Why We Are Justified by Faith Alone

Rondonmonson

I don't see much on the Forum about justification by faith. The reason that we are justified by faith and by faith alone, is because we are justified by Christ and by Christ alone. The word "Justification" is a legal word. Here is the meaning.

JUSTIFICATION: Justification may be defined as "that judicial act of God, by which, on the basis of the meritorious work of Christ, imputed to the sinner and received by him through faith, He declares the sinner absolved from his sins, released from its penalty, and restored as righteous." (Zondervan Bible Dictionary)

In the judgment, the justified sinner will stand before God's holy court as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. God will not be able to find any sin in those that have confessed with their mouth and believed with their heart the Lord Jesus Christ, and that God has raised him from the dead, Romans 10:8-11. No works or religion needed.

Justification is the results of the Gospel. In the Gospel Jesus comes into the world as God's new Adam and our new humanity. Jesus, in our name and on our behalf, offers to God the Father a life of perfect obedience according to his holy law. It is this life that was lived for our justification, Romans 3:26. God's Holy Law has been fulfilled and abolished for the Christian, Ephesians 2:15,16. Where there is no law there is no condemnation.

That was not enough, something had to be done about our sins and the sins of the world before we could be justified. Again, Jesus, in our name and on our behalf takes our sins upon himself and becomes sins for us, 2 Corinthians 5:21. "That we might be made the righteousness of God in him."
We had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with our justification. It was all of God and Christ. We simply believe and accept what God has done for us in Jesus Christ. No works or religion needed.

There is a unique reason God demands Salvation is by Faith alone. Some say, why doesn't God just reveal Himself, then wouldn't all bow down and worship Him !! Well no, Lucifer and 1/3 of the Angels knew God, and deserted God. Some would lie in their hearts and pretend to love God, as some Christians do this very day.

God understands if you are willing to seek Him out, to believe in everything He stands for, to trust without evidence, then you really want to be like God, your hearts desire is to be like God, to trust in a God of mercy and love, over a world of evil and despair.

This is why God gives Salvation by Faith alone. He desires to be sought out, desired, loved, trusted etc. etc. Only a man that "seeks God with all his heart" really wants to know God, the others just want their own hearts desire, like Lucifer did.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why Eternal Justification is Heresy

Why Eternal Justification is Heresy

Calvinists disagree, of course...they were as good as forgiven and justified in eternity past, before faith could be exercised...before they actually existed.
Er, no. The orthodox Reformed do not claim to know what is not revealed by God (Deut. 29:29) and go off making assumptions about God's secrets such as "they were as forgiven and justified..."

More accurately, it is Hyper-Calvinists (e.g., beloved57, nanja) that erroneously believe in eternal justification. Hyper-Calvinism has been denounced as heresy by all conservative Reformed groups.

Hyper-Calvinism's eternal justification of the elect is an abomination that eviscerates justification by faith. Per this view, the eternally justified:

(1) Were going about to establish a righteousness of their own and bringing forth dead works, evil deeds, and fruit unto death, they were pleasing to God.
(2) A justified person can commit sins such as believing and confessing a false gospel.
(3) They had the imputed righteousness of Christ while remaining ignorant of that imputed righteousness.
(4) Without faith it is possible to please God, and some who are in the flesh are able to please God.
(5) When they were dead in trespasses and sins, walking according to the course of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, conducting themselves according to the lusts of their flesh, acting out the things, the wills of the flesh and of the understandings, they were not children of wrath (Ephesians 2:1-3).
(6) There are some who are redeemed, who are God-pleasers, who are friends of God, who also walk as the rest of the nations walk, in the vanity of their mind, having been darkened in the intellect, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them because of the hardness of their heart, who, having cast off all feeling, gave themselves up to lust, to the working of all uncleanness with greediness (Ephesians 4:17-19).

See also:
http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?115439-Eternal-Security-!&p=4643308&viewfull=1#post4643308

AMR

Last edited:

musterion

More accurately, it is Hyper-Calvinists (e.g., beloved57, nanja) that erroneously believe in eternal justification. Hyper-Calvinism has been denounced as heresy by all conservative Reformed groups.

Be that as it may, and despite our having done this hoe-down many times already, theirs is the more logically consistent position according to TULIP. If one is personally elect from eternity past, etc etc...it follows as surely as links in a chain.

musterion

For example:

(5) When they were dead in trespasses and sins, walking according to the course of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, conducting themselves according to the lusts of their flesh, acting out the things, the wills of the flesh and of the understandings, they were not children of wrath (Ephesians 2:1-3).

Given TULIP -- particularly the U, L, I and the P -- that would of necessity be true: they were never at risk of wrath because God would not countermand and contradict His own eternal elective decree regarding them. They were safe in Christ before they were ever born. Indeed, with His blood already shed for them before creation (Rev 13:8), it could not possibly be otherwise.

musterion

(1) Were going about to establish a righteousness of their own and bringing forth dead works, evil deeds, and fruit unto death, they were pleasing to God.

