Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Why do you not study the words better before jumping to conclusions.

Most bibles interpret according to the preferred beliefs of the time.

How long is an age?

LA

The words support the traditional view in Hebrew, Greek, English. Words also have a semantical range of meaning depending on context. If a word means a limited age in one context, it does not mean it cannot mean an unlimited age in a context relating to heaven and hell.

The same argument is used about 'day' in relation to creationism vs theistic evolution, etc.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Greek agrees with the English and does not teach your view.

It does not, and you have only a few hints from me for you to guess from.

You want that because you want people to be alive when they are dead and to make the spirit which God breathed into Adam to include the soul and even the body.

You are just plain wrong because you believe the soul is eternal when God says men are dead, and after raising from the dead are judged if not in the book of life to be thrown into a lake of fire where nothing mortal can survive. They perish.

Your problem is that you have never worked it out and why should you know the truth when you lean on the interpretations of blind men like yourself.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The words support the traditional view in Hebrew, Greek, English. Words also have a semantical range of meaning depending on context. If a word means a limited age in one context, it does not mean it cannot mean an unlimited age in a context relating to heaven and hell.

The same argument is used about 'day' in relation to creationism vs theistic evolution, etc.

You use the idea of words having a semantical rage of meaning so you can replace the word dead with alive and the word perish with survive.

LA

godrulz

Hall of Fame
If you are so wrong on who God/Jesus is, we/you should not be wasting your/our breath on this debate.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you are so wrong on who God/Jesus is, we/you should not be wasting your/our breath on this debate.

Yes, you are just wasting your breath again--

Something you resort to when you can not justify changing the meanings of the clear words of the Bible to suit your spiritualist views of people being alive and conscious when they are dead.

Are you conscious when you are asleep?

Death of the grave is much more unconscious than that, and the second death even more so.

LA

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Yes, you are just wasting your breath again--

Something you resort to when you can not justify changing the meanings of the clear words of the Bible to suit your spiritualist views of people being alive and conscious when they are dead.

Are you conscious when you are asleep?

Death of the grave is much more unconscious than that, and the second death even more so.

LA

I am alive while I sleep. Sleep is used as a metaphor for death in Scripture since the body looks like it is sleeping when it is dead. Just as one is alive while they sleep, so one is alive while they are dead.

I Tim. 5:6

Eph. 2:1-10

Adam died the day he ate in one sense, yet he remained conscious/alive.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
law of compensation........

law of compensation........

Karma is an evil teaching. With your evil beliefs, those who are born with defects are being justly punished, or those with bad happenings in their lives deserve it, what a horrible belief you have chosen to follow.

I suggest first understanding what the principle of 'karma' is, from the ancient hindu perspective, as western minds have distorted conceptions of it. I use the term 'karma' to include the universal law of cause/effect, being the 'law of compensation'...the natural flow of consequence. 'Karma' means 'action',....with understanding that all 'actions' produce corresponding re-actions, and so on. The principle of karma ("what a man sows, that also shall he reap") is a universal law.

In any case,....the law of karma or 'action' is inherent in the realm of conditional existence, as long as any mental or physical action can be engaged, for such 'actions' naturally produce corresponding effects. This is a universal principle recognized by all sentient beings, and is wholly fair and just, ultimately tending towards the good, betterment and reformation of the 'actor', since one becomes responsible for his own 'sins' or 'mistakes' and likewise responsible for his own reformation, repentance and ultimate liberation or salvation....within the providence of love of course,...since God's grace undergirds all conditions and destinies.

These articles will help with understanding karma -

A right understanding of karma

The law of karma in Hinduism

Karma, what is it?

'Karma in Buddhism'
(complex)

Different expansions and perspectives on karma can be considered, but it remains that the law of karma is actually very just in that it acts according to perfect justice and also facilitates a corrective measure as the fulfillment of law. Each soul is responsible for those actions that are truly his own choices, even though there may be other affecting factors in certain situations or contexts within any given event. - but such are for another thread (this also ties in with the principle of reincarnation).

Your comment above is untenable, since you cannot disprove that some past actions (the persons or his parents) caused an unfortunate situation currently being suffered in the case of an infant born with defects. Neither is it sensible to suppose that all misfortunes in life are indicative that the sufferer DESERVES IT somehow (this is a childish understanding of the principle). Some 'causes' of misfortune may not been identifiable or seem as 'accidental'.....but beyond seeming 'accidents' all things unfold their potentials as conditions allow for such to express. All movements are connected, all creation, cause and effect flow relative to all other movements. Remember,...'karma' is the law of 'actions and their effects'.

