Every day is a new circus.

Arthur Brain

Donald.gif

:rotfl:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And what I want to know is where's the bread? :mmph:

If you're thinking that one could go two ways, the answer is yes.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Does anyone here think this is constitutional? Can the Border Patrol routinely ask for documents beyond 100 miles of the border?

A woman named Tiana Smalls rode Greyhound from Bakersfield to Las Vegas. Here's her story posted to FB. I've redacted some of her language for TOL, the link has the unedited version if you're looking for a direct quote:

Ok. Storytime: this is kinda long but PLEASE READ. It's about my experience last night with these [redacted] border patrol agents.
Last night, I rode the greyhound bus from Bakersfield to Las Vegas to visit family.
When we got to the California/Nevada state line, as always, there's a checkpoint.
(This checkpoint USED to be one where they made sure you weren't carrying fruits into California, bc of an invasive fruit fly species).
Anyway...
The bus driver makes an announcement: "We are being boarded by Border Patrol. Please be prepared to show your documentation upon request".
WAIT. WHAT THE [redacted]?
So you know I'm ready to act an [redacted].
I stand up and say LOUDLY:
THIS IS A VIOLATION OF YOUR 4TH AMENDMENT RIGHTS. YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOW THEM [redacted]!!! This is illegal. We are not within 100 miles of an international border so that have NO authority to ask you for ANYTHING. TELL THEM TO [redacted] OFF!
And, Since my Spanish sucks, I Google translated how to say that in Spanish and repeated myself:
Esto es una violación de los derechos de su cuarta enmienda. ¡No tienes que mostrarles nada! Esto es ilegal No cumples, y no tengas miedo. Están equivocados, y no dejaremos pasar esto
The lady next to me did not speak English. She looked terrified. I reassured her that I had her back.
The agents get on. Proceed to announce that they are about to start asking for "documentation" from people.
I Stand up and yell "I'm not showing you [redacted]! I'm not driving this bus, so you have NO RIGHT to ask me for anything! And the rest of you guys don't have to show them anything, either! This is harassment and racial profiling! Don't show them a gotdamn thing! We are not within 100 miles of a border so they have NO LEGAL RIGHT or jurisdiction here! GOOGLE IT!"
The agents start to look exasperated, because they can see I'm willing to act a WHOLE DONKEY. One of them said "Fine. We can see that you're a citizen because of your filthy mouth". And then they just said "go ahead" to the bus driver and got off.
Point is: These border patrol officers act like they do because they EXPECT people to be afraid of them and just comply. The lady next to me spoke NO ENGLISH, but she was a very kind woman. She looked TERRIFIED when they boarded. I felt it was my duty to defend her. We DO NOT LIVE in Nazi Germany. No one should be asked to present "papers" for interstate travel. I defended her, and I defended myself. We DO NOT HAVE to just take this [redacted] LYING down. What those officers did is WRONG and completely illegal. All it took was ONE LOUD [redacted] Black woman to let them know WE ARE NOT WITH THE [redacted]. [redacted] Y'ALL. And they backed off.
Use your voice. Take a risk. Act an [redacted]. Because if you let them intimidate the poor Spanish speaking woman next to you, who do you think they're coming for next?​

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Law enforcement agents are legally permitted to lie to you about your rights, and indeed are trained to do this.

You're on your own when it comes to asserting your rights. This woman was lucky. She might have been beaten up and arrested, and then let go before she was booked; there is rarely any consequence for police who do those kinds of things. Even if she sues, the police officers aren't punished; the taxpayers are.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
White House tasks office with taping together papers after Trump rips them up

President Trump reportedly has a habit of ripping up pieces of paper, including letters and official documents, that are required by law to be preserved, in what was described as his personal "filing system."

Former staffers handling records management for the White House told Politico that they were tasked with taping the paper scraps together to ensure that the administration did not violate legal requirements to preserve presidential records.

Solomon Lartey, who was terminated after nearly three decades of government service, told Politico that he and colleagues would use Scotch tape to put the pieces together "like a jigsaw puzzle."
. . . .

Reginald Young, Jr., another former staffer in the department, told Politico that the task felt well beneath his salary.
"I'm looking at my director, and saying, 'Are you guys serious?'" he said. "We're making more than $60,000 a year, we need to be doing far more important things than this. . . .
Staffers said that under former President Obama, records were carefully preserved and sent to the National Archives in accordance with the Presidential Records Act. The policy requires that all memos, letters, documents and papers touched by the president be kept as historical records in the National Archives.

Another unnamed sourced told Politico that Trump would tear up "anything that happened to be on his desk that he was done with," and that aides were unable to prompt the president to break his habit. Lartey and Young said that as recently as their departure, staffers were still tasked with taping the pages back together.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Law enforcement agents are legally permitted to lie to you about your rights, and indeed are trained to do this.

You're on your own when it comes to asserting your rights. This woman was lucky. She might have been beaten up and arrested, and then let go before she was booked; there is rarely any consequence for police who do those kinds of things. Even if she sues, the police officers aren't punished; the taxpayers are.

They weren't police. They were Border Patrol.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
They weren't police. They were Border Patrol.

They have the same constitutional cover as other law enforcement people. They are, according to the Supreme Court, legally able to lie to you about your rights in order to get you to waive them.

And there generally has to be an extremely egregious case of assault on a citizen by a law enforcement officer to get that officer charged with a crime.

It's happening more often now, because cell phones make cameras more common, and photo evidence is pretty persuasive, particularly when it gets into the news and puts public pressure on prosecutors.

It's still uncommon but it's increasing. Not surprisingly, police unions are always lobbying to make it illegal to photograph police, for that reason.

In one case, a union representative argued that body cams on cops can legally only be used to convict citizens of crimes, not police.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
They have the same constitutional cover as other law enforcement people. They are, according to the Supreme Court, legally able to lie to you about your rights in order to get you to waive them.

I share your concerns about the police. But I'm talking about Border Patrol asking for documents outside their 100 miles from the border limits.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
At least it's not that menacing dictator and human right's violator Justin Trudeau!

Did you ever think you'd see the day when Trump would shaft one of our closest friends and allies as Canada and gush over Kim Jong Un and Putin?

Up is down and down is up.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Trump Was Outfoxed in Singapore

Trump made a huge concession — the suspension of military exercises with South Korea. That’s on top of the broader concession of the summit meeting itself, security guarantees he gave North Korea and the legitimacy that the summit provides his counterpart, Kim Jong-un.

Within North Korea, the “very special bond” that Trump claimed to have formed with Kim will be portrayed this way: Kim forced the American president, through his nuclear and missile tests, to accept North Korea as a nuclear equal, to provide security guarantees to North Korea, and to cancel war games with South Korea that the North has protested for decades.

In exchange for these concessions, Trump seems to have won astonishingly little. In a joint statement, Kim merely “reaffirmed” the same commitment to denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula that North Korea has repeatedly made since 1992.

Anyone surprised?