Sleeping wasps.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Did you know wasps sleep? I had no idea. Last night I was looking for something out in a shed on my property and as I entered the shed my flashlight shined on a huge wasp nest. It was covered with sleeping wasps. My first instinct was to flee because I do not like to get stung. But then curiosity overcame that impulse and I became fascinated. I wondered whether my light might wake them up but it seemed to have no effect.

I had never thought about it but I guess all life forms on this good Earth do sleep.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Some wasps decided to build a small nest on the frame of my front door, this summer. For where it is, it's pretty big (about two inches wide and six inches long), and it's getting a little bigger every day. But, the nights are starting to cool off here now. So, in about a month, I should be able to spray the nest and knock it off the door frame (gotta wait for the first freeze for the wasps to go dormant).

GFR7

Yes, I once had wasps nest and a neighbor said to wait until night when they are sleeping to attempt to get rid of it...... Strange, wonder if they dream? :think:

PureX

Are they really 'sleeping', or are they huddled together for warmth? They can't fly if it gets cold enough, or they'll die. And I'm not sure they see much in the dark, anyway.

whitestone

there just less active at night and in the cold. If you cover a flashlight with something red and spray them with "dish-washing liquid/strong" they cannot fly and will die. pepper mint,lemon and other essential oils sprayed on their nest and they wont come back because of the smell(contaminate the nest). If you knock down the nest another will re-build next year,but if you leave it up they respect each others territory and wont build close to another.

If you Google "how to get rid of red wasp naturally",there's a lot of tricks the traps I made didn't kill buy a few,dish liquid and running worked best I used a spray bottle like mean green comes in. if you have soda cans outside it will attract them and they will build at your house. http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/blogs/how-to-get-rid-of-wasps-naturally