ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
No, I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about. Calvinist do not believe that God foreknows the future because He's seen the future but because He predestined the future.

This is an ignorant synopsis of the Calvinist view.

God knows all things because He is omniscient.

"Foreknowledge" has more to do with whom God has intimately loved and chosen to create in the Person of His Son, Jesus Christ.

It is the Arminian who believes in what is termed "simple foreknowledge" which is exactly what you seem to be putting forward as your position.

Obviously, Clete does not comprehend the Arminian view any better than he does the Calvinist view. The Arminian view, is that God's foreknowledge of who will choose to believe in His Son for salvation, is the basis of election unto salvation . . .which is totally erroneous.

Election is not based upon foreknowledge. Foreknowledge is based upon election.

Calvinists would insist that God predestined who makes which "choice" and actively causes them to do so.

You are sadly mistaken. Calvinists establish none of their doctrines upon human "choice." It is the Arminians who believe that God predestines according to foreknowledge of human choice.

See above quotation of Martyr. There is no moral implication to an action unless there was an ability to do otherwise.

Justin Martyr is an inconsistent source when it comes to establishing a sound, biblical theology. For example, Martyr indulged in pagan speculations regarding the office and activities of angels, and of course (contrary to Scripture), advocated the false philosophy of free and uncorrupted human will. (Shades of Pelagius!)

Justin Martyr also testified that Socrates and Plato were Christians, so there goes the OVT criticism against Calvinists as being unduly influenced by other pagan philosophers. :)

The Calvinist, however, would insist that no such choice exists. A servant of Satan is precisely what God's sovereign decree commanded that he would be. There was no choice in the matter.

Not quite so . . . The Calvinist says that God ordains to leave reprobates to die as the result of their sinful obeisance to sin, death, and the devil.

Double Predestination has less to do with ordaining souls to Hell, as it has to do with God mercifully and graciously rescuing souls from the fate they deserve because of volitional unbelief and sin.

If free choice is illusionary so is the justice of God.

Ugly, and blasphemous statement.

There is no such thing as "free" choice, but the justice of God is sure!

And no, I don't want to NOT have a choice to sin.

This is exactly the original sin of Adam. God gave Adam all things, but the choice to sin. Adam was not free to sin. The devil lied to Adam, and told Adam he was indeed free to sin. Adam liked that lie. And Adam tested that premise.

And now you repeat the same heart attitude.

Shocking!

In that you reveal and expose yourself to yet be the natural son of Adam, and continue to oppose God's restriction to sin, under the Law.

Shocking . . . that you would slip so badly and publically acknowledge your corruption!

Without the ability to reject God, my love for Him is meaningless.

If I were not a lady, I would label this as B.S.

You exhibit you possess NO LOVE for God; else you would never consider rejecting Him.

No man is "free" to reject God. No man is "free" to disobey God. No man is "free" to break God's eternal Law.

And yet, you make this the basis of your beliefs?

You sir, are an anti-christ and false teacher of the highest degree.

Loving God would have no more moral merit than when water turns to steam in a shower.

May God perhaps still forgive you your foolishness and extreme blasphemy.

What I think is that you don't really know what Calvinism is vs. what Arminianism is, nor what it really means to have a free will. You seem to have them all meshed together into something that is about a thousand times more complex than it should be.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Speak for yourself, you poor, destitute creature . . .

Nang

Lon

What I think is that you don't really know what Calvinism is vs. what Arminianism is, nor what it really means to have a free will. You seem to have them all meshed together into something that is about a thousand times more complex than it should be.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Well, I guess I was wrong about you appreciating those points.

You are correct, I'm moving from an Arminian background to a much more Calvinist understanding, so that assessment is correct. Complicated? Sure, I'll buy that, I don't buy into the lattest craze, but seek the scriptures. It takes me time. Some move rather quickly in their theology. I'm a very slow mover because I believe God must direct my theology and He also moves slowly in this process. I believe in education, a one year class isn't sufficient for such matters. I spent 4 years in Seminary and still I'm working out my theological stance. For the most part, I'm very Presbyterian in my theology at the moment, but I'm progressing further still in my Calvinist understanding. All this to say, you are right, I've never said otherwise, my theology is in process away from Arminianism.

