"The Intent of Lent" by Win Johnson

musterion

From a very old Gospel tract that I forgot I had...

Many sincere people, Protestants and Roman Catholics alike, are conscientiously engaged in "keeping Lent." The observance of this forty-day period prior to Easter Sunday is generally marked by various kinds of self-denial. By "giving up" a habit of favorite indulgence, some hope to earn favor with God while others actually expect to secure forgiveness of sins by their self-styled sacrifices.

The celebration of Lent dates back to the early part of the 4th century and is based solely on church history and the traditions of men. Designating this period as "holy days" finds no support in the Word of God.

Under the Old Testament economy, God's chosen people, Israel, were commanded to celebrate certain feast days. Strict observance of these days was required as an indispensable factor in their salvation.
However, we are told in Col 2:17 that these celebrations were only "shadows of things to come." These shadows gave way to reality "when the fullness of time was come" and "God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law" (Gal 4:4-5).

The Lord Jesus Christ, by His death, burial and resurrection, dispelled the shadows and now "we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of His grace" (Eph 1:7). The sinless Son of God was "made sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Cor 5:21).

The intent of Lent is but another endeavor on the part of sinful man to establish his own righteousness. All such efforts are in vain, "for by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast" (Eph 2:89).

-- Win Johnson

Bradley D

I remember growing up in the 50's/60's my Mother would have us give up sweets/deserts for Lent. I believe the true intent Lent was to focus on the trials that Jesus went through during His time here on earth. I never saw it as a time to pat myself on the back.

brewmama

Many sincere people, Protestants and Roman Catholics alike, are conscientiously engaged in "keeping Lent." The observance of this forty-day period prior to Easter Sunday is generally marked by various kinds of self-denial. By "giving up" a habit of favorite indulgence, some hope to earn favor with God while others actually expect to secure forgiveness of sins by their self-styled sacrifices.The intent of Lent is but another endeavor on the part of sinful man to establish his own righteousness.

I call that total misunderstanding and lies.

Last edited:

brewmama

I remember growing up in the 50's/60's my Mother would have us give up sweets/deserts for Lent. I believe the true intent Lent was to focus on the trials that Jesus went through during His time here on earth. I never saw it as a time to pat myself on the back.

Of course not. No one does that. This intense criticism of Lent is mystifying.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Sorry. Is that better?
Is the top part yours, or a quote from the OP? I just want it clear that I called out just one sentence, and called that one sentence a straw man.

And if the top part is yours, I'm certainly not calling what you wrote a straw man. :)

brewmama

Is the top part yours, or a quote from the OP? I just want it clear that I called out just one sentence, and called that one sentence a straw man.

And if the top part is yours, I'm certainly not calling what you wrote a straw man. :)

It was from the OP. I'll just take you out.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned

And by the time I posted this, you had fixed it completely, thus making me look even worse than I already look for calling you out. Thank you very much. :) 'Looks good. ;)

Selaphiel

Irenaeus of Lyon, Justin Martyr, Origen of Alexandria, Clement of Alexandria, Gregory of Nyssa, Gregory of Nazianzus, Basil of Caesera, John Chrysostom, Cyril of Alexandria, Maximus the confessor, Augustine of Hippo, Gregory the great, Anselm of Canterbury, Thomas Aquinas, John Duns Scottus, William of Ockham, Martin Luther, John Calvin, Philip Melanchton, Win Johnson, Friedrich Schleiermacher, Karl Barth, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Jürgen Moltmann, Wolfhart Pannenberg,

Not that all of these agree with each other, far from it. But what they have in common is that they seriously engaged with what came before them.

The observance of this forty-day period prior to Easter Sunday is generally marked by various kinds of self-denial. By "giving up" a habit of favorite indulgence, some hope to earn favor with God while others actually expect to secure forgiveness of sins by their self-styled sacrifices.

Because some think that is what it is, therefore that must mean that is what those churches actually teach?

The intent of Lent is but another endeavor on the part of sinful man to establish his own righteousness. All such efforts are in vain, "for by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast"

Because observing lent is necessarily about establishing ones righteousness or earning the love of God? It is about seeing that salvation and Gods work more clearly so that you may be a better servant to your neighbor.

Another example of the wild theological shallowness of MAD, and "me and my Bible Christianity" in general.

