Ye must be born again !

beloved57

The Spirit of Life is because of Righteousness !

Rom 8:10

10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

The Lord Jesus Christ, the Last Adam was made a quickening Spirit unto all for whom He represented, and did satisfy God's Law and Justice in behalf of 1 Cor 15:45

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam[Jesus Christ] was made a quickening spirit.

As the Elect received their physical life from the first adam, so they receive their Spiritual life from the Last Adam.

Now all for whom Christ acted in the capacity as a Mediator Head, to them Righteousness has been Imputed, and all to whom this Righteousness has been Imputed, the Spirit is directed by the Mediator Head to give Life to them, because of Righteousness. Where there is Righteousness the result is Life Prov 11:19

As righteousness tendeth to life: so he that pursueth evil pursueth it to his own death.

Prov 12:28

In the way of righteousness is life: and in the pathway thereof there is no death.

Rom 5:17

For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Now because of His Righteousness Imputed to them, Life is their reward and due, not for their sakes, or anything they acted, but on account of Christ's active obedience being imputed to them as their Righteousness Rom 8:2

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

All for whom Christ Jesus died, have been set free from death by the Law for their sin and accounted Righteous, and so as proof of the same, they receive the Spirit from Christ which quickens them to Life !

Last edited:

Quirkybird

Having been subjected as a child to the horrible 'born again' dogma, I think it nasty and abusive. The crazy idea that a person like Hitler can supposedly make a deathbed conversion and get waved through the pearly gates, yet a good atheist would go to hell, is not only unpleasant, it is evil!

SaulToPaul 2

The crazy idea that a person like Hitler can supposedly make a deathbed conversion and get waved through the pearly gates, yet a good atheist would go to hell, is not only unpleasant, it is evil!

How is it evil?

neither one deserves to go to heaven

beloved57

Because of the depravity of man !

Because of the depravity of man by nature, and its so bad, its called spiritual death or being spiritually dead, and hence in order for him [generically] to make any act Godward or towards God like Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

He would have to be born again. Jesus makes it clear here Jn 3:3-5

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Or he would have to be born anew, or quickened / made alive, begotten again 1 Pet 1:3, or given new life by the Spirit, or he cannot see or enter the Kingdom of God.

The word see in Jn 3:3 greek word Eido, it means :

to see to perceive with the eyes
to perceive by any of the senses
to perceive, notice, discern, discover
to see i.e. to turn the eyes, the mind, the attention to anything
to pay attention, observe
to see about something 1d

i.e. to ascertain what must be done about it to inspect, examine
to look at, behold
to experience any state or condition
to see i.e. have an interview with, to visit

to know to know of anything
to know, i.e. get knowledge of, understand, perceive

Its a mental/spiritual perception, not physical seeing with the physical eye gate, but its comprehending spiritual realities with the heart. Unless man is given a celestial birth from above,he will never have a heart that understands the Truths about the Lord Jesus Christ and His Cross, nor ears to hear it, because of mans corrupt nature, the things of God and His Son are beyond his ability to understand; and not until a New Birth from above, into that Kingdom, Zion man cannot receive with understanding its Gospel Mysteries Matt 13:11-13

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Last edited:

beloved57

Because of the depravity of man ! 2

In speaking on the subject of being born again, Jesus uses the analogy of birth for a good reason simply because as it is in a man's physical birth, likewise the New Birth from above is not something the man does to or for himself, yet its something done unto him, man is totally passive and did absolutely nothing to cause it or bring it about, his will was not needed or consulted at anytime, neither did he make a decision about it ! John summed it up Jn 1:13

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

of His own will James 1:18

18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

The begetting of us by His Own Will is a Gift from above James 1:17 The Gift is not something offered for ones acceptance, but something done for one in a Sovereign manner !

The New Birth is what is called a benefaction, its a Gift in that respect. A benefaction means:

an act of conferring a benefit; the doing of good; a good deed

Now being Born again is all God's Will and decision and purpose, not the one whose going to be born, neither does God force anyone to be born again, as much as He did not force anyone to be born physically ! Even that life is a Sovereign Gift !

Now Listen ones Spiritual Birth is of God's own will in the same manner as Isaac was to Sarah and Abraham. Now God promised them a son Gen 18:10,14

10 And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.

14 Is any thing too hard for the Lord? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.

Now whose will was it that Isaac would be born ? Whose will determined it ? Was it Isaacs will or decision that he be born ? Did God force Isaac to be born ? Was it even Abraham's and Sarah's will that Isaac be born ?

