How many cooks post here?

Gary K

Banned
One thing I really enjoy doing is cooking. I don't mean following a recipe but creating my own recipes. So far I've created at least 60 of them.

Building layers of flavors is a fascinating process. Here's one of my latest recipes. We had this for breakfast this morning and it is really good, at least to both my wife and I really like it. She lets out little sighs as she eats it she thinks it's so tasty. It's sort of a combination of Thai, Chinese, and American cooking. A lot of people would most likely have to cut down on the amounts of curry paste and sambal olek(red chili paste) as I love spicy food and tend to put more heat in my food than most Americans can handle.

1 package super firm high protein tofu
1 package frozen spinach thawed
1 large sweet onion diced
1 sweet bell pepper diced
4 tbs minced garlic
1/4 cup tamari sauce or liquid aminos
3 tbs roasted sesame seed oil
4 tbs coarse corn meal
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbs fish sauce
3 tbs hoisin sauce
1 lime juiced
4 tbs sambal olek
4 tbs yellow curry paste
4 tbs organic cold pressed coconut oil

saute diced onions, bell pepper and garlic in coconut oil. When oinion translucent add curry paste mixing in thoroughly. Saute until no curry paste disappears into mixture then add tamari sauce, sesame seed oil, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, hoisin sauce, amd sambal olek stirring mixture thoroughly. Cook 3-5 minutes or until flavors meld.

While the above is cooking crumble the tofu into a bowl. After the above is done add tofu to the mixture an mix well so the tofu absorbs the flavors, then add spinace and mix until it is thoroughly incorporated into the mixture of tofu and seasonings. Then mix in enough corn meal to absorb any water. After that squeeze the juice of 1 lime into the mixture and stir enough to incorporate the lime flavor throughout. Serve hot from frying pan. I cook this in a well-seasoned 12 inch cast iron frying pan and nothing sticks to the pan. I don't know that the ingredients would fit in a smaller frying pan.

I would be interested in seeing recipes members here have created.

Truster

In 1979 I took a year out to study French Cusine and to prepare and cook following the guidance laid out by Georges Auguste Escoffier. It taught me the foundation of food preparation and it so impressed me I stayed within the framework he laid down.
I can't say that I ever devised a meal, but I have made adjustments and cut some corners over the years. The most valuable lesson for me was preparation and cuts of vegetables and meat. This ensures food is cooked evenly.

He wrote of 73 or 78 recipes for potatoes and pomme boulangère is joint first with the pomme frites. Pomme saute is a recipe I'd rather not live without.

Chef.

Truster

How many cooks does it take to spoil the broth?

How many false teachers does it take to confuse the message?

Gary K

Banned
In 1979 I took a year out to study French Cusine and to prepare and cook following the guidance laid out by Georges Auguste Escoffier. It taught me the foundation of food preparation and it so impressed me I stayed within the framework he laid down.
I can't say that I ever devised a meal, but I have made adjustments and cut some corners over the years. The most valuable lesson for me was preparation and cuts of vegetables and meat. This ensures food is cooked evenly.

He wrote of 73 or 78 recipes for potatoes and pomme boulangère is joint first with the pomme frites. Pomme saute is a recipe I'd rather not live without.

Chef.

I envy you the chance to get that kind of training. I wish I had known who I was when I was young enough to have had the chance to go to a culinary school. But by the time I had that figured out I was married with all those responsibilities and it pretty much eliminated that option for me.