What are the most important teachings of Jesus?

chair

I am not asking what are the most important teachings about Jesus. Rather, what are the most important things that he himself taught.

whitestone

,lol,,That might not divide up very easy. I suppose you could say though he taught about Israel it's self when he said that Jerusalem would be trodden down until the times of the Gentiles be full. Luke 21:24 KJV ... Paul also adds understanding to this in Romans 11:25 KJV explaining that blindness in part would continue until the same time.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Rather, what are the most important things that he himself taught.

Jesus said, "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment.

"And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'

On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 22:37-40 NKJV)

whitestone

Again I suppose that in Luke 19:38 KJV when they sang Psalms 118 KJV they called him "KING" the Pharisees took offense to it and wanted him to rebuke his disciples Luke 19:39 KJV

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Jesus said, "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment.

On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 22:37-40 NKJV)

amen

KingdomRose

I am not asking what are the most important teachings about Jesus. Rather, what are the most important things that he himself taught.

A Pharisee asked Jesus: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied, "'You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and...whole soul...and your whole mind.' This is the greatest and first commandment. The second, like it, is this: 'You must love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets." (Matt.22:36-40)

Along with loving the Father, Jehovah, who is God.....Jesus emphasized his Father's Kingdom, which he said he was sent forth to preach about. (Matt. 6:9,10; Luke 4:43)

The Kingdom is a real government that Jesus himself is the King of. It is the theme of his teaching, and is mentioned by him more often than anything else. (See Isaiah 9:6,7; Daniel 2:44; Luke 1:32,33) He commissioned all of his disciples to preach about the Kingdom throughout the whole world. (Matt.24:14)

brewmama

Perfect.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

That to enter into life, keep the commandments. He said the Pharisee and scribes sit in the seat of Moses, therefore whatever they say to do and observe, do and observe. Most importantly he said if you know him, you know the Father.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A Pharisee asked Jesus: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied, "'You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and...whole soul...and your whole mind.' This is the greatest and first commandment. The second, like it, is this: 'You must love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets." (Matt.22:36-40)

Along with loving the Father, Jehovah, who is God.....Jesus emphasized his Father's Kingdom, which he said he was sent forth to preach about. (Matt. 6:9,10; Luke 4:43)

The Kingdom is a real government that Jesus himself is the King of. It is the theme of his teaching, and is mentioned by him more often than anything else. (See Isaiah 9:6,7; Daniel 2:44; Luke 1:32,33) He commissioned all of his disciples to preach about the Kingdom throughout the whole world. (Matt.24:14)

Yes, he taught the law.

elohiym

Luke 10:25-37

And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

chair

I've starting reading a book about Jesus, The Sage from Galilee: Rediscovering Jesus' Genius , By David Flusser, a historian. (Not an easy read, by the way).

He thinks that Jesus's innovation was to take the Biblical "love thy neighbor" to an extreme- to love your enemy. Most people who responded to this thread are thinking in the same general direction, about loving your neighbor. There were a couple who thought otherwise, and judging from how some behave on this forum, there are plenty more who don't see that aspect of his teachings as being very important.

I recall one of the meanings of "Christian": commendably decent or generous <has a very Christian concern for others>

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
He thinks that Jesus's innovation was to take the Biblical "love thy neighbor" to an extreme- to love your enemy.

Yes, Jesus was sent not to condemn the world but to save the world. We should work with him to accomplish that as much as we can for each person with whom we interact.

The love Jesus referred to was spiritual love such as he has.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I've starting reading a book about Jesus, The Sage from Galilee: Rediscovering Jesus' Genius , By David Flusser, a historian. (Not an easy read, by the way).

He thinks that Jesus's innovation was to take the Biblical "love thy neighbor" to an extreme- to love your enemy. Most people who responded to this thread are thinking in the same general direction, about loving your neighbor. There were a couple who thought otherwise, and judging from how some behave on this forum, there are plenty more who don't see that aspect of his teachings as being very important.

I recall one of the meanings of "Christian": commendably decent or generous <has a very Christian concern for others>
Is it true that the Law preaches love of your enemy? You have said that what Jesus taught did, and you are right about that.

WeberHome

I am not asking what are the most important teachings about Jesus.
Rather, what are the most important things that he himself taught.

I would say that Christ's most important teachings that he himself taught
were those that contained personal guarantees. Here's what I mean.

†. Gen 15:4-5 . .The word of The Lord came to him in reply: That one shall
not be your heir; none but your very own issue shall be your heir. He took
him outside and said: Look toward heaven and count the stars, if you are
able to count them. And He added: So shall your offspring be.

On a good clear night, it's possible to see roughly 6,000 stars with the naked
eye; but don't bother to try and count them because you will certainly lose
track before you're done; especially if the Milky Way is overhead.

But anyway; Gen 15:4-5 led up to a very significant event.

†. Gen 15:6 . . And he believed in Yhvh; and He counted it to him for
righteousness.

That is the very first time anything "righteous" was said about Abram in
Genesis; and it resulted not from piety, but rather, from belief.

The Hebrew word for "belief" is horribly ambiguous. 'Aman can mean,
among other things: (1) to build up or support, (2) to foster as a parent or
nurse, (3) figuratively to render (or be) firm or faithful, (4) to trust or
believe, (5) to be permanent or quiet, (6) to be morally true or certain, an
(7) to rely upon.

Any choice I make from that list would be entirely arbitrary; but my money
is upon trust and reliance because at that moment, Abram began seriously
pinning his hopes on God to do something about his childless situation.

The thing to note is that Abram's hope wasn't based upon wishful thinking.
No; he had a promise from God to justify his confidence.

According to the first chapter of Genesis; the cosmos-- all of its forms of life,
matter, and energy --is the result of intelligent design. Do people gain a
degree of righteousness when they believe that chapter is true? No; I mean,
even demons believe that chapter is true; and fat lot of good it does them
because there are no personal guarantees in that chapter; it's entirely
academic.

But how about this?

†. John 6:39-40 . . This is the will of Him who sent me: that I shall lose
none of all that He has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my
Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall
have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Whether people believe in that statement or not will have no effect upon its
outcome; viz: it is going to happen. However, their doubt will cost them a
degree of righteousness because John 3:39-40 isn't academic; no, it's a
personal guarantee.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

chair

I would say that Christ's most important teachings that he himself taught
were those that contained personal guarantees. Here's what I mean.

†. Gen 15:4-5 . .The word of The Lord came to him in reply: That one shall
not be your heir; none but your very own issue shall be your heir. He took...

I don't see how this can be considered the teachings of Jesus himself. It is a Christian interpretation of Genesis.