The KJVO myth: Phony as a Ford Corvette !

robycop3

The Origin of the Current KJVO myth
By robycop3

Ever wonder where KJVO-the false doctrine that the KJV is the only valid English Bible translation out there came from? Here's the skinny:

In 1930, a 7th Day Adventist official, Dr. Benjamin Wilkinson(1872-1968), published a book he named "Our Authorized Bible Vindicated" in response to a squabble within the SDA cult. This book is a collection of snippets in favor of the KJV of God's holy word, and is full of goofs, such as the "Psalm 12:6-7 thingie". Apparently, Wilkinson didn't bother to check 0ut the VERACITY of any of the info he gathered. And he copied PARTS of Dean John Burgon's writings, omitting anything that was critical of the Textus Receptus.

He obtained a Scottish copyright for this book, which he apparently allowed to lapse many years ago, as interest in his book was mostly limited to the SDA cult, and for only a short time.

There's no doubt that SDA is a pseudo/quasi-Christian cult, and that Dr. W was a full-fledged SDA official, teacher, and preacher, who often argued for the inerrancy of Ellen Gould White's writings, placing them on a par with Scripture. Several SDA buildings and libraries are named after him.

In 1955, someone called J. J. Ray of Eugene, OR discovered that book, and wrote his/her own book, "God Wrote Only One Bible". Ray copied much of Dr. W's book verbatim in GWOOB without acknowledging him whatsoever, copying many of the goofs in Dr. W's book. Whether Ray obtained Dr. W's permission to use his book, or simply plagiarized it is unknown, but at any rate, Ray used the power of modern media to publicize his/her book, thus starting the idea of KJVO among some of the general public.

Now, try Googling "J. J. Ray" in the Eugene, OR. area. The only one I've found whose lifetime fit the 1955 timeline was a used-car salesman, now deceased, who apparently never published any book. Ray's company, Eye-Opener Publishers, only published that one book. Apparently, "J. J. Ray" is a pseudonym. Now, why would any REAL MAN(or woman) OF GOD use a pseudonym? Apparently, "Ray" was concerned that Dr. W might speak out about his plagiarism.

Then, in 1970, Dr. D. O. Fuller, a Baptist pastor, published "Which Bible?"(3rd revision, 1972), a book which copied much from both Ray and Wilkinson, including many of the original goofs. Like W and Ray before him, he didn't bother to check out the VERACITY of the material he published. And, while he at least acknowledged W, he made absolutely NO mention of W's CULT AFFILIATION. It was this book which brought the public's attention, especially in Baptist circles, to the other two boox, and to KJVO in general. Soon, a whole genre was developed of KJVO boox, all of which drew a large portion of their material from those first three boox.

Now, while Ray's plagiarism and Fuller's deliberate omission of W's CULT AFFILIATION might've been legal, it was certainly DISHONEST, not something any devout Christian would do!

Now, I have not forgotten Dr. Peter S. Ruckman's 1964 works, "Manuscript Evidence" and "Bible Babel". These goof-filled worx was derived largely from Wilkinson's and Ray's books, repeating many of their booboos, such as the "Psalm 12:6-7 thingie". and copying an erroneous chart from Ray's book. Ruckman referred to the title of Ray's book as "God Only Wrote One Book", which hints at the inaccuracy of Ruckman's work. However, Ruckman's works was not among the "foundation stones" of the KJVO myth, as were Ray's and Fuller's boox, both derived from Wilkinson's book.

Virtually every current KJVO author, from Riplinger to Bynum to Melton to Grady to whomever, uses material from those first three boox in their own work, often re-worded, but still the same garbage in a different dumpster. About the only newer material in any of these boox is their criticism of newer Bible versions as they came out. We see a pattern of DISHONESTY in KJVO authorship, as many of its authors copy from each other without any acknowledgement, all of them drawing from a KNOWN CULT OFFICIAL'S book! HOW CAN ANY CHRISTIAN, SEEING ALL THIS DISHONESTY AND ATTEMPTS TO CONCEAL OR JUSTIFY IT, BELIEVE KJVO IS FROM GOD?

These facts are easily verified, either on the Internet or in most public libraries. Unlike KJVOs, we Freedom Readers deal in VERIFIABLE FACT, not fishing stories, opinion, and guesswork. All the boox I mentioned are available online legally, in public libraries, many religious bookstores, or are for sale at various web sites of many religious book stores.

Thus, you see why I, and many other Christians who try to serve God in all aspects of life, are so vehemently against the KJVO myth! It's Satanic in origin, definitely NOT FROM GOD!