Gen 21:1-2

And the Lord visited Sarah as he had said, and the Lord did unto Sarah as he had spoken.

2 For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.

That word bare means to :

I.to bear, bring forth, beget, gender, travail

The same Idea as in James 1:18

18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

And as we saw with Issac's birth by the will of God, so it is with all who shall be born of the Spirit or born again,in fact all believers are as Issac was to Abraham, Children of Promise Gal 4:28

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

Gal 3:29

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

This means that believers in Christ come to be in the same manner as Isaac became Abraham's son, by God's promise to Abraham !

And this entails being born again after the Spirit as Isaac was Gal 4:28-29

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

Last edited:

beloved57

Because of the depravity of man ! 3

This is more on why the New Birth is of necessity to believe the Gospel. What religionists do not realize is that Faith or believing in Christ in a Gospel conversion experience, that having understanding is a must. Remember what Jesus said about the different soils which represented the hearts, on which the word or the Gospel is sown ? Notice that the only one that had a positive fruitful conversion result was this one Matt 13:23

But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Yes Hearing and Understanding go together in Hearing the Gospel. Remember Jesus stated once Jn 8:43

Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.

Yes the one which hears the word and understands it brings forth fruit of Faith.

You see we believe with and understand with the heart Rom 10:9-10

9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Now also we must understand with the Heart for conversion Jn 12:40

He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

This verse definitely points out the need to understand with the heart to be converted ! See Matt 13:15 also to this point !

The word converted means change as in change ones mind which is repentance !

Last edited:

beloved57

Because of the depravity of man ! 4

We have seen that in conversion, Faith and Repentance, Gospel hearing, that understanding is a must Matt 13:23 and without it, there cannot be any conversion as described in Rom 10:9-10, for there simply is no believing in the heart and with the heart without understanding.

Now scripture is quite clear in informing us that man by nature, the natural man, the unregenerate man al of them are without understanding Read Rom 3:11

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Mine you, the word understaneth is the same greek word for understandeth in Matt 13:23

23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

That should tell us something about the one in Matt 13:23, the good ground hearer with understanding ! Its a born again person with a new heart !

As you can see the indictment of the natural man in Rom 3:11, nor does he seek after the True God which is actually the same word used in Heb 11:6 when identifying Faith that pleases God Heb 11:6

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

This should tell us something to ! That the one seeking God is also not a man by nature, but an born again one, because none by nature seek God according to Rom 3:11 !

Now this is spiritual understanding we are referring to, and by nature we do not understand. Eph 4:18 our understanding is darkened by nature, and so in this spiritual condition by nature we are not capable of believing in a conversion experience the Gospel of God. Its only if we have been born again that Gospel Preaching is going to convert us, but if its preached just to the natural man, its worthless as to conversion, and it conversion is not even possible, unless its a counterfeit one ! That's why all for whom Christ died, He gives them New Birth to prepare them for Gospel Obedience and Conversion !

Last edited:

beloved57

Ye must be born again.

Jn 3:7

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Now who shall be the subjects of Regeneration or New Birth or Quickening, for they are all the same Blessing and indicative of New Life; But who does the scripture as the subjects of this New Life or New Birth ?

First they are the Elect of God 1 Pet 1:2-3

2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

They are the objects of His Great Love Eph 2:4-5

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

Those whom Christ redeemed are subjects of New Birth again 1 Pet 1:18-19

18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

These redeemed with the precious blood are said to have been begotten again by the Resurrection of Christ from the dead back in Vs 3, which correlates with Eph 2:4-5

He quickens those who are dead Eph 2:1,5

And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

For if one was not dead, as many religionists falsely believe, then they needed not to be made alive !

Last edited:

beloved57

To be given a Spirit of Obedience !

By nature, all men, to include the elect themselves, are given and are energized by a spirit of disobedience/ unbelief Eph 2:1-3

And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

This is an undeniable fact ! All the Elect of God due to the fall in adam, God consigned them all [jew and gentile elect] to disobedience or as it is called unbelief here Rom 11:32

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

The word unbelief here is the greek word apeitheia and means:

I.obstinacy, obstinate opposition to the divine will

And its Translate 3 times in the NT as disobedience : One here Eph 2:2
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: G543

And we all are under the control of that spirit while in a spiritually dead state of unregeneracy.

