Why are christians celebrating christmas ?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
ferdin08
I will be glad to celebrate the birth of Christ with you on the actual anniversary of His birth! Just let me know when that is exactly and we can throw a party!
Calculating from the Bible, Jesus' birthday would be about September 29/30.
We can do the same with Resurrection day, just let me know.
See thread on same.

genuineoriginal

ferdin08,, is just a new know-it-all, troublemaker, which makes him a pest
me annoying person i just posted why are seeing the post
It is impossible to get anyone to take anything you say seriously unless you develop some better communication skills.
Your post looks like you wanted to say, "I am a knowing person. I only posted, so why are you seeing me as a pest?"

What your post actually communicates is that you do not have a basic junior high school education, you have trouble reading and you have even more trouble writing. Anything you think you know is filtered through your ignorance and inability to comprehend, and when you try to share the message it is distorted by your lack of any communication skills.

Why should anyone think you are anything more than a pest?

genuineoriginal

I am a newbie here..! first of all thanks to everyone who are going to tell their opinion :dead:

Here are some facts :
1. There is no biblical evidence that Dec. 25 was Jesus birth date,

2.Luke tells us that the shepherds were keeping their sheep in the fields at night when Jesus was born. "And she [Mary] brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night" (Luke 2:7-8
, emphasis added throughout).
But late December is Judea's cold and rainy season. Would shepherds actually keep their fragile flocks out in the open fields on a cold late-December night near Bethlehem?
No responsible shepherd would subject his sheep to the elements at that time of year when cold rains, and occasional snow, are common in that region.

3.Luke also tells us that Jesus was born at the time of a census ordered by the Roman emperor (Luke 2:1-3). The Romans were brilliant administrators; they certainly would not have ordered people to journey to be registered at a time of year when roads would have been wet and muddy and traveling conditions miserable. Such a move would have been self-defeating on its face.

4.If the Christmas holiday is an important celebration to honor the birth of Jesus Christ, why is it nowhere mentioned in the Bible? Why didn't Christ instruct His closest followers, His 12 chosen apostles, to keep Christmas? Why didn't they institute or teach it to the early Church?

**Before you answer, consider that Jesus gave great authority to His 12 apostles, assuring them that they will hold positions of great importance and responsibility in His Kingdom (Matthew 18:18
; 19:28; Luke 22:29-30). But since Jesus never taught His apostles to keep Christmas, nor did they ever teach it to the Church though they had years of opportunity to do so, shouldn't that make us question whether Christmas is something Jesus really wants or appreciates?**

5. Jeremiah 10:3-4
A tree from the forest is cut down
and worked with an axe by the hands of a craftsman.
4 They decorate it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so that it cannot move.
**see the orgin of xmas tree**

6.The Christmas holiday is largely a recycled pagan celebration.
Again, surprising but true! Read it for yourself in just about any encyclopedia.
Consider the customs associated with Christmas. What do decorated evergreen trees, holly, mistletoe, yule logs, a jolly plump man in a fur-lined red suit, sleighs and flying reindeer have to do with the birth of Jesus Christ?
None of these things have anything to do with Him, but they have a lot to do with ancient pagan festivals. (Read the eye-opening details in our free booklet Holidays or Holy Days: Does It Matter Which Days We Keep? )
And what about the date of Dec. 25? How did it come to be assigned as the supposed date of Jesus Christ's birth? Historians Gerard and Patricia Del Re explain:
"The tradition of celebrating December 25 as Christ's birthday came to the Romans from Persia. Mithra, the Persian god of light and sacred contracts, was born out of a rock on December 25. Rome was famous for its flirtations with strange gods and cults, and in the third century the unchristian emperor Aurelian established the festival of Dies Invicti Solis, the Day of the Invincible Sun, on December 25.
"Mithra was an embodiment of the sun, so this period of its rebirth was a major day in Mithraism, which had become Rome's latest official religion . . . It is believed that the emperor Constantine adhered to Mithraism up to the time of his conversion to Christianity. He was probably instrumental in seeing that the major feast of his old religion was carried over to his new faith" ( The Christmas Almanac, 1979, p. 17).
It's difficult to determine the first time anyone celebrated Dec. 25 as Christmas, but historians generally agree that it was sometime during the fourth century—some 300 years after Christ's death. And then a contrived date was chosen because it was already a popular pagan holiday celebrating the birth of the sun god!
Similarly, virtually all of the customs associated with Christmas are recycled from ancient pagan festivals honoring other gods.

