Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Death Penalty. What Is Your Position?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Here's a link to a sum of studies on the efficacy of physical punishment (link). The research seems fairly one-sided in conclusion.

From that article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal in conjunction with JAMC:

Key points

• Numerous studies have found that physical punishment increases the risk of broad and enduring negative developmental outcomes.
    • No study has found that physical punishment enhances developmental health.
    • Most child physical abuse occurs in the context of punishment.
    • A professional consensus is emerging that parents should be supported in learning nonviolent, effective approaches to discipline.
    Guaranteed that all of the studies they look at use fuzzy definitions of "physical punishment" that do nothing to differentiate proper discipline from abuse.

For example, it says: "In an early modeling study, boys in grade one who had watched a one-minute video of a boy being yelled at, shaken..."

No good parent recognizes yelling and shaking as generally useful tools in proper discipline. They show weakness and should be reserved exclusively for emergencies. I can't think of a single situation where shaking would be appropriate.

Moreover, their retrospective studies tend to ask — for example — drug addicts questions like: "Were you spanked?" Such respondents are never going to make any distinction between physical punishment and proper discipline. Also, they were obviously not exposed to any significant training, having thrown their lives away.

It's easy to show correlation between "physical punishment" and abuse or anti-social behavior. You're not going to get an argument there. What it is impossible to show is a correlation between "proper discipline" and such things, mostly because none of these studies would ever define proper discipline.

These studies are done without any interest in considering proper discipline, which shouldn't be surprising for those that bow to baby-killing groups like the "un."
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

Comment

• Originally posted by bibleverse2 View Post
      How was that situation different from the situation at an abortion clinic, in terms of the murder of a child?
      The mother.
      E≈mc2

-Bob B.

Comment

• Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
        If you follow the link you'll likely get the same impression.
        "Impression"? We prefer a proper analysis of relevant evidence.

It's amazing how people decide that what is plainly said cannot be so.

Said the Adventist, etc.
        Said the Darwinist, etc.

My cousin wasn't whipped as a child. He was put in a corner and spoken to lovingly, but firmly. He's dead after leaping from a car on a freeway in a drug-induced haze and his brother is on the same path.

I suspect God is not pleased with the situation as it stands.
        E≈mc2

-Bob B.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stripe View Post
          These studies are done without any interest in considering proper discipline, which shouldn't be surprising for those that bow to baby-killing groups . .
          That brought to mind what the Bible teaches:

Proverbs 19:18 ¶Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

Proverbs 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Revelation 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Hebrews 12:5 . . . ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
          6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
          7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
          8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
          9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
          10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
          11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Comment

The mother.
            How does the mother make any difference in the situation OK Doser presented, from the situation at an abortion clinic, in terms of the murder of a child?

Comment

• Originally posted by bibleverse2 View Post
              How does the mother make any difference in the situation OK Doser presented, from the situation at an abortion clinic, in terms of the murder of a child?
              Nothing in principle, I guess. However, the situation doser presented would require a spur of the moment response, while an abortion would have weeks, at least, of buildup.

I guess that such a scenario would likely never arise given someone that determined to stop it.
              E≈mc2

-Bob B.

Comment

• Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post

You know that's not what Clete said.
                I cited what Jesus said, without commenting on it.

Clete's response to Jesus's comments...

How many times does the same argument have to be refuted?
                That's all there is to say about it.
                This message is hidden because ...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post

Clete's response to ...
                  You, troll

Comment

• Originally posted by Clete View Post
                    It isn't Jesus that needs refuting, it's your removal of this episode from it's context that needs it.
                    The context was that a mob was looking forward to killing a woman who was caught in adultery. Jesus suggested that the person who was without sin first throw a stone. Notice He didn't say "throw the first stone."

You're a smart guy, and I say that without any sarcasm. Think it over.

I think you'll know why His lesson is for all of us and applies today.

Just think about it, O.K.?

Comment

The context was that a mob was looking forward to killing a woman who was caught in adultery.
                      That's not what the Bible says.

I think you'll know why His lesson is for all of us and applies today.
                      Barbarian thinks that all criminals should just be let go.

Just think, OK?
                      E≈mc2

-Bob B.

Comment

If you feel the need to misrepresent what I think, in order to make your point, that should tell you something about who your master really is.

God is truth. If you care about Him, care about the truth.

Comment

That's not what the Bible says.

Just think, OK?
                          Don't

Feed

The

Troll

Comment

• Originally posted by ok doser View Post
                            Don't

Feed

The

Troll

[Whisper]I am the troll.[/Whisper]
                            E≈mc2

-Bob B.

Comment

IfyoufeeltheneedtomisrepresentwhatIthink,inorderto makeyourpoint,thatshouldtellyousomethingaboutwhoyo urmasterreallyis.Godistruth.IfyoucareaboutHim,care aboutthetruth.

Blablablablaman.
                              E≈mc2

-Bob B.

Comment

• Thread has devolved too much.

Locking the thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X