Why "Conversion Therapy" Should Be Illegal

Arthur Brain

It doesn't work and it's abusive:

The first five results on Google for "Does Conversion Therapy Work?"

https://www.livescience.com/25082-gay-conversion-therapy-facts.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickstr...sion-therapy?utm_term=.tdVrmPql0N#.wkQJLo9BVN

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...rs/201801/conversion-therapy-isnt-therapy-all

https://www.quora.com/Does-voluntary-gay-conversion-therapy-work

The following five are no more positive and given that the "practices" have been roundly condemned as not only quackery but harmful in accredited scientific circles and that's there's no credible evidence that homosexuals can be "cured" anyway then what justification is there for "therapy centers" to be open anywhere at all?

Good for New Hampshire to be the latest state to outlaw such abuse but unfortunately there's still places where it's legal for minors to be forced into what is nothing other than degrading and harmful "treatment".

How can that be acceptable to anyone?

glorydaz

It doesn't work and it's abusive:

The first five results on Google for "Does Conversion Therapy Work?"

https://www.livescience.com/25082-gay-conversion-therapy-facts.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickstr...sion-therapy?utm_term=.tdVrmPql0N#.wkQJLo9BVN

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...rs/201801/conversion-therapy-isnt-therapy-all

https://www.quora.com/Does-voluntary-gay-conversion-therapy-work

The following five are no more positive and given that the "practices" have been roundly condemned as not only quackery but harmful in accredited scientific circles and that's there's no credible evidence that homosexuals can be "cured" anyway then what justification is there for "therapy centers" to be open anywhere at all?

Good for New Hampshire to be the latest state to outlaw such abuse but unfortunately there's still places where it's legal for minors to be forced into what is nothing other than degrading and harmful "treatment".

Minors are being forced into diversity classes in public schools, including transgender indoctrination. That should be illegal, then those conversion therapies wouldn't be needed.

Arthur Brain

Minors are being forced into diversity classes in public schools, including transgender indoctrination. That should be illegal, then those conversion therapies wouldn't be needed.

Conversion therapies aren't needed, don't work and have been proven to be harmful but you think they are needed? Why?

Educating children that not everyone is straight or can do anything about it isn't abuse, it's fact and will reduce ignorance and bullying.

Last edited:

glorydaz

Conversion therapies aren't needed, don't work and have been proven to be harmful but you think they are needed? Why?

I'm saying there would be no need.

Educating children that not everyone is straight or can do anything about isn't abuse, it's fact and will reduce ignorance and bullying.

No, it's planting seeds that don't need to be planted.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

IF the desire is dictated to the well being of the minor, it's not acceptable.

glorydaz

What need is there for pseudoscience practices that don't work and are abusive and damaging in the first place? Hence why they're being systematically outlawed for those very reasons?

I have no idea what "therapies" are out there, but know quite well how selective reporting works.

Oh, you think it'll turn kids gay or something?

It certainly does cause confusion amongst children who are susceptible to many unhealthy and ungodly things. Early exposure to sex does the same. That's why we are called to protect our children from things of this world.

Arthur Brain

I have no idea what "therapies" are out there, but know quite well how selective reporting works.

Easy enough to find out and there's plenty accredited evidence from professional associations and bodies that roundly condemn it. In the more extreme cases it would include electro shock therapy, sometimes to the genitals, being made to drink substances that would induce vomiting while exposed to homoerotic imagery, being called degrading names etc. Like I said, easy enough to verify.

It certainly does cause confusion amongst children who are susceptible to many unhealthy and ungodly things. Early exposure to sex does the same. That's why we are called to protect our children from things of this world.

Educating children that not everybody is the same or only attracted to the opposite sex isn't actually talking about "sex" and will help reduce ignorance, bullying and aid those who have issues to be able to talk them instead of feeling trapped as many have in the past.

Kit the Coyote

Easy enough to find out and there's plenty accredited evidence from professional associations and bodies that roundly condemn it. In the more extreme cases it would include electro shock therapy, sometimes to the genitals, being made to drink substances that would induce vomiting while exposed to homoerotic imagery, being called degrading names etc. Like I said, easy enough to verify.

Sounds a lot like Clockwork Orange. Laughs
Another major problem that arises in these therapies is many are using outdated ideas about abusive parents, uncaring fathers or dominate mothers. They then fill kids heads with the message 'it is your father or mother's fault you are like this'. So often when the minor returns home they wind up hating their parents and destroying the family. It rather ironic since it is often the parents that forced them into the program in the first place.

Arthur Brain

Sounds a lot like Clockwork Orange. Laughs
Another major problem that arises in these therapies is many are using outdated ideas about abusive parents, uncaring fathers or dominate mothers. They then fill kids heads with the message 'it is your father or mother's fault you are like this'. So often when the minor returns home they wind up hating their parents and destroying the family. It rather ironic since it is often the parents that forced them into the program in the first place.

It's ironic alright. For people like aCultureWarrior there's no such thing as someone simply being homosexual. They have to have been through some sort of "trauma", be it abuse or molestation in childhood or absent fathers, upheaval etc. It's an untenable position to maintain but then, you'll find that out if you continue on his seven year ongoing "Why Homosexuality Must Be Re-criminalized!" blog.

Kit the Coyote

It's ironic alright. For people like aCultureWarrior there's no such thing as someone simply being homosexual. They have to have been through some sort of "trauma", be it abuse or molestation in childhood or absent fathers, upheaval etc. It's an untenable position to maintain but then, you'll find that out if you continue on his seven year ongoing "Why Homosexuality Must Be Re-criminalized!" blog.

