Who Here Chose To Be Heterosexual?

Quincy

That's the funniest picture I have seen in my life, Arthur. Hahahaha, oh my gosh. Whooooooo, that's good haha. If only you all could see all the jokes I see in that picture.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Furthermore, how could you *choose* to be homosexual if you're straight?
I'm not sure I understand why people are getting upset by the question. I suppose there are only two possible answers...and I suspect that both are applicable. First, some people may well be born with a same sex attraction. Second, some people may, for various psychological reasons along a range, choose or through trauma have their orientation altered from the norm.

I've never seen this as a meaningful line in the sand. I may be born with any number of impulses. But I am responsible, morally, for the choices I make in relation to them.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Furthermore, how could you *choose* to be homosexual if you're straight?
Sin is always a choice, goof ball. "born that way" is a pop culture lie and an excuse not to seek help for this behavior that becomes addictive once you start it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I've never seen this as a meaningful line in the sand. I may be born with any number of impulses. But I am responsible, morally, for the choices I make in relation to them.

Well said. It is not a sin to have a tendency to sin. It is only a sin to act on it.

doloresistere

I'm not sure I understand why people are getting upset by the question. I suppose there are only two possible answers...and I suspect that both are applicable. First, some people may well be born with a same sex attraction. Second, some people may, for various psychological reasons along a range, choose or through trauma have their orientation altered from the norm.

I want to make it perfectly clear that I am strongly heterosexual before I go any further. What I highlighted in yellow applies to me though. My orientation is still for women, it is just that certain aspects of that orientation have changed from the norm due to psychological reasons.

Arthur Brain

Sin is always a choice, goof ball. "born that way" is a pop culture lie and an excuse not to seek help for this behavior that becomes addictive once you start it.

Who's on about sin here Inzl? It's not like I've started a thread about lying or anything, and nor have I started a thread about acting on sexual or other impulses. How could you not see that? I'm asking whether or not people choose to be heterosexual. I didn't, I just am, and personally find it ludicrous to suggest that a heterosexual person can subsequently *choose* to find their own gender attractive. Any comments on topic?

Arthur Brain

Have you read lovemeorhateme's testimony? He chose to walk away from homosexuality.

Yes, I have read it. I can't relate to it so much on a personal level as I've never had any attraction to my own gender to begin with. Nor could I myself 'choose' to start finding such appealing. Not a chance....you?

Cruciform

...but can you apply the following to adulterers, fornicators, pedophiles, thieves, liars, or murderers?
"They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided."
I think so, in the sense that no one---no matter what particular sin(s) he might be prone to---should be unjustly discriminated against, but should be treated with the respect, compassion, and sensitivity due to all human beings as the created image of God (imago dei).

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

You're conflating action with attraction with this.
No, rather I'm distinguishing carefully between the two.

To commit a homosexual act one would need to be attracted to the same gender. So where is the choice in that?
And yet to experience the attraction (temptation) does not necessarily mean that one must commit the act (sin). That is where the choice resides.

Similarly, I might experience an ongoing sexual attraction ("orientation") for women other than my wife. However, the mere fact that I experience such an attraction (temptation) does not mean that I therefore must engage in the act (sin). That is where the choice resides.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, I have read it. I can't relate to it so much on a personal level as I've never had any attraction to my own gender to begin with. Nor could I myself 'choose' to start finding such appealing. Not a chance....you?

You have no idea what ways your perceptions could have been altered if you had been exposed to certain things in impressionable times of your life.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not a chance--I've always been attracted to one specific male--my husband. But I have known people that have walked away from homosexuality.

Arthur Brain

Here is a clue

Right here right now.

Plenty

How so? By being forthright enough to say I had no choice in being heterosexual, and asking others if they made a conscious choice regardless of any actual sexual behaviour being part of the OP? That ruffles feathers?!

Why?

Arthur Brain

You have no idea what ways your perceptions could have been altered if you had been exposed to certain things in impressionable times of your life.

Quite possibly, but I didn't need to hit puberty before I knew where my attractions lay, even if not fully understanding them at that time.

Believe it or not I once had a friend call me homophobic (in half jest really) because I flat out said I simply couldn't find another bloke desirable. She seemed to think that I was closed minded, yet I've heard zealots on here proclaim that I can indeed choose to turn homosexual if I so wanted, which is just as whacked out to me.

People eh?

Arthur Brain

Not a chance--I've always been attracted to one specific male--my husband. But I have known people that have walked away from homosexuality.

Well, you won't have always been attracted to him, you'd have had to meet him first...;)

I certainly couldn't "choose" to walk away from heterosexuality. It's as wired in me as my abhorrence for peanut butter....