White Privilege thread

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A cousin of mine did some genealogical research on our family name. According to him we had a Sephardi Jew ancestor who immigrated from Spain to Mexico in the middle of the 16th century. My last name is very uncommon in Mexico but is more common in Puerto Rico.

So you are from the Bronx?

Daniel1611

There is exegesis and there is eisegesis, there is opinion and conclusion.
Three hundred and sixty degrees in a circle and the view from each vantage point is slightly different.

Who is a LIAR but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ?

Where is my eisegesis? It literally says that anyone who denies that Jesus is the Christ is a LIAR. Therefore, people that practice Judaism are liars. They lie by saying that Jesus is not the Christ. So why be surprised when they lie about other things?

bybee

Who is a LIAR but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ?

Where is my eisegesis? It literally says that anyone who denies that Jesus is the Christ is a LIAR. Therefore, people that practice Judaism are liars. They lie by saying that Jesus is not the Christ. So why be surprised when they lie about other things?

God chose a People for His purposes. I tend to the things God has given to me and leave the rest in His hands.

Do you think that we can love and judge at the same time?

The Berean

Epstein on Welcome Back Kotter was a Puerto Rican Jew.

Yes, he was! And he had the GREATEST white man's afro in history!

rh.jpg

The Berean

I, Racist.

A couple weeks ago, I was debating what I was going to talk about in this sermon. I told Pastor Kelly Ryan I had great reservations talking about the one topic that I think about every single day.

Then, a terrorist massacred nine innocent people in a church that I went to, in a city that I still think of as home. At that point, I knew that despite any misgivings, I needed to talk about race.

You see, I don’t talk about race with White people.

To illustrate why, I'll tell a story:

It was probably about 15 years ago when a conversation took place between my aunt, who is White and lives in New York State, and my sister, who is Black and lives in North Carolina. This conversation can be distilled to a single sentence, said by my Black sister:

“The only difference between people in the North and people in the South
is that down here, at least people are honest about being racist.”
There was a lot more to that conversation, obviously, but I suggest that it can be distilled into that one sentence because it has been, by my White aunt. Over a decade later, this sentence is still what she talks about. It has become the single most important aspect of my aunt’s relationship with my Black family. She is still hurt by the suggestion that people in New York, that she, a northerner, a liberal, a good person who has Black family members, is a racist.

This perfectly illustrates why I don’t talk about race with White people. Even — or rather, especially — my own family.

There are several points of this article I do not agree with.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I am just thankful that I don't have to fear police who stop me for any reason.
And I also appreciate that I will be considered a worthy tenant when I am looking for a good rental.

bybee

I, Racist.

A couple weeks ago, I was debating what I was going to talk about in this sermon. I told Pastor Kelly Ryan I had great reservations talking about the one topic that I think about every single day.

Then, a terrorist massacred nine innocent people in a church that I went to, in a city that I still think of as home. At that point, I knew that despite any misgivings, I needed to talk about race.

You see, I don’t talk about race with White people.

To illustrate why, I'll tell a story:

It was probably about 15 years ago when a conversation took place between my aunt, who is White and lives in New York State, and my sister, who is Black and lives in North Carolina. This conversation can be distilled to a single sentence, said by my Black sister:

“The only difference between people in the North and people in the South
is that down here, at least people are honest about being racist.”
There was a lot more to that conversation, obviously, but I suggest that it can be distilled into that one sentence because it has been, by my White aunt. Over a decade later, this sentence is still what she talks about. It has become the single most important aspect of my aunt’s relationship with my Black family. She is still hurt by the suggestion that people in New York, that she, a northerner, a liberal, a good person who has Black family members, is a racist.

This perfectly illustrates why I don’t talk about race with White people. Even — or rather, especially — my own family.

There are several points of this article I do not agree with.

Because I like you so much I am using great care in this response. By now you know that my family is multi-racial.
If, because I am white, I am to be labeled racist regardless of my words and deeds and history then you have boxed me into a corner and I won't stand for that.

The Berean

Because I like you so much I am using great care in this response. By now you know that my family is multi-racial.
If, because I am white, I am to be labeled racist regardless of my words and deeds and history then you have boxed me into a corner and I won't stand for that.

This is the part I don't agree with the author. He says this.

I love my (white) aunt. She’s actually my favorite aunt, and believe me,I have a lot of awesome aunts to choose from. But the facts are actually quite in my sister’s favor on this one.

New York State is one of the most segregated states in the country. Buffalo, New York, where my aunt lives, is one of the 10 most segregated school systems in the country. The racial inequality of the area she inhabits is so bad that it has been the subject of reports by the Civil Rights Action Network and the NAACP.

Those, however, are facts that my aunt does not need to know. She does not need to live with the racial segregation and oppression of her home. As a white person with upward mobility, she has continued to improve her situation. She moved out of the area I grew up in– she moved to an area with better schools. She doesn't have to experience racism, and so it is not real to her.

Nor does it dawn on her that the very fact that she moved away from an increasingly Black neighborhood to live in a White suburb might itself be a aspect of racism. She doesn't need to realize that “better schools” exclusively means “whiter schools.”

I disagree with this viewpoint and find it extremely unfair towards white people. The author even hints at this.

What they are affected by are attacks on their own character. To my aunt, the suggestion that “people in The North are racist” is an attack on her as a racist. She is unable to differentiate her participation within a racist system (upwardly mobile, not racially profiled, able to move to White suburbs, etc.) from an accusation that she, individually, is a racist. Without being able to make that differentiation, White people in general decide to vigorously defend their own personal non-racism, or point out that it doesn't exist because they don't see it.

bybee

You make good points. How I wish we could all get past this old hurt and also realize that the hurt exists because it must.
But my dear child we must forgive and move on and we must take care of ourselves all of ourselves.

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
"White Privilege" does not exist. It is a perspective of the ignorant, which wants to see only white people treated well and blacks the opposite.

The truth is lies within a politically incorrect truth- blacks are highly adversarial to each other, especially in inner city areas. It is this party which contrasts itself to white people, who are not very adversarial to each other, and walk through otherwise the same obstacles.

I live in a very ghetto area, but it's not really bad nonetheless. We all co-exist peacefully, white and black, because are simply not racist minded. There is no such dichotomy of privilage- we're all in low income housing.

Leave political correctness, lobbyists, and all the tripe where it belongs.

bybee

If you watch very young children at play color doesn't matter. And the elderly (generally) are comfortable with each other regardless of color.
I'm sure that white privilege exists but it is weakening as access to education and jobs expands.