From another angle:

Law of compensation (from the James E Padgett messages) - important considerations.

Originally Posted by God's Truth

what a horrible belief you have chosen to follow.

I recognize the principle of 'karma',...its not a 'belief' that is followed. What is horrible is a 'god' who condemns souls to an eternity of endless torture TO NO END.

pj

Last edited:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
pickles......

pickles......

Originally Posted by freelight

This is possible if squinching everything into a so called biblical dispensational format - however,....in the karmic playground...we are always reaping what we sow,...for the law of compensation(cause/effect, action/re-action) cannot be avoided unless there is no longer anything within the soul that can be 'conditioned' or 'affected'...or if the law of karma is wholly transcended by identifying with Spirit (love) itself, which is pure, untainted and unconditional in nature.

In any case,.....a soul that is wholly expunged or terminated, no longer exists, so it is no longer 'punished' since there is nothing left for the effect of karma to work upon, or some anterior 'god' to do any punishing. Its so infantile to assume a 'god' out there is keeping souls in a lake of fire somewhere or 'state of endless torture' - one would think these primitive beliefs died in the Dark Ages.

As formerly stated, one cannot prove souls are stuck somewhere for eternity in a state of torment (now or in any future state)....and we could also claim that nowhere is there proof that souls are totally annihilated from existence,.....as no empirical proof, beyond speculating or hypothesizing exists...to establish such - we hold our opinions or interpretations on the matter,....and that is just what they are....our own formed opinions. It is being honest to admit such.

What is wrong?

A soul is a life.

Who denied such? - also depends on how one defines 'soul' and in what context.

When men die they are without soul except in the eyes of God who remembers them.

Only if a soul can truly be disintegrated, rendered non-existent. Even with a soul snuffed out,....it would seem both 'God' and other personalities would remember that one. Its like assuming one has gone a long vacation...but they never come back. All that is left is a memory, or energy-impression.

There is punishment before annialation taught in the Bible, and that all wicked men will be raised from the dead to be judged and punished and then destroyed forever, never to exist again.

Thats one view.

It is not true that all men receive punishment for their sins in this life.

In the realm of cause/effect....compensation must be afforded, so yes....it may appear that some sins have no effects in a given lifetime, but what is sown must be reaped at some point in the space-time continuum (in the afterlife or another physical embodiment). See former article on 'karma'.

Your spiritualism is an opposite error to the ECT view but serving the same devil.

I'm a spiritualist for the most part philosophically, but also accept the possibility of 'soul-death' only in certain contexts,....otherwise...consciousness continues in many different forms or 'bodies' if you will. 'Bodies' are assumed, then discarded in the play of life as a natural course of nature (formation of elements).

As for your 'devil' character....prove he exists outside of your own mind ;)

pj

Krsto

Is God responsible for the Fall of man? Is the Noahic Flood unjust? Is the cross optional?

If you understood the moral government of God/Moral Governor, love, holiness, justice, mercy, free will, nature of the soul, Deity of Christ, sin, etc., you would not be arguing for an unbiblical view.

You don't get it. God is responsible for what happens after a man dies because he is the only one making that decision. How can you argue otherwise?

God's Truth

I suggest first understanding what the principle of 'karma' is, from the ancient hindu perspective, as western minds have distorted conceptions of it.
No, I know exactly what those from other countries believe about karma and reincarnation. You cannot defend your evil beliefs by just saying an untruth about others and me. I understand your evil teachings and western minds have not distorted concepts of it. I have even spoken to someone from another country about your evil beliefs.
I use the term 'karma' to include the universal law of cause/effect, being the 'law of compensation'...the natural flow of consequence. 'Karma' means 'action',....with understanding that all 'actions' produce corresponding re-actions, and so on. The principle of karma ("what a man sows, that also shall he reap") is a universal law.
I know what karma means, so move on.
In any case,....the law of karma or 'action' is inherent in the realm of conditional existence, as long as any mental or physical action can be engaged, for such 'actions' naturally produce corresponding effects. This is a universal principle recognized by all sentient beings, and is wholly fair and just, ultimately tending towards the good, betterment and reformation of the 'actor', since one becomes responsible for his own 'sins' or 'mistakes' and likewise responsible for his own reformation, repentance and ultimate liberation or salvation....within the providence of love of course,...since God's grace undergirds all conditions and destinies. Different expansions and perspectives on karma can be considered, but it remains that the law of karma is actually very just in that it acts according to perfect justice and also facilitates a corrective measure as the fulfillment of law. Each soul is responsible for those actions that are truly his own choices, even though there may be other affecting factors in certain situations or contexts within any given event. - but such are for another thread (this also ties in with the principle of reincarnation).
You have a manufactured belief, made up from your own mind and the minds of other men, put there from the devil, the devil who is the prince of the air. You cannot pick and chose what you want to believe about God and add things from your demonic religion.
God’s Word says not all get what they deserve. God’s Word says what the wicked deserve the righteous get and what the righteous deserve the wicked get.
Your comment above is untenable, since you cannot disprove that some past actions (the persons or his parents) caused an unfortunate situation currently being suffered in the case of an infant born with defects.
You prove how twisted you are with your evil beliefs. You went on and on stating that I do not understand, but then you stated exactly what I said your beliefs entail!

