Shared Interests vs Shared Values

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Heard this tossed around by some talking heads on the CBC, talking about the Saudis and the current Khashoggi controversy. It occurred to me that it also applied to other controversies, such as the Putin nonsense and the left's bizarre desire to paint the fledgling Russian democracy as our enemy because they aren't a mirror of our perfect governmental system.

For this discussion - which is more important - shared interests or shared values? I'll discuss it in terms of the Saudis and Putin, because those revolve around energy, one of my interests.

If anybody else wants to take it in other directions, feel free :)

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

glorydaz

Heard this tossed around by some talking heads on the CBC, talking about the Saudis and the current Khashoggi controversy. It occurred to me that it also applied to other controversies, such as the Putin nonsense and the left's bizarre desire to paint the fledgling Russian democracy as our enemy because they aren't a mirror of our perfect governmental system.

For this discussion - which is more important - shared interests or shared values? I'll discuss it in terms of the Saudis and Putin, because those revolve around energy, one of my interests.

We'd have few partners if we went with shared values....at least the values we used to stand for. :(

ok doser

Probably the most extreme example historically of the united states putting shared interests ahead of shared values was our alliance with stalin in ww2

don't believe i've ever read about idiots protesting that, back when it was happening

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

Just where might this "fledgling Russian democracy" exist - outside of "ok doser's" imagination?

Canada, with which America shares 5250 miles of common border, had their leader characterized by "The Donald" in 2018 as " very dishonest and weak" - criticisms that he has never directed toward those guardians of democracy, Russia (Putin) and the Saudi Royal Family!

Last edited:

ok doser

Just where might this "fledgling Russian democracy" exist - outside of "ok doser's" imagination?

educate your dumb self: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Russia

Canada, with which America shares 5250 miles of common border, had their leader characterized by "The Donald" in 2018 as " very dishonest and weak"

right - that's justin trudeau, the pretty boy whose qualifications before being elected were that he taught school

my Canadian friends are embarrassed by him

- criticisms that he has never directed toward those guardians of democracy, Russia (Putin) and the Saudi Royal Family!

well, neither of them are very dishonest and weak :duh:

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Heard this tossed around by some talking heads on the CBC, talking about the Saudis and the current Khashoggi controversy. It occurred to me that it also applied to other controversies, such as the Putin nonsense and the left's bizarre desire to paint the fledgling Russian democracy as our enemy because they aren't a mirror of our perfect governmental system. OK Doser, Russia is not a "democracy ", fledgling or otherwise . It's a totalitarian dictatorship run by a ruthless , murderous thing by the name of Vladimir Putin . And Trump is his lapdog and puppet .

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
OOPS ! Meant to write "Thug ", not thing . But Putin could be the monster on a sic-fi horror movie called "The Thing ".

ok doser

i believe this is your response:
OK Doser, Russia is not a "democracy ", fledgling or otherwise .

yes it is.

it may not be a perfect democracy, it may not be even a good democracy, but it's the democracy they have and if change is going to come, it has to be driven by the russian people

educate yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Russia

It's a totalitarian dictatorship ...

no, that was the old communist soviet government that no longer exists

...run by a ruthless , murderous thing by the name of Vladimir Putin .

:yawn:

dude, i get it

you don't like putin for God only knows what reason

And Trump is his lapdog and puppet .

oh, that's right

you're retarded

never mind

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
educate your dumb self: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Russia

right - that's justin trudeau, the pretty boy whose qualifications before being elected were that he taught school

my Canadian friends are embarrassed by him

well, neither of them are very dishonest and weak :duh:
The fact that "The Donald" and "ok dossier" would value the friendship of 2 atheistic authoritarian dictators, Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong-Un above that of Justin Trudeau, speaks volumes concerning their judgement and morals!

It should be noted that unlike "Donald J," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was a clear winner when it comes to the national popular vote, and n marked contrast with the President, he is not under any investigations as to his possible collusion with foreign powers during the election!

Last edited:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Kim is a member of the Saudi royal family?

Put down the bong, man

177511_600.jpg

Its painfully obvious that one only descends to this level of "discourse" when they lack the ability to debate the issues based on a command of the facts!

Comments like this only confirm what we've all long suspected,"ok doser's" knuckles must be scrapping along the ground!

ok doser

The fact that "The Donald" and "ok dossier" would value the friendship of 2 atheistic authoritarian dictators, Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong-Un above that of Justin Trudeau, speaks volumes concerning their judgement and morals!

for those sober enough to read the OP, the thread is about the inevitable conflict between values and interests

first of all, nobody's mentioned Kim Jong-un in this thread, so for you to imply that I value his "friendship" is dishonest at worst, retarded at best

second, regardless of my feelings for Trudeau (and they're informed by my Canadian friends), Canada is our largest trading partner and, at times, a greater supplier of energy products than Saudi Arabia

third, the US, Russia and Saudi Arabia are the largest global energy producers, so we have the shared interest of maintaining supply lines and markets

regardless of the feelings of you, jg or me for the leaders of those four countries (Canada, Saudi Arabia, Russia and the US) their co-operation is essential to maintaining global energy supplies