ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

God's Truth

How, then, can you be certain that your preferred interpretations of the Bible are correct, rather than merely a case of you being "ensnared by Satan"?
I am not interpreting the Bible. The Bible has already been interpreted from Greek to English. The Bible is clearly written. Just believe what it says, and obey it.
• First, the Catholic Church is not a "denomination." Being Christ's original one historic Church, it simply cannot in any way qualify as a such.
That is not true. You claim it, but it is not true. There is no mention in the Bible of the things the Catholics do---in fact, the Catholics do things the scriptures say NOT to do.
• Second, being Christ's one historic Church, with whose teachings Jesus equated his very own infallible teachings (Lk. 10:16; 1 Tim. 3:15), the Church can no more teach "false doctrines" than can Jesus Christ himself. As Christ himself promised, the gates of Hades will never prevail against the Church (Mt. 16:18).
God’s Truth can be found, and that is what nothing can ever prevail against.

Cruciform

I am not interpreting the Bible.
Nonsense. Everyone who reads any document whatsoever interprets that document. To "interpret" means "to draw out the meaning." If you do not interpret the Bible, then you read it without discerning its meaning!

The Bible has already been interpreted from Greek to English.
You're thinking of translation, not interpretation.

The Bible is clearly written. Just believe what it says, and obey it.
Already answered---and corrected---in Post #798 above.

That is not true. You claim it, but it is not true.
The fact that the Catholic Church is in fact Christ's one historic Church is plainly demonstrated here, here, and here.

There is no mention in the Bible of the things the Catholics do...
Generally, there is biblical precedent for all Catholic beliefs, however implicit it might be, and there is nothing in Scripture to forbid any Catholic belief and practice.

In any case, your comment here assumes the validity of the 16th-century Protestant notion of sola scriptura, which is itself nowhere taught in "Scripture alone," and therefore simply refutes itself.

...in fact, the Catholics do things the scriptures say NOT to do.
Rather, Catholics believe some things that your chosen man-made non-Catholic sect has told you the Bible forbids. Big difference there.

God’s Truth can be found, and that is what nothing can ever prevail against.
Too bad the biblical text doesn't actually say that. What Jesus says is that he will build his Church---not "churchES"---and that the gates of Hades will not prevail against it (that is, his Church). Here you're trying to shoehorn your preferred non-Catholic sect's tradition into the biblical text.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
As for us doing greater works---that was during the laying of the foundation. The foundation has been laid.

Hebrews 2:3 how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him.

4 God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Acts 14:3
So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to perform signs and wonders.
No you're wrong. I'm looking for the scriptures showing that Jesus' clear word, "Whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these" (John 14:12), is not applicable anymore.

These are all good passages you've quoted (not that there are bad passages of Sacred Scripture :)), but they do not show that Jesus' clear word in John 14:12 was only true during the Apostolic generation.

God's Truth

Nonsense. Everyone who reads any document whatsoever interprets that document. To "interpret" means "to draw out the meaning." If you do not interpret the Bible, then you read it without discerning its meaning!
Just read, believe, and obey.
You're thinking of translation, not interpretation.
It is not difficult…call no man ‘father’ you are brothers. Do not bow to the works of your hands…
Why do you need someone to interpret that for you?
Generally, there is biblical precedent for all Catholic beliefs, however implicit it might be, and there is nothing in Scripture to forbid any Catholic belief and practice.

In any case, your comment here assumes the validity of the 16th-century Protestant notion of sola scriptura, which is itself nowhere taught in "Scripture alone," and therefore simply refutes itself.
You deny the scriptures.
You not only deny the scriptures, you go against them. Don't go beyond what is written.

1 Corinthians 4:6 Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written." Then you will not be puffed up in being a follower of one of us over against the other.
Too bad the biblical text doesn't actually say that. What Jesus says is that he will build his Church---not "churchES"---and that the gates of Hades will not prevail against it (that is, his Church). Here you're trying to shoehorn your preferred non-Catholic sect's tradition into the biblical text.
The Church is the body of Christ. The body of Christ is true worshipers.

God's Truth

No you're wrong. I'm looking for the scriptures showing that Jesus' clear word, "Whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these" (John 14:12), is not applicable anymore.

These are all good passages you've quoted (not that there are bad passages of Sacred Scripture :)), but they do not show that Jesus' clear word in John 14:12 was only true during the Apostolic generation.

You do not love God's truth.

I have shown you scripture that tells us plainly that it was during the laying of the foundation that signs, and miracles were given.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You do not love God's truth.
False. And, you're judging another's heart again. :nono:
I have shown you scripture that tells us plainly that it was during the laying of the foundation that signs, and miracles were given.
And Jesus tells us plainly, "Whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these" (John 14:12).

I believe Jesus over you.

Aimiel

I never heard of anyone walking on water or a greater miracle... yet.

Posted from the TOL App!

Cruciform

Just read, interpret, believe, and obey.
Fixed it for you.

It is not difficult…call no man ‘father’ you are brothers. Do not bow to the works of your hands…Why do you need someone to interpret that for you?
Your question suggests that you yourself somehow do not interpret what you read, a ridiculous notion that I have already refuted in my previous post. In short: You interpret the Bible just like everyone else who reads it.

You deny the scriptures. You not only deny the scriptures, you go against them.
We deny and go against your favored interpretations/applications of the Scriptures. Big difference there.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

God's Truth

False. And, you're judging another's heart again.
We will know them by their fruits.

I show you what God’s Word plainly says, but you do not want it, you want what your denomination teaches.

And Jesus tells us plainly, "Whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these" (John 14:12).

I believe Jesus over you.
You do not believe Jesus.

God testified to what Jesus, the prophets, and the apostles said during the laying of the foundation. The foundation has been laid. The testimony has been given.

Hebrews 2:4 God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to perform signs and wonders.

God's Truth

I never heard of anyone walking on water or a greater miracle... yet.

Posted from the TOL App!

That is right. God is not testifying to what the Catholic popes add to the Bible.

Nihilo claims the Catholic popes have done many great signs and wonders like the apostles. The apostles raised the dead, gave sight to the blind, and healed the paralyzed.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
We will know them by their fruits.
Yes. What fruits do you imagine you are yielding, I wonder? I could tell you what fruits they look like if you'd prefer, but let's see what fruits you think you are bearing to start with.
I show you what God’s Word plainly says, but you do not want it, you want what your denomination teaches.
Groan.
You do not believe Jesus.
Liar. False accuser. Sinner.
God testified to what Jesus, the prophets, and the apostles said during the laying of the foundation. The foundation has been laid. The testimony has been given.

Hebrews 2:4 God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

You still deny Jesus. John 14:12

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
That is right. God is not testifying to what the Catholic popes add to the Bible.

Nihilo claims the Catholic popes have done many great signs and wonders like the apostles. The apostles raised the dead, gave sight to the blind, and healed the paralyzed.
No, the saints.

Not all Popes were saints.

God's Truth

Yes. What fruits do you imagine you are yielding, I wonder? I could tell you what fruits they look like if you'd prefer, but let's see what fruits you think you are bearing to start with.
I am not personally attacking people instead of defending God’s Truth.

You do not believe Jesus. I can prove it easily. Do you call your brothers ‘father’? Do you bow to the works of your hands? Do you pray to others beside Jesus?

You do not want God’s Truth, you want the Catholic denomination’s truth.
You still deny Jesus. John 14:12
You did not watch your life and your doctrines closely.

1 Timothy 4:6 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

You are even delusional about the signs and wonders you claim are going on.