Why "Conversion Therapy" Should Be Illegal

Arthur Brain

It really is almost hilarious when religious zealots make such a big deal of homosexuality and then state that it's something they could choose whilst criticizing people who are just honest enough to say that it's a no go...

Can't make this stuff up.

It's sorta funny but then it's just sad.

Rosenritter

Well I dunno about you dude but there's no way I could choose to change orientation or even entertain bi-sexuality. Women only here. Just because there's less prejudice against homosexuals doesn't equal folk becoming them.

So your personal experience is sufficient for you to be able to state that programming attempts against still-developing minds is of no effect?

Oh please, if people are gay then that's all there is to it and what "lifestyle" are you talking about? You seem to be a religious fundamentalist and closed to anything contrary to your view and frankly, I'm not a zealot of any description.

Well, see above. I'm not an atheist but I've little time for any form of religious zealotry.

So you're not a zealot, but yet you spend a lot of time conversing on theological forums.But when I asked if you counted yourself as Christian, why weren't you able to answer yes or no? Do you know what you believe? Or if you do, why are you hesitant to say?

Rosenritter

It really is almost hilarious when religious zealots make such a big deal of homosexuality and then state that it's something they could choose whilst criticizing people who are just honest enough to say that it's a no go...

Can't make this stuff up.

It's sorta funny but then it's just sad.

So when I admit that I have the capacity to choose to become a mass murderer (but I will not kill) this is funny to you?

Arthur Brain

So your personal experience is sufficient for you to be able to state that programming attempts against still-developing minds is of no effect?

What "programming effects" are you on about? That there's gay people in the world and they shouldn't be bullied or face discrimination? What, that's gonna turn straight kids bi or gay?

So you're not a zealot, but yet you spend a lot of time conversing on theological forums.But when I asked if you counted yourself as Christian, why weren't you able to answer yes or no? Do you know what you believe? Or if you do, why are you hesitant to say?

Non atheist, non conformist, non orthodox crank. That blunt enough?

:D

Arthur Brain

So when I admit that I have the capacity to choose to become a mass murderer (but I will not kill) this is funny to you?

Not at all but the silly comparison kinda is. If you're straight then you can choose to do all manner of acts for good or ill but sexually there's only the opposite gender that's gonna be of interest. It's as straightforward as that.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It really is almost hilarious when religious zealots make such a big deal of homosexuality...

you mean when "religious zealots" recognize that scripturally, homosexuality is an abomination?

ok :idunno:

and then state that it's something they could choose

right

us "religious zealots" recognize that evil lives within our hearts and we can choose whether to heed it

whilst criticizing people who are just honest enough to say that it's a no go...

right

they're mistaken

or lying

Rosenritter

Not at all but the silly comparison kinda is. If you're straight then you can choose to do all manner of acts for good or ill but sexually there's only the opposite gender that's gonna be of interest. It's as straightforward as that.

You underestimate the human ability to alter how they think or to allow others to alter it for them.

Rosenritter

Non atheist, non conformist, non orthodox crank. That blunt enough?

:D

No, it isn't. That's perfectly vague. You could worship 1000 Hindu gods or Odin or be an agnostic philosopher or humanist for all that meant. When you are talking to someone on a theological forum and disagree on an issue touching authority it is common courtesy to disclose what you already accept as true when asked. Otherwise you're wasting everyone's time.

Arthur Brain

No, it isn't. That's perfectly vague. You could worship 1000 Hindu gods or Odin or be an agnostic philosopher or humanist for all that meant. When you are talking to someone on a theological forum and disagree on an issue touching authority it is common courtesy to disclose what you already accept as true when asked. Otherwise you're wasting everyone's time.

Oh, well in that case I ascribe to no set of orthodox or "traditional" belief systems and am not an atheist. Hope that helps.

Rosenritter

Oh, well in that case I ascribe to no set of orthodox or "traditional" belief systems and am not an atheist. Hope that helps.

If you do not consider yourself Christian, why don't you just come out and say so when specifically asked? Again, I didn't ask if you considered yourself "orthodox" or "traditional" .... but if you considered yourself Christian. I'm going to count you as non-Christian here, and as such I know better than to use any Christian authority in an attempt to resolve differences or understanding.

The next logical question concerns what you actually do believe. Of all places this could be asked, you're being asked on a Theology forum. If you really have no objective standard of truth or higher authority and simply decide for yourself what you want to believe, then you will also save us a lot of time if you will simply state this up front. But if there is something you accept, this is the perfect time to state what and why. Thanks.

Arthur Brain

If you do not consider yourself Christian, why don't you just come out and say so when specifically asked? Again, I didn't ask if you considered yourself "orthodox" or "traditional" .... but if you considered yourself Christian. I'm going to count you as non-Christian here, and as such I know better than to use any Christian authority in an attempt to resolve differences or understanding.

The next logical question concerns what you actually do believe. Of all places this could be asked, you're being asked on a Theology forum. If you really have no objective standard of truth or higher authority and simply decide for yourself what you want to believe, then you will also save us a lot of time if you will simply state this up front. But if there is something you accept, this is the perfect time to state what and why. Thanks.

Labels have never meant much to me and given the amount of controversy over who's a heretic on "Christian belief" you can push the matter as you will. You've had your answer.

Rosenritter

Labels have never meant much to me and given the amount of controversy over who's a heretic on "Christian belief" you can push the matter as you will. You've had your answer.

Arthur, you already know that one does not have to be a professing Christian to participate in these forums; they only need to agree to confirm to certain rules and standards of conduct. Given your reluctance to state what you consider as a valid starting point for agreement or so that we might find a commonly-accepted source of authority it doesn't seem that you are engaging in this discussion in good faith.

Now, good faith isn't a requirement to share the forums, but it's something I personally require in conversation.

Arthur Brain

Arthur, you already know that one does not have to be a professing Christian to participate in these forums; they only need to agree to confirm to certain rules and standards of conduct. Given your reluctance to state what you consider as a valid starting point for agreement or so that we might find a commonly-accepted source of authority it doesn't seem that you are engaging in this discussion in good faith.

Now, good faith isn't a requirement to share the forums, but it's something I personally require in conversation.

Then you had your answer some posts back if it meant that much to you. A non conformist, non orthodox guy who ain't an atheist. Not interested in denominations or sects etc and not ascribed to any "church". That help any? Labels mean squat to me.

Rosenritter

Then you had your answer some posts back if it meant that much to you. A non conformist, non orthodox guy who ain't an atheist. Not interested in denominations or sects etc and not ascribed to any "church". That help any? Labels mean squat to me.

Do you know what the term "good faith" means? It has nothing to do with religious affiliation.

good faith
noun

• honesty or sincerity of intention.
    "the details contained in this brochure have been published in good faith"