St. Louis Cardinals - Cardinal Country

john w

Hall of Fame
The top numbers if sustained for 18-20 years would make that first baseman arguably the greatest first baseman who ever lived. For his career (17 seasons) Lou Gehrig, generally considered the #1 first baseman, averaged:

.340/.447/.632, 179 OPS+, 37 HR, 149 RBI, 141 RBI, 40 doubles, 119 BB, 379 TB.

Now, granted Lou did this in the 1920's-30's when the game may not have been as competitive as later eras but those are insane numbers nevertheless.

The bottom numbers are those of a good player who probably makes a few all-Star teams in his best seasons but is not seen as a superstar. A player like that could be a Hall of Famer if he plays like 20 years and reaches career milestones like 500 HRs or 3,000 hits. Willie McCovey for his career averaged:

.270/.374/.515, 147 OPS+, 33 HR, 97 RBI, 77 R, 22 doubles, 84 BB, 264 TB.

But Willie played in a pitcher's era so his raw numbers were somewhat supressed so they don't tell the entire story as to how dominant he really was.

All while having smokes, and a "Carling Black Label" after(before?) the games...

Lou-Gehrig-with-a-beer-and-a-smoke-after-a-game-1936.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ever since MLB expanded the playoffs in 1969, there has only been one team to ever go undefeated in the postseason.

The Berean

Had Gehrig been able to play a few more years, he no doubt would have amassed 3,000 hits (he finished with 2,721)

It's hard to believe that with all the great Yankee players over the years, Derek Jeter was the first and only Yankee to get 3,000 hits.
Jeter has the most doubles, stolen bases, and strikeouts among Yankees as well.

The Berean

Ever since MLB expanded the playoffs in 1969, there has only been one team to ever go undefeated in the postseason.

1976 Cincinnati Reds.

3-0 in the NLCS
4-0 in the World Series

The 1989 Oakland A's were 8-1 in the post season. The 1999 NY Yankees and the 2005 Chicago White Sox were 11-1 in the post season.

Last edited:

The Berean

foster, concepcion, rose, morgan, bench, griffey, sparky etc. harder now with more PS games -

For sure. Going 11-1 in the post season as the 1999 Yankees and 2005 White Sox did is very impressive. The Yankees lost their one game, 13-1. The White Sox lost their one game, 3-2.

The Berean

For my career (17 seasons, ages 6-22, including "Frat" years), the great saint John W, generally considered the #1 "Whiffle Ball" player of all time, averaged:

.540/.947/.832, 479 OPS+, 137 HR, 549 RBI, 641 RBI, 740 doubles, 0 BB, 1379 TB.

Not sure how your on-base percentage can be higher than your batting average without having any walks? Perhaps you got hit by pitches hundreds of times? :chuckle:

The Berean

Correct

Did the Aqua Velva hint help?

Pete Rose Sings!! Aqua Velva Commercial - 1976

BTW, it look likes Mel had the day off from the diner, and went to the baseball game to watch the Reds.

No. Baseball history is a real passion of mine. My personal library is filled with dozens of baseball books to the chagrin of my wife. :chuckle: Also, the first postseason I ever watched was the 1976 postseason. I remember the Reds pounding Phillies pitching in the NLCS. I also remember Chris Chambliss' walk-off home run to win the Yankees first pennant in 12 years. The the Reds dismantled the Yankees in the World Series.

And, yes, that is Mel Sharples! Hahaha.

The Berean

Had Gehrig been able to play a few more years, he no doubt would have amassed 3,000 hits (he finished with 2,721)

It's hard to believe that with all the great Yankee players over the years, Derek Jeter was the first and only Yankee to get 3,000 hits.

Also, Lou could have ended up with like 2,500 RBI's as well!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
the first postseason I ever watched was the 1976 postseason.

When people think of the 1970's and Pittsburgh, the Steelers are what come to mind.

However, the Pirates were very good in the '70's. If not for the Big Red Machine, the Pirates may have won more than two World Series.

The Pirates and Reds dominated the National League in the 70's. Of the 10 NLCS's in the 70's the Reds and/or Pirates were in 8 of them, and met head to head in 4 of them, and the two teams won 4 World Series (Pirates 71 & 79, Reds 75 & 76)

NLCS Results:

1970) Reds beat Pirates
1971) Pirates beat Giants
1972) Reds beat Pirates
1973) Mets beat Reds
1974) Dodgers beat Pirates
1975) Reds beat Pirates
1976) Reds beat Phillies
1977) Dodgers beat Phillies
1978) Dodgers beat Phillies
1979) Pirates beat Reds

john w

Hall of Fame
However, the Pirates were very good in the '70's. If not for the Big Red Machine, the Pirates may have won more than two World Series....

The Pirates and Reds dominated the National League in the 70's.
And Slim Whitman was very good in the 70's, as was Barry Manilow, as was disco, and mayonaise is good when you buy it...........

And?

Have a seat.