U.S. Christian Population in Freefall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northwye View Post
    "9/11 was the worst thing that could have happened for religion at large. Young adults grew up after the tragedy seeing radical religious fundamentalism for the hate mongering, violent, divisiveness it prides itself upon....and they're not having it. We're slowly growing out of its pathetic grasp (indoctrination) on society."

Remember though that "radical religious fundamentalism" is dispensationalism, and TOL is said to be run by dispensationalists.

In dispensationalism, though there are somewhat different varieties of the theology, the starting postulate of dispensationalism is the statement by Lewis S. Chafer that "Israel is an eternal nation, heir to an eternal land, with an eternal kingdom, on which David rules from an eternal throne so that in eternity, '...never the twain, Israel and church, shall meet." Lewis S. Chafer, Systematic Theology (Dallas, Dallas Seminary Press, 1975), Vol. 4. pp. 315-323..

Dispensationalism makes a separation between saved Jews and Saved Gentiles, which opposes the doctrine in the New Testament that there is a unity between saved Gentiles and saved Jews. This is a serious and important departure from New Testament doctrine.

See Ephesians 2: 11-22

In Galatians 3: 28, for example, Paul uses one verse to state the New Testament doctrine that saved Jews and saved Gentiles are united as one body of the elect. But in Ephesians 2, he uses verses 13 to 22 to spell out in more detail how saved Jews and saved Gentiles are united in one body.
    I'm not sure if you're challenging my point here or propping it up. Seems to me that what you're saying only adds to the religious dissonance/sectarianism...thus, supplying more fuel to the anti-religious pyre.
    _/\_

Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Brain View Post
      You're straight back on ignore and feel free to drive by as you will, sad though that actually is.
      Wise choice.
      TRUST
      is a fragile thing.

Easy to break, Easy to lose
      and one of the hardest things to
      ever get back.

Comment

artie to JR, about me:
        No, and once again with emphasis, specifically in regards to your "buddy" who you'll routinely give a high five to no matter what he says or trolls about as you did with his "response" to me here.
        wow

you really care about who "thanks" a particular post or poster?

what a pathetic immature loser

By his own admission he gets on better with Sherman when they have nothing to do with each other.
        yep, inzl and i never had much to do with each other

i can't imagine why that would matter to you

or what it says about your obsessiveness that you remember that I said it, years ago

I could tell you why
        it's a good bet you'd be wrong
        I've taken him off ignore for this response only
        still haven't figured out how ignore is supposed to work, eh?

so I'd ask you not to advertise him as an illustrious example of fundamentalism or anything else in future
        i believe JR is free to do whatever he wants, regardless of how it might offend your tender sensibilities

doser suggests a reason why artie has me on ignore:
        Originally posted by ok doser View Post
        "... because (artie) got frustrated by always being bested by (doser's) logic and reasoning when all (artie) could come up with was emotional arguments"

Nope, you've never bested anyone
        never?

not even once in the fifteen years I've been here?

for those of you paying attention, I just did it again
        unless it's as the poster who's been banned more than anyone else.
        nope, not even close

in the list of top infractions you come in 9th

I don't even appear in the top 20

Spoiler

Top Infractions

1 voltaire 10 242
        2 Squeaky 63 120
        3 Persephone66 33 110
        4 Shelli 9 99
        5 serpentdove 29 92
        6 CatholicCrusader 32 87
        7 Zeus 15 74
        8 Uberpod1 13 73
        9 Arthur Brain 14 72
        10 Stuu 59 70
        11 BillyBob 13 68
        12 krystyna 8 66
        13 Prakk 4 65
        14 Guyver 5 65
        15 aSeattleConserv 8 64
        16 Markseasigh 5 63
        17 1Mind1Spirit 11 62
        18 cgaviria 7 61
        19 Flaminggg 8 61
        20 Sum1sGruj 8 60

in fact, I don't appear in the top 200

artie is 9

and i did it again
        In that case you have a pretty much unassailable record along with usernames probably...
        that always bugged the heck out of you and rusha - never understood it, always put it down to random retardedness

yes, i probably have had the most usernames over the years - koban, some other dude, resurrected, resodko, ok doser and others

I just got bored of you doser,
        and yet here you are, reading what I wrote and pretending to take me off ignore to respond to me

and i did it again!

deleted rant, reported for violating special rules
        Tiresome at every turn. You're straight back on ignore and feel free to drive by as you will, sad though that actually is.

until next time then
        Last edited by ok doser; October 28th, 2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Berean View Post
          It seems odd...are there Christians who longer believe sin is sin? I get that the world at large is a dark wicked place where anything goes. But Christians should know better. Well, the one that actually read their Bible do.
          there are churches who no longer follow scriptural precepts regarding hot button social issues, like homosexuality, adultery, divorce, and abortion, to a lesser degree

they identify as "Christian", but I don't recognize them as such

Comment

JR to barbie:
            Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post
            ... It's why people like yourself and Arthur .. and more hate what fundamentalists like myself, ok doser, Stripe, Clete, Right Divider, etc, have to say about what the Bible says, because the Truth is inherently offensive.

it's pride, a rejection of God in favor of what they think should be truth

Comment

there are churches who no longer follow scriptural precepts regarding hot button social issues, like homosexuality, adultery, divorce, and abortion, to a lesser degree

they identify as "Christian", but I don't recognize them as such
              Yeah, why even bother to identify as "Christian" I wonder? I see this a lot with younger people. Often, though, it's simply that they do not read or study the Scriptures.
              Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
              . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Comment

Yeah, why even bother to identify as "Christian" I wonder?
                Taking God's name as their own to make it seem like they have authority on matters they know little to nothing about.

