No announcement yet.

Christian Quotation Of The Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvation is free, but discipleship will cost you your life.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer
    “Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

“One and God make a majority.”
    ― Frederick Douglass

Comment

• Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
      35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
      36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
      37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
      38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

― Frederick Douglass

Comment

• For some years past it has been deemed necessary in our country, for those who aim at a thorough theological education, to cultivate an acquaintance with German writers. Their language is studied in our theological institutions, and where this is not the case, translations, which are rapidly multiplying, can be substituted for the originals. A tour to Germany, and an introduction to her religious lights, has become as common and as fashionable with American Professors and students of divinity, as a visit to the continent has been with the English nobility. As in the latter case, it has been deemed important to add a French polish to a fashionable education, so in the former, it would seem that a German polish is equally important, that an American may complete his theological training, and be enabled to understand a book, which its author has designed to be read by every nation under heaven, and to be equally the guide of the sage and the peasant. It could hardly be expected, that a familiar acquaintance with the tomes of Rationalism would produce no effects on the minds of our countrymen, who toiled to master their contents. The effects have already begun to develop themselves in the productions of our writers and the sermons of our preachers. They may be traced in the expositions of our divines, in discourses which are valued as specimens of clerical talent and proofs of deep research. In reference to these sermons, our older readers have often had occasion to notice the paucity of scriptural quotations. It would seem that the authors of these productions were apprehensive that they might vitiate their style or betray a want of taste if they employed scriptural language to convey religious ideas. They forget that the great mass of their hearers are more familiar with biblical phraseology, as a medium for religious thought, than with any other, and that holy men of old, who preached with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven, employed a plain, unadorned style, when urging eternal truths on the minds of men; that in this, they followed the example of Him, whose discourses are a perfect model of simplicity. The preachers to whom we refer, would do well to recollect that the Saviour and his apostles made a free use of quotations from "Moses and the prophets and the book of Psalms." Experience shows that men readily and naturally quote those authors, whose language most frequently mingles with their trains of thought, though the reverse is the fact in reference to writers who are only consulted occasionally.
        Nathaniel Whiting

― Frederick Douglass

Comment

• Originally posted by ffreeloader View Post
          Nathaniel Whiting
          I saw you mention this guy's book in another thread. I found a PDF of it on Google Books, and put it on my tablet. Read a few pages in, so far. Great recommendation. Looks like there'll probably be a lot of interesting insights in it.
          All my ancestors are human.
          PS: All your ancestors are human.
          PPS: To all you cats, dogs, monkeys, and other assorted house pets whose masters are outsourcing the task of TOL post-writing to you (we know who you are )– you may disregard the PS.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7djengo7 View Post
            I saw you mention this guy's book in another thread. I found a PDF of it on Google Books, and put it on my tablet. Read a few pages in, so far. Great recommendation. Looks like there'll probably be a lot of interesting insights in it.
            Your welcome for the recommendation. The book is a really good read and gives us the ability to trace the vast majority of the errors that have entered Christianity back to their human sources and human rationalizations. The ultimate source of the errors is the same one who inspired blood to run in the streets of Paris and to inspire men to deify The Goddess of Reason over and above God and His word.

― Frederick Douglass

Comment

• "If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
              Mother Theresa
              This message is hidden because ...

Comment

• Originally posted by ffreeloader View Post
                Your welcome for the recommendation. The book is a really good read and gives us the ability to trace the vast majority of the errors that have entered Christianity back to their human sources and human rationalizations. The ultimate source of the errors is the same one who inspired blood to run in the streets of Paris and to inspire men to deify The Goddess of Reason over and above God and His word.
                Several years ago, I found an interesting book, from 1896, called The Mosaic Authorship of the Pentateuch, by David MacDill. I read some of it on my Kindle at the time, but haven't got back to it, yet; though I really should, and I would like to read the whole thing, and take some notes. Perhaps it would be of some interest to you. I'll give you a link to it:

https://books.google.com/books?id=5k...page&q&f=false
                All my ancestors are human.
                PS: All your ancestors are human.
                PPS: To all you cats, dogs, monkeys, and other assorted house pets whose masters are outsourcing the task of TOL post-writing to you (we know who you are )– you may disregard the PS.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7djengo7 View Post
                  Several years ago, I found an interesting book, from 1896, called The Mosaic Authorship of the Pentateuch, by David MacDill. I read some of it on my Kindle at the time, but haven't got back to it, yet; though I really should, and I would like to read the whole thing, and take some notes. Perhaps it would be of some interest to you. I'll give you a link to it:

https://books.google.com/books?id=5k...page&q&f=false
                  Thanks. I'll read that. I already read some of it, a few pages, and from what I've read this book speaks to the subject Whiting is speaking to when he talks about how the rationalists went about destroying faith in God's word.

Studying about God's word has no spiritual value. Only studying scripture has spiritual value for when we do that we place ourselves where God can reach us, teach us, and change us.

― Frederick Douglass

Comment

• "This, in a nutshell, is that will: that everything handed over to me by the Father be completed - not a single detail missed - and at the wrap-up of time I have everything and everyone put together, upright and whole." -Jesus, the Christ-

Comment

• Originally posted by FineLinen View Post
                      "This, in a nutshell, is that will: that everything handed over to me by the Father be completed - not a single detail missed - and at the wrap-up of time I have everything and everyone put together, upright and whole." -Jesus, the Christ-
                      Using a highly idiomatic version of the Bible is a terrible idea when trying to determine doctrine, ESPECIALLY when it's a salvation issue. Let's look at what the passage ACTUALLY says:

This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.” - John 6:39-40 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...0&version=NKJV

If someone does not believe, then he will not be saved. It's as simple as that.

Comment

• While there is a wonderful simplicity in God, much about Him has been obscured by the traditions of men. We are surrounded with things difficult to understand. The way most people take is to look away, lest they should find out they have to understand them. -George MacDonald-

Comment

• "This, in a nutshell, is that will: that everything handed over to me by the Father be completed - not a single detail missed - and at the wrap-up of time I have everything and everyone put together, upright and whole. This is what my Father wants: that anyone who sees the Son and trusts who he is and what he does and then aligns with him will enter real life, eternal life. My part is to put them on their feet alive and whole at the completion of time." -Jesus, the Christ-

Comment

• All men desire peace, but very few desire those things that make for peace.
                            ― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ

Comment

• In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo *** libro.
                              ― Thomas à Kempis

(In all places, I have sought peace and not found it, except in a corner with a book.)

Comment

• "Life is a great sunrise. I do not see why death should not be an even greater one." -Vladimir Nobokov -

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in a manner so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice." -Native American Proverb-

Comment

Working...
                                X