Lon

If free choice is illusionary so is the justice of God. And no, I don't want to NOT have a choice to sin. Without the ability to reject God, my love for Him is meaningless. Loving God would have no more moral merit than when water turns to steam in a shower.

Resting in Him,
Clete

So God is not moral? How can your thinking extrapolate this? God is perfect and does not change nor can He sin. Are you saying that you must have choice for morality? This 'robotic' theme you guys keep drumming needs a second look.
Were Adam and Eve robots 'before' they chose sin? Isn't it something that we are seeking to become that 'robotic' nature once again? I long for that place. I don't ever want to be tempted by sin once that part of me is erradicated. It is a choice to be 'robotic' in my response to God. I don't care if I ever have a freewill choice again if it means sinning.

The fact of the matter is that the things of God matter to me. If I am or become a 'robot' good for me, but you are wrong, I've always been cognizant, I've wanted to be like Him since I was found by Him at age 7. Being perfectly in His will is not a robotic existence, it is purposeful meaningful existence. It is what it means to be truly alive. We are dead in our trespasses until Christ comes to us. Nothing has meaning. Sin is the robotic existence of meaningless purposeless existence. Morality is being in the center of God's will. There is nothing wonderous about my sin nature that contrasts to show real love. Real love was sent to us. The absence, not contrast, of sin is where love truly is. I do not have to sin to show my parents I love them. It is by repeated acts of goodness that I show them I love them, sin only clouds the issue. If I never sinned or had a choice to do so, it would in no way diminish love. Love is the absence of sin, not the contrast to it. It's erradication, not it's comparative.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
There is a big difference between limited proximal foreknowledge (Peter prediction) based on perfect past and present knowledge and remote (from trillions of years ago) exhaustive definite foreknowledge of all future free will contingencies.

Evoken

I know this is the ECT forum, but I would just like to add a few comments.

No man is "free" to reject God. No man is "free" to disobey God. No man is "free" to break God's eternal Law.

I think you misunderstand what Clete is saying here. The thing is, do we choose to believe in and obey God freely? If we do, then we do so because we can also reject God freely (I am not saying this is good, im refering only to the act itself). If we could not reject and disobey God freely, then we could not choose him freely either. The ability to do one, presupposes the ability to do the other.

Do you think people can choose/reject God freely or do you think God chooses people instead and that people have no say in the matter?

I am not an OVer but I don't think Calvinism is a coherent doctrine.

Evo

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
This is an ignorant synopsis of the Calvinist view.
You knew this statement was false when you made it Nang.

You are a liar and need to repent.

God knows all things because He is omniscient.
This statement is tautologous.

Go ahead Nang, look up the word so you can follow the conversation.

"Foreknowledge" has more to do with whom God has intimately loved and chosen to create in the Person of His Son, Jesus Christ.
Both the Calvinist and the Arminian believe in EXHAUSTIVE Divine Foreknowledge. According to both groups, His foreknowledge is not limited in any respect.

Obviously, Clete does not comprehend the Arminian view any better than he does the Calvinist view.
Lie number 2 Nang. You really should remember that I am not as new here as you are and these people already know what I am and am not familiar with.

The Arminian view, is that God's foreknowledge of who will choose to believe in His Son for salvation, is the basis of election unto salvation . . .which is totally erroneous.

Election is not based upon foreknowledge. Foreknowledge is based upon election.
Which is precisely what I just said to Lonster. God's foreknowledge is not based on His merely having witnessed the future, as the Arminian believes but rather is based on His having predestined the future. You application of that position to the specific issue of salvation (i.e. election) doesn't negate my more general statement of the position.

You are sadly mistaken. Calvinists establish none of their doctrines upon human "choice." It is the Arminians who believe that God predestines according to foreknowledge of human choice.
Do you know how to read Nang? That is exactly what I said! The whole reason I put the word 'choice' in quotes is precisely because the word has no meaning in the Calvinist worldview. Every so called "choice" we make, according to the Calvinist, wasn't a choice at all but was predestined and caused to happen by God Himself. This point is what gave Augustine such fits over the theodicy issue.

Go ahead Nang! Look these terms up so you don't fall behind.

Justin Martyr is an inconsistent source when it comes to establishing a sound, biblical theology.
I would never use Justine Martyr as a source to establish any theology.
I would however use him as well as many others to establish the fact that no Christian alive prior to Augustine believed anything other than that we have a free will.

