Death Penalty And The Bible

C

cattyfan

Just as an aside, why were people always sentenced to be "hanged by the neck until dead?" Isn't "hanged by the neck" sufficient, as I doubt they would be "hanged by the neck until very uncomfortable" or "hanged by the neck until you are in pain and mostly dead."

It seems redundant.

dotcom

Originally posted by servent101

In our society people need to respect life - There are two ways to try - one is insane - if you kill someone you will be killed - this does not teach people respect for life - and States in America that try this only end up with more people killing more people - It is statistically proven that when the death penalty is introduced - the number of people killing people goes up -

Yes servent101, respect for life. So the murderer is automatically excluded in this " respect" - he just took someone's life!! So in essence you are saying some members of society will respect human life while others will not. So the best punishment and education for those who don't is to show them" respect for life" by locking them up for life. Doesn't that defeat the purpose for your argument?

servent101

dotcom

Doesn't that defeat the purpose for your argument?

The purpose of my argument is to present a 'reality' that in tokays culture to stop horrible acts from happening we need to commit to the sacredness of life as a society - and not kill people for the mistakes they make.

I agree that it is better for the criminal to be killed - that this will do more for that particular individual - as long as killing them gets them to repent - which it usually does: but what effect does this capital punishment have on the masses? - I am suggesting that on the masses if we would choose to respect life that there would be less people at large who would murder someone when they were tempted.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

adajos

Aussie (and/or Servant101):

Fair point (about the kidnapping) but killing is a final solution.. where does kidnapping leave you as a means of individual punishment or retribution ?

Your question is irrelevant to the issue we were discussing-society imprisoning criminals doesn't seem to teach people that confining against one's will is fine, just as executing murderers does not teach that killing is ok. So the idea that capital punishment shows that murder is ok has now been discredited. So let's not trot that false idea out anymore.

You're shifting to another objection to the death penalty--that is, the possibility of executing an innocent person. I will discuss this objection to the death penalty with you as well.

Answer me this: do you believe that one innocent person killed is one too many, and thus grounds for making the death penalty illegal?

Servant101:

It is statistically proven that when the death penalty is introduced - the number of people killing people goes up -

I'd very much like to see the study that proved this---I highly doubt it.

So what is the second way to try to get people to respect life - Humanely treat a murderer - in jail - let them live out their life behind bars in a humane way - this teaches us that we respect the right of all people to life - and when someone in our society is hurt by another - so angry that they want to kill him or her - they have this example to stop them from killing someone - that we as a people have decieded to respect the life of everyone - no matter how henus of a crime they commited.

You say putting a murderer in prison, rather than killing them, shows that we respect life. I say just the opposite---leaving a murderer alive shows that we do not respect life, because we are giving him opportunity to kill again. Prison guards and other inmates are likely victims. Further, life without parole is seldom that--many prisoners are freed to kill again amongst the general population--and prison escapes are not unheard of either.

The death penalty is simply not a deterant.

Incorrect. At the very least it is a deterant under some circumstances. For example, let's say you committed a crime that carries a penalty of life in prison without parole, and is not a capital crime---perhaps armed robbery. Let's say further, that the many policemen show up during the commission of your crime and you flea justice with your ill-gotten gains. If there is no death penalty in your state of residence, then what good reason could you give for not killing cops in an effort to escape? None--you have already committed armed robbery and will be punished with LWOP, the toughest penalty your state can impose. You actually have a positive incentive to kill cops in such a case.

On the other hand, if you commit that crime in a death penalty state, especially somewhere where they don't hesistate to use it, you will think twice before killing a cop whilst escaping and greatly increasing the penalty for your actions.

Most Americans do not want the death penalty.

Also incorrect. Every poll I've ever heard of says exactly the opposite.

dotcom

Originally posted by servent101

...and not kill people for the mistakes they make.

Well, quite a number of states still carry the death penalty. Some criminals escape by declaring insanity or mental retardation. Do you think "mentally retarded" people should get the death penalty?

I agree that it is better for the criminal to be killed - that this will do more for that particular individual - as long as killing them gets them to repent - which it usually does:

...but what effect does this capital punishment have on the masses?

Deterrence. Most murderers would choose to kill for luxurious life sentence in prison than to do it for capital punishment.

I am suggesting that on the masses if we would choose to respect life that there would be less people at large who would murder someone when they were tempted.

Murder has been going on since man was created.
Is there a point where humans will choose to respect life without sin?

Grutch

I bow to your words of wisdom bagels and lox, please enlighten us some more!

Perhaps I'll help elaborate our most intelligent bagels and lox suggestion by posting the following clip I found from searching the web...

In the time of Noah and the great flood, God spoke and said,

"Whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed;" - Genesis 9:6

And at the time when God was giving His law to Moses and His people, He said these things:

"He who strikes a man so that he dies shall surely be put to death." - Exodus 21:12

"And he who strikes his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." - Exodus 21:15

"He who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surely be
put to death." Exodus 21:16

"If men fight, and hurt a woman with child, so that she gives birth prematurely, yet no harm follows, he shall surely be punished accordingly as the woman's husband imposes on him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. But if any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe." - Exodus 21:22-24

"Moreover you shall take no ransom for the life of a murderer who is guilty of death, but he shall surely be put to death." - Numbers 35:31

"So you shall not pollute the land where you are; for blood defiles the land, and no atonement can be made for the land, for the blood that is shed on it, except by the blood of him who shed it." - Numbers 35:33

God also tells us what happens when there is no swift death penalty for capital crimes:

"Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil." - Ecclesiastes 8:11

God shows his anger when He speaks and says,

"And will you profane Me among My people for handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread, killing people who should not die, and keeping people alive who should not live, by your lying to My people who listen to lies?" - Ezekiel 13:19

Grutch

Many people fear a just society becasue they in their own hearts are evil and are terrified of the thought of being truly punished for the crimes they commit. When justice is not served, people will seek justice by their own hands.

Flogging should be punishment for many crimes commited. It is an effective humiliating deterrant.

Restitution should be paid out the the victims of a crime rather than to the state which immorally squanders it. Can anybody provide an argument as to why we don't do this in our current system?

-Grutch