Now in the New Birth, God gives the redeemed a Spirit of Obedience, that's conducive to obeying God's Will !

The Prophets of old foretold it Ezk 36:25-27

25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Notice, after putting His Spirit in them it causes a different walk as opposed to the walk in the flesh [Eph 2:2] by the spirit of disobedience, but this Spirit causes them to walk in God's statutes, judgments and do them or obey them !

Peter knows that those who are obeying have been given the Spirit as projected in Ezk 36:27 when He writes here Acts 5:32

32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

The obeying of God is an evidence of having been given the Spirit that causes obedience as Per Ezk 36:27

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Folks it cannot be made more plainer that this is the fulfillment of that prophecy !

Peter again states that Obedience is the result of the Spirit here 1 Pet 1:2

2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Again, this is describing what was foretold here Ezk 36:26-27

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

To do them, means to perform them, to comply with them, to act them, to behave them !

Paul preached the same doctrine, that the Spirit causes Obedience to the Truth 2 Thess 2:13

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Or obeying the Truth as Per Gal 3:1

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Gal 5:7

Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

or obey the Gospel of Truth 2 Thess 1:8

In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

And unfortunately, but according to God's Will of purpose, none can obey the Truth unless energized by the Spirit of Truth, a Spirit of obedience given in New Birth, because before New Birth, we only are being energized by the spirit of disobedience Eph 2:2

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

To produce obedience, God gives the Spirit of Obedience in New Birth Ezk 36:27

Last edited:

beloved57

Ye must be born again !

Jn 3:7

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

And this means for one, that we must be in Christ as His Seed, when He was raised from the dead, after having been delivered to death for the sins of His Seed Isa 53:10 ; 1 Pet 1:3; Rom 4:25; New Birth can only be ours through that means; In other words there had to be a Union with Christ when He died, was buried, and was raised again; and its that Union with Him that ensures our being born again, and thats part of the Gospel 1 Cor 15:3-4 !

Just as Christ, the Head was raised from the dead, so likewise, shall His seed walk in newness of Life Rom 6:4

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Which newness of Life comes from being begotten again by the Resurrection of Christ from the dead 1 Pet 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

The word begotten again is the greek word anagennaō and means:

I.
to produce again, be born again, born anew

II.
metaph. to have one's mind changed so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God

Thats the newness of Life indicated in Rom 6:4

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Thats describing New Birth, so in other words, everyone Christ died for, because of their Union with Him when He died and rose, should be born again into Newness of Life !

Truster

John 3:7

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

When Jesus told Nicodemus that except a man be born again he cannot see [perceive] the Kingdom of God as per vs 3

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

In essence, what Jesus meant, except ye are of that seed in Me, by being Chosen in Him before the foundation of the World [Eph 1:4] ye cannot see or understand the Kingdom of God, which is to include it's Gospel, The Gospel of the Kingdom or of the Kingdom of God. Matt 24:14

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Mark 1:14

Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,

Which are also the Kingdom Mysteries Luke 8:10

And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

Now, even though Jesus was giving a condition " except ye be born again ", yet He was not giving a imperative or duty for one to perform to become born again; because there is nothing a person can do to be born; even if it was for us to go back into our mothers womb, [ which its not] how could we accomplish that ? Could we make ourselves fetuses again ? Would that be in our ability ?

But nevertheless, Christ meant what He said in stating that 'Ye must be born Again " !

The term used in the original is not ''again'', but above.

Truster

Its both foolish person, Now review the points I made in the post with me to see if you understood them !

I got as far as ''born again'' and no further. The fact you use the term means you either don't understand the doctrine behind the words or that you don't care about spreading false interpretations. Either way I wouldn't waste the time of day reading your tailored dogma.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned

From another thread:

"Born Again" the Bible Way

By Tim Staples
http://www.catholic.com/blog/tim-staples/born-again-the-bible-way

"Have you been born again, my friend?" Thousands have been asked this question by well-meaning Christians. Of course, by "born again" they actually mean: "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior through the recitation of ‘the sinner’s prayer?’" How is one to respond?

