ARCHIVE - You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARCHIVE - You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar

There is this overriding theme on this forum about how Christians should deal with other Christians and/or non-Christians.

It wasn’t long ago I was in a family discussion. My brother in-law and I were witnessing to another member of the family. The discussion was rather uncomfortable at times, as discussions like that often are. The next day yet another member of my family called me on the phone to inform me that he didn’t approve of the conversation that had transpired the night before, he told me… "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar ya know". He was saying in effect what many on this very forum assert in that Christians should be less judgmental, less confrontational and more tolerant of those who reject Christ.

The saying... "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar ". Is most likely true. I think you actually can catch more flies by pouring out a container of honey onto your back patio than you can by leaving a jar of vinegar or your back porch.

So maybe my friendly relative was right! Maybe I should witness to people using his mantra … "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar ".

Except……

Flies are pests that you want to die.

When you catch flies with honey you don’t wash them off and set them free, you leave them in the honey like you do with fly paper in an effort to kill them so they will no longer land on your kitchen table or try to eat your peanut butter and jelly sandwich or bother you when you are napping.

I don’t want my friends and family to die like flies in honey, I want them to live! Live forever!

Why would I want my friends and family to get STUCK in the honey and then die in their sin?

Did Jesus ever say anything like…… "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".?

Jesus said…
    "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men."
    Salt is nothing like sugar (or honey for that matter.) Salt, is much more like vinegar! Jesus didn’t say "You are the sugar (or the honey) of the earth…." He made a point to say "salt"!

Jesus called some people "Vipers" , He called others "swine" He even made His own whip and chased people with it! Are those things more like honey, or more like vinegar?

Some might bring up (in opposition to what I am saying) when Jesus said
    "But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you"
    So how can we be salt yet love our enemies? Well maybe the answer lies in how we perceive "love". Maybe its not loving to allow your family and friends to die in honey. The Bible says…
    ‘You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him."
    Wow, did you get that? It would be hateful to NOT rebuke your sinning neighbor!

Jesus said "If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him." It doesn’t get anymore clear than that does it? Can you really rebuke someone with honey? Jesus did some REAL salty rebuking in Matthew 11:20 - no honey there!

The Bible says…
    Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear. - 1 Timothy 5:20
    Is it really possible to rebuke in a nice way (with honey so to speak) so that others may fear???

Of course there is always room for gentle consultation when there is ample time or when the sin in question is not of a serious nature. But for the most part I would assert that honey, more often than not, keeps people "stuck" in their sin and is hateful. Harsh rebuke is salty and therefore much more Christ-like and loving.

You can indeed kill more pests with honey but if you don’t want to allow your friends and family to get stuck and die you might want to try salt!
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Knight,

Do you hear the far off sounds of bells, pealing out "DUNG, DUNG, DUNG"

Kiwimac

Comment

INMHO, I think we should witness with our deeds first. I remember when I was just saved and was a zealous babe in Christ, I couldn't shut up. Needless to say, no one wanted to listen, to them I "cought religion". It took years of trying and struggling to live according to what I preached, I now have a theory that actions are louder than words, and we should witness with the way we live, I think it was Ghundi who said "My life is my mission". We can preach to people who come to listen to the preaching vilunteraly, but not do the "intervention" style technique, especially in the family gatherings. Let your family see God in you, you can't fail. ONLY MY OPINION.
      God can live anywhere in the universe, but He chose ... your heart.
      Anon

Comment

Kate thank you for responding!

Kate you say...
        INMHO, I think we should witness with our deeds first. I remember when I was just saved and was a zealous babe in Christ, I couldn't shut up. Needless to say, no one wanted to listen, to them I "cought religion".
        What biblical case can you make for your statement? I am just curious because I can't seem to remember God telling us to worry if people would listen or not.

You continue...
        I think it was Ghundi who said "My life is my mission". We can preach to people who come to listen to the preaching vilunteraly, but not do the "intervention" style technique, especially in the family gatherings. Let your family see God in you, you can't fail. ONLY MY OPINION.
        Did you mean Ghandi? He wasn't a Christian.