Justin Martyr also testified that Socrates and Plato were Christians, so there goes the OVT criticism against Calvinists as being unduly influenced by other pagan philosophers. :)
Nang, you really should read a book on how to use sound reason. The argument you've made here takes the following basic form.

Justin believed X, Y and Z
X and Y are false.
Therefore Z is false.

No Open Theist that I know of has ever made such an argument against Calvin or Augustine or anyone else for that matter. Calvinism isn't wrong because it's Greek, its wrong because it is unbiblical and irrational. The fact that it is Greek is only evidence to support that contention and reason to investigate the issue in detail.

Not quite so . . . The Calvinist says that God ordains to leave reprobates to die as the result of their sinful obeisance to sin, death, and the devil.

Double Predestination has less to do with ordaining souls to Hell, as it has to do with God mercifully and graciously rescuing souls from the fate they deserve because of volitional unbelief and sin.
Double talk.
Do you or do you not believe that everything that happens was predestined by God before time began? If you do not then you are not a Calvinist.

Clete said:
If free choice is illusionary so is the justice of God.
Ugly, and blasphemous statement.

There is no such thing as "free" choice, but the justice of God is sure!
Saying it doesn't make it so Nang. Words mean things and unless one has the ability to do otherwise no moral implications exist for any action and thus reward or punishment of that action is unjust by definition.

This, by the way, is an excellent example of how the Calvinist forfeits God's justice and righteousness (same thing) in order to maintain his power and control. The Calvinist always defaults to granting God's quantitative attributes precedence over His qualitative attributes, whereas the open theist does the reverse. Nang will respond to this comment by saying that she gives neither precedence over the other but her statement here is proof to the contrary. The only way the Calvinist has of even giving lip service to God's justice is by two means. First, they redefine the term "justice" and or "righteousness" (which in the Hebrew is the same word, by the way), and second they pull out the antinomy card and say that the contradiction is only apparent and that it is beyond our ability to reconcile but give no evidence that this is so. They simply make the claim and accuse people of being impious if they question it.

This is exactly the original sin of Adam. God gave Adam all things, but the choice to sin. Adam was not free to sin. The devil lied to Adam, and told Adam he was indeed free to sin. Adam liked that lie. And Adam tested that premise.
You are not only a liar Nang, you are a complete fool. You twist the Scripture to fit whatever wacky point pops into your convoluted excuse for a mind. It was God who put that Tree in the midst of the Garden, not Satan nor Adam. It was God who gave Adam the choice and told him which to stay away from. Satan merely tricked Eve into choosing wrongly and then Adam willfully decided ON HIS OWN, to follow her into rebellion.

Deuteronomy 30:19 I [GOD] call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I [GOD] have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;​

And now you repeat the same heart attitude.

Shocking!

In that you reveal and expose yourself to yet be the natural son of Adam, and continue to oppose God's restriction to sin, under the Law.

Shocking . . . that you would slip so badly and publically acknowledge your corruption!
You are insane Nang. You really need to repent. The longer this goes the more I begin to wonder whether you are even saved. How can you be saved if you do not even understand the nature of sin and thus your need for a savior?

Clete said:
Without the ability to reject God, my love for Him is meaningless.
If I were not a lady, I would label this as B.S.
You just did you idiot.

You exhibit you possess NO LOVE for God; else you would never consider rejecting Him.
I never said that I would consider rejecting him. PLEASE learn to read or else find another hobby.

And yes millions will be punished for doing exactly that. Your god is unjust.

And yet, you make this the basis of your beliefs?

You sir, are an anti-christ and false teacher of the highest degree.
:rotfl:

You are certifiably insane Nang.

Deuteronomy 30:19 I [GOD] call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I [GOD] have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;​

May God perhaps still forgive you your foolishness and extreme blasphemy.
My foolishness and extreme blasphemy, if it exists, was predestined by God before time began, you blithering idiot. There is therefore nothing for God to forgive. I am only doing that which He decreed that I must do.

Speak for yourself, you poor, destitute creature . . .

Nang
Hypocrite! My comment wasn't even directed at you in the first place.

