Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob several times specifically recommends that the audience subscribe to “TJ” (Technical Journal), a publication of Answers in Genesis. He says that much of what he is speaking about is from that source.
    Thanks for your post Phy. The Technical Journal is referred to as a "peer-reviewed journal by the AIG here. As we all know, ICR apologized for falling for the April '97 discover article in which Neandertals were claimed to have used "five different types of instruments". Yet, as late as 2004 the "Technical Journal" published an article which still cited the 1997 Discover Joke. Brad Harrub's article "Lunatics, Lucy and a little book for the school library" was published in 2004 in the TJ (TJ 18(3):35–40, 2004). In it, Brad says, "In 1996, however, researchers were forced to re-evaluate their long-held views on Neandertals, due to the discovery of five different types of musical instruments, items of personal ornamentation (similar to our jewelry) and even the first example of a Neandertal cave painting." The discover magazine article was cited to support part of this statement. Brad even goes on to use an argument that AIG says specifically not to use! And this passes for a peer-review journal?

Brad's article is still available online. However, it has been modified and no longer includes the Discover citation. The argument which AIG states shouldn't be used has also been modified. There is no notice of change or correction posted. Instead, it was silently changed without telling anyone. Ironically, the article concludes with "The time has come for the truth to be told."

Here's the current version of the article. The original umodified version can be found here .
    “There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear.” - Daniel Dennett

Comment

Another Archaeological Find Supports the Bible (and the Open View: -ha!)

Biblical Pool Uncovered in Jerusalem, August 9, 2005

Workers repairing a sewage pipe in the Old City of Jerusalem have discovered the biblical Pool of Siloam, a freshwater reservoir that was a major gathering place for ancient Jews making religious pilgrimages to the city and the reputed site where Jesus cured a man blind from birth, according to the Gospel of John.

The pool was fed by the now famous Hezekiah's Tunnel and is "a much grander affair" than archeologists previously believed, with three tiers of stone stairs allowing easy access to the water, said Hershel Shanks, editor of the Biblical Archaeology Review, which reported the find Monday.

"Scholars have said that there wasn't a Pool of Siloam and that John was using a religious conceit" to illustrate a point, said New Testament scholar James H. Charlesworth of the Princeton Theological Seminary. "Now we have found the Pool of Siloam … exactly where John said it was."

A gospel that was thought to be "pure theology is now shown to be grounded in history," he said.

See entire article at: http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...a-home-science

By the way, how does this support the Open View ? Just search for Siloam in the Battle Royale X thread!

-Bob
      The Bob Enyart Live talk show airs at KGOV.com weekdays at 5 pm E.T. Also, same time, same station, check out Theology Thursday (.com) and on Fridays, Real Science Radio (.com) a.k.a. rsr.org. All shows are available 24/7 and you can call us at at 1-800-8Enyart.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Enyart
        Biblical Pool Uncovered in Jerusalem, August 9, 2005

Workers repairing a sewage pipe in the Old City of Jerusalem have discovered the biblical Pool of Siloam, a freshwater reservoir that was a major gathering place for ancient Jews making religious pilgrimages to the city and the reputed site where Jesus cured a man blind from birth, according to the Gospel of John.

The pool was fed by the now famous Hezekiah's Tunnel and is "a much grander affair" than archeologists previously believed, with three tiers of stone stairs allowing easy access to the water, said Hershel Shanks, editor of the Biblical Archaeology Review, which reported the find Monday.

"Scholars have said that there wasn't a Pool of Siloam and that John was using a religious conceit" to illustrate a point, said New Testament scholar James H. Charlesworth of the Princeton Theological Seminary. "Now we have found the Pool of Siloam … exactly where John said it was."

A gospel that was thought to be "pure theology is now shown to be grounded in history," he said.

See entire article at: http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...a-home-science

By the way, how does this support the Open View ? Just search for Siloam in the Battle Royale X thread!