I do agree we should be a light and be a living testimony but I also think we need to be more salty!

Comment

Im sure quoting Ghandi isn't going to get much points in this Forum. Besides why do those who claim not to judge, judge more harshly than those who claim we should. Reminds me of King David after killing Uriah and sleeping with Bathsheba screamed for "Godly JUSTICE and VENGENCE" on the man who unrightly took anothers lamb.
          I wonder how many people judge and complain if those men who went into the WTC buildings insisting that they should evacuate may have been harsh and abrupt about getting out. Some may have been told things they didn't like and had to actually stop what they were doing.
          How much greater is Hell than a burning building yet if you are not PC and even hurt someone's ego you are the enemy and not the watchman how should be recieved. Seems incompetent. Just imagine the Fireman running out of the WTC building yet saying nothing expecting everyone to follow, or a night watchmen that rather than ring the Town Bell jumped off his post and evacuated expecting everyone to do the same. What good is an alarm that doesn't ring? Or for this Threads sake, a picture of a jar of honey is the closest thing to honey as most flies get when it comes to personal evangelism.

Comment

Ephesians 4:11

11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers,

I keep looking for "couch-potatoes and internet junkies" but it is not even in any manuscripts.

Joking aside, I do believe that we are to witness, but I do think that not all are called to be evangelists. Some are called to witness by living their lives but not being afraid to share when the time is right.

However, all are called to be ready to answer the call, to make disciples.
            For Greek conversion,

Comment

Jaltus.....ditto!

1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Comment

Jaltus you write...
                Joking aside, I do believe that we are to witness, but I do think that not all are called to be evangelists. Some are called to witness by living their lives but not being afraid to share when the time is right.
                I agree for the most part, but I would say the time is almost always right, wouldn't you?
                Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. - 2Timothy 4:2

Comment

Originally posted by Knight
                  Kate thank you for responding!

Kate you say...Did you mean Ghandi? He wasn't a Christian.

I do agree we should be a light and be a living testimony but I also think we need to be more salty!
                  Okay, to the best of my knowledge and memory, it's spelled "Gandhi" not "Ghandi". I'm open to being wrong, but that's the only way, apart from this board, that I've ever seen it spelled.
                  "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

--Ben Franklin

Comment

I agree with Jaltus. I think that everyone is called to do different things. Some have an exceptional gift to witness and evangelise, some have the gift of teaching, some simply prove Christ's Love through the lives that they lead. It doesn't mean you are less Christian because you don't do all of these things.

I am able to witness to those who have questions, but don't believe I should openly evangelise just yet. I do not have the knowledge to do so. I would probably do more harm than good. But I can serve God by living a good example. One day He may call me to witness more often, and I will answer that call.

Now, if one were called to witness, etc., and ignored that call, then I think there would be a problem.

Comment

Projill majoring in the minors again are we???

Comment

I don't know much about what Jesus did before his ministry, but I do know a lot of what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Projill

Okay, to the best of my knowledge and memory, it's spelled "Gandhi" not "Ghandi". I'm open to being wrong, but that's the only way, apart from this board, that I've ever seen it spelled.
                          You very well could be right!

Comment

Amazing Grace writes…
                            I agree with Jaltus. I think that everyone is called to do different things. Some have an exceptional gift to witness and evangelise, some have the gift of teaching, some simply prove Christ's Love through the lives that they lead. It doesn't mean you are less Christian because you don't do all of these things.
                            I agree 100% But that isn’t really my point.

You continue…
                            One day He may call me to witness more often, and I will answer that call.
                            OK, fine… but when, and if that day comes will you use the mantra "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". Or will you be willing to be a little salty!

Comment

Originally posted by goose
                              I don't know much about what Jesus did before his ministry, but I do know a lot of what he said.
                              And your point was????

Comment

Working...
                              X