Trump: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoh

Is he your pal? A member of your family? If you get sick tomorrow or die will he send flowers? Was an insult aimed at you? If not, it's not personal. The personal is in your mind. If you're going to defend and promote him you have to understand that people who think you're deeply mistaken to do so are going to have something to say about it.

How you answer defines you. Abridge that dictionary.

Now on the other hand, this is what personal looks like:

That's making light of something that wasn't. And you know what? I'm still not going to expend the energy to be offended.

At the same time, there can nevertheless be a victory - in the resulting reflection on things one is then challenged to reflect on.

Which is never a bad thing.

Forgiving either a slight or a perceived slight, is not often easy for many.

Because the "how to be able to" difference between the ever self-defeating sense of "have to" and the empowering sense of "can" is not often understood by most, nor taught by many.

The result being that many so end up entrenched in the resulting self-defeat of all that, that all another can do is see their obviously sad self-defeat once more, as a warning of what can so easily befall any of us, should we allow ourselves to stray to far from an actually heartfelt "Nevertheless, what saith the Scripture as to CAN be my resulting victory in the Lord, over this, or that?"

Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

You see that - even as they spit on Him and reviled Him.

Matthew 26:67 Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,

Its an odd thing - but there is a victory for the Believer in forgiving others.

Odd as that sounds to our minds...

Or as the Apostle Paul had described the power behind that seeming foolishness...

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence. 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Just a matter of that difference between that sense of "have to" (that so many end up ever under the burden of, and that as a result, sooner or later can not but rebel against), and that victory in the Lord that is "I can..."

2 Corinthians 3:16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the LORD.

Easy peasy - Japanesey.

"Forgiveness - pass it on" :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
China would rather be our ally; we lead in business and they respect that, and sure, they want to do better. We are their best market and there really is no such thing as 'trade deficit'.

NK wants something; they do not want to all die, they want something, but are not going about it the right way. Give them time and they will, eventually, be more like China

Now, they are way behind modern social networking
Did you see the new video footage of the 24 year old guy fron NK who defected the other day? He ran to the other side right at the DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) and the opened up on him shooting at least 40 times. He was hit by five bullets and recovering now. He was covered with parasites unlike anything they've seen before and in sad shape. Those people need help bad. Doctors report that he's up and around and watching American movies like Transformers. Can you imagine what he's thinking, God Bless him?

The North broke the rules of the DMZ.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Did you see the new video footage of the 24 year old guy fron NK who defected the other day? He ran to the other side right at the DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) and the opened up on him shooting at least 40 times. He was hit by five bullets and recovering now. He was covered with parasites unlike anything they've seen before and in sad shape. Those people need help bad. Doctors report that he's up and around and watching American movies like Transformers. Can you imagine what he's thinking, God Bless him?

The North broke the rules of the DMZ.

NK has a long way to go, and now with a stupid leader. Best thing to do about stupid is take it with a grain of salt.:chew:

rexlunae

I don't think they fall under the normal idea of sponsors of terrorism. The assassination wasn't terrorism. You can't call them a sponsor of terror based on a hypothetical sale of weapons. Them having nuclear weapons is obviously a major risk but terrorism? Doesn't seem like it in the conventional sense.

Honestly, the definition is broad enough that you could probably argue it any direction you wanted to. And it's probably the most sensible plank of Trump's North Korea policy. Certainly less likely to end badly than losing a Tweet war with Kim Jong Un. But it's also nearly irrelevant. It gives us the ability to restrict funding by international organizations that they mostly don't depend on anyway, and other than that, it's largely symbolic. It would matter more to a country more deeply integrated into the world financial system.

They were labeled a sponsor of terror until Obama dropped the label but it was based on an actual act of terrorism.

My understanding is that GW Bush dropped it.

rexlunae

China would rather be our ally;

No, I don't think so. They don't want to be in a war with us, and for that reason, sometimes our interests align. But they really want to be in a position to challenge our dominance, which is the opposite of being an ally.

we lead in business and they respect that, and sure, they want to do better. We are their best market ...

I think that's mistaken in nearly every imaginable way. I doubt the Chinese would say that we lead in business. And I don't think they act like we're their best market. They have tons of markets at their disposal, and they dominate trade and investment in Africa in a way that we don't.

NK wants something; they do not want to all die, they want something, but are not going about it the right way. Give them time and they will, eventually, be more like China.

North Korea wants the preservation of the Kim rule. That's what they want. It makes no sense for them to open up, because that would undermine the rule of the existing regime. But if it came down to it, they would probably sooner allow all their people to die before they allowed the Kim family to fall from power. It's the entire predicate of their regime.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So Trump is honoring Native American Code Talkers from WWII and he decides this is the time to take a shot at Sen. Warren by calling her Pocahontas. :plain: You can't make this up...unless, of course, you're a speech writer for the president or work for Fox News. The honor was given under a painting of Andrew Jackson, whose initial claim to fame was as an "Indian fighter".

So tone deaf it's nearly miraculous.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
take a shot at Sen. Warren by calling her Pocahontas.
I thought that name for her was hilarious since she claimed to be part Indian (with no documentation whatsoever).
Can you just imagine what sort of names Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Kimmel would call Trump (that you would laugh at) if Trump did that?
Cartoon Boy would have a heyday plastering gifs and cartoons of Trump in feathers.

