You have no right to a tax payer funded attorney

elohiym

yeh, the guy ought to sue for not getting a speedy trial... unless he himself asked for al l .the delays?

If I recall correctly, the first attorney manipulated him to waive a speedy trail, and that's why he fired him. Let's just say it's been a travesty on many levels, and like any of us could do under pressure like that, he's made some errors in trying to work with the court and his public defenders. He prays for a trial and at this point and is ambivalent about being found guilty on false testimony because he believes prison would be more hospitable than where he is now, where he is losing his mind and getting thinner by the day because of health issues.

elohiym

maybe they should throw out the "free attorney" thing (just saying MAYBE here) and go with this idea: let the poor bring their cases to court and a court clerk can show them the proper format to put their paperwork into and etc...

A mentally competent person who is not an attorney can represent himself in court. It's called pro se legal representation. While a court clerk will help you with filing papers, they will not give legal advice and would generally direct you to the law library (in some courthouse buildings) where you can craft the substance and form of your pleadings.

fzappa13

As a practical matter, I have heard that you get what you pay for ... and as it concerns lawyers I have found that to be true.

elohiym

... even the most obvious of those who are innocent are taking a risk walking into a courtroom without a lawyer.

I'll share a story with a happy ending. A guy I know was arrested because of a false accusation made against him by a business. He spent a night in jail until another friend bailed him out. Since he knew the business falsely accused him and could prove he was innocent, he went to the District Attorney's office without an attorney and plead his case to her in person. He was convincing enough for her to abandon the prosecution. Then he retained an attorney to sue the business for making the false accusation and they settled with him for a sum of money. A short period of time later, he appeared before a judge without an attorney to have his record cleared; the judge was very pleasant, ordered in his favor and told him that if anyone ever asked him if he'd been arrested he could honestly say no.

republicanchick

If I recall correctly, the first attorney manipulated him to waive a speedy trail, and that's why he fired him. Let's just say it's been a travesty on many levels, and like any of us could do under pressure like that, he's made some errors in trying to work with the court and his public defenders. He prays for a trial and at this point and is ambivalent about being found guilty on false testimony because he believes prison would be more hospitable than where he is now, where he is losing his mind and getting thinner by the day because of health issues.

no one cares

seriously... That is why there is so much corruption in the world, people just do NOT care about one another...

and those who do care... a lot of them will offer to pray for you, but that is it... They will do that b/c it is a lot easier than... other things they could/should do...

it would be nice to know the whole story But that said, I know that there are a lot of injustices going on in t his supposedly democratic society... against mostly the poor and disadvanated...

some things never change..

elohiym

no one cares

seriously... That is why there is so much corruption in the world, people just do NOT care about one another...

They don't know why they should care. Knowing why you should care is knowing "the secret of life."

Jesus said, "Love your enemies..." Most people wonder why they should; and until they know why, they can't obey the command.

republicanchick

They don't know why they should care. Knowing why you should care is knowing "the secret of life."

Jesus said, "Love your enemies..." Most people wonder why they should; and until they know why, they can't obey the command.

yeh, I tend to agree. But here's the thing: wehther you know why or not.. we are commanded to do so..

it helps to know such things as: this person I can't seem to forgive has done awful things, but so have I... I want to be forgiven so I had better forgive

forgive does not equal condone... but it seems like it... which makes it hard to forgive..

+

elohiym

yeh, I tend to agree. But here's the thing: wehther you know why or not.. we are commanded to do so..

Yes, and I think that is why the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; but love is the end, right? A great actor may be able to cry on command but I'm not sure one exists that can love on command. Would that really be love? I think it takes a certain motivation, the why, to elicit the love that Jesus preached.

it helps to know such things as: this person I can't seem to forgive has done awful things, but so have I... I want to be forgiven so I had better forgive

forgive does not equal condone... but it seems like it... which makes it hard to forgive..

Good points.