I recognize the principle of 'karma',...its not a 'belief' that is followed.
Karma is a belief that is followed.
What is horrible is a 'god' who condemns souls to an eternity of endless torture without relief.
If you think, it is so horrible to have an eternity of endless torture without relief---then why have you not repented of rejecting Jesus and following the teachings of demons?

Aimiel

You don't get it. God is responsible for what happens after a man dies because he is the only one making that decision. How can you argue otherwise?
How could you think that God is responsible for the sins which a man commits? He had the choice: to sin or not, and chose sin. God does not do injustice. Those in hell deserve their punishment, because of what they have done, not because God put them there. God does what is right, since He is Holy. He does no wrong.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
law of compensation continued......

law of compensation continued......

No, I know exactly what those from other countries believe about karma and reincarnation. You cannot defend your evil beliefs by just saying an untruth about others and me. I understand your evil teachings and western minds have not distorted concepts of it. I have even spoken to someone from another country about your evil beliefs.

Your whole attitude continues to reflect an ignorance (among other presumptions) of the subject typical among those of your 'opinion', plus I provided articles that articulate it, as well as sharing that there are various descriptions, aspects and explanations of 'karma' within the total spectrum of the principle as understood among both eastern and western schools of thought. Your spouting off that the principle if evil is ridiculous...since ample passages from the bible can be shared in support of it as well. "God(the source of law and origin of all principles) is not mocked,....what a man sows that also shall he reap".

I know what karma means, so move on.

I'd suggest more education and dropping certain pressumptions or limiting such to certain conclusions as you've done. I also highly recommend what Jesus and other apostles have shared on the 'law of compensation' here in the Padgett messages. We're discussing the 'principle', not just a 'belief'.

You have a manufactured belief, made up from your own mind and the minds of other men, put there from the devil, the devil who is the prince of the air. You cannot pick and chose what you want to believe about God and add things from your demonic religion.

Your puffed up religious egoity appears to have a fascination with 'demons' and the 'devil'. These have nothing to do with the law of compensation but are your religious opinions.

God’s Word says not all get what they deserve. God’s Word says what the wicked deserve the righteous get and what the righteous deserve the wicked get.

There is perfect justice in the Universe and all actions are 'compensated' so to speak, for such is the law of compensation. All actions have following re-actions, effects, consequences....even though they may not appear immediately. It appears you're speaking of Solomon who mulled over the mystery of the wicked prospering and the righteous suffering but you give no reference. His conclusion was that "All is vanity",...a rather bleak view. However, if the law of compensation is understood....all is not in vain....and it is this very principle that is truly just.

You prove how twisted you are with your evil beliefs. You went on and on stating that I do not understand, but then you stated exactly what I said your beliefs entail!

You're still not understand and misinterpreting. Re-read carefully and in context. You cannot disprove that in some cases a baby being born with defects may be the effect of some past actions....either from the parents or the baby itself. All suffering is not always self-inflicted since other factors and other people's sin may contribute to the suffering of others. I already pointed this out. However, that some suffering is self-imposed is obvious according to the law.

Karma is a belief that is followed.

Karma is a conceptual law or principle that is assumed or recognized. Such is the law of compensation. Remember 'karma' means 'action'. Every soul is responsible for its own choices and actions unless other factors negate such responsibility.

If you think, it is so horrible to have an eternity of endless torture without relief---

It is horrible, and even more horrible if a 'god' is the kingpin behind it. Such a 'god' is hardly worthy of worship. If there is a just law behind actions and their consequences....that is another matter, as it will operate within the greater providence or higher law of Love always, since nothing acts outside that providence.

~*~*~

ECT exposed.

~*~*~

Respecting the thread-subject, the law of compensation or any karmic principle is explored as it relates to 'duration of suffering or punishment'. Further dialogue on this specifically may be continued in another thread.

pj

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Is God responsible for someone murdering/raping someone? If a just Judge punishes someone, does that make them responsible for the consequences/crime?