Simplistic equivocations of the Pauline, and Christian in general, understanding of law and what he actually thought was the problem with it. Not needing the law has nothing to do with not needing to do good. It is about the letter of the law being inadequate to achieve true goodness, because even the law can fall under the power of sin and be used for evil (the cross being the primary Christian example). Secondly, the laws of Jewish particularity are abolished due to the covenental sign of Christians are faith in Christ, not the ceremonial law of circumcision or the dietary laws. It is about circumcision of the heart by the Spirit. The fruits of the Spirit and the actions they imply for your relationship to others, not dictated by particular laws, are to be fought for. That is what lent is about.

bybee

Irenaeus of Lyon, Justin Martyr, Origen of Alexandria, Clement of Alexandria, Gregory of Nyssa, Gregory of Nazianzus, Basil of Caesera, John Chrysostom, Cyril of Alexandria, Maximus the confessor, Augustine of Hippo, Gregory the great, Anselm of Canterbury, Thomas Aquinas, John Duns Scottus, William of Ockham, Martin Luther, John Calvin, Philip Melanchton, Win Johnson, Friedrich Schleiermacher, Karl Barth, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Jürgen Moltmann, Wolfhart Pannenberg,

Not that all of these agree with each other, far from it. But what they have in common is that they seriously engaged with what came before them.

Because some think that is what it is, therefore that must mean that is what those churches actually teach?

Because observing lent is necessarily about establishing ones righteousness or earning the love of God? It is about seeing that salvation and Gods work more clearly so that you may be a better servant to your neighbor.

Another example of the wild theological shallowness of MAD, and "me and my Bible Christianity" in general.

Simplistic equivocations of the Pauline, and Christian in general, understanding of law and what he actually thought was the problem with it. Not needing the law has nothing to do with not needing to do good. It is about the letter of the law being inadequate to achieve true goodness, because even the law can fall under the power of sin and be used for evil (the cross being the primary Christian example). Secondly, the laws of Jewish particularity are abolished due to the covenental sign of Christians are faith in Christ, not the ceremonial law of circumcision or the dietary laws. It is about circumcision of the heart by the Spirit. The fruits of the Spirit and the actions they imply for your relationship to others, not dictated by particular laws, are to be fought for. That is what lent is about.

Good post, as usual! I do not think for one moment that I have the definitive answer to anything! Except God's love and saving grace are mine. I used to loved reading different theologians ideas and cogitating on similarities and difference. Now, not so much. While I regular engage in Bible study, My old brain now is content with the faith and practice which have become
my comfort.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I have always had a problem with lent
it being too negative
this is also true with the church
we need to work on being positive
yes
I said work
forgiving is positive
loving your neighbor is positive
a positive rep is positive

musterion

I would also remind you all that while protestants seem to voluntarily observe Lent for typically vacuous reasons, it's not quite as voluntary or as simple for Catholics.

The traditional practices of Lent—fasting, prayer, reception of the sacraments, and almsgiving—are still encouraged by the Church. Fasting is even mandated on certain days.
http://www.catholic.com/quickquesti...sought-or-does-it-mean-just-accepting-difficu

Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fast. The law of fast binds those who are from 18 to 59 years old, unless they are excused for a sufficient reason (e.g., a medical condition that requires more frequent food, etc.).

Q: What is a day of fast and abstinence?
A: Under current canon law in the Western Rite of the Church, a day of fast is one on which Catholics who are eighteen to sixty years old are required to keep a limited fast.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/LENT.htm

Lent ends when the evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday begins, because the Mass of the Lord’s Supper ushers in the Holy Triduum, a liturgical season in its own right and the shortest of the liturgical year. As for the Lenten penances, those are voluntary practices that people take up as personal devotions in addition to the penances required by the Church on the Fridays of Lent. As voluntary penances can be voluntarily set aside, taking a break from them on Sundays in honor of the Lord’s Day is perfectly fine. That said, the Sundays of Lent are indeed part of the Lenten season.
http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/when-does-lent-really-end

All of which makes this -- which seems to be what many believe -- a lie:

DON'T: Feel obligated

Lent is a voluntary celebration. Just because those around you are celebrating it, you are not obliged to do so, and it is not a sin if you choose not to celebrate it. In the same way, if you lapse in your fasting, don't get angry with yourself over it. Because Lent is voluntary, it has the potential to deepen your devotion to God all the more.
http://www.answers.com/article/205714/christian-seasons-what-is-lent