Changed by TOL

Katie

But I am learning on TOL, that not everybody agrees with me on that.

And in the reality of life, each one has a right to his/her beliefs and what they do or do nbt agree with. I can't make everyone agree with me, and even if I could ... that would not make for a very great life in the long run. ;) We live and we learn ... yes. I am just interested in something different than others are here I think. That is not to say I do not find value in discussion with others here, and rather I am just re-thinking my own perspectives on/in life.

zippy2006

Many people have said many things which I agree with and won't repeat for whatever reason :eek:

TOL allowed me to fashion an anonymous theology and then see where it fit, which helped a lot as far as objectivity goes. It also gave me the chance to discuss readings and understand them more fully with the help of a number of perspectives.

And I really like the members, I've gained a lot of friends. My move to Christianity was made while active on TOL, and that is very much connected to the people here and the way the Christians present themselves. I think that fact is often understated, and always try to remember it :mmph:

:e4e:

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Many people have said many things which I agree with and won't repeat for whatever reason :eek:

TOL allowed me to fashion an anonymous theology and then see where it fit, which helped a lot as far as objectivity goes. It also gave me the chance to discuss readings and understand them more fully with the help of a number of perspectives.

And I really like the members, I've gained a lot of friends. My move to Christianity was made while active on TOL, and that is very much connected to the people here and the way the Christians present themselves. I think that fact is often understated, and always try to remember it :mmph:

:e4e:

But isn't TOL pretty integrated into your life? I mean, for me, I have a hard time knowing when and where and how I learn things. I'm constantly changing and everything is held responsible for that. But then again, I'm the only one truly responsible for my action, or for changing, but sometimes we have a hard time knowing what things influences us and which things don't. TOL is just a drop of water stuck in the ocean we're swimming in. It's like the time when somebody touched Jesus in the crowd. Jesus felt power coming out of him and he asked who touched him. The disciples giggled, "Everybody's touching you." (Disclaimer, this has nothing to do with Jurassic Park)

Everybody is touching us, too, like the Jesus crowd, when the sick girl touched Jesus, so, everybody is influencing us, but then TOL is like that little girl that touch Jesus, and like Jesus, we sometimes can notice when TOL was the one that truly touched us like none other.

taikoo

I dunno if it has changed me. Hope so. I dont think Im as full of anger and need to vent and take it out on others as i was. I hope not.

And I made friends, with some people I started out with a very intense dislike.

zippy2006

But isn't TOL pretty integrated into your life? I mean, for me, I have a hard time knowing when and where and how I learn things. I'm constantly changing and everything is held responsible for that. But then again, I'm the only one truly responsible for my action, or for changing, but sometimes we have a hard time knowing what things influences us and which things don't. TOL is just a drop of water stuck in the ocean we're swimming in. It's like the time when somebody touched Jesus in the crowd. Jesus felt power coming out of him and he asked who touched him. The disciples giggled, "Everybody's touching you." (Disclaimer, this has nothing to do with Jurassic Park)

Everybody is touching us, too, like the Jesus crowd, when the sick girl touched Jesus, so, everybody is influencing us, but then TOL is like that little girl that touch Jesus, and like Jesus, we sometimes can notice when TOL was the one that truly touched us like none other.

True enough, but it really did get me thinking about theology and put me into dialogue with others who have differing and well formed thoughts on the subject. That sort of thing was rather limited in my life before TOL.

zippy2006

I dunno if it has changed me. Hope so. I dont think Im as full of anger and need to vent and take it out on others as i was. I hope not.

And I made friends, with some people I started out with a very intense dislike.

What is that in your picture anyway? I default to a cheese wonton :D

You are good at making lemons out of lemonade. ...Or something like that :eek:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How many of you would say that you have changed...

...theologically, politically, etc....

...since you have been an active participator on TOL.

Changed? I can post this, it is good for me to be here. It helps me to remain patient, stay the course; to stand for what I believe in, that always be the truth will prevail, that it is not about me but others, because others matter. I have found a home and I'm comfortable with that. Others have caused me search the scriptures, some to see things from their side, whether I agree or disagree.

Changed? Yes. It makes me look at myself and say, remember you have to live you. So I strive to be kind, loyal and a friend. For that I'm thankful.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What was that movie quote...?

"I see idiots. Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're idiots."

:think: That's not quite right, I'm thinking, but it's close. ;)
:chuckle:

I love that film. :D

Do you think you've changed in any way, Stripe? Have you lived in Taiwan for the entire time that you've been on TOL?

Y'know, I'm not sure who introduced me to TOL, but I have the strange recollection that a lecturer at bible college in NZ mentioned the place and Godisnowhere.com saying they would challenge us...

But I can't be certain of that...

Anyway .. yes. TOL has changed me. It's pointed me toward Jesus and the bible more than any other resource has. :thumb:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I've also learned more about the atheist perspective and I tend to get along with atheists more so than Christians. It used to bother me greatly that my husband is an atheist but I really don't care anymore. I'm not sure if this had something to do with TOL or if it was just a natural progression. I honestly think the atheistic viewpoint is entirely logical it's just not my own viewpoint. I still don't like Hitchens. He's annoying and rude.
I just watched a debate with Hitchens in it within the last two weeks. He may have even changed his perspective on an issue in the middle of the debate. He thinks... but I think he thinks he has it right as much as anyone can.

Cracked

I've become a better debater and more biblically literate. I appreciate what Knight has constructed here. I've "met" some people I genuinely like and would probably enjoy being friends with outside of cyberspace.

Politically, I am more conservative than I used to be. However, I now know that I will (almost assuredly) never fully embrace conservativism. I've seen a very ugly side of it here, and it is repulsive to me. Politics in general has become more unappealing to me by and large, as I find that it is often incompatible with my understanding of the Christian faith.

Theologically, I have come to appreciate MAD and exchange life theology more, but I do not fully accept either of them. I do find some truth in them, but not enough to warrant claiming it as the exclusive truth as so many do.

I have also found that those who claim to be posses the exclusive truth among Christians are often times those who are least Christlike in many ways. Spiritual fruit is often nonexistent in their communication (at least insofar as you can judge on a message board - so that is problematic for sure). You'd think that they would find this ironic, but it seems to make absolutely no difference to them, as they condemn their Christian brothers and sisters straight to hell for even slight (and sometimes significant) theological differences.

I have found that I am not above becoming a hateful person myself, at times.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How TOL changed me:

Before I joined I wore the identifier, Messianic Jew, even though I had not attended a Synagogue for 8 years. I have been identified as such for 15 years. There just wasn't one in the towns where I lived when I moved from Colorado. So my husband took the family to Baptist churches. The Calvinism and the liberalism there really did not win my heart. The American Baptist Church in Lincoln Nebraska was a turn off. The pastor preached tolerance of homosexuality. What I had seen of Gentile Christianity just did not impress me. I was even more turned off by it when I started modding another debate site and was exposed to the 'Emergent' movement. My theology has pretty much been the same all of my life. The kind of church where I was raised, I just cannot find anymore. The problem has been finding the right fit in terms of identifier.--Then along come TOL, something completely new in the way of a website. Its not ooey gooey namby pamby like other debate sites that put Christians in time out for saying homosexuality is a perversion. I can even say the homosexuality should be put back in the criminal category and not get squashed like a bug by the Admins. I found others like myself that wore the tag Christian. I learned on here that the term “Bible Believing Christian” is the best description of how I believe. This site has also helped me put names on what I believe.

I am a
6 day Creationist,
Young Earther,
MAD-ist
Open Theist
Exchanged Lifer
and a Theonomist.

Now you haters out there can throw your tomatoes. :rolleyes: