of congress in the past years. I am against abortion on demand. I believe a person should be responsible for their actions. So I have voted Republican for many years. Although I consider myself in the middle/leaning towards the right. I have not voted Democratic since I last voted for Pres. Carter during his 2nd term. I use to consider the Democratic Party as the working man's party. However, now I believe it has been kidnapped by the left. However, even with a Rep. majority in the congress I have not seen any change towards the abortion issue. The only thing I have seen is the group that took visual clips of abortion clinic workers who describe the awful dismembering of the aborted babies for their organs. Now the courts are going after them who exposed the awful practice. I do not have high hopes for the coming year for our government.

It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled - Mark Twain

yeh, for sure. There is one liberal-in-Republican-clothing candidate who is fooling many. But then, he is probably just getting the votes of the uneducated who follow entertainment media only (or mostly), which is why he has that "ceiling" they all talk about

I have not seen a lot come out of congress in the past years. I am against abortion on demand. I believe a person should be responsible for their actions. So I have voted Republican for many years. Although I consider myself in the middle/leaning towards the right. I have not voted Democratic since I last voted for Pres. Carter during his 2nd term. I use to consider the Democratic Party as the working man's party. However, now I believe it has been kidnapped by the left. However, even with a Rep. majority in the congress I have not seen any change towards the abortion issue. The only thing I have seen is the group that took visual clips of abortion clinic workers who describe the awful dismembering of the aborted babies for their organs. Now the courts are going after them who exposed the awful practice. I do not have high hopes for the coming year for our government.

Why? Cruz has actually done things in Congress. He was limited by the other so-called Rs and of course, Harry Reid and the liberals. But he stood up to Congress, stood up to those in his own supposedly conservative party. He is the only one we can trust to do what he says, to do what conservative voters want. He is the only one who has never left doubt as to whether he is totally and truly pro life. The others dance around the issue so they can get as many votes as possible (the pro death vote) in the general election. But Cruz does not pretend to be soemthign other than his core principles dictate just to get votes. As Limbaugh says, he is the only real conservative running

:( :)

What is especially worrisome is this attitude that "if we don't get our way, we'll impede and even destroy the government and harm the whole nation in the process, until we do!". This has basically been the republican party's strategy since Obama took office. They refuse to pass even legislation that is needed for the operation of the nation, even when they are in keeping with their own ideals, simply because Obama might get credit for it. Now they refuse to carry our their responsibilities as elected officials because they don't want Obama to appoint a replacement for the supreme court. So once again they refuse to act on behalf of the nation they are supposed to be serving, even to the point of breaking the law, because they want to have everything their own way.

you believe a lot of un-true things. No one has ever advocated shutting down the govt when it comes to vital services. you come across as dishonest