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. Lonster, Your last post asks some excellent questions. I'll respond as soon as time allows.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Lonster: Morality is being in the center of God's will. There is nothing wonderous about my sin nature that contrasts to show real love. Real love was sent to us. The absence, not contrast, of sin is where love truly is. I do not have to sin to show my parents I love them. It is by repeated acts of goodness that I show them I love them, sin only clouds the issue. If I never sinned or had a choice to do so, it would in no way diminish love. Love is the absence of sin, not the contrast to it. It's erradication, not it's comparative.

Excellent words that bear repeating . . .

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I know this is the ECT forum, but I would just like to add a few comments.

I think you misunderstand what Clete is saying here. The thing is, do we choose to believe in and obey God freely? If we do, then we do so because we can also reject God freely (I am not saying this is good, im refering only to the act itself).

Hello Evoken,

I do not misunderstand Clete at all. And to answer your question, the answer is "no," sinners do not choose to believe and obey God freely. This is because they are unable to do so. And the reason all sinners are unable to believe God and/or obey God, is because of the original sin of Adam, that threw the entire human race into enslavement to serving the sin, death, and the devil.

All humans have a will to make choices, but because we are sinners, and the devil is our master, our wills are in bondage to serving him alone. We are not free to do the things of God. We are not righteous in ourselves, but only inclined to do evil.

That is the condition of the human race, and the reason God sent His Son as Savior. For only Jesus Christ is righteous and only Jesus Christ was able to perfectly obey God under the Law. Jesus did this on our behalf, and also paid the death sentence hanging over us, so that our sins could be removed, and His righteousness put on our record. He did for us what we could never will to do for ourselves. That is the amazing grace of God and how any man is saved.

If we could not reject and disobey God freely, then we could not choose him freely either. The ability to do one, presupposes the ability to do the other.

This would be logical and true, if we did not live under the Law of God. But the Law of God sets limits to what we can choose to do. The Law of God says that we cannot disobey God, without dying. All of us live under the justice system of God, and we cannot live lawlessly.

The devil came to Adam and Eve, and lied to them. He told them they could indeed live lawlessly, and ignore the commands of God. He told them they would not die for doing so. They listened to him, disobeyed God's Law, and died. The devil still comes to men and women, telling the exact same thing. He lies and tells sinners they are not subject to the Law of God, but still have the right to reject God, if they will. Some people listen to that lie, reject God, and they die.

The preaching of "free" choices is actually the lie of "lawlessness." There is no such thing as being able to choose to break God's Law without receiving the ultimate punishment . . .death.

And yet this is the message preached in most churches these days. The gospel of "free-will" salvation. Grace received according to human will, rather than the sovereign will and choice of God. And multitudes are spiritually perishing because this devilish lie is still being proclaimed by many sons of perdition:

"For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work . . ." II Thessalonians 2:7

"The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not love the truth, that they might be saved." II Thessalonians 2:9&10

These Scriptures have been given by inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, to warn sinners of the Satanic lie of lawlessness; that encourages men and women to believe they can live their own lives, their own way, apart from being initially regenerated by the Spirit of God; enabling them to walk in the will and Word of God.

Yes, we live in the age of grace since the coming of the Savior Jesus Christ. However, His righteousness was achieved under the Law; perfectly fulfilling all God's Law. Never once did Jesus desire to not do the will of His Father. That concept was not in Him or a part of His thinking, for Jesus was without such sin.

His achievement of righteousness is ours, when we look to Him to be right with God, and not ourselves. We trust that we are accepted with God, under the Law, because Jesus Christ abode by the Law of God on our behalf. We are brought into Covenant and spiritual union with God, lawfully, through the faithful obedience of Jesus Christ and His righteousness alone.

Nang

Do you think people can choose/reject God freely or do you think God chooses people instead and that people have no say in the matter?

Here is the biblical answer:

"For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will." John 5:21

It is according to the will of the Son, who is to be saved and rescued from bondage to sin, death, and the devil. Slaves cannot will to ransom and free themselves. Sinners are only saved by the grace of God in Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Open Theists believe God is omniscient and knows all things that are knowable. We differ as to what are possible objects of knowledge. God correctly knows reality as it is. Contingent choices are not settled, so they are known as possible, not actual. When they become actual, God knows them as such. When they are possible or probable, that is how an omniscient being would know them.

God does not know where Alice in Wonderland is right now because this is a logical absurdity and is not a possible object of knowledge. This does not mean God is ignorant of something He should know or that He is not omniscient. He correctly knows this as a work of fiction, not as a real person.

