Joining the US Marine Corps

The Berean

I have a 17 year old nephew. Last week out of the blue he decided to join the U.S. Marine Corps! This came out a complete shock to our family. He's never shown any interest in joining the military before. My nephew has never been the most disciplined kid. He's been kind of lazy at times to be honest. He hasn't played any sports other than one season of high school football as a freshman. His only hobby has been playing video games it seems. I'm concerned about how he will react to basic training. He's going to arrive in San Diego or Paris Island and a Marine drill instructor is going to step on that bus and start yelling at him. He's going to go from hanging out at home playing video games to getting up at 4 am and running around all day with drill instructors yelling in his face. It will be a complete shock to him. I feel he may be making a rash decision. He's a really smart kid, good at math and science. If he's really serious about doing this I am going to tell him to get as much technical education from the Marines as he can working on aircraft, helicopters, ships, amphibious vehicles, UAV's etc. My question is what kind of technical training do the Marines offer? I've been on the US Marine Corps website and there isn't much detailed information. I thought about visiting a local recruiting office and asking the recruiting officer about this as well.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I have a 17 year old nephew. Last week out of the blue he decided to join the U.S. Marine Corps! This came out a complete shock to our family. He's never shown any interest in joining the military before. My nephew has never been the most disciplined kid. He's been kind of lazy at times to be honest. He hasn't played any sports other than one season of high school football as a freshman. His only hobby has been playing video games it seems. I'm concerned about how he will react to basic training. He's going to arrive in San Diego or Paris Island and a Marine drill instructor is going to step on that bus and start yelling. He's going to go from hanging out at home playing video games to getting up at 4 am and running around all day with drill instructors yelling in his face. It will be a complete shock to him. I feel he may be making a rash decision. He's a really smart kid, good at math and science. If he's really serious about doing this I am going to tell him to get as much technical education from the Marines as he can working of aircraft, helicopters, ships, amphibious vehicles, UAV's etc. My question is what kind of technical training doe the Marines offer? I've been on the US Marine Corps website and there isn't much detailed information. I thought about visiting a local recruiting office and asking the recruiting officer about this as well.

sounds like sound advice, and yes, definitely contact a recruiter - maybe stop in at a local VFW as well and see if there are any ex-jarheads (i know, once a marine always a marine) who could help you

i was very happy that my son took my advice and chose navy over army, and that they steered him into a tech field - he's a nuclear electrician

The Berean

sounds like sound advice, and yes, definitely contact a recruiter - maybe stop in at a local VFW as well and see if there are any ex-jarheads (i know, once a marine always a marine) who could help you

That's a good idea. :thumb:

i was very happy that my son took my advice and chose navy over army, and that they steered him into a tech field - he's a nuclear electrician
I spoke to a friend of mine who was in the Navy for eight years. He told me that the Marines and Army will try to put my nephew on the front lines if possible. :chuckle: He also told me that if he really wants to get a good technical education in the US military then he should consider the Navy or the Air Force over the Marines or Army.

Aimiel

Tell him to hold out for Space Force!!!

I have a question, too... when they come home from Space Force, will they be allowed to bring their laser blaster or disruptor home with them? ... and will the Dumbocrats call that an Assault Weapon that should be outlawed?

The Berean

So I finally had a chance to speak with my nephew. He explained his reasoning for joining the Marines. He told me he didn't think school was for him at this point in his life but he also wants to learn a trade that will give him a good carer after leaves the Marine Corp in 2023. His MOS will be some sort of mechanic. He seems really serious about this. He is working out already to get ready for boot camp. He's training with his recruiter twice a week as well. I just told him that my wife and I love him and we support his decision. I'm very curious to see what kind of young man he'll be in 2023 when he gets out. He's still only be 22 by then.

chair

I'm curious. When does he start basic training? If he's already started- how is it going?