Why We Are Justified by Faith Alone

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Robert Pate Cannot Rightly Divide

Robert Pate Cannot Rightly Divide

"If we don't like what it says, lets change it." Just like the word "World." you just can't believe that it means everyone, so lets change it to mean some certain persons.
Your "world means everyone" view is yet another example of your inability to properly interpret Scripture:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...e-God-Unjust&p=4826175&viewfull=1#post4826175

Give up, Robert. You could not be more wrong. Why not attempt to learn what rightly dividing really means:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...-saved-under&p=4754205&viewfull=1#post4754205

AMR

turbosixx

The following verse describes those whose faith is limited to a mental assent:

"Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men" (Jn.2:23-24).

These people were miracle made believers and that kind of faith saves no one.

But John said that is how we would believe.
Jn.20:30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Now back to what I said earlier:

A verb "expresses an act, occurance, or mode of being" (Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary). And "to believe" is not an action but instead an occurance, something that takes place.

By the definition which you yourself gave we can see that the Greek word translated "believe" means "to believe, entrust." That rules out the idea that when the Greek word translated "believe" is used that submitting to the rite of water baptism is included.

I agree it means to believe, entrust and is an occurrence but if you look at the first explanation in the definition you gave it says “expresses and act”. That’s the way I’ve understood it up to now. Faith is the noun and believe is the verb which I understand as faith in action.

Faith – N-pistis
Believe –V- pisteuó

When I read scripture I understand the one who believes is the one who acts, like in this parable. Which one believed the message?
24 "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock…26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.

Now let us look at the answer Paul and those with him gave to the question of what a person must do to be saved:
"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:30-31).

Paul stated in no uncertain terms that in order to be saved a person must believe. Either that is true or it is not. There is no middle ground.

I agree, they must believe in order to be saved. It wouldn't do any good baptizing a non-believer.

According to your ideas the gospel is not the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes because no one is saved when they believe the gospel. According to your view no one is saved until they believe and then are baptized with water.

Why can't you see the errors of your theology?
Where do you think I got the idea? The reason I can’t see the error is because I got the idea straight from Jesus.

15.. proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved,

I know you think it’s optional but if you look at the same conversation from Matthews stand point Jesus said to make disciples baptizing them. When you put the two together we see that those who believe the gospel are baptized “in the name of Jesus” and that’s what makes them a disciple adding them to the church.

Jerry Shugart

turbosixx,

Earlier I quoted this verse:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth" (Ro.1:16).​

Then I said:

According to your ideas the gospel is not the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes because no one is saved when they believe the gospel. According to your view no one is saved until they believe and then are baptized with water.

Why can't you see the errors of your theology?​

Here is your answer:

Where do you think I got the idea? The reason I can’t see the error is because I got the idea straight from Jesus.

15.. proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved,

The meaning which you put on this verse directly contradicts what is said at Romans 1:16. What is evident about the Lord's words is the fact that He is describing those who will be saved and not saying that submitting to the rite of water baptism is a requirement to be saved. The following verse is an example of the Lord describing them who will be saved:

"And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life"
(Mt.19:29).​

Here the Lord says that those who have forsaken their families will receive everlasting life, but surely no one will argue that this is a requirement for salvation. Instead, the Lord is merely describing many who will be saved. Therefore we can understand that at Mark 16:16 the Lord Jesus is merely describing those who will be saved.

And that is the only interpretation of Mark 16:16 which doesn't contradict Romans 1:16.

I agree it means to believe, entrust and is an occurrence but if you look at the first explanation in the definition you gave it says “expresses and act”.

Please refresh my memory and tell me where I gave that definition.

But John said that is how we would believe.

Jn.20:30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Yes, but not just because He did miracles but instead because He fulfilled the prophecies which spoke of the Lord performing miracles (Isa.35:5-6). Here we can see that some believed because of the miracles which the Lord Jesus did:

"Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men"
(Jn.2:23-24).​

Do you think that kind of faith saved them?

Obviously not. They did not believe in their hearts.

Robert Pate

Banned
Your "world means everyone" view is yet another example of your inability to properly interpret Scripture:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...e-God-Unjust&p=4826175&viewfull=1#post4826175

Give up, Robert. You could not be more wrong. Why not attempt to learn what rightly dividing really means:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...-saved-under&p=4754205&viewfull=1#post4754205

AMR

Most of you problem is with the Bible. You have a lot of trouble with what the scriptures are saying. Like when it says "Everyone" Hebrews 2:9 or when it says "All men" 1 Timothy 2:4.

Your worst problem is when it says "The world" 1 John 4:14 or worse yet when it says "The whole world."

You even have trouble when Jesus claims to be the savior of the "World" John 12:47.

Maybe you should write your own Bible. You could call it "The New Testament According to John Calvin".

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Robert Pate Refuses to Actually Engage

Robert Pate Refuses to Actually Engage

Most of you problem is with the Bible. You have a lot of trouble with what the scriptures are saying. Like when it says "Everyone" Hebrews 2:9 or when it says "All men" 1 Timothy 2:4.

Your worst problem is when it says "The world" 1 John 4:14 or worse yet when it says "The whole world."

You even have trouble when Jesus claims to be the savior of the "World" John 12:47.

Maybe you should write your own Bible. You could call it "The New Testament According to John Calvin".

Robert,

Why not simply avoid a rejoinder to anyone who provides detailed and substantive response to you errors? I have no idea why you bother to just state more opinions along the lines of "I am right you are not" while trying to move the goal posts in hopes no one will notice.

The argument you have made is plainly in your own words "world means everyone". I have demonstrated how this cannot be the wooden literalism you hope it to be. Rather than taking up my clear arguments, you just move on.

You clearly have no idea what actual discussion means. Your blogger mindset is undoing you.

AMR