Likewise, omnipotence means that God does all that is doable. It does not mean that God makes square circles or married bachelors (logical absurdities, not limitations on omnipotence).

Evoken

And to answer your question, the answer is "no," sinners do not choose to believe and obey God freely. This is because they are unable to do so. And the reason all sinners are unable to believe God and/or obey God, is because of the original sin of Adam, that threw the entire human race into enslavement to serving the sin, death, and the devil.

Since we are all sinners, then it follows that nobody chooses to believe and obey God freely. The reason why they can't is because God has not allowed them to do so, right?

The devil still comes to men and women, telling the exact same thing. He lies and tells sinners they are not subject to the Law of God, but still have the right to reject God, if they will. Some people listen to that lie, reject God, and they die.

So, we are free to obey the devil but we are not free to obey God?

The preaching of "free" choices is actually the lie of "lawlessness." There is no such thing as being able to choose to break God's Law without receiving the ultimate punishment . . .death.

I am not concerned with the consequences of the action, my only concern is the action itself.

Grace received according to human will, rather than the sovereign will and choice of God.

Bottom line is then: God is the one who decides who believes in and obeys him. Humans have no say in the matter. Right?

Evo

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Since we are all sinners, then it follows that nobody chooses to believe and obey God freely.

Belief in God was and remains a command. Belief in God is a MUST, if one wants to live. Believing is not a choice, but the Law of God, but because of the original sin of Adam, no man or woman is born believing in God.

The reason why they can't is because God has not allowed them to do so, right?

The reason they can't is because sin has thoroughly corrupted all people. Also, mankind is cursed by God and condemned for their unbelief. God did not cause Adam to sin, so the blame is placed on Adam for this corruption and accursed state of the world:

"Therefore, just as through one man, sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned." Romans 5:12

So, we are free to obey the devil but we are not free to obey God?

We are enslaved to serving the devil. He became the master of mankind, when Adam believed his lie over the command of God. The will of mankind is not free to do otherwise, unless rescued and ransomed by God from this slavery.

Man was never designed to function freely and autonomously, but was created to serve his Maker and Master. Adam rebelled against his design, and became less free in nature, than he was as created.

I am not concerned with the consequences of the action, my only concern is the action itself.

Which action? Your's or God's?

Bottom line is then: God is the one who decides who believes in and obeys him. Humans have no say in the matter. Right?

Evo

Right.

Faith to believe in God comes from God. It is a gift of His grace, if He so chooses to save.

Sinners are totally dependent upon the grace of God to escape slavery to sin, death, and the devil.

Sinners cannot save themselves, or choose to believe in God, without first being changed by God, spiritually. Jesus taught:

". . Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see (comprehend) the kingdom of God." John 3:3

This spiritual "rebirth" comes ". . through the word of God which lives and abides forever." I Peter 1:23

"So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing, by the word of God." Romans 10:17

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:8

Nang

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
No time for editing; Please ignore any typos! Thanks!

So God is not moral? How can your thinking extrapolate this?
My thinking? It's the Calvinist who's positions lead this conclusion not mine! It is the ultimate argument against Calvinism! If Calvinism is true, God is not only unjust, He is not morally good. Without choice there is no morality. If God is not able to do otherwise then it is perfectly meaningless to refer to Him as being morally good.

God is perfect and does not change nor can He sin.
The Bible does say that it is impossible for God to lie. But it also says that He sent angels to be lying spirits and He rewarded people for righteously lying, even to the point of causing one woman who told a lie to be within the lineage of the Messiah.

So then, does the Bible contradict itself or are your presuppositions blinding you to what is being taught when the Bible says it is impossible for God to lie when it clearly is not?

Where you even aware of the fact that it was possible to righteously lie?

Are you saying that you must have choice for morality? This 'robotic' theme you guys keep drumming needs a second look.
That is precisely what I am saying and what the term "morality" presupposes. Words mean things Lonster; you cannot just ignore the meaning of a term or make up definitions as you go. When people use a word there is a certain concept they are communicating and we don't get to just decide that we don't like that definition and make one up that suits our worldview. If that were a valid way to proceed then no truth claim could ever be falsified. All you'd have to do to refute any argument is simply redefine terms until all the contradictions go away. That's isn't rational nor is it Biblical.