What you gonna do christians? **for example** If you have a son/daughter and they have birthday on july 5,and am telling to celebrate it on september 16 means do you appreciate? then how the god can appreciate that?..

FAMOUS WORDS COME TO MIND - "If 50 million people believe a foolish thing, it's still a foolish thing." -- George Bernard Shaw.

wake up christians....worship the god our lord in the way he wanted...! God bless you all

WATCH THIS VIDEO BEFORE YOU DO ANY COMMENTS/DISCUSSIONS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RdJvQg7YqI

**share your thoughts**

When you post someone else's work on TOL, you must also give them credit for it.
http://www.ucg.org/doctrinal-beliefs/why-some-christians-dont-celebrate-christmas/

GuySmiley

I am a newbie here..! first of all thanks to everyone who are going to tell their opinion :dead:

Here are some facts :
True.

2.Luke tells us that the shepherds were keeping their sheep in the fields at night when Jesus was born.
True.

3.Luke also tells us that Jesus was born at the time of a census ordered by the Roman emperor (Luke 2:1-3).
True.

4.If the Christmas holiday is an important celebration to honor the birth of Jesus Christ, why is it nowhere mentioned in the Bible? Why didn't Christ instruct His closest followers, His 12 chosen apostles, to keep Christmas? Why didn't they institute or teach it to the early Church?
Ok.

Ok, but Jer. 10:3-4 is not the origin of the Christmas tree.

Again, surprising but true! Read it for yourself in just about any encyclopedia.
True, its not a suprise to anyone btw.

What you gonna do christians?
I'm going to celebrate Christmas as the if it were a celebration of the birth of Jesus, even though I know its not. I'm also going to have a Christmas tree with decorations. I'll have a Santa Claus in my house and lights outside and inside. We'll have a natvity set up in our house too, in the same room as the tree, right on the mantle above the stockings. I'll be aware that Christmas was probably stolen from pagans, and I'll laugh about that.

Here's what Im not going to do. I'm not going to worship the tree, even accidentally, as if that could happen. I'm not going to worship pagan gods, not even subconsciously, as if that could happen. I'm also not going to think that Dec 25th is the actual day Jesus was born.

ferdin08

True.

True.

True.

Ok.

Ok, but Jer. 10:3-4 is not the origin of the Christmas tree.

True, its not a suprise to anyone btw.

I'm going to celebrate Christmas as the if it were a celebration of the birth of Jesus, even though I know its not. I'm also going to have a Christmas tree with decorations. I'll have a Santa Claus in my house and lights outside and inside. We'll have a natvity set up in our house too, in the same room as the tree, right on the mantle above the stockings. I'll be aware that Christmas was probably stolen from pagans, and I'll laugh about that.

Here's what Im not going to do. I'm not going to worship the tree, even accidentally, as if that could happen. I'm not going to worship pagan gods, not even subconsciously, as if that could happen. I'm also not going to think that Dec 25th is the actual day Jesus was born.

ORGIN OF THE XMAS TREE MEANS THEY DATED BACK TO 1000 OF YEARS BEFORE JESUS WAS BORN....ITS NOTED IN BIBLE ITS AN IDOL...

YOU GOING TO CELEBRATE...CELEBRATE IT THEN BUT YOU ARE DISOBEYING YOUR LORD....!

ANYONE OF YOU KEEPING SABBATH ? EVEN JESUS DID :p
ROMAN CATHOLIC JUST MERGED THAT WITH EASTER...:)

HW CAN YOU PRACTICE SUCH THINGS WHICH WERE NOT APPROVED BY THE GOD ?

