This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Graphite View Post
    ...I have a sneaking suspicion that it can.
    I truly hope for Bob's sake that it can't.
    "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Originally posted by elohiym View Post
      If the user could not know what the output was the software would be useless.
      Based on what has been discussed, I think it is.

And if it could output that, all that matters is that someone (a bad guy) could understand the output.

That would compromise national security.
      I suppose.

Comment

• When will we get to see this software in action?
        "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

If the user could not know what the output was the software would be useless.
          That's a great point.

As the software generated page, after page, after page, many of those pages would go unnoticed unless an actual intelligent being was reviewing and monitoring them. (that would obviously slow down the process and possibly make it far less valuable)

And furthermore....

Assuming there is a cure for cancer and assuming that the software would eventually display the cure, it wouldn't help us much unless there was someone there to recognize it as a valid solution, because obviously the software wouldn't know to tell us "hey you should take note of this page".

So it seems to me that the software could be a very real thing yet still only be beneficial in hypothetical ways.

Certainly fun to ponder.
          Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
          TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

• It would also display a large number of cures for cancer that didn't work, and you'd have no way of knowing which was real and which one wasn't. Which amusingly is one of my main problems with religion/the lack of it.

Comment

• I wonder if it would come up with a proof for God's existence.

Comment

• Originally posted by kmoney View Post
                I wonder if it would come up with a proof for God's existence.
                If it did, how could we know the proof was true?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrRadish View Post
                  If it did, how could we know the proof was true?
                  It would tell us.

And no one would be able to refute it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knight View Post
                    That's a great point.

As the software generated page, after page, after page, many of those pages would go unnoticed unless an actual intelligent being was reviewing and monitoring them. (that would obviously slow down the process and possibly make it far less valuable)

And furthermore....

Assuming there is a cure for cancer and assuming that the software would eventually display the cure, it wouldn't help us much unless there was someone there to recognize it as a valid solution, because obviously the software wouldn't know to tell us "hey you should take note of this page".

So it seems to me that the software could be a very real thing yet still only be beneficial in hypothetical ways.

Certainly fun to ponder.
                    There might be a problem with that if it is based on the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.
                    The very act of reviewing and monitoring the output of Display.exe could change what will be displayed due to waveform collapse....
                    Learn to read what is written.

_____
                    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
                    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Comment

• Originally posted by kmoney View Post
                      It would tell us.

And no one would be able to refute it.
                      Since when was people not being able to refute something adamant proof of its veracity?

Comment

• I don't buy any of this. I'm an adisplayist.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrRadish View Post
                          It would also display a large number of cures for cancer that didn't work, and you'd have no way of knowing which was real and which one wasn't.
                          That was the exact point I just made.

Which amusingly is one of my main problems with religion/the lack of it.
                          Let's not get off-track but you are dead wrong in your thinking.

Here's why...
                          Every individual is able to review all the evidence and make our own judgment regarding the truth of God (some accept it some reject it). There is valid evidence and invalid evidence, there is valid arguments and INVALID arguments for God's existence. None of that nullifies that ultimate truth does exist.

Case in point...
                          Bob's program would display testimony from OJ Simpson for the Nicole Brown murder.

Bob's program would also display FALSE testimony from OJ Simpson for the Nicole Brown murder.

The fact that conflicting testimony exists, doesn't nullify the fact that a true version of the testimony exists.

Truth exists regardless of our ability to recognize it. It is our obligation to review the evidence and make important judgments about truth based on the evidence at our disposal.

That's why you would never hear me state: "I reject evolution because there are too many theories as to how evolution works". While it's true I reject evolution as a valid theory, it isn't because there isn't a unified explanation of evolution.
                          Last edited by Knight; December 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM.
                          Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
                          TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

• The only possible way that Bob's program could work is by displaying only one true and correct copy of whatever software or book one was seeking to have using the software.

Comment

The only possible way that Bob's program could work is by displaying only one true and correct copy of whatever software or book one was seeking to have using the software.
                              Well, if you insist on limiting its capabilities, Elo, but it sounds like that's not how Bob's amazing invention works. Besides which, as someone pointed out, that's already been done. This goes way beyond that.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Graphite View Post
                                Well, if you insist on limiting its capabilities, Elo...
                                In this case, less would be more.

If I want the program to output the source code for Microsoft Word, but it gives me more than one result, when only one result can possibly be the actual source code for Microsoft Word, then I am forced to figure out which output is the actual source code. Me having to do that, or to hire someone that can do that, renders the software completely useless.

Comment

Working...
                                X