I challenge any KJVO to show us any book written before 1930 that is largely about KJVO, and which can be traced to having started the current KJVO doctrine.

robycop3

The KJVO has the burden of proof for his doctrine, as he makes a positive assertions that the KJV is the only valid English Bible translation, and that it's perfect. The Freedom Reader denies the veracity of the KJVO claims, so the KJVO must prove his assertions correct to shift the burden of proof to the Freedom Reader.

The Freedom Reader's first defense is actually the ace of trumps - that the KJVO myth doesn't have one word of Scriptural support. We Christians don't believe any doctrine of faith/worship that doesn't come from Scripture, and KJVO certainly doesn't! Its MAN-MADE origin is well-known, & has been published on many sites. That fact alone effectively kills the KJVO myth's veracity.

The KJVO myth asserts that the KJV is the ONLY valid English Bible translation out there, and that it is perfect. We shall first prove the KJV is NOT perfect.
A glaring error in the KJV is "Easter" in Acts 12:4. First, EASTER DIDN'T EXIST when Luke wrote "Acts". Second, if it HAD then existed, neither Herod nor the Jews he was trying to please would've observed it, as they didn't believe Jesus had been resurrected. The TRUTH is, Herod was waiting for PASSOVER, then ongoing, to be finished. And passover, ACCORDING TO GOD HIMSELF, is seven days long. That's proven in Ezekiel 45:21, a direct quote of GOD HIMSELF: “In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month, you shall observe the Passover, a feast of seven days; unleavened bread shall be eaten."

Furthermore, John 18:28 supports this fact: "Then they led Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium, and it was early morning. But they themselves did not go into the [a]Praetorium, lest they should be defiled, but that they might EAT THE PASSOVER." Now, the paschal lambs had already been eaten the previous evening, so the 'passover' cited here could only be the special unleavened meals to be eaten all week. So, there's no question that passover was ongoing when Peter was busted.

Then, there's the KJV's 1 Tim. 6:10, "the love of money is THE root of ALL evil". While Koine Greek has an equivalent for the English "the", it does not have one for the English "a", so English must supply it for the sentence to make sense in English. But the Greek does NOT have that connecting word between "est(as) & "rhizo" (root).Therefore, "THE root" is incorrect. Also, the Greek "pas", rendered 'all' in this verse in the KJV generally means 'some of all kinds or sorts', so MODERN English Bibles render the passage as "the love of money is A root of ALL SORTS of evil", which reality fits perfectly.

Then, there's Exodus 20:13, "Thou shalt not KILL." The Hebrew 'ratsach', here rendered 'kill', generally refers to murder or wrongful killing. This KJV mistake has caused controversy & protests for many years, including "conscientious objectors" to military service, & protests at execution sites. Again, modern versions correctly render this verse as "You shall not MURDER."

And, there's NO MANUSCRIPT SUPPORT for the words "and shalt be" in Rev. 16:5.

And this is but a short list of the KJV's goofs & booboos.While it's an excellent translation, it's far-from-perfect!

robycop3

JAGG

`
And this is but a short list of the KJV's goofs & booboos.While it's an excellent translation, it's far-from-perfect!

The King James Version was commissioned in 1603 and published in 1611. That means the English used
is 409 years old. (2020 - 1611 = 409 years). The King James Version is therefore outdated English in
several verses.

Here is one example found in the following verses:

1 Sam.25:22 "pisseth against the wall"
1 Sam.25:34 (same)
1 Kings 14:10 (same)
1 Kings 16:11 (same)
1 Kings 21:21 (same)
2 Kings 9:8 (same)

The phrase "pisseth against the wall" is no longer acceptable language
and the word is generally considered vulgar and not used in polite company.

Bible Gateway has all those verses listed:.

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?qs_version=9&quicksearch=pisseth+against+the+wall

Note that:
1 Sam. 25:22 the King James Version's "he that pisseth against the wall" which designates a person
of the male gender, is translated as "one male of all who belong to him" in the NIV.

`

Bradley D

When comparing the KJV with the hebrew and greek it is quite accurate. It is the original language that needs to be compared with a translation.

JAGG

Just remember God does not bind us to the KJV or any
other one translation of His word.

Exactly! And that ship has already sailed. The cat is out of the bag. Never to be re-bagged.

What does that mean?

It means that Bible Gateway has 59 (at my last count) English translations of the Bible
online that are used by tens of millions regularly, maybe even hundreds of millions
worldwide.

Then there is Bible Hub with all their different English translations of the Bible.

The days of the King James Version ONLY people will soon be over.

Don't they now live mostly ONLY in threads --- and survive now mainly in threads
in forums on the Internet?

Just asking?

I don't keep up with the KJVO folks.

God bless them one and all. I love them. They are by brothers/sisters in the Lord.