Danoh

So Trump is honoring Native American Code Talkers from WWII and he decides this is the time to take a shot at Sen. Warren by calling her Pocahontas. :plain: You can't make this up...unless, of course, you're a speech writer for the president or work for Fox News. The honor was given under a painting of Andrew Jackson, whose initial claim to fame was as an "Indian fighter".

Well what do you want from the total fraud and equally clueless, Donald Trump.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoPLhf5VUAAwE3z.jpg

rexlunae

I don't really believe in miracles, and I don't think a bit of that appearance was an accident. I think it was a troll, with the deliberate aim of distracting from other things.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So Eric Trump tried to defend his dad over the Pocahontas bit, but only underscored a contextual deficiency that seems to run in the family.

"The irony of an ABC reporter (whose parent company Disney has profited nearly half a billion dollars on the movie “Pocahontas”) inferring that the name is “offensive” is truly staggering to me."

A lot of interesting responses to it. My favorite so far was a Tweet by Patrick Tomlinson, who wrote:

"Other things Eric finds "staggering."
-Revolving doors
-Where the Sun goes at night
-How there's always a quarter hidden in his ear but he can never find it."

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I thought that name for her was hilarious since she claimed to be part Indian
Sarah Sanders tried to say that she has tried to use the claim to advance her career but that isn't true based on what I've seen. It was Harvard who tried to use it as evidence of diversity and led to a controversy during her campaign a few years ago. So why should that be grounds for mockery?

At the very least it should be easy to agree that it wasn't the time and place for it.

(with no documentation whatsoever).
https://www.vox.com/2016/5/16/11684776/elizabeth-warren-pocahontas
But just because Warren can't find hard evidence of Native American heritage doesn't mean she doesn't have any, Franke-Ruta said — and even if she doesn't, that wouldn't make her a liar. Hazy oral histories about Native heritage are especially common in Oklahoma, where Warren grew up, and she would have no particular reason to disbelieve the stories she was told growing up.

rexlunae

So Eric Trump tried to defend his dad over the Pocahontas bit, but only underscored a contextual deficiency that seems to run in the family.

"The irony of an ABC reporter (whose parent company Disney has profited nearly half a billion dollars on the movie “Pocahontas”) inferring that the name is “offensive” is truly staggering to me."

A lot of interesting responses to it. My favorite so far was a Tweet by Patrick Tomlinson, who wrote:

"Other things Eric finds "staggering."
-Revolving doors
-Where the Sun goes at night
-How there's always a quarter hidden in his ear but he can never find it."

That's almost verbatim what Mike Huckabee said to Tucker Carlson. At least they've coordinated their talking points. Next they should try to figure out what the point was.

rexlunae

Next on "The Good and the Bad":

Project Veritas set out to uncover that the Washington Post is "fake news", ended up proving the quality of the Post's journalism, while also demonstrating their own duplicity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...8f47fc-d482-11e7-a986-d0a9770d9a3e_story.html

These stings, presumably part of Veritas's "American Provda" project, are zero-risk for them. If the sting fails, if it turns up nothing, nothing happens. Nothing gets published, and no one notices But if they do trick an actual journalist, and feed them a junk story that gets past the fact-checkers and background checks, they stand to smear the entire institution, and even the entire profession of journalism. Only because they were caught in the act, and kinda counter-stung was their deception revealed, in an act of real journalism.

There are problems with journalism in this country. There is too much consolidation, too many challenges to the business models that have typically supported journalism from the Internet. But the alternatives that Trump and conservatives are pushing us toward would replace the free press and journalism in the public interest with activist media under the sway of interested parties. This is a huge step backward.

So, the good is, the Washington Post's journalism under Marty Baron (of the movie Spotlight, a fictional account of part of his time at the Boston Globe) is still strong, still rigorous, still protecting our democracy.

The bad is, the consequences of the revelation of this hugely deceptive ploy to fabricate a "fake news" narrative are probably limited, because conservatives only believe captive activist right-wing media, and most liberals already know what it is. I'd bet Tucker Carlson and Hannity won't spend any time talking about it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
National Congress of American Indians:

National Congress of American Indians President Jefferson Keel issued the following statement:

"We regret that the President’s use of the name Pocahontas as a slur to insult a political adversary is overshadowing the true purpose of today’s White House ceremony,” stated NCAI President Jefferson Keel, a decorated U.S. Army officer and Vietnam War combat veteran. “Today was about recognizing the remarkable courage and invaluable contributions of our Native code talkers. That’s who we honor today and everyday – the three code talkers present at the White House representing the 10 other elderly living code talkers who were unable to join them, and the hundreds of other code talkers from the Cherokee, Choctaw, Comanche, Lakota, Meskwaki, Mohawk, Navajo, Tlingit, and other tribes who served during World Wars I and II. We also honor the service and bravery of all of our veterans and those currently serving from Indian Country. Native people serve in the Armed Forces at a higher rate than any other group in the country, and have served in every war in this nation’s history.

And we honor the contributions of Pocahontas, a hero to her people, the Pamunkey Indian Tribe in Virginia, who reached across uncertain boundaries and brought people together. Once again, we call upon the President to refrain from using her name in a way that denigrates her legacy."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And now, time for another failed Trump Tweet:
Wow, Matt Lauer was just fired from NBC for “inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace.” But when will the top executives at NBC & Comcast be fired for putting out so much Fake News. Check out Andy Lack’s past!

Because nothing says, "I take sexual harassment in the workplace seriously" like using it to launch another fake complaint about fake news.

:plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.