Yes he was bending over backwards to tell me that I must have had such in my childhood and that my relationship with my wife and son was imagined. It is a sad thing when a supposed Christian is left with bearing false witness and imagined claims against a complete stranger rather than question his stereotypes.

Arthur Brain

Yes he was bending over backwards to tell me that I must have had such in my childhood and that my relationship with my wife and son was imagined. It is a sad thing when a supposed Christian is left with bearing false witness and imagined claims against a complete stranger rather than question his stereotypes.

He has a history on here of implying that those who disagree with his position on homosexuality as a crime are gay themselves or rabid homosexual activists. You're far from the only one he's pulled that shtick on. He's done it with me plenty of times to the point where it can really only be projection on his part. Some of his innuendo on here about straight people being gay has gotten him booted off the forum from time to time so keep in mind that you're not talking with someone renowned for objectivity or critical thinking skills...

;)

Kit the Coyote

He has a history on here of implying that those who disagree with his position on homosexuality as a crime are gay themselves or rabid homosexual activists. You're far from the only one he's pulled that shtick on. He's done it with me plenty of times to the point where it can really only be projection on his part. Some of his innuendo on here about straight people being gay has gotten him booted off the forum from time to time so keep in mind that you're not talking with someone renowned for objectivity or critical thinking skills...

;)

Well I will freely admit in terms of sexual orientation I am a bi-sexual. I've also happily married over 30 years now to a wonderful woman and we have two fine sons, one of whom is homosexual. No childhood traumas or abuse to be found. But he simply finds that idea unacceptable and has been throwing out silly accusations like accusing my wife of being a transexual, that we are non-monagaomus swingers, etc. I largely ignore it and forgive him because I understand that he has this mental problem with dealing with anything that doesn't fit in his worldview.

Arthur Brain

Well I will freely admit in terms of sexual orientation I am a bi-sexual. I've also happily married over 30 years now to a wonderful woman and we have two fine sons, one of whom is homosexual. No childhood traumas or abuse to be found. But he simply finds that idea unacceptable and has been throwing out silly accusations like accusing my wife of being a transexual, that we are non-monagaomus swingers, etc. I largely ignore it and forgive him because I understand that he has this mental problem with dealing with anything that doesn't fit in his worldview.

That's candidly honest on your part and you'll get no criticism or accusations of dishonesty and the like from me. The thing is, I'm reasonable and aCW isn't. ;) In his world, people being gay or bi-sexual without something happening to cause it can't compute. He's not the only one who "thinks" this but he's certainly the most obsessed on the topic. Unfortunately, there's no room for objective reason with people bound by such zealous belief systems. You either have to have been abused or traumatised as a youth or equally bizarrely, you've actually "chosen" to be something other than heterosexual in their view. People on here have insisted that I could "choose" to become gay and even attracted to inanimate objects if I "trained" myself despite being straight. Go figure...

Kit the Coyote

That's candidly honest on your part and you'll get no criticism or accusations of dishonesty and the like from me. The thing is, I'm reasonable and aCW isn't. ;) In his world, people being gay or bi-sexual without something happening to cause it can't compute. He's not the only one who "thinks" this but he's certainly the most obsessed on the topic. Unfortunately, there's no room for objective reason with people bound by such zealous belief systems. You either have to have been abused or traumatised as a youth or equally bizarrely, you've actually "chosen" to be something other than heterosexual in their view. People on here have insisted that I could "choose" to become gay and even attracted to inanimate objects if I "trained" myself despite being straight. Go figure...

*laughs* I've always found amusing that the folks who think you can 'choose' to be gay never actually bother to do the one thing that would bolster their point, decide to be gay for a few years. There some activists out there who will pay real money to see you do it. But of course, you have to actually do it, not just say you did. So setting the ground rules of such a bet/experiment is critical.

Arthur Brain

*laughs* I've always found amusing that the folks who think you can 'choose' to be gay never actually bother to do the one thing that would bolster their point, decide to be gay for a few years. There some activists out there who will pay real money to see you do it. But of course, you have to actually do it, not just say you did. So setting the ground rules of such a bet/experiment is critical.

You'll often find that the very same people who insist it can be chosen claim to be repulsed at the very notion themselves. I'm straight although there was no choice in it, just wired that way and no amount of money could change that. I could pretend, hang around a few gay bars or something but my attraction wouldn't change and the pretense would collapse after a while. There's also the fact that some of the most vociferous voices on homosexuality also happen to be projecting. There used to be a poster on here who was even more loopy on the subject than aCW called "Just Tom" who routinely made bonkers posts about how gays should be executed. Didn't take long to realize that he was in the closet himself which he finally admitted after pressing.

Arthur Brain

AB, the following 3 minute video is mostly very astute words on these issues - by a former "homosexual..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpzznl22H3A&app=desktop

Thus, Romans 5:6-8 - in EACH our STEAD.

Well, I don't reduce people to their sexual attractions as if that's what identifies them as a person anyway. They're simply terms that describe one facet of humanity but they're hardly "redundant" as such. On one level I identify as heterosexual as I'm exclusively attracted to women so on that score it's an apt term to use. In other areas it would be entirely irrelevant.

Danoh

Much of both the understanding of temptations in general, and of the Believer's specific equipping towards dealing with said temptations (her's being "homosexual" urges in particular) asserted on this video is very much just like the understanding of, and specific equipping against, temptations in general, often written of by the Apostle Paul.

Twelve minutes on...

"How Does The Gospel Equip Christians Who Struggle With Same Sex Attraction"

The first five minutes alone are gold (as are many of the rest of her eloquent words).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKTE5r51es&app=desktop

Finding trouble identifying with these people?

Simply ask yourself "have I ever had similar Heterosexual temptations?"

If so, well then...

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Because Romans 5:6-8.