Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Pain is NOT Physical

Thursday October 19th, 2006. This is show #209.

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
When [babies] come into existence they are alive to God. And so, a mother kills that baby intentionally. And that baby is aware, is aware of God and...becomes aware that mom or mom and dad didn't want me and killed me. The baby becomes aware of this. And to say that, that baby feels no pain, that is the ultimate in arrogance and ignorance. And it is unscientific.
Summary:

* Lesbian Breast Cancer Risk Factor: From Komen.org: "Lesbians... do have a greater risk of breast cancer than other women... it is linked to several risk factors... [including] never having children..."

* Possible Publisher for The Plot: We'll keep you informed as to the negotiations!

* Pain is NOT Physical: Adapted from the BEL Forum at TheologyOnline.com: Pain and Sentience are Knowledge Based, and Knowledge is Not Physical! ... Pain is not physical. Plants do not have souls (which are non-material), and when you chop down a tree, it does not feel pain (a 60s sci-fi episode not withstanding). Pain is comprehension, it is awareness, and awareness is not physical. Nerve damage can prevent someone from feeling pain from an injury, keeping the signal from reaching the brain. However, the brain itself is an organ that is unable to feel pain! When a doctor cuts in our brain matter, we do not feel pain from that. Pain is non-physical, it is awareness, which is a state of knowledge. You can program a robot to back up suddenly if it bumps into a wall, and even to yell, “Ouch.” But it hasn’t felt pain, because it is only made of atoms and molecules, and can have no awareness. Because pain is inherently non-physical, pain resulting from non-physical causes is dramatically more hurtful than pain resulting from physical stimuli. A paper cut on the eyeball really hurts. A father who will not look his disowned son in the eye is far more painful. Perhaps if you have been abandoned by your parents, you might be able to know the pain felt by the little one who is purposefully rejected by his mother, intentionally killed, by a chemical weapon, the Morning After Abortion Pill, because she didn’t have the time to love him. She called it Plan B. Her dismissal (and yours), of the little one’s ability to feel pain will do little to alleviate it.

* Atheist Clichés Disproved in 8 Seconds: or less!

Atheist Cliché 1: There is no truth!
Theist Rebuttal: Is that true? [1 second]

Atheist Cliché 2: There are no absolutes!
Theist Rebuttal: Absolutely? [1 second]

Atheist Cliché 3: Only your five senses provide real knowledge!
Theist Rebuttal: Says which of the five? [2 seconds]

Atheist Cliché 4: Great suffering proves that a loving God cannot exist!
Theist Rebuttal: The unstated assumption is false, that suffering can have no value or purpose. [4.5 secs]

Atheist Cliché 5: Atheism is scientific, because science does not allow for a supernatural interpretation of an event!
Theist Rebuttal: Such circular reasoning forces science to assume that which atheists claim it supports. [5 seconds]

Atheist Cliché 6: Widespread evil proves that a righteous God cannot exist!
Theist Rebuttal: The two unstated assumptions are false: that love can be forced; and that some love is not worth enduring much hate. [6.5 seconds]

Atheist Cliché 7: If theists claim that the universe could not have always been here, then God couldn’t have always been here either.
Theist Rebuttal: The natural universe is subject to the physical laws, so it would run out of useable energy; a supernatural, spiritual God is not subject to physics. [7.9 seconds]

"If your worldview can be dismantled within eight seconds, then get a better one." -Bob Enyart, adapted from Battle Royale VII, Does God Exist?

Today's Resource: Bob takes on a college professor and her philosophy class in a debate regarding absolutes. Who wins? Watch Get Out of the Matrix to find out!

Granite

Hall of Fame
How exactly would women who don't have kids be at a greater risk for breast cancer?

This kind of pseudo quasi "medicine" and "science" seriously makes me despair the human condition.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Granite said:
How exactly would women who don't have kids be at a greater risk for breast cancer?

This kind of pseudo quasi "medicine" and "science" seriously makes me despair the human condition.
From Komen.org:
Lesbians and Women who Partner with Women do have a greater risk of breast cancer than other women, but it is not because of their sexual orientation. Rather, it is linked to several risk factors and barriers for breast cancer such as never having children and not seeing a doctor on a regular basis. For many women, reproductive health issues are their main link to the health care system. Even when seeing a doctor about reproductive health, other health issues are often addressed, including having clinical breast exams or mammograms. But because fewer lesbians have children and therefore, do not seek routine health care, they may have fewer opportunities to have these important early detection tests for breast cancer. As a result, breast cancer may not be detected as early as possible among lesbians. When cancer is detected at an early stage, it can very often be treated successfully. One step lesbians can take is to find a doctor who is sensitive to their health issues, and to see that doctor on a regular basis - especially for clinical breast exams and mammograms.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think it's odd that lesbians are singled out and heterosexual women who don't have children are not.