Were Adam and Eve robots 'before' they chose sin?
Huh?

No, they weren't.

Isn't it something that we are seeking to become that 'robotic' nature once again?
What?
No! Absolutely not! I am being transformed into the image of Christ so that I don't sin, not because I can't sin but because I don't want to sin. This is why it is impossible for God to do something unrighteous. It isn't because He can't act in a way that is not in the best interest of others but its because He doesn't want to! He's is the all powerful God! Who is going to make God do something that He does not want to do? God does not want to do evil and it is therefore impossible for Him to do so because He cannot be compelled to act against His own will.

I long for that place.
Talk about a position that needs a second look! You must think this through again Lonster! Seriously! You just said, in so many words, that you long to render your obedience to God meaningless! Whether or not that is what you intended to say, which I'm sure it wasn't, that is the meaning behind the words you just spoke!

If you owned a robot and you programmed it to carry a box across the room and it did so flawlessly, do you suppose that it deserves a reward for it "obedience"? Does the word obedience even apply? NO! It doesn't! It wasn't being obedient to you, it was simply mindlessly carrying out a set of instructions that it didn't even know were instructions. Your robot carrying a box across the room is only just a very complicated version of your having set up a bunch of dominoes and then knocking the first one over. Simple cause and effect, no mind, no will, no choice, no moral implication whatsoever.

I don't ever want to be tempted by sin once that part of me is erradicated.
Of course! Neither do I! It isn't about being tempted its about being able to do or to do otherwise. Righteousness is not about being unable to sin and therefore always doing rightly. Being godly is about doing rightly, not because you can't do wrong but because you want to do rightly and therefore choose to do so. I've never once been tempted to rape anyone nor can I conceive of a circumstance where I ever would be and yet in spite of the fact that the temptation isn't there I understand that I am capable of committing that sin. I don't and won't ever commit that sin, of course, but not because I can't but because I don't want to!

It is a choice to be 'robotic' in my response to God. I don't care if I ever have a freewill choice again if it means sinning.
Don't you get it? Sinning is meaning also if you do not have free will! Both the moral and the immoral are equally meaningless of we cannot do otherwise.

The fact of the matter is that the things of God matter to me.
Why?

That might come off as a frivolous question but I assure you that it is not. Why do such things matter to you Lonster? Do they matter only to you or do you suppose that they would matter even if you didn't exist? Do the things of God, righteousness, justice, love, etc., have meaning outside of your mind and apart from any context within which you reside? What if Lonster didn't exist? What would it mean to love your neighbor?

I hope you see the point of those rhetorical questions. It is simply vital that you do. The point is that the things of God really do matter and they would matter even if neither of us were around to experience them. This is what I mean when I constantly repeat the fact that words mean things and that ideas have consequences. You simply cannot go around redefining the meaning of words and hope to retain a rationally coherent worldview. I've even seem some presuppositionalists try to redefine the term "rational worldview" in order to keep from having to reject Calvinism. They effectively redefined "rational" to mean "Calvinism". Nang, by the way, would almost certainly agree with anyone who attempted such a thing, as might AMR although I not as sure about him as I am her.

If I am or become a 'robot' good for me, but you are wrong, I've always been cognizant, I've wanted to be like Him since I was found by Him at age 7. Being perfectly in His will is not a robotic existence, it is purposeful meaningful existence.
I agree! But such a stance is not compatible with the Calvinist worldview. You don't get to have it both ways Lonster. Either everything you do is predestined or you get to choose what you will and will not do. The former render everything meaningless - everything.

It is what it means to be truly alive. We are dead in our trespasses until Christ comes to us. Nothing has meaning. Sin is the robotic existence of meaningless purposeless existence.
You are contradicting yourself Lonster!

The word sin implies morality. Morality is meaningless in a robotic existence thus it is impossible to sin in such an existence. It is equally impossible to anything righteous because that too implies morality. So the statement "Sin is the robotic existence of...." has within it an inherent contradiction. It is a text book stolen concept fallacy.

Morality is being in the center of God's will.
If so, then God Himself is not moral! If this is the definition of morality then to say that God is moral is a tautology. It's no more informative than to say that red is red. You can say that a car is red with meaning only because the car itself does not define the word red.