They're just wrong about the KJV being the ONLY legitimate English translation of the Bible.

robycop3

Exactly! And that ship has already sailed. The cat is out of the bag. Never to be re-bagged.

What does that mean?

It means that Bible Gateway has 59 (at my last count) English translations of the Bible
online that are used by tens of millions regularly, maybe even hundreds of millions
worldwide.

Then there is Bible Hub with all their different English translations of the Bible.

The days of the King James Version ONLY people will soon be over.

Don't they now live mostly ONLY in threads --- and survive now mainly in threads
in forums on the Internet?

Just asking?

I don't keep up with the KJVO folks.

God bless them one and all. I love them. They are by brothers/sisters in the Lord.

They're just wrong about the KJV being the ONLY legitimate English translation of the Bible.

We see the current KJVO myth has a fairly-recent beginning. But the fact remains it's all man-made, with NO Scriptural support whatsoever, & is therefore false.

JAGG

`
We see the current KJVO myth has a fairly-recent beginning. But the fact remains
it's all man-made, with NO Scriptural support whatsoever, & is therefore false.
`

Agreed.

Human beings can make an argument for just about every absurd idea known to
human kind. Some argue that men have never gone to the moon. Then there is
the Argument For Bigfoot. Then cometh the Arguments For The Reality Of UFO's

The KJVO Argument is in that category, in my view..

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Actually, there is good evidence for UFOs, so I wouldn't want to draw a false analogy between that and KJVO, which as you correctly point out is merely an arbitrary, man-contrived doctrine.

This coming from a pothead who believes that aliens and angels are the same thing... And something else I forget....

JAGG

Actually, there is good evidence for UFOs,
so I wouldn't want to draw a false analogy between that and KJVO, which as you correctly point out is merely an arbitrary, man-contrived doctrine.

I believe in UFO's. Just yesterday my wife and I were out in the back yard when
an Unidentified Flying Object landed on our patio table as we were relaxing sipping
tea.

Good Lands! I exclaimed, what can that be?

My wife immediately recognized it as a UFO.

I noticed that it was about 6 inches long and about 3 inches wide.

It made a humming sound as it landed. The humming sound continued for about
3 minutes and then began to slowly die down.

We didn't know what to think about that, so we just sat there flabbergasted and
bewildered staring at the UFO.

Suddenly we saw the door in the side of the UFO open, and out stepped 3
little orange colored men about 2 inches tall.

One of them said Hello JAGG, how are you?

I'm doing just fine. I replied, and I hope you are doing well yourself.

Listen I said, is that a spaceship you all just landed on my patio table?

Yes it is, said one of the little orange men.

Then they introduced themselves.

The one who first spoke to me said he was the leader and that his name was
Qzxzzxzzxzqqqxq, but I could just called him Bob, because that would make things
much less complicated.

The other two introduced themselves as Henry and Tom.

Okay I said, and by the way, where are you all from?

We're from the Andromeda Galaxy some 2.5 million light years from Earth, said Bob.

Well I said, that's interesting Bob. What planet are you from?

Sorry, replied Bob, but we can't tell you that, its classified.

Okay Bob I said, can you tell me why you all have landed your spaceship on my patio table?

We were sent to Earth just to see you JAGG, said Henry.

Good lands! I replied, why me? Why would you travel all that distance just to see me?

We came to tell you that User Name is not really an Earthling.

What? I exclaimed, you mean he's not one of us?

That's right, said Henry. User Name is from another planet and he was sent here to Earth
to prepare you Earthlings for more and more friendly visits from we visitors from Outer Space.

Really? I exclaimed, You mean they're coming here to be our friends? To help us?

Yes indeed, replied Bob. There is a lot we know that can help you Earthlings, a whole lot.

Can you give me an example, I asked.

Sure I can, replied Bob. You JAGG are a Postmillennialist, and we can tell you that we know
for an absolute fact, that Postmillennialism is the absolute truth.

I always knew it was, I replied, but it makes my heart glad to hear it from you good folks out
there in the Andromeda Galaxy.

What else can you tell me that will cheer my heart, I asked.

We can tell you JAGG, that you are a solid gold human being, and we have great hopes for you.

Thank you very much I replied, and may the Force be with you.

Thanks JAGG, and may the Force be with you too, and the wifey as well.

My wife smiled at hearing that, and said, "Thanks guys, much appreciated."

Well, said Bob, we have to be getting back home. It was nice chatting with you JAGG,
and we'll be in touch.

Sounds good to me, you all take care now.

Goodbye JAGG.

So long fellows, I said.

Then Bob, and Tom, and Henry returned to their spaceship and took off into the
blue yonder.

The end.

:)