Rockets and Ukies and Bluenosers, oh my!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Rocket launch site to be built in Canso

CANSO, N.S. — A small rural community on Nova Scotia’s eastern coast could soon be the launch site for satellite-carrying rockets.

Maritime Launch Service Ltd., says it has committed to establishing a launch complex near Canso and Hazel Hill.

The company says it chose the location in Guysborough Municipality after an assessment of 14 potential locations across North America.

Once completed, the site would be used to launch the Ukrainian-built Cyclone 4M rocket into space.

The company says the Ukrainian provider of the rocket, Yuzhnoye and Yuzhmash, has been in operation for 62 years and has built and launched over 400 spacecraft.

CEO John Isella says the company is optimistic it can break ground on its new facility within a year and meet market demands with a first launch in 2020.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1450248-rocket-launch-site-to-be-built-in-canso

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
One of the least likely places to locate a rocket launch site, Canso is here

map1.ashx

When I heard the short announcement on the radio the other morning, Canso rattled around in my head for a while – couldn’t quite place it until I realized that I had just read about it in one of my histories of the colonial period.

Wiki:

Siege of Louisbourg
A year later, the village Canso was used as a staging area for the Siege of Louisbourg (1745). General Sir William Pepperell arrived at Canso, Nova Scotia, with four thousand and seventy troops, April 4, 1745, and, in three weeks was joined by Commodore Warren, with four ships from England.

Today, it’s the very definition of “quaint.”

And of “Maritime communities struggling with the economic collapse of the fishery industry”