Morality, or more precisely "Righteousness" is rightly defined by the current description of God's character. The word "current" is vitally important and should not be overlooked in that definition.

There is nothing wonderous about my sin nature that contrasts to show real love.
I never suggested otherwise. God does not have a sin nature and yet loves us very much indeed.

Real love was sent to us. The absence, not contrast, of sin is where love truly is.
Again, I never suggested otherwise. I did not say that sin must exist in order for love to be meaningful or for evil to exist in order for righteousness to be meaningful. You are reading things into what I say that are not there.

I do not have to sin to show my parents I love them.
No but you must be ABLE to reject them for your love to have any meaning. Notice that I did not say that you must reject them, I said that you must be ABLE to reject them. Do you see the difference?

It is by repeated acts of goodness that I show them I love them, sin only clouds the issue.
Acts of goodness would be meaningless if you could not do otherwise. I'm not saying that you must actually do otherwise for your good acts to be meaningful but only that you must be able to do otherwise.

If I never sinned or had a choice to do so, it would in no way diminish love.
If you hadn't thrown in "or had a choice to do so" then this statement would be correct, as it is, you've only implicitly contradicted yourself and committed yet another stolen concept fallacy.

Love is the absence of sin, not the contrast to it.
Both actually but given the point you are making, yes, I agree completely.

It's erradication, not it's comparative.
Hopefully you see now that I never suggested otherwise.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
How come you keep asking this? Nang already addressed it. What is the problem in your mind? What answer are you looking for that didn't get answered?
Nang failed. He didn't even answer the question. All He said was that God didn't need to change. That isn't what I asked.

Here is a better question: Does an omnipotent God who is perfect need to change anything? No. Not for Him. For us sure, we are powerless to save ourselves and have shown we are the ones who need His omnipotence. We cannot save ourselves, so any change is due to our need, not His. God has no need, He is self-sufficient. Omnipotence alludes to immutability. You understand this with a rich man, he has everything he needs. What do you buy the man who has everything? A card. You cannot better his situation, he's untouchable, in a sense, immutable (in a fleeting grass-withering sort of way). But the point is, one supports the other, I do not understand your confusion.
I thought it was only a broken clock that never moved, and did not change. So you are saying a perfect God who is obviously more perfect than a working clock [understatement] does not need to change? And the question I asked was whether or not He could, and if He can't, what does that mean in regard to His omnipotence...

Can you answer that question?

Let me simplify: Can an immutable [unable to change] being be omnipotent [able to do anything]?

Lon

Nang failed. He didn't even answer the question. All He said was that God didn't need to change. That isn't what I asked.

I thought it was only a broken clock that never moved, and did not change. So you are saying a perfect God who is obviously more perfect than a working clock [understatement] does not need to change? And the question I asked was whether or not He could, and if He can't, what does that mean in regard to His omnipotence...

Can you answer that question?

Let me simplify: Can an immutable [unable to change] being be omnipotent [able to do anything]?

If a clock isn't broken, does it change? No, it keeps time, but the same clock on my dresser has been working the same way for 7 years now. It has no need to change. The only change I see in it is a variable for me. It wouldn't care whatsoever if it stayed on 3:39 for the rest of eternity. The only reason the clock displays this sequence is for me. I say again, God is perfect. Nothing needs to change in Him to be perfect. What we see in God is perfect quality and eternal duration. Eternal here is not sequence. There is no change in perfect, what could be fixed? The "Can God write a new song?" question is from our limited understanding. He is so vast that every song is and always has been within Him. God is not bored if He knows everything. We have a drive to learn. We have a drive to change. We have a need to be greater than we are. God has nothing to learn, change, and cannot be greater than He already is. 'He' is the measure by which all else is compared to. There is nothing more than Him. He is all, and in all (Col.1).