I see this a lot with younger people. Often, though, it's simply that they do not read or study the Scriptures.
                I'd say it's a majority of Christians (and "Christians" too), young, middle aged, and old who don't study.

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post
                  Taking God's name as their own to make it seem like they have authority on matters they know little to nothing about.

I'd say it's a majority of Christians (and "Christians" too), young, middle aged, and old who don't study.
                  one thing (maybe the only thing) that I miss from interacting with Squeaky was the odd Bible searches I'd often go on to refute his silly nonsense - often they'd lead to something totally unexpected, something I hadn't encountered or considered before

in a way, his rejection of God strengthened my relationship with God

Comment

one thing (maybe the only thing) that I miss from interacting with Squeaky was the odd Bible searches I'd often go on to refute his silly nonsense - often they'd lead to something totally unexpected, something I hadn't encountered or considered before

in a way, his rejection of God strengthened my relationship with God
                    So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. - Isaiah 55:11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...1&version=NKJV

Comment

Originally posted by Stripe View Post
                      First into this thread, talking about politics, no less: Barbarian.
                      Not only that, but he came right out and admitted that he, The Barbarian, is a political non-Christian:

Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post
                      You're right. For a spiritual Christian, it's not a big deal. For a political Christian, it's a huge deal.
                      Nobody is gonna buy it if he tries to lie, saying that he's not political. Everybody knows he's political. So, by his admission that he's not a political Christian (as he leaves no room for doubt that he despises political Christians), he is admitting that he is a political non-Christian.

He's had me on "ignore" for months.
                      All my ancestors are human.
                      PS: All your ancestors are human.
                      PPS: To all you cats, dogs, monkeys, and other assorted house pets whose masters are outsourcing the task of TOL post-writing to you (we know who you are )– you may disregard the PS.

Comment

Yeah, why even bother to identify as "Christian" I wonder?
                        Originally posted by 7djengo7 View Post
                        Pretending to be a Christian is, according to atheists, themselves, perfectly in accord with being an atheist. Here is an article written by a proud anti-Christian, titled The Advantages of Pretending to be a Christian. In the article, we see that, according to atheists, it is acceptable for atheists to lie, and pretend to be Christians, if it will help them achieve a desire they may have of, say, "fit[ing] in with the crowd".
                        PPS: To all you cats, dogs, monkeys, and other assorted house pets whose masters are outsourcing the task of TOL post-writing to you (we know who you are )– you may disregard the PS.

Comment

Christianity doesn't "deny evolution", nor is it demonized in education either. Your particular version of it may come in for criticism but there's a difference between fundamentalism and Christianity anyway, certainly the more zealous form of it at any rate.
                          Originally posted by ffreeloader View Post
                          LOL
                          @ ffreeloader

Comment

He's had me on "ignore" for months.
                            And who can blame him?

@ ffreeloader
                            "LOL".

Well this is fun isn't it?

Comment

And who can blame him?
                              I can't blame him. Were I forced to stonewall against all 7djengo7's questions, like Arthur Brain is forced to do, I'd probably have the good sense to put 7djengo7 on "ignore", too, rather than to hang around begging for attention from 7djengo7, like Arthur Brain does. The Barbarian, despite his failure to deal with the questions I asked him, at least has that particular good sense.

"LOL".

HOW DARE YOU STEAL MY LOL SHTICK!!!

Oh, wait...you didn't. You just can't bear to write LOL without quotes around it, like I can. Mine is the LOL shtick, not the "LOL" shtick. Sorry: Your effort, once again, is entirely wasted, Arthur B. Not a drop on me.

LOL

Comment

I can't blame him. Were I forced to stonewall against all 7djengo7's questions, like Arthur Brain is forced to do, I'd probably have the good sense to put 7djengo7 on "ignore", too, rather than to hang around begging for attention from 7djengo7, like Arthur Brain does. The Barbarian, despite his failure to deal with the questions I asked him, at least has that particular good sense.

HOW DARE YOU STEAL MY LOL SHTICK!!!

Oh, wait...you didn't. You just can't bear to write LOL without quotes around it, like I can. Mine is the LOL shtick, not the "LOL" shtick. Sorry: Your effort, once again, is entirely wasted, Arthur B. Not a drop on me.

LOL
                                Proof positive that too many hours spent on games can send people a bit hatstand...

Well this is fun isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X