What's the problem? According to U and L, they were chosen to be the ones for whom Christ would die, so they'll be "zapped" sooner or later. Doesn't matter what they do or believe in the meantime...TULIP has them covered.

(2) A justified person can commit sins such as believing and confessing a false gospel.

Above point applies here too.

(3) They had the imputed righteousness of Christ while remaining ignorant of that imputed righteousness.

Yep. The U and L chronologically precede the I. Don't look at me, I didn't formulate it.

(4) Without faith it is possible to please God, and some who are in the flesh are able to please God.

The L states that Christ had already died for them.

Dealt with above.

(6) There are some who are redeemed, who are God-pleasers, who are friends of God, who also walk as the rest of the nations walk, in the vanity of their mind, having been darkened in the intellect, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them because of the hardness of their heart, who, having cast off all feeling, gave themselves up to lust, to the working of all uncleanness with greediness (Ephesians 4:17-19).

Because God hadn't "zapped" them yet, per the U.

Again...I didn't formulate TULIP. Your side did.

turbosixx

Just curious.

Is reconciliation OFFERED or was it already DONE? I believe it is the latter.

Romans 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Reconciliation is by the death of Jesus, as the verse says, NOT by man's acceptance. Man has NOTHING to do with his being reconciled to God. It's all grace.

If I understand you correctly, think about what you’re implying. If it was already done at the cross and there is nothing we can do, then everyone is saved.

If you think about it, he’s talking to Christians therefore once they were converted they have been (past tense) reconciled by Jesus' sacrifice.

Now that we are reconciled to God, all we need to do is live reconciled lives - overcome evil with good.

Overcomers will Christ NOT blot out from the book of life and will be seated with Him in His throne even as He also overcame and sat down with the Father in His throne (Rev 3:5, 21). All NOT blotted out will be allowed entry to heaven (Rev 21:27); all blotted out will have their portion in the lake of fire (Rev 20:15).

That’s the way I understand it, we must continue to live according to the will of God.

I like the way Paul puts it here. We are saved by the gospel if we continue in it unless we believed in vain.
1 Cor. 15:1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

Samie

If I understand you correctly, think about what you’re implying. If it was already done at the cross and there is nothing we can do, then everyone is saved.

If you think about it, he’s talking to Christians therefore once they were converted they have been (past tense) reconciled by Jesus' sacrifice.
Romans was written BEFORE Paul went and preached to them (see Rom 1:10, 13, 15). Hence, they were not yet Christians at least by how the word "Christians" is defined.

And Yes, everyone had been saved and is being saved by grace. But only overcomers will ultimately be saved and make it to heaven and eternal life. There are 3 tenses of salvation, brother: Past, Present, Future.

That’s the way I understand it, we must continue to live according to the will of God.

I like the way Paul puts it here. We are saved by the gospel if we continue in it unless we believed in vain.
1 Cor. 15:1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
Thank you.

turbosixx

Romans was written BEFORE Paul went and preached to them (see Rom 1:10, 13, 15). Hence, they were not yet Christians at least by how the word "Christians" is defined.

And Yes, everyone had been saved and is being saved by grace. But only overcomers will ultimately be saved and make it to heaven and eternal life. There are 3 tenses of salvation, brother: Past, Present, Future.

Thank you.

I believe they are Christians.

Rom. 1:5....Jesus Christ our Lord, 5 through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name's sake, 6 among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ; 7 to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Samie

I believe they are Christians.

Rom. 1:5....Jesus Christ our Lord, 5 through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name's sake, 6 among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ; 7 to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Also read vv6-15, especially take notice of v10, v13 & v15. "Saints" does not NECESSARILY mean Christians.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Calvin belongs to that group of "Reformers" Luther, Zwingli, etc. each one trying to outdo the other in new ideas. The "cognoscenti" crowd……

Calvin is not the gospel of Christ no more than is Luther or Zwingli…

The real title is the "The Gospel According to Calvin" or Luther, or Zwingli or any other of the dozens of reformers at that time. Every aspect of the Church was challenged, changed, criticized, altered……what ever…

Might add, that Calvin had so many different ideas about Christianity, that whatever followers he had started splintering off into different groups because one group preferred this and another did that, and another preferred this view, ———-read the Bible and pick what you like within the area of ech reformer……

After the Reformation settled in there were hundreds of different Bibles written——-that would satisfy any dissident, and that included doctrinal footnotes of all sorts by the author, sort of like a pope or cleric interpreting for the reader.

AMDG

I can believe it.

turbosixx

Also read vv6-15, especially take notice of v10, v13 & v15. "Saints" does not NECESSARILY mean Christians.

I respectfully disagree. When we look at Paul's wording he uses we a lot and at the end calls them brethren and is rejoicing over their obedience.

16:17 Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them. 18 For such men are slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own appetites; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting. 19 For the report of your obedience has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.

As far as I understand, after Acts all letters are written to Christians.

Jerry Shugart

You don't believe the word of truth. You don't even believe that Christ death alone saved them He died for!