What possible sense does that make?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Granite said:
I think it's odd that lesbians are singled out and heterosexual women who don't have children are not.

Because single, heterosexual women who are planning to have children in the future are probably more likely to have annual check ups.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Unlike lesbians who fear stereotypical prejudiced judgment calls.

I guess I'd ask who has the problem: an uptight and bigoted medical establishment, or women in need.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Granite said:
I guess I'd ask who has the problem: an uptight and bigoted medical establishment, or women in need.
The medical establishment is "uptight and bigoted?" News to me.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Why else would lesbians be so hesitant to see a doctor? I don't think gay women are shut ins by nature...

SUTG

Christian Clichés Disproved in 1 Second

Christian Clichés Disproved in 1 Second

Jefferson said:
* Atheist Clichés Disproved in 8 Seconds: or less!

Atheist Cliché 1: There is no truth!
Theist Rebuttal: Is that true? [1 second]

Atheist Cliché 2: There are no absolutes!
Theist Rebuttal: Absolutely? [1 second]

Atheist Cliché 3: Only your five senses provide real knowledge!
Theist Rebuttal: Says which of the five? [2 seconds]

Atheist Cliché 4: Great suffering proves that a loving God cannot exist!
Theist Rebuttal: The unstated assumption is false, that suffering can have no value or purpose. [4.5 secs]

Atheist Cliché 5: Atheism is scientific, because science does not allow for a supernatural interpretation of an event!
Theist Rebuttal: Such circular reasoning forces science to assume that which atheists claim it supports. [5 seconds]

Atheist Cliché 6: Widespread evil proves that a righteous God cannot exist!
Theist Rebuttal: The two unstated assumptions are false: that love can be forced; and that some love is not worth enduring much hate. [6.5 seconds]

Atheist Cliché 7: If theists claim that the universe could not have always been here, then God couldn’t have always been here either.
Theist Rebuttal: The natural universe is subject to the physical laws, so it would run out of useable energy; a supernatural, spiritual God is not subject to physics. [7.9 seconds]

"If your worldview can be dismantled within eight seconds, then get a better one." -Bob Enyart, adapted from Battle Royale VII, Does God Exist?

That isn't the "Atheist Worldview".

aharvey

Granite said:

It's ambiguous wording in action. "At greater risk of breast cancer" does NOT mean, at least where cited here, "at greater risk of getting breast cancer," it means "at greater risk of not detecting breast cancer in its early stages." The distinction is clear in the Komen bit, but gets conveniently lost by those who are hoping to make a somewhat different point.

aharvey

Jefferson said:
* Pain is NOT Physical: Adapted from the BEL Forum at TheologyOnline.com: Pain and Sentience are Knowledge Based, and Knowledge is Not Physical! ... Pain is not physical. Plants do not have souls (which are non-material), and when you chop down a tree, it does not feel pain (a 60s sci-fi episode not withstanding). Pain is comprehension, it is awareness, and awareness is not physical. Nerve damage can prevent someone from feeling pain from an injury, keeping the signal from reaching the brain. However, the brain itself is an organ that is unable to feel pain! When a doctor cuts in our brain matter, we do not feel pain from that. Pain is non-physical, it is awareness, which is a state of knowledge. You can program a robot to back up suddenly if it bumps into a wall, and even to yell, “Ouch.” But it hasn’t felt pain, because it is only made of atoms and molecules, and can have no awareness. Because pain is inherently non-physical, pain resulting from non-physical causes is dramatically more hurtful than pain resulting from physical stimuli. A paper cut on the eyeball really hurts. A father who will not look his disowned son in the eye is far more painful. Perhaps if you have been abandoned by your parents, you might be able to know the pain felt by the little one who is purposefully rejected by his mother, intentionally killed, by a chemical weapon, the Morning After Abortion Pill, because she didn’t have the time to love him. She called it Plan B. Her dismissal (and yours), of the little one’s ability to feel pain will do little to alleviate it.

"Pain is comprehension, it is awareness, and awareness is not physical."
"Pain is non-physical, it is awareness, which is a state of knowledge."

"the pain felt by the little one who is purposefully rejected by his mother, intentionally killed, by a chemical weapon, the Morning After Abortion Pill"

So awareness, knowledge, comprehension, none of these require a brain, nerves, sensory organs? What then do they require?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Lighthouse said:
You can't view anything when you're blind.
That's what would-be psychics, mediums and spell-slingers have told me when I've said they are full of crap.

Why should I make an exception for the entity you venerate?

Johnny

BEL said:
Pain is non-physical, it is awareness, which is a state of knowledge.
you might be able to know the pain felt by the little one who is purposefully rejected by his mother, intentionally killed, by a chemical weapon, the Morning After Abortion Pill, because she didn’t have the time to love him.
Are you arguing that a freshly fertilized embryo is self-aware?

Status
Not open for further replies.