Your question has been asked before in another form "Can God make a rock He cannot pick up?" The question is faulty. The question is logically wrong, like asking if I can be both celebate and married.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If a clock isn't broken, does it change? No, it keeps time, but the same clock on my dresser has been working the same way for 7 years now. It has no need to change. The only change I see in it is a variable for me. It wouldn't care whatsoever if it stayed on 3:39 for the rest of eternity. The only reason the clock displays this sequence is for me. I say again, God is perfect. Nothing needs to change in Him to be perfect. What we see in God is perfect quality and eternal duration. Eternal here is not sequence. There is no change in perfect, what could be fixed? The "Can God write a new song?" question is from our limited understanding. He is so vast that every song is and always has been within Him. God is not bored if He knows everything. We have a drive to learn. We have a drive to change. We have a need to be greater than we are. God has nothing to learn, change, and cannot be greater than He already is. 'He' is the measure by which all else is compared to. There is nothing more than Him. He is all, and in all (Col.1).
You're an idiot. When a clock goes from 3:39 to 3:40, that is a change, moron. A clock needs to change to work. If it does not change from one time to another, it is not working, and it is either broken, or the energy source is broken.

And, again, I never asked if God needed to change. That was not the question. I want to know if God can be immutable [unable to move] and omnipotent [able to do anything], at the same time. Can a being be able to do anything, and unable to move or change, at the same time? This is not about need or necessity, it is about ability.

Your question has been asked before in another form "Can God make a rock He cannot pick up?" The question is faulty. The question is logically wrong, like asking if I can be both celebate and married.
Of course God cannot create a rock so heavy He cannot lift it. My question does not even fall into the same category.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
You're an idiot. When a clock goes from 3:39 to 3:40, that is a change, moron.

If I was your mother, I would wash your mouth out with soap . . .you and Clete, both.

You approach adult discussion like six-year old brats.

Nang
(not impressed)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If I was your mother, I would wash your mouth out with soap . . .you and Clete, both.

You approach adult discussion like six-year old brats.

Nang
(not impressed)
And my mother thinks you're an idiot, too.

I'm being civil here. Moron was the nicest thing I could think of to say.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
If a clock isn't broken, does it change? No, it keeps time, but the same clock on my dresser has been working the same way for 7 years now. It has no need to change. The only change I see in it is a variable for me. It wouldn't care whatsoever if it stayed on 3:39 for the rest of eternity. The only reason the clock displays this sequence is for me.
This intentionally ignores the point. No one suggests that the clock changes what it is, but merely that by virtue of the fact that it is an animate object, it does, by definition, change in some way. It does not change for the better or for the worse it simply changes position or display from one moment to the next as its nature insists it must do.

The point about the clock is about disproving the validity of Aristotle's argument about why God must be immutable.

I say again, God is perfect. Nothing needs to change in Him to be perfect.
Unless He is animate! Do you believe that God is an inanimate object? I don't! I think, in fact I'm pretty sure that the Bible teaches that God is alive and personal and loving. Can you present an example of any inanimate object which has these attributes?

See what I mean about subjugating God's qualitative attributes to His quantitative ones? You do it all over the place, as do all settled view believers.

What we see in God is perfect quality and eternal duration.
Umm, excuse me. That's my line. Duration is time and God is qualitatively perfect in every respect thus the perfect God exists within time.

Eternal here is not sequence. There is no change in perfect, what could be fixed?
In what way does it follow logically that a change must necessarily be in order to fix something or to make it better?

No Calvinist has ever even made an attempt to answer that question for me. If you try, you will be the first. I've asked it perhaps a hundred times and so far it has gone universally ignored even by those who claim to possess a rational worldview.

The "Can God write a new song?" question is from our limited understanding.
In what way?

You just rendered every truth claim unfalsifiable.

Jesus was a Martian!

Prove it wrong Lonster!

Everything you say against that ridiculous truth claim will be met with, "Well, that's only so from our limited understanding."

He is so vast that every song is and always has been within Him.
Lonster! Look man, you really need to slow down and think stuff like this through before you say it. You just blasphemed! Don't believe me?

Has the following song always been within God?

Link to the most perverted song I could find - DON'T READ IT!

God is not bored if He knows everything. We have a drive to learn. We have a drive to change. We have a need to be greater than we are. God has nothing to learn, change, and cannot be greater than He already is. 'He' is the measure by which all else is compared to. There is nothing more than Him. He is all, and in all (Col.1).
I don't really have an argument with this except to say that from a quantitative point of view God's greatness is increased with every righteous act that either He or any one of His creatures performs.

In what way is Lighthouse's question the logical equivalent to "Can God make a rock He cannot pick up?" I agree that if they are equivalent that lighthouse's question is invalid but in what way does lighthouse's question commit a logical fallacy?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Status
Not open for further replies.