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Good to hear but no one knows for sure :) better stay away from xmas i think so..in my point of you..am not forcing anyone :)
just want to spread the truth..that so many dont know :)

I would guess that if you were to have taken a pole...every single person on TOL be it Christian or otherwise already knew that which you are suggesting so many don't know.

GuySmiley

ORGIN OF THE XMAS TREE MEANS THEY DATED BACK TO 1000 OF YEARS BEFORE JESUS WAS BORN....ITS NOTED IN BIBLE ITS AN IDOL...

YOU GOING TO CELEBRATE...CELEBRATE IT THEN BUT YOU ARE DISOBEYING YOUR LORD....!

NO, I have a fake tree, so I dont cut it from a forest, and I dont put any real gold or silver on the tree, just plastic and glass. And I NEVER nail it to the floor. You are WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!! :dunce:

PS, my tree has toppled before too, so I'm pretty safe that way.

OMEGA

FOR 8 YEARS

I have been telling these posters here on TOL

that Christmas is a Pagan Tradition

which God Hates.

BUT THEY ARE STUCK IN THEIR PAGAN TRADITIONS.

Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people are vain:

for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold

they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright but speak not and they cannot do evil nor good.

Re 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

Re 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

ferdin08

FOR 8 YEARS

which God Hates.

Re 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

Re 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

for 8 years? none followed uh.even see the above comments none going to follow...still trying to keep their tradition...

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am a newbie here.
Hello, newbie.
Welcome to TOL.

I know.

Jesus never taught His apostles to keep Christmas,
I know.
Jesus did teach His apostles to keep the law, which included the feasts.
How did you celebrate Passover this year, and on what day did you do that?

I know.
God searches the heart. Do you think a Christian celebrating Christmas is really doing so to worship other gods in their heart of hearts?

FAMOUS WORDS COME TO MIND - "If 50 million people believe a foolish thing, it's still a foolish thing." -- George Bernard Shaw.
So true.

And if you believe that Christians taking the time to reflect on the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ on December 25th is a bad thing to do, then you are believing a foolish thing.

genuineoriginal

**UNFORTUNATLY I DIDNT POST FULLY :) READ MINE FIRST AND READ THAT TOO :p.....ANY WAY YOU TOLD HERE THATS GOOD :) ..
YOU FORGOT TO MENTION THE YOUTUBE VIDEOS TOO....PLZ GIVE THEM CREDIT TOO :)

You are new, and don't know the rules.

I mentioned one rule, you didn't like that, so you broke another.

Here is the relevant rules you broke.

You should follow the link in the blue arrow next to Knight and read the rest.
. . .

6. Thou SHALL NOT post copyrighted material on our website (without prior approval). Plagiarism is also a bannable offense - If you are posting material written by others, make sure to give them credit.

. . .

Other things to avoid...

. . .

Please do not post in ALL CAPS or in all bolded text.

. . .

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

From the rules page---->
Please do not post in ALL CAPS or in all bolded text.
All caps is the typed version of yelling. No need to yell. :e4e:

IMJerusha

I am a newbie here..! first of all thanks to everyone who are going to tell their opinion

First of all welcome to TOL.

Here are some facts :

Nope, there sure ain't. So?....your birthday isn't in the Bible either.:idunno:

2.Luke tells us that the shepherds were keeping their sheep in the fields at night when Jesus was born. "And she [Mary] brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night" (Luke 2:7-8
, emphasis added throughout).
But late December is Judea's cold and rainy season. Would shepherds actually keep their fragile flocks out in the open fields on a cold late-December night near Bethlehem?
No responsible shepherd would subject his sheep to the elements at that time of year when cold rains, and occasional snow, are common in that region.

Yup, so?

