True or False?

True or False?

• Total voters

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Do you believe the following statement to be true of false?

Contradictions do not exist (ontologically). If you think you've found one, check your premises. You'll find that at least one of them is wrong.

If you don't mind doing so, please post how you answered and indicate whether you're an atheist, agnostic, Catholic, Calvinist, Arminian or whatever.

Thanks!

Clete

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Contradictions do not exist. If you think you've found one, check your premises. You'll find that at least one of them is wrong.

If you don't mind doing so, please post how you answered and indicate whether you're an atheist, agnostic, Catholic, Calvinist, Arminian or whatever.

Thanks!

Clete

I found one!

"Contradictions do not exist"

what do i win?

ok doser

If you're not smart enough to understand the question, just ask and I'll be happy to help you with it.

one of my two statements in my first post is a contradiction

either

"I found one!"

or

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
one of my two statements in my first post is a contradiction

either

"I found one!"

or

Again, if you do not understand the question, please just ask me and I'll help you with it.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
It doesn't seem like I should have to explain this but just in case the question isn't as clear as it seems to be, let me clarify....

I'm perfectly well aware that contradictory CONCEPTS exist but real ones do not. Contradictions can be stated but they cannot actually exist ontologically.

I can say, "All rabbits are white and all rabbit are black.", which would be a contradictory statement but in reality, both claims cannot be true, one or both are false.

I hope that clears up any confusion. If not, just skip it.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It doesn't seem like I should have to explain this but just in case the question isn't as clear as it seems to be, let me clarify....

I'm perfectly well aware that contradictory CONCEPTS exist but real ones do not. Contradictions can be stated but they cannot actually exist ontologically.

I can say, "All rabbits are white and all rabbit are black.", which would be a contradictory statement but in reality, both claims cannot be true, one or both are false.

I hope that clears up any confusion. If not, just skip it.
I'm still unclear.

If it is that truth can have no contradiction, I would say that's true.
But to say that a statement can have no contradiction, I would say that's not true.
(As in your example of black and white rabbits.)

I'm voting "true" because I believe your intent is to say that truth has no contradiction.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm still unclear.

If it is that truth can have no contradiction, I would say that's true.
But to say that a statement can have no contradiction, I would say that's not true.
(As in your example of black and white rabbits.)

I'm voting "true" because I believe your intent is to say that truth has no contradiction.

Right. But even statements that contain contradictions do not describe anything that actually exists in reality, thus contradictions do not exist - in the ontological sense.

I edited the statement in the opening post.

ok doser

sorry clete - i responded when you were still editing yesterday

my answer is....

Spoiler
potatoe!

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

Contradictions do not exist (ontologically). If you think you've found one, check your premises. You'll find that at least one of them is wrong.

Thanks!

Clete

True.....ontologically.

Whatever is......is.

quip

BANNED
Banned

Is "Clete" spirit or is "Clete" a sack of animated meat?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
No. This is a Hegelian argument, which tests the belief that nature follows God's plan, thus contradictions do not exist.
The question, in part, may me from Ayn Rand, although she is looking at the proposition from the wrong perspective.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/aynrand163204.html
So is this a yes or a no?

This, by the way, has nothing to do with Hegel. Its a question based solely on the law of contradiction. A law which Hegel was very much aware of and used extensively but was certainly not the genesis of.