The simple response is: "Yes, I have been born again—when I was baptized." In fact, Jesus’ famous "born again" discourse of John 3:3–5, which is where we find the words "born again" in Scripture, teaches us about the essential nature of baptism:
Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God." Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?" Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
When a Fundamentalist or Evangelical hears the Catholic position on the matter, the response is mostly predictable: "Baptism does not save you, brother; John 3:5 says we must be born of water and the Spirit." The Catholic will then be told the "water" of John 3:5 has nothing to do with baptism. Depending on the preference of the one to whom the Catholic is speaking, the "water" will either be interpreted as man’s natural birth (the "water" being amniotic fluid), and "the Spirit" would then represent the new birth—or the water would represent the word of God through which one is born again when he accepts Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior.

Amniotic Fluid vs. Baptismal Water

To claim that the "water" of John 3:5 is amniotic fluid is to stretch the context just a smidgen! When we consider the actual words and surrounding context of John 3, the waters of baptism seem to be a more reasonable interpretation of what it means to be "born again." Consider these surrounding texts:
  • John 1:31–34: Jesus was baptized. If you compare the parallel passage in Matthew’s Gospel (3:16), you find that when Jesus was baptized, "the heavens were opened" and the Spirit descended upon him. Obviously, this was not because Jesus needed to be baptized. In fact, John the Baptist noted that he needed to be baptized by Jesus (see Matt. 3:14). Jesus was baptized in order "fulfill all righteousness" and "to give knowledge of salvation to his people in the forgiveness of their sins" (cf. Matt. 3:15; Luke 1:77). In other words, Jesus demonstrably showed us the way the heavens would be opened to us so that the Holy Spirit would descend upon us—through baptism.
  • John 2:1–11: Jesus performed his first miracle. He transformed water into wine. Notice Jesus used water from "six stone jars . . . for the Jewish rites of purification." According to the Septuagint as well as the New Testament these purification waters were called baptismoi (see Num. 19:9–19; cf. Mark 7:4). We know that Old Testament rites, sacrifices, etc. were only "a shadow of the good things to come" (Heb. 10:1). They could never take away sins. This may well be why John specifies "six" stone jars—to denote imperfection, or "a human number" (cf. Rev. 13:18). It is interesting to note that Jesus transformed these Old Testament baptismal waters into wine—a symbol of New Covenant perfection (see Joel 3:18; Matt. 9:17).
  • John 3:22: Immediately after Jesus’ "born again" discourse to Nicodemus, what does he do? He baptizes. This is the only time in Scripture we find Jesus actually baptizing.
  • John 4:1–2: Jesus’ disciples then begin to baptize at Jesus’ command. (Note: John 4:1–2 appears to be a further clarification of 3:22. But it is unclear. It appears to say that Jesus only baptized his disciples and then they baptized everyone else. Some hold it to say Jesus never baptized at all.)
In summary, Jesus was baptized, transformed the "baptismal" waters, and then gave his famous "born again" discourse. He then baptized before commissioning the apostles to go out and baptize. To deny Jesus was teaching us about baptism in John 3:3–5 is to ignore the clear biblical context.

Moreover, John 3:5 is not describing two events; it describes one event. The text does not say "unless one is born of water and then born again of the Spirit . . . " It says "unless one is born of water and Spirit . . ." If we hearken back to the Lord’s own baptism in John 1 and Matthew 3, we notice that when our Lord was baptized, the Holy Spirit descended simultaneously upon him. This was one event, involving both water and the Spirit. And so it is with our baptism. If we obey God in being baptized—that’s our part of the deal—we can count on God to "open the heavens" for us concurrently and give us the Holy Spirit.

And finally, it would be anachronistic to read into Jesus’ use of "water" to mean physical birth in John’s Gospel. In fact, John had just used a word to refer to physical birth in John 1:12–13, but it wasn’t "water:" "But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God; who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God."

John here tells us that we are not made children of God by birth ("of blood"), or by our own attempts whether they be through our lower nature ("of the flesh") or even through the higher powers of our soul ("the will of man"). Rather, we must be born of God, or by God’s power. Notice John refers to natural birth colloquially as "of blood," not "of water."

Washing of Water by the Word

It is perhaps an even greater stretch to claim that the "water" of John 3:3–5 represents the word of God. At least with the amniotic fluid argument, you have mention of "birth" in the immediate context. However, a Protestant will sometimes refer to Ephesians 5:25–26 and a few other texts to make this point: "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word . . ."

"See?" he may say, "The ‘washing of water’ is here equated to ‘the word’ that cleanses us." If you couple this text with Jesus’ words in John 15:3—"You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you"—the claim is made, "the water" of John 3:5 would actually refer to the word of God rather than baptism. And finally, he might add Romans 10:9–10 to the mix: "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation" (KJV).

Though John 3:3–5 does not explicitly say man is born again by accepting Jesus, some Protestants connect all of these verses together and conclude that the Bible teaches we are saved or "born again" by professing faith in Jesus, not through baptism.

The Catholic Response

Both Catholics and Protestants agree that the word of God is said to "save us" and "cleanse us" inasmuch as it is an instrument used by God to bring his salvation to us that he won for us on the cross. Catholics and Protestants also agree, however, that more is needed than just the word of God for man to be saved. For Protestants, the salvation promised by God’s word is communicated through the individual profession of faith, so that is when a man is "born again." For Catholics, it is through faith and baptism; more specifically, it is through baptism that a man is "born again." The question is: What does the Bible say?

First, confessing Christ is certainly an essential part of the process of salvation. Romans 10:9–10 clearly teaches the one who believes and confesses his faith in Christ will be saved. But it is important to note that Scripture uses this same word—salvation—in various forms to describe many other things man must do in order "to be saved." The one who "believes and is baptized shall be saved" (Mark 16:16). The one who "endures to the end shall be saved" (Matt. 10:22). Indeed, the very same words used by Paul in Romans 10:10, translated as "unto salvation" in the Douay-Rheims Bible (Greek eis soterian), are used to teach Christians we must ". . . long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up to salvation" (1 Pet. 2:2). They are also used to challenge Christians to repent of their sins: "For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation" (2 Cor. 7:10). The fact that we must repent, be baptized, grow, confess Christ, and endure until the end in order to be saved indicates salvation is a process. There is no doubt that Paul was speaking of part of this process in Romans 10:9–10. However, there is nothing in that text that would lead us to believe he is speaking of how a person is born again.

This leads us to the most important point. Both Catholics and Protestants agree that Jesus’ words—unless one is born anew (or, again)—speak of man’s initial entrance into the body of Christ through God’s grace. The texts mentioned above by Protestants do not necessarily refer to the initial grace of salvation. What does the Bible teach is the instrument whereby one first enters into Christ? This would be precisely what we are talking about when we speak of being "born again." The good news is Scripture makes it abundantly clear: We are incorporated into the Body of Christ through baptism.
  • Romans 6:3–4: Are you unaware that we who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were indeed buried with him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life.
  • Galatians 3:27: For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
  • 1 Corinthians 12:13: For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit (see also Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16, and Col. 2:11–13).
If baptism is the way the unsaved are brought into Christ, no wonder Christ spoke of being "born of water and spirit." Baptism is the instrument of new birth according to the New Testament.

Spirit vs. Water

Many Fundamentalists will claim we are confusing spiritual baptism with water baptism. Again, they would say, water baptism does not save you. And they will often point to 1 Corinthians 12:13, quoted above, to "prove" their point. Notice, they say, the text teaches it is the Spirit who baptizes us into Christ, not a man!

The Catholic Church agrees that it is the Holy Spirit incorporates us into Christ, just as it is the Holy Spirit who "convince the world of sin and of righteousness and of judgment," according to John 16:8. But the Holy Spirit uses human instruments to convey the message. "How shall they hear without a preacher?" (Rom. 10:14). The Bible certainly teaches that baptism is the Holy Spirit’s instrument to bring humanity into the Body of Christ as we have seen. But because God uses human beings to baptize, this does not mean it is any less the work of the Spirit through them.

As far as baptism saving us, the Bible could hardly be plainer. In Acts 2:38, St. Peter declared: "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." In Acts 22:16, Ananias announced to St. Paul who had already professed faith in Jesus as Lord in verse 10: ". . . rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name." And 1 Peter 3:20–21 records these plain words: ". . . in the days of Noah during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the Resurrection of Jesus Christ." According to the Bible, baptism is not the mere removal of dirt from the body, but Christ’s instrument in purging our conscience from sin. That is what being "born-again" is all about!