-Bob
        this is really great stuff, but i fail to see how it supports the veracity of the alleged spiritual truth of the bible. it doesn't support the divinity of christ, it does not support the existence of christ, it does not support miracles, it does not support theology, it does not support the resurrection of the dead, etc. what it supports is that the author was aware of the local surroundings. if i wrote a comic book about a local super hero and included the local pool hall, would that mean that the super hero was a true, real life character?
        The most important thing anyone can learn from 1st century greco-roman mystery cults is that complex religious systems can arise and develop without an historical founder.

Comment

It supports the historical veracity, allsmiles. But I don't expect you to understand that since you don't give a rip if your neighbor is raped.
          "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers." -- Jesus, Mt 7:23

Allsmiles is not absolutely sure that raping a women or a baby is absolutely wrong.

ZMan thinks God needs raped babies to be glorified.

Elected4Ever thinks God is a chronic liar

Comment

Originally posted by Rimi
            It supports the historical veracity, allsmiles. But I don't expect you to understand that since you don't give a rip if your neighbor is raped.
            and since Denver, CO existed when Stephen King wrote The Stand, does that mean The Stand is just as historically accurate as the bible?
            The most important thing anyone can learn from 1st century greco-roman mystery cults is that complex religious systems can arise and develop without an historical founder.

Comment

Originally posted by allsmiles
              and since Denver, CO existed when Stephen King wrote The Stand, does that mean The Stand is just as historically accurate as the bible?

No, it's just an example of how people wrongly dispute the Bible's historical accuracy.

Comment

No, it means that Christianity-bashers who have been saying there wasn't a Pool of Siloam have been proven wrong while the Bible has been right (again) the entire time.
                WARNING: Graphic video here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson
                  No, it means that Christianity-bashers who have been saying there wasn't a Pool of Siloam have been proven wrong while the Bible has been right (again) the entire time.
                  who's been saying the pool of siloam didn't exist?

and what exactly does it prove right? that the author had local area knowledge?

how does the existence of the pool prove the theology? how does it prove the divinity of christ? how does it prove the existence of jesus?

Comment

Allsmiles, it proves just what Jefferson said.

Sorry that scares you.

Allsmiles is not absolutely sure that raping a women or a baby is absolutely wrong.

Comment

Jefferson didn't say anything. he said
                      the Bible has been right (again) the entire time.

I asked
                      and what exactly does it prove right? that the author had local area knowledge?

how does the existence of the pool prove the theology? how does it prove the divinity of christ? how does it prove the existence of jesus?
                      there's nothing to be scared of.

Comment

For you, sure there is.

Comment

You have all of the internet to find that there have been people saying this pool didn't exist since it wasn't anywhere to be found. Therefore, they claim, the bible must be full of other inaccuracies, even the story of Jesus. This has been a main way to attack Jesus' claim, this silly pool. Well, now it's found. If they can claim all that without the pool, Jefferson gets some leeway now that it's found.

Bug off.

Comment

Originally posted by Rimi
                            You have all of the internet to find that there have been people saying this pool didn't exist since it wasn't anywhere to be found. Therefore, they claim, the bible must be full of other inaccuracies, even the story of Jesus. This has been a main way to attack Jesus' claim, this silly pool. Well, now it's found. If they can claim all that without the pool, Jefferson gets some leeway now that it's found.

Bug off.
                            listen, i've never used that tactic, and i never would. i am not attacking, i'm asking simple questions, i answered all of your questions, now reciprocate.

how does the discovery of the pool verify the divinity of christ? how does the discovery of the pool verify the existence of jesus? how does the discovery of the pool verify your theology?

Comment

The pool proves the existence of a context and a place. That is all.

What's funny is that Protestants sniff at the "superstitious" Catholics with their relics, then trip over themselves pointing at historical finds like this pool. Kettle, meet pot.

Of itself, the pool's discovery is historically interesting but does not prove a thing.

Comment

how does the discovery of the pool verify the divinity of christ? how does the discovery of the pool verify the existence of jesus? how does the discovery of the pool verify your theology?
                                We aren't claiming it "verifies" it but we are claiming that it supports our claim of the historical accuracy of the Bible which is one of the main things skeptics try to disparage in order to try to disparage the historical figure of Jesus Himself.
                                WARNING: Graphic video here.

Comment

Working...
                                X