If a teen drives drunk are the parent's responsible if they were not aware of it and could not stop it at the time?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
How could you think that God is responsible for the sins which a man commits? He had the choice: to sin or not, and chose sin. God does not do injustice. Those in hell deserve their punishment, because of what they have done, not because God put them there. God does what is right, since He is Holy. He does no wrong.

Hell was originally created for Satan/demons who had no provision of redemption because of the great light they sinned against. There is no need for people to go to hell, not be saved, etc. God has done everything He can.

If you want to negate love, relationship, free will, risk, etc., then we can get rid of hell, but at great cost (determinism, no creation, etc.).

They want their cake and eat it to. Most understand the heinous nature of sin and evil and need for justice in a responsible, reasonable moral government from a holy, loving Moral Governor.

The cross/gospel is the remedy, but God is not to blame when people reject it. Those who deny hell fail to understand the holiness and love of God and the sinfulness/condemnation of man. Cults, not Christianity, elevates man and denigrates God (minimize gap and solves by useless works vs foolishness of cross).

Side with Jesus/Bible, not Rob Bell.

freelight's Eastern nonsense is not worth wasting time on in light of biblical truth. His theology and god is wrong.

God's Truth

Your whole attitude continues to reflect an ignorance (among other presumptions) of the subject typical among those of your 'opinion', plus I provided articles that articulate it, as well as sharing that there are various descriptions, aspects and explanations of 'karma' within the total spectrum of the principle as understood among both eastern and western schools of thought. Your spouting off that the principle if evil is ridiculous...since ample passages from the bible can be shared in support of it as well.
You have a false opinion of me and I only care what God thinks of me.
"God(the source of law and origin of all principles) is not mocked,....what a man sows that also shall he reap".
You have no understanding of God. God is speaking of reaping eternal life or hell, God is not speaking of your evil karma beliefs.

I'd suggest more education and dropping certain pressumptions or limiting such to certain conclusions as you've done. I also highly recommend what Jesus and other apostles have shared on the 'law of compensation' here in the Padgett messages. We're discussing the 'principle', not just a 'belief'.
I am not going to go to other links to read your garbage.
Your puffed up religious egoity appears to have a fascination with 'demons' and the 'devil'. These have nothing to do with the law of compensation but are your religious opinions.
I speak what the Bible says.
There is perfect justice in the Universe and all actions are 'compensated' so to speak, for such is the law of compensation. All actions have following re-actions, effects, consequences....even though they may not appear immediately. It appears you're speaking of Solomon who mulled over the mystery of the wicked prospering and the righteous suffering but you give no reference. His conclusion was that "All is vanity",...a rather bleak view. However, if the law of compensation is understood....all is not in vain....and it is this very principle that is truly just.
You need to repent for following other gods, who are really demons.
You're still not understand and misinterpreting. Re-read carefully and in context. You cannot disprove that in some cases a baby being born with defects may be the effect of some past actions....either from the parents or the baby itself.
Don’t you listen? You have just disproven your own beliefs with that statement you thought you could use against me. With your twisted evil beliefs, you are the one who cannot prove a child born with a defect is being punished for a past life---yet that is what your belief says, for I have spoken to people with your beliefs. You have a hard time speaking the truth.
Respecting the thread-subject, the law of compensation or any karmic principle is explored as it relates to 'duration of suffering or punishment'. Further dialogue on this specifically may be continued in another thread.
You should not even be commenting on this thread, for you are not a Christian.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I am alive while I sleep. Sleep is used as a metaphor for death in Scripture since the body looks like it is sleeping when it is dead. Just as one is alive while they sleep, so one is alive while they are dead.

I Tim. 5:6

Eph. 2:1-10

Adam died the day he ate in one sense, yet he remained conscious/alive.

Rubbish.

Adam did not die until the thousand years were nearly up. (in that Day)

He also had fellowship with God after his reconciliation to God by God.

So what happened to Adam in his sinning is nowhere near the topic of ECT.

Just as one is alive while they sleep, so one is alive while they are dead.

Stupid.

You are not conscious when you are asleep nor when you are dead.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hell was originally created for Satan/demons who had no provision of redemption because of the great light they sinned against.

Hell was prepared for the devil and his angels.

The devil is not and was not ever an angel. He only disguises himself so and his messengers like servants of righteousness. 2 Cor.ch 11.

You need to think about that.

The angels are men/ messengers of Mat. ch 25. and of 2 Peter ch 2.
the sons of God of Gen.6

God did not make a mistake and then decide to throw man in there afterward.

Hell was always for wicked men.

You have not figured it out, but you like to think you have.

Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished.

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

LA