Will Rogers/Donald Trump: Times Have Changed!

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
GLENN%2BMCCOY%2BHILLARY%2BCAMPAIGN%2BTRAIL.jpg

exminister

Will Roger quotes

"I'm not a member of any organized political party.... I'm a Democrat."

"Democrats never agree on anything, that's why they're Democrats. If they agreed with each other, they'd be Republicans."

"There is only one redeeming thing about this whole election. It will be over at sundown, and let everybody pray that it's not a tie, for we couldn't go through with this thing again.

And, when the votes are counted, let everybody, including the candidates, get into a good humor as quick as they got into a bad one.

exminister

More Will Rogers quotes

"If you ever injected truth into politics you have no politics" WA # 31, July 15, 1923

"Politics has got so expensive that it takes lots of money to even get beat with nowadays." DT #1538, June 28, 1931

"Politics pretty quiet over the week-end. Democrats are attacking and the Republicans are defending. All the Democrats have to do is promise "what they would do if they got in." But the Republicans have to promise "what they would do" and then explain why they haven't already "done it."

"This country has gotten where it is in spite of politics, not by the aid of it. That we have carried as much political bunk as we have and still survived shows we are a super nation." DT #1948, Nov. 1, 1932

exminister

More Will Rogers quotes

America has the best politicians money can buy.

Congress is so strange; a man gets up to speak and says nothing, nobody listens, and then everybody disagrees."

"Congress meets tomorrow morning. Let us all pray: Oh Lord, give us strength to bear that which is about to be inflicted upon us. Be merciful with them, oh Lord, for they know not what they're doing. Amen."

"We all joke about Congress but we can't improve on them. Have you noticed that no matter who we elect, he is just as bad as the one he replaces?"

"I read where they are going to limit debate in the Senate. It used to be that a man could talk all day, but now, as soon as he tells all he knows, he has to sit down. Most of these birds will just be getting up and nodding now. Why, some of them won't be able to answer roll call."

"We cuss Congress, and we joke about 'em, but they are all good fellows at heart, and if they wasn't in Congress, why, they would be doing something else against us that might be even worse."

exminister

More Will Rogers quotes

"The Senate just sits and waits till they find out what the president wants, so they know how to vote against him."

"The Democrats and the Republicans are equally corrupt where money is concerned. It's only in the amount where the Republicans excel."

"Their greatest trait to recommend the Democrats is optimism and humor. You've got to be an optimist to be a Democrat, and you've got to be a humorist to stay one."

"There is something about a Republican that you can only stand him just so long; and on the other hand, there is something about a Democrat that you can't stand him quite that long."

"A Republican moves slowly. They are what we call conservatives. A conservative is a man who has plenty of money and doesn't see any reason why he shouldn't always have plenty of money. A Democrat is a fellow who never had any, but doesn't see any reason why he shouldn't have some."

exminister

More Will Rogers quotes

"If you have a radio, the next three months is a good time to have it (quit working). All you will hear from now until the 4th of November will be: 'We must get our government out of the hands of predatory wealth.' 'The good people of this great country are burdened to death with taxes. Now what I intend to do is ...' What he intends to do is try and get elected. That's all any of them intend to do. Another one that will hum over the old static every night will be: 'This country has reached a crisis in its national existence.'" WA #86, August 3, 1924

"You know the more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best."

exminister

I like reading Will Rogers quotes about politics. They are going on 100 years old and nothing in American politics has changed. Same old, same old.

exminister

I have listened to the kinds of political diatribes we have today and wonder how have we become so venomous, so unyielding about differences, so willing to take away freedoms so dearly purchased?
Of course, Donald Trump is not alone in his nastiness. He is just one of many who sling mud with abandon, or as with Hillary Clinton, simply lie like a rug and get away with it.

We aren't a very good people anymore.
We have lost our way as our foundations have been eroded.
May God have mercy on us.

Will Rogers said:
Things ain't what they used to be and never were.

exminister

True. You can't step into the same river twice.
But our memories plays tricks on us. We think the past is always better. I think because we survived it and we tend to gloss over the problems. By way of illustration older people will say the music was better when they were young. What has been forgotten is all the bad music that didn't survive to today only the best from that time. Politics has always been a dirty business from the beginning of time. "How do you know a politician is lying? When his mouth is moving." That's just true. We get lucky now and again. But oddly we can't seem to agree on when. :rotfl:

bybee

True. You can't step into the same river twice.
But our memories plays tricks on us. We think the past is always better. I think because we survived it and we tend to gloss over the problems. By way of illustration older people will say the music was better when they were young. What has been forgotten is all the bad music that didn't survive to today only the best from that time. Politics has always been a dirty business from the beginning of time. "How do you know a politician is lying? When his mouth is moving." That's just true. We get lucky now and again. But oddly we can't seem to agree on when. :rotfl:

True! But speaking from an accumulation of years, I love what is familiar. I still listen to popular music on the radio when I am driving but I tend to like the stations that mix it up with lots of "Golden Oldies" in the mix.
In church I love the familiar hymns but learn to love the new as well.
As for politics? Wellllllll........Congress seems to be a factory that turns out millionaires with amnesia.
Yet, the sun came up this morning and "Unto us this day a son is born..." and I am blessed!

PureX

I like reading Will Rogers quotes about politics. They are going on 100 years old and nothing in American politics has changed. Same old, same old.
That's true, if we are looking 100 years back. But if we are looking 60 - 70 years back, it's not true. We had a pinnacle in this nation, through the depression/WWII generation, in which we did not behave like greedy ignoramuses. When politicians, like FDR, actually worked to serve the well-being of the people. And the wealthy actually paid their considerable share of taxes, and we used that money to build up infrastructure and keep everyone working. And we finally even began to see people of color as human beings (mostly because whites had fought beside them in the war). The depression and the war had forced Americans to come together, and to understand as no other generation had before, that ALL of our independent well-being depends on each other.

Sadly, that generation is gone, now. And their lessons are lost once again. And we've fallen back to what we were before them: to 100 years ago. To the greed and stupidity that caused the great depression. To the "every-man-for-himself" struggle for survival of the days before the labor unions. And to the endless ethnic battles that raged when most Americans were struggling just to survive in the economy of the 'robber barons'.

It's sad that in only the 30 years or so since Ronald Reagan, that we have devolved as a nation, almost 100 years, back to those decadent years just before the great depression. And it does not bode well for us. Not at all.

northwye

Trump has to be given credit for bringing new issues into public awareness that the Establishment people would never bring up. Trump has gotten some of his ideas from the patriot movement and the Tea Party, which is under some influence from Ron Paul. But as far as I know Trump has not brought up the way that the states could diminish some of the power of the federal government and move the country back toward the checks and balances by which a Constitutional Republic is defined. Remember Thomas Jefferson and the Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions of 1798 and 1799 in which the two states said the states have the right and the duty to declare unconstitutional acts of Congress that were not authorized by the Constitution. The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions were written secretly by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.

bybee

Trump has to be given credit for bringing new issues into public awareness that the Establishment people would never bring up. Trump has gotten some of his ideas from the patriot movement and the Tea Party, which is under some influence from Ron Paul. But as far as I know Trump has not brought up the way that the states could diminish some of the power of the federal government and move the country back toward the checks and balances by which a Constitutional Republic is defined. Remember Thomas Jefferson and the Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions of 1798 and 1799 in which the two states said the states have the right and the duty to declare unconstitutional acts of Congress that were not authorized by the Constitution. The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions were written secretly by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.

I'd like to see these resolutions employed today!

bybee

So why cling to them?

Customs. practices, liturgies, rites, food and drink, music, dance, Tradition!!! All may be comforting in a cold and unfriendly world.
I think for myself but when I enter my Church I belong. I like that. When I enter any home of a relative I am welcome. I like that.
I belong to "The Minnesota Arboretum". I have been going there since childhood. I love the place. It changes, becomes enhanced, yet the basic landscape stays the same.
I cling to memories of bygone Happiness.

PureX

The state legislatures are currently just as corrupt as the federal legislature. This fantasy that state power will solve all our ills is just that: a fantasy. I understand people's frustration with government, because the government no longer listens to or serves the people. But the problem is not especially federal. It's universal. Our entire government has been completely corrupted by a small number of very wealthy and unscrupulous corporate entities. And until we face this corruption, directly, and put a stop to it, the state vs. federal power issue is completely irrelevant.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Customs. practices, liturgies, rites, food and drink, music, dance, Tradition!!! All may be comforting in a cold and unfriendly world.
I think for myself but when I enter my Church I belong. I like that. When I enter any home of a relative I am welcome. I like that.
I belong to "The Minnesota Arboretum". I have been going there since childhood. I love the place. It changes, becomes enhanced, yet the basic landscape stays the same.
I cling to memories of bygone Happiness.

Thus, you cling to that which doesn't exist. While finding comfort with those of a like-minded pursuasion.

Such could be said for the bar-fly...but I'll leave it at that.