Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homeschooling lead to social deficiency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PureX View Post
    Home schooling is not a panacea for the difficulties of public education. Nor is home-schooling some form of child abuse.

I'm sure it can work well for a lot of people, and for their children. Just as does public education. But home-schooling can also become a disaster if the parents are doing it for the wrong reasons, or are simply ill-equipped to take on such a complex and important responsibility.

Also, I think it's important to remember that home-schooling doesn't mean the children cannot participate in all the same group activities that are available to kids in public schools. Because they can, and they should be encouraged to do so.
    Christian private school is better than atheist homeschool.
    "Darwin's style of intellectual attack was to portray his opponents' theories not merely as competing scientific explanations but as interlopers that had no business being in the same ring at all. Mechanistic, naturalistic forces were put forth as the only causes admissible in science." N. Pearcey

Comment

Originally posted by badp View Post
      Christian private school is better than atheist homeschool.
      Why?

Comment

Originally posted by PureX View Post
        Why?
        In most cases I tend to agree with badp, here. I myself went to a Christian private school in Texas until 7th grade. There was no pushing of religion onto students in the classroom. The only thing that we did related to Christianity was attend chapel in the attached church once a week for 25 minutes. That was hardly taxing.

The teachers were well-qualified and with one exception, kept any religious opinions about our subject matter to themselves (when one teacher stated that human footprints were found inside of dinosaur prints, and that we can't say for sure that humans and dinos didn't live together; just one mention of it, though, nothing to write home about).

Based on my experience, I'd say that teachers employed at a Christian private school are more qualified to educate children than the vast majority of parents, regardless of belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Jennings View Post
          In most cases I tend to agree with badp, here. I myself went to a Christian private school in Texas until 7th grade. There was no pushing of religion onto students in the classroom. The only thing that we did related to Christianity was attend chapel in the attached church once a week for 25 minutes. That was hardly taxing.

The teachers were well-qualified and with one exception, kept any religious opinions about our subject matter to themselves (when one teacher stated that human footprints were found inside of dinosaur prints, and that we can't say for sure that humans and dinos didn't live together; just one mention of it, though, nothing to write home about).

Based on my experience, I'd say that teachers employed at a Christian private school are more qualified to educate children than the vast majority of parents, regardless of belief.
          As someone who also attended private, Christian schools, I agree with this statement.
          TRUST
          is a fragile thing.

Easy to break, Easy to lose
          and one of the hardest things to
          ever get back.

Comment

I'd say that teachers employed at a Christian private school are more qualified to educate children than the vast majority of parents, regardless of belief.
            Originally posted by Rusha View Post
            As someone who also attended private, Christian schools, I agree with this statement.
            As someone who teaches in a private Christian school, I also agree with this statement.

Self appointed representative of the reality based community. [Send complaints to /dev/null.]

Comment

Life is Jazz. It helps to be able to improvise. If you are called upon to teach that can be learned if needs be. I think skill at teaching not anywhere near so important as what is being imparted to the would be student.
              Some drink at the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

Comment

Originally posted by gcthomas View Post
                I'd say that teachers employed at a Christian private school are more qualified to educate children than the vast majority of parents, regardless of belief.
                Originally posted by Rusha View Post
                As someone who teaches in a private Christian school, I also agree with this statement.
                As someone who has homeschooled his children all the way through highschool, I also agree with this statement. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure I made the right choice, because "education" is not all that happens in a school environment, unfortunately. And "education" is not all that happens in a home environment, fortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Derf View Post
                  As someone who has homeschooled his children all the way through highschool, I also agree with this statement. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure I made the right choice, because "education" is not all that happens in a school environment, unfortunately. And "education" is not all that happens in a home environment, fortunately.
                  Well put.
                  Some drink at the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

Comment

Working...
                  X