It is obvious that even though the Lord Jesus died for all men that all men are not saved:

"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man" (Heb.2:9).​

Do you think that the death of the Lord Jesus alone saved all those He tasted death for, which includes every man? Even the unbelievers?

Jerry Shugart

I understand faith doesn’t require action but to live the Christian life by faith does require action.

Yes, to live the Christian life by faith does require action. However, "action" or "obedience" comes after one's "faith" has already been exercised. So by the time a person does any action he has already been counted as being righteous in the eyes of the Lord as a result of his faith:

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" (Ro.4:5).​

In the eyes of the Lord just as soon as a person exercises his faith he is counted as being righteous. Then after that "action"or "obedience" follows.

Do you agree?

If not, what specifically do you not agree with and why?

Thanks!

First, when the bible defines faith then shows us what faith looks like I see faith causing action.

Yes, since faith causes action then that means that in time actions come after faith or as a result of faith.

Agree?

Second, when I read about people being separated at judgment, it always comes down to their deeds. If you can show me otherwise, I would be appreciative.

The believer does not come into judgment in regard to salvation, as witnessed by the words of the Lord Jesus here:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

It could be said that a Christian's judgment in regard to salvation happened when, on the Cross, the Lord Jesus suffered for our sins (1 Pet.3:18).

We can also see the results of the Lord Jesus suffering for our sins:

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him"
(2 Cor.5:21).​

Praise the Lord!

beloved57

It is obvious that even though the Lord Jesus died for all men that all men are not saved:
"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man" (Heb.2:9).​

Do you think that the death of the Lord Jesus alone saved all those He tasted death for, which includes every man? Even the unbelievers?

Every man Christ tasted death for was reconciled to God while they were enemies Rom 5:10 and the promise to the reconciled is that they shall be saved by His Life Read it right here Rom 5:10

[FONT=&quot]For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son[Heb 2:9], much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

[/FONT]
So you either believe in universalism or the limited atonement !

turbosixx

Yes, to live the Christian life by faith does require action. However, "action" or "obedience" comes after one's "faith" has already been exercised. So by the time a person does any action he has already been counted as being righteous in the eyes of the Lord as a result of his faith:

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" (Ro.4:5).​

In the eyes of the Lord just as soon as a person exercises his faith he is counted as being righteous. Then after that "action"or "obedience" follows.

Do you agree?

If not, what specifically do you not agree with and why?

Thanks!

Yes, I agree.

Yes, since faith causes action then that means that in time actions come after faith or as a result of faith.

Agree?
Yes, I agree.

The believer does not come into judgment in regard to salvation, as witnessed by the words of the Lord Jesus here:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

It could be said that a Christian's judgment in regard to salvation happened when, on the Cross, the Lord Jesus suffered for our sins (1 Pet.3:18).

We can also see the results of the Lord Jesus suffering for our sins:

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him"
(2 Cor.5:21).​

Praise the Lord!

I agree, all true. Without Jesus’ sacrifice no one can be saved, past, present or future.

How can a man EARN salvation?

Jerry Shugart

turbosixx,

I said:

To this you said the following:

Yes, I agree.

So do you agree that a person who believes is already counted as righteous BEFORE he submits to the rite of water baptism?

Jerry Shugart

Every man Christ tasted death for was reconciled to God while they were enemies Rom 5:10 and the promise to the reconciled is that they shall be saved by His Life Read it right here Rom 5:10

[FONT="]For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son[Heb 2:9], much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

[/FONT]
So you either believe in universalism or the limited atonement !

You fail to realize that reconciliation is a two way street. The Lord Jesus' death has provided a reconciliation for all men. But in order to come within that reconciliation a person must be "reconciled to God" (2 Cor.5:20) by faith.

God provided a reconciliation for His enemies but by the time a man believes and is therefore reconciled to God he loves God.

beloved57

You fail to realize that reconciliation is a two way street. The Lord Jesus' death has provided a reconciliation for all men. But in order to come within that reconciliation a person must be "reconciled to God" (2 Cor.5:20) by faith.

God provided a reconciliation for His enemies but by the time a man believes and is therefore reconciled to God he loves God.

You deny the scripture. Those Christ died for are reconciled to God while they are enemies by His Death, not by their Faith. Rom 5:10!

Jerry Shugart

You deny the scripture. Those Christ died for are reconciled to God while they are enemies by His Death, not by their Faith. Rom 5:10!

Why do you not understand that before a person can come into the reconciliation wrought by God he must first be reconciled to God?

That is why we are to tell unbelievers to "be reconciled to God:

"Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God" (2 Cor.5:20).​

If an unbeliever is already reconciled to God why would we tell him to "be reconciled to God"?

turbosixx

turbosixx,

I said:

To this you said the following:

So do you agree that a person who believes is already counted as righteous BEFORE he submits to the rite of water baptism?

I believe we can be in agreement if we can agree on what “exercises” his faith means. What does it mean to you?