3.Luke also tells us that Jesus was born at the time of a census ordered by the Roman emperor (Luke 2:1-3). The Romans were brilliant administrators; they certainly would not have ordered people to journey to be registered at a time of year when roads would have been wet and muddy and traveling conditions miserable. Such a move would have been self-defeating on its face.

You don't say!

I don't suppose you celebrate your birthday?

**Before you answer, consider that Jesus gave great authority to His 12 apostles, assuring them that they will hold positions of great importance and responsibility in His Kingdom (Matthew 18:18
; 19:28; Luke 22:29-30). But since Jesus never taught His apostles to keep Christmas, nor did they ever teach it to the Church though they had years of opportunity to do so, shouldn't that make us question whether Christmas is something Jesus really wants or appreciates?**

Oops, too late!

A tree from the forest is cut down
and worked with an axe by the hands of a craftsman.
4 They decorate it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so that it cannot move.

I'd like to see some proof that these verses are speaking of Christmas trees and the last time I checked, an idol is something that is worshipped. I certainly don't worship any Christmas tree, I don't care how nice one looks.

Consider the customs associated with Christmas. What do decorated evergreen trees, holly, mistletoe, yule logs, a jolly plump man in a fur-lined red suit, sleighs and flying reindeer have to do with the birth of Jesus Christ?
None of these things have anything to do with Him, but they have a lot to do with ancient pagan festivals. (Read the eye-opening details in our free booklet Holidays or Holy Days: Does It Matter Which Days We Keep? )
And what about the date of Dec. 25? How did it come to be assigned as the supposed date of Jesus Christ's birth? Historians Gerard and Patricia Del Re explain:
"The tradition of celebrating December 25 as Christ's birthday came to the Romans from Persia. Mithra, the Persian god of light and sacred contracts, was born out of a rock on December 25. Rome was famous for its flirtations with strange gods and cults, and in the third century the unchristian emperor Aurelian established the festival of Dies Invicti Solis, the Day of the Invincible Sun, on December 25.
"Mithra was an embodiment of the sun, so this period of its rebirth was a major day in Mithraism, which had become Rome's latest official religion . . . It is believed that the emperor Constantine adhered to Mithraism up to the time of his conversion to Christianity. He was probably instrumental in seeing that the major feast of his old religion was carried over to his new faith" ( The Christmas Almanac, 1979, p. 17).
It's difficult to determine the first time anyone celebrated Dec. 25 as Christmas, but historians generally agree that it was sometime during the fourth century—some 300 years after Christ's death. And then a contrived date was chosen because it was already a popular pagan holiday celebrating the birth of the sun god!
Similarly, virtually all of the customs associated with Christmas are recycled from ancient pagan festivals honoring other gods.

What you gonna do christians? **for example** If you have a son/daughter and they have birthday on july 5,and am telling to celebrate it on september 16 means do you appreciate? then how the god can appreciate that?..

You know what I'm not gonna do? I'm not going to go around scattering when Yeshua calls us to gather. I have no problem with people who wish to celebrate God's gift to us on Dec. 25th or any other day. People think they've got God all figured out, stuffed in a box with a pretty ribbon around it and they have His blessing for doing that. Well, um, I don't think so.

Hmm, looking to man to explain God when He has provided all the Word and Truth that we need. Last time I checked, George Bernard Shaw is not God.

wake up christians....worship the god our lord in the way he wanted...! God bless you all

Your blessing fell in the spit you issued on your Brothers and Sisters. Yeshua didn't offer His love mixed with His spit. Wanna try again?

WATCH THIS VIDEO BEFORE YOU DO ANY COMMENTS/DISCUSSIONS:

No thanks....I'll stick with God's Word. Have a nice day, though! :wave:

Last edited:

IMJerusha

FOR 8 YEARS

which God Hates.

You poor, put upon person! :jawdrop:

So, why haven't you shaken the dust from your feet? Seriously, you're not supposed to hang around pagans that refuse to accept your oh so righteous teaching. :confused:

This Charming Manc

Romans 14

14 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’”
12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.[c]

